Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • twhitehousescat
    • By twhitehousescat 1st Aug 18, 10:41 AM
    • 2,394Posts
    • 2,925Thanks
    twhitehousescat
    ebay , fed up
    • 1st Aug 18, 10:41 AM
    ebay , fed up 1st Aug 18 at 10:41 AM
    I listed a motorbike on a 7 day auction , bidding was slow , 4 bids and about 250

although I started a 99p , I was expecting over 1k

next a new bid , then another bidder , both outbidding each other , bidder one was a bike breaker , and I would have thought not the sort of bike for him , bidder 2 was private , but also a biked breaker

bidding shot up and by day 5 , both had bid 1200

24.5 hrs to go , both bidders cancelled bids and left the bike with just over a day to run at 280

I felt I was being "settup" , and a 3rd person would just come in and snatch for say 300.

realising this I pulled the bike with the intention of going as a classified

I have now been charged

20 early cancel fee
    10 listing fee

a few emails to ebay , they are not bothered , and suggested that I should have reported bidders one and two , and they would have "slapped there hands"

I did not report them due to the short period before the 24 hr cutoff point to pull my bike from listing

feel like I have been "settup" , and ended up with excess fees
    Time pretending I was asleep whilst under his desk , has given me insight to this sordid world
Page 1
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 1st Aug 18, 5:23 PM
    • 28,173 Posts
    • 11,453 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 1st Aug 18, 5:23 PM
    • 1st Aug 18, 5:23 PM
    You could have chosen a classified ad and made your own rules up. Ebay dont seem to monitor or care about the classifieds it seems.

Or you could have started the auction at the minimum you were willing to accept.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • luverlyjuberly
    • By luverlyjuberly 1st Aug 18, 9:37 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    luverlyjuberly
    • 1st Aug 18, 9:37 PM
    • 1st Aug 18, 9:37 PM
    yes try and sell expensive items like that using classified ad before you use eBay at least that way you don't pay their high fees.
    If you have to/decide to use eBay maybe try and sell it using Buy It Now.

Was the eBay sale collection only? just curious.
    From September 2008 - Wepromiseto 133.19, Greasypalm 46.16, Quidco 10.40, Cashback Kings 74.54. Vouchers 31.00. myhpf 21.03
    Topcashback 137.54 Matchbetting 24.70 MORTGAGE FREE END OF JULY 2015 (YIPPEE!)
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 1st Aug 18, 9:43 PM
    • 12,999 Posts
    • 8,815 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 1st Aug 18, 9:43 PM
    • 1st Aug 18, 9:43 PM
    If you pull an auction before it ends [with bids] then you are still liable for the fees on the bids as if those bids had won.
    • NBLondon
    • By NBLondon 2nd Aug 18, 10:19 AM
    • 2,339 Posts
    • 11,777 Thanks
    NBLondon
    • 2nd Aug 18, 10:19 AM
    • 2nd Aug 18, 10:19 AM
    Was the eBay sale collection only? just curious.
    Originally posted by luverlyjuberly
    How would you post a motorbike?
    Womble #7 - Running Total 27.77 $4.28 6.62 S//0.10 (10 Ukrainian kopiyki) Bds$0.10 A$0.25 NZ$0.55 C$0.90 S$0.20 zl0.12 (Polish zloty) LB0.22 (Bulgarian lev) ISKr5.0 DKr1.0 CHF0.60 R0.10 (Rand not Rupees) KD0.05 (Kuwaiti dinar) MDL0.25 (Moldovan leu) YUM 1.0 (Yugoslav dinar)
    • flashg67
    • By flashg67 3rd Aug 18, 9:33 PM
    • 2,658 Posts
    • 1,739 Thanks
    flashg67
    • 3rd Aug 18, 9:33 PM
    • 3rd Aug 18, 9:33 PM
    How would you post a motorbike?
    Originally posted by NBLondon
    Very big envelope, lots and lots of stamps
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 4th Aug 18, 12:17 AM
    • 28,173 Posts
    • 11,453 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 4th Aug 18, 12:17 AM
    • 4th Aug 18, 12:17 AM
    Very big envelope, lots and lots of stamps
    Originally posted by flashg67
    Dont be silly, that's just asking for a received damaged claim.

You need to box it with plenty of packing peanuts. It just so happens that i have new stock of a box of this exact size and a special offer on bulk boxes of packing peanuts.

Don't delay buy today.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • perfect10
    • By perfect10 6th Aug 18, 7:43 PM
    • 345 Posts
    • 332 Thanks
    perfect10
    • 6th Aug 18, 7:43 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 7:43 PM
    You could put a reserve price on and then that is the minimum you would get. also worth putting on a message that you reserve the right to finish sale early if someone comes to see it and agrees the right price.

We sold a motorbike a few years ago and pulled the listing after someone came to see it and offered a load of money for it - more than we thought it would fetch at auction! so I can see why you will still be charged.
    Entering a few comps here and there still waiting for that elusive 'big' win!!
    • elsien
    • By elsien 6th Aug 18, 7:50 PM
    • 17,766 Posts
    • 45,074 Thanks
    elsien
    • 6th Aug 18, 7:50 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 7:50 PM
    Doesn't eBay get cross if you do that nowadays and penalise you for sell My off eBay to avoid the fees?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 6th Aug 18, 8:45 PM
    • 61,169 Posts
    • 43,726 Thanks
    soolin
    You could put a reserve price on and then that is the minimum you would get. also worth putting on a message that you reserve the right to finish sale early if someone comes to see it and agrees the right price.

We sold a motorbike a few years ago and pulled the listing after someone came to see it and offered a load of money for it - more than we thought it would fetch at auction! so I can see why you will still be charged.
    Originally posted by perfect10

I don't agree with your advice at all. A reserve costs a great deal of money and is payable whether item sells or not. If you have a minimum amount you want just start at that price.

As for selling off eBay, as Elsien says, that is likely to get a seller suspended.
    Doesn't eBay get cross if you do that nowadays and penalise you for sell My off eBay to avoid the fees?
    Originally posted by elsien
    Yes, very very risky for any seller who hopes to keep their account in good standing.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • perfect10
    • By perfect10 8th Aug 18, 8:33 AM
    • 345 Posts
    • 332 Thanks
    perfect10
    I don't agree with your advice at all. A reserve costs a great deal of money and is payable whether item sells or not. If you have a minimum amount you want just start at that price.

As for selling off eBay, as Elsien says, that is likely to get a seller suspended.
    Originally posted by soolin

First - if you start at a minimum amount you want then you don't always get people bidding off against each other - it really depends on what you are selling, we were selling a vintage motorbike - you have to know your market, for these items it works, we got far more interest than putting on for high value initially and ultimately when someone came along to view it he offered us alot of money as had seen the interest in the item as had several people bidding.
    Second - no it doesn't get you suspended as you pay a fixed listing fee for vehicles not a final value fee so you pay whether you sell or not.

My advice is watch how others sell those items first to gauge the market and then follow suit.
    Last edited by perfect10; 08-08-2018 at 7:05 PM.
    Entering a few comps here and there still waiting for that elusive 'big' win!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,191Posts Today

7,658Users online

Martin's Twitter