Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kit1
    • By Kit1 1st Aug 18, 10:42 AM
    • 298Posts
    • 365Thanks
    Kit1
    0 WOW
    Spain
    • 1st Aug 18, 10:42 AM
    0 WOW
    Spain 1st Aug 18 at 10:42 AM
    Hi

We are considering holidaying in Spain next year for the first time.

We usually go to Greece (North Corfu, South Kefalonia, Thassos) but thought we would try somewhere new.

We enjoy sightseeing and often hire a car to see as much as possible as well as spending some time by the pool. We are not looking for clubs (well over the 18 - 30 scene ) just somewhere quiet with nice places to eat/drink.

Would welcome any suggestions or advice.TIA
    Stash Busting Challenge 2016 6/52
Page 2
    • madlyn
    • By madlyn 2nd Aug 18, 10:24 AM
    • 643 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    madlyn
    Another vote for Nerja, we are looking at Roquetas De Mar for our holiday next year, told it is very similar to Nerja.
    Have a look at Santa Eulalia in Ibiza
    • greyteam1959
    • By greyteam1959 2nd Aug 18, 11:06 AM
    • 2,502 Posts
    • 1,151 Thanks
    greyteam1959
    Has Nerja got any quieter ??
    The last time I stayed right in the town centre the noise form all the scooters tearing about was terrible.
    The locals think that it is great to remove the baffles from their scooter exhausts.
    Must be a street cred thing !!
    Went on most of the night as well.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 2nd Aug 18, 12:59 PM
    • 6,167 Posts
    • 8,877 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    The last time I stayed right in the town centre the noise form all the scooters tearing about was terrible.
    The locals think that it is great to remove the baffles from their scooter exhausts.
    Originally posted by greyteam1959
    Can't remember any of that when we were there for 3 week in May last year. We were a 10 minute walk from the centre though.
    • holidaysforme
    • By holidaysforme 3rd Aug 18, 12:55 PM
    • 1,629 Posts
    • 1,374 Thanks
    holidaysforme
    Originally posted by greyteam1959
    Never saw anything like this in Nerja.
    • slinga
    • By slinga 3rd Aug 18, 1:21 PM
    • 1,250 Posts
    • 286 Thanks
    slinga
    Don't think you can go wrong in Spain.
    We've enjoyed Barca a few times and Madrid.

Nerja was fine but not smitten with Denia although that was nearly 30 years ago.

Hire cars are not a problem driving wise but trains are very good and cheaper than UK.

Galicia was excellent if you like seafood and no Brits.

We keep trying to get to Bilbao, San Sebastian and the hinterland but haven't yet managed it.

Lisbon and Porto although not in Spain were great holiday destinations.
    It's your money. Except if it's the governments.
    • holidaysforme
    • By holidaysforme 3rd Aug 18, 3:06 PM
    • 1,629 Posts
    • 1,374 Thanks
    holidaysforme
    Don't think you can go wrong in Spain.
    We've enjoyed Barca a few times and Madrid.

Nerja was fine but not smitten with Denia although that was nearly 30 years ago.

Hire cars are not a problem driving wise but trains are very good and cheaper than UK.

Galicia was excellent if you like seafood and no Brits.

We keep trying to get to Bilbao, San Sebastian and the hinterland but haven't yet managed it.

Lisbon and Porto although not in Spain were great holiday destinations.
    Originally posted by slinga
    Went to Bilbao last year. Loved it. Going to .San Sebastian next. Agree about Lisbon and Porto'- especially Porto.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 3rd Aug 18, 3:09 PM
    • 6,167 Posts
    • 8,877 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    You can't go wrong in Romania, especially if you head to Transylvania....Sinaia, Sighisoara, Sibiu, Brasov for example. A beautiful green and clean country, and great vfm.

Macedonia [Lake Ohrid is a cracking destination] ain't bad either, and Bosnia & Herzegovina. Avoid Euro la-la Land if you want your to go further.....much further.
    Last edited by PompeyPete; 03-08-2018 at 3:12 PM.
    • Kit1
    • By Kit1 3rd Aug 18, 5:19 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 365 Thanks
    Kit1
    Thank you for all your replies and it has given us food for thought. We tend to go self catering in a small complex rather than a hotel as we like to get out and about as much as possible.
    Stash Busting Challenge 2016 6/52
    • AlexMac
    • By AlexMac 4th Aug 18, 7:21 AM
    • 2,216 Posts
    • 1,945 Thanks
    AlexMac
    We visit Nerja each year in early season, usually as part of a multi-site self-drive hol and it's a bit crowded and geriatric (not that I can talk; I won't see 70 again), in Feb-March at least, that is.

But our real love is northern Spain; Cantabria, Asturias or Pays Vasco; with rugged coasts , spectacular beaches and the mountains of the Picos de Europa for sleepy market towns and villages all within a couple of hours drive of the 24-hour Brittany Ferries crossing from the UK to Santander or Bilbao. We sometimes head further east into the Pyrenees, or you could head west to Galicia , but after 25-30 years visiting, we've slowed down a bit and don't do great distances.

A real attraction is cost; Brittany Ferries usually do a short, and little-publicised 20% early booking discount on their already good-value "Ferry & Holiday" packages, most winters, around Nov or Dec; so register on their website for emails.

Another attraction is weather; we don't like the searing summer heat of the south (hitting 100 degrees plus this week, according to the news) so the cooler, northern "Costa Verde" is attarctive to us.

The 24-hour crossing is fun too; upgrade to a larger cabin with window, and spalsh out 25 on the excellent French restaurant on board. And taking your own car makes for easy travel and no rental rip-offs (assuming uou like to drive, that is. We do, and the roads are a delight; petrol-heads and bikers flock there).
    • Doshwaster
    • By Doshwaster 5th Aug 18, 4:46 PM
    • 5,003 Posts
    • 4,128 Thanks
    Doshwaster
    I mentioned Alicante because that is where the nearest airport is located. I never felt Benidorm was that close in all the years we holidayed in Calpe, but loved being near Altea.
    Originally posted by ibizafan
    I love Alicante - it still manages to retain a Spanish feel, especially in the Old Town - as the vast majority of holidaymakers land at the airport but don't stop in the city itself. The train which runs all of the way runs up the coast to Denia is a great way of exploring the area without the need to hire a car. Personally, It's worth popping into Benidorm if you are passing just so that you can gawp at how ghastly it is.

Another underappreciated Spanish city is Valencia. Lots to see an do, fantastic food and drink without the costs and crowds of Barcelona.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 5th Aug 18, 8:35 PM
    • 6,167 Posts
    • 8,877 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    I love Alicante - it still manages to retain a Spanish feel, especially in the Old Town - as the vast majority of holidaymakers land at the airport but don't stop in the city itself. The train which runs all of the way runs up the coast to Denia is a great way of exploring the area without the need to hire a car. Personally, It's worth popping into Benidorm if you are passing just so that you can gawp at how ghastly it is.
    Originally posted by Doshwaster
    Dosh, It only goes as far as Calpe, you need to get a connecting bus to Denia. The Calpe to Denia part of the rail line is being rebuilt, and when were there last November it had a looooong way to go. Nice bus ride though.
    • Doshwaster
    • By Doshwaster 6th Aug 18, 7:22 AM
    • 5,003 Posts
    • 4,128 Thanks
    Doshwaster
    Dosh, It only goes as far as Calpe, you need to get a connecting bus to Denia. The Calpe to Denia part of the rail line is being rebuilt, and when were there last November it had a looooong way to go. Nice bus ride though.
    Originally posted by PompeyPete
    Ah - thanks, I didn't know that. It has been a few years since I was in the area and the train ran all of the way to Denia then.

I see according to their website the service has been "temporarily suspended" since July 2016

http://www.tramalicante.es/wordpress_en/?page_id=247
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 6th Aug 18, 9:41 AM
    • 6,167 Posts
    • 8,877 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    Ah - thanks, I didn't know that. It has been a few years since I was in the area and the train ran all of the way to Denia then.

I see according to their website the service has been "temporarily suspended" since July 2016

http://www.tramalicante.es/wordpress_en/?page_id=247
    Originally posted by Doshwaster
    The best bit of the train journey is between Albir, or Altea to Calpe, really scenic.

The bus conection between Calpe and Denia is alright, and quite scenic. But because of ongoing work on the train line and the muck and dust that gets kicked up, there's quite a bit of traffic congestion, obviously worse at peak times.

I thought the countryside from Benidorm south to Alicante was almost desert like. They're crying out for months of steady rain, but judging by news reports Spain ain't getting much of the wet stuff.

Anyone considering beautiful Nerja might check on the sewage situation in the sea before booking. I don't use Trip Advisor now, but the Nerja forum used to mention an enduring problem, and we noticed a lot of gunk on the surface during our 3 weeks there last year. We aren't sea swimmers so it didn't bother us.
    • chiny
    • By chiny 9th Aug 18, 11:16 PM
    • 132 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    chiny
    I'd have said if you pick almost anywhere (99.9%) on the Med coast strip, from North of Barcelona, all the way round South then West to Gibraltar, even Cadiz, you won't get the "quiet" requested. But, if you go inland, you'll freeze or be in hell (its a pun in Spanish) - the climate is fierce unless you pick your month carefully.

The Spanish take food/drink seriously and you can get excellent fare cheaply just about anywhere perhaps 100 metres or more from where the obvious tourists are sitting.

I enjoyed Mallorca for food, inland Inka and Puerta de Pollenca. Murcia region has a lot going for it (no snob value though) as its where they grow the veg. Madrid for variety... North Coast if you like sea food... Segovia if the idea of suckling pig doesn't turn your stomach.

Lucky you
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 10th Aug 18, 7:39 AM
    • 6,167 Posts
    • 8,877 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    I'd have said if you pick almost anywhere (99.9%) on the Med coast strip, from North of Barcelona, all the way round South then West to Gibraltar, even Cadiz, you won't get the "quiet" requested. But, if you go inland, you'll freeze or be in hell (its a pun in Spanish) - the climate is fierce unless you pick your month carefully.

The Spanish take food/drink seriously and you can get excellent fare cheaply just about anywhere perhaps 100 metres or more from where the obvious tourists are sitting.

I enjoyed Mallorca for food, inland Inka and Puerta de Pollenca. Murcia region has a lot going for it (no snob value though) as its where they grow the veg. Madrid for variety... North Coast if you like sea food... Segovia if the idea of suckling pig doesn't turn your stomach.

Lucky you
    Originally posted by chiny
    On a cruise at the end of October, kicking off in Palma.

First PoC is Cartagena. Never been there before, but it's beginning to 'float my boat' for a longer visit.
    • chiny
    • By chiny 10th Aug 18, 9:08 AM
    • 132 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    chiny
    Cartagena, great city. It has suffered in the past by always being on the losing side but its made a good recovery in the last 25 years or so. Unless you have mobility problems, you can stroll from the newly built cruise ship terminal, to the city centre. Shops galore obviously but decent food 50 metres from the shopping strip, look down the first 2 side streets.

And history... Cartagena has so much it doesn't know where it all is... they "lost" the Roman amphitheatre for 1800 years and somehow built a church over one corner. Its a real winner that amphitheatre, a must, and I challenge you not to want to shout "Friends, Romans and Countrymen" in your best Shakespeare style from the stage. Best if you learn that phrase in Latin of course

Mid-October, should be good weather say 25C and mostly sunny.

You'll enjoy Cartagena.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,843Posts Today

8,632Users online

Martin's Twitter