Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Redrose
    • By Redrose 1st Aug 18, 7:52 AM
    • 145Posts
    • 139Thanks
    Redrose
    Red's Road to be debt free
    • 1st Aug 18, 7:52 AM
    Red's Road to be debt free 1st Aug 18 at 7:52 AM
    Well I have finally done it, I have started a diary and my road to be being debt free. I had my LBM a few months back, and its taken me till now to actually do something about it.

I will sit down tonight and start a budget for Aug and to find out the true value of my debt, I know its in the region of about 10.000 on 4 CC.

2 I do not use they in the freezer - Frozen - so just paying off the balance
    2 - I have been using for everyday life ( these are the two I need to sort) have put one in the freezer also

today will be a NO SPEND DAY
    and will try and get some items listed on Ebay/Shpock - going to try and earn 100 per month to throw at one of the cards

Time for work - have a great day xx

Card 2 5,850.00 I am paying 120.00(overpaying on this one)
    Card 3 3,056.28 I am paying 75.00 (overpaying on this one)
    Card 4 225.74 PAID
    Last edited by Redrose; 03-09-2018 at 5:43 PM.
    Going start looking after the pennies, and the pounds will take care of them selves
Page 1
    • Redrose
    • By Redrose 2nd Aug 18, 7:29 AM
    • 145 Posts
    • 139 Thanks
    Redrose
    • 2nd Aug 18, 7:29 AM
    • 2nd Aug 18, 7:29 AM
    Good Morning to everyone

Well its been 24hours since started this diary, and my mind as been buzzing with ways I can save money - going to have a look at my SOA today - Still need to look at my CCs - finding this hard to do, I know I have to, has this is my biggest worries.

cut down on spends
    meal plan
    be mindful of what I am spending on
    asking myself do I need this or do I just want it

Well yesterday I while hovering my red front room rug, I have been thinking of changing it, only because I WANT a purple one, there is nothing wrong with the red one, on reflection so the RED on is staying normally I would of just went out and brought a new one. So pleased with myself - baby steps..

I have taken my debit card out of the purse today, and have left me a few pounds in my purse so I can take work, not that I have any plans on spending, as taking my own lunch in, and not using the staff coffee shop for lunch.

Was hoping to have a NO Spend day yesterday, but was a collection at work, and its normal for everyone to put in 2.00, which I don't mind as its not very often.

Well its Thursday today and that means my Slimming World Group hoping I loose a few pounds (in weight), just to keep me in my target range (so I don't have to pay the fee ) ...Going out for tea with friends in a local pub tonight, and will be taking the car for two reasons, first I will not drinking and second have to be up for work early 5.30am ...I will also tell the girls that I can not afford to go on a mini holiday with them in Nov its going to cost me about 300.00 for a four night break.... way too expensive when I don't have the money...not sure how this is going to go down, but hey ho sometimes we have to put us before them, I hoping they will understand....

So have a great day, the sun is trying to shine and I think its going to be a good day.....

Ps. really finding it quite liberating writing things down..... wish I had done it years ago...

Love and peace to everyone xx
    Going start looking after the pennies, and the pounds will take care of them selves
    • Redrose
    • By Redrose 2nd Aug 18, 8:10 AM
    • 145 Posts
    • 139 Thanks
    Redrose
    • 2nd Aug 18, 8:10 AM
    • 2nd Aug 18, 8:10 AM
    Just been to have a look for SOA and I can not find a link - can some kind person put it on here for me to complete

thanks
    • pidge04
    • By pidge04 2nd Aug 18, 9:22 AM
    • 480 Posts
    • 1,298 Thanks
    pidge04
    • 2nd Aug 18, 9:22 AM
    • 2nd Aug 18, 9:22 AM
    I think it can be found here: www.stoozing.com

Good luck! Wishing you well!
    CC1 2400/422 CC2 3000/2269 CC3 600/233 LOAN 13,000/5235
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 2nd Aug 18, 9:25 AM
    • 7,202 Posts
    • 15,659 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    • 2nd Aug 18, 9:25 AM
    • 2nd Aug 18, 9:25 AM
    You sound like you want to get this sorted. Good decision on not changing the rug or going on the holiday. Start up savings pots for holidays and home stuff then you know you are spending in budget.
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Starmummy
    • By Starmummy 2nd Aug 18, 10:15 AM
    • 263 Posts
    • 1,165 Thanks
    Starmummy
    • 2nd Aug 18, 10:15 AM
    • 2nd Aug 18, 10:15 AM
    Happy new diary. Best of luck on your journey.

Take care

SM
    debt consolidated 16/8/18 12,267.85/12,618.12 (Total debt at LBM c..19k)
    EF savings 650.02 House Deposit (LISA) 136.25/12,000 1.14%
    • dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 5th Aug 18, 10:06 PM
    • 638 Posts
    • 2,105 Thanks
    dustydigger
    • 5th Aug 18, 10:06 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 10:06 PM
    Good luck on your journey to being debt free. Its great that you wisely distinguished between ''wants'' and ''needs'' in the matter of the carpet,and the holiday.As you said,baby steps......

SPC 2018 # 012 -
    2 Savers 2018 #19 178 Tesc* Xmas Savers 61.56
    Icel@nd bonus card 14 House & Home Fund 2018 - 322 (plus 174 from 2017 = 496)
    weight loss : 0/7lb AF Mar-Sep 208 days+ Oct 13/24 Books read Oct 4/8 Prolific 12.25

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 5th Aug 18, 10:35 PM
    • 57,418 Posts
    • 235,040 Thanks
    beanielou
    • 5th Aug 18, 10:35 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 10:35 PM
    Happy shiny new diary
    Baby steps are good
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • Redrose
    • By Redrose 6th Aug 18, 7:30 AM
    • 145 Posts
    • 139 Thanks
    Redrose
    • 6th Aug 18, 7:30 AM
    • 6th Aug 18, 7:30 AM
    Good Morning everyone,

Thank you all for the encouragement in my journey

Update on telling my friends about not going on holiday with them, it went better than I expected, just told them that I could not afford to go, as its would of cost over 300.00 for just 4 nights, a month before xmas, (usually I would of "just" found the money and went) anyway one of the other girls said, she was so pleased that I had brought the conversation up as she really couldn't afford to go either, but didn't what to upset the other friend.... and the rest of the evening was full of fun and laughs...!!!

Update on my Slimming World journey - I lost 2.5lbs on Thursday night so well pleased

Know I have been a little quite of the weekend, had an early work start on Friday, and I think the heat just got to me, as when I came home I laid on the settee and fell asleep, ( which is unlike me ) and work up about 6 pm, feeling grotty.

Saturday I needed to wash the kitchen floor as some grease had been spilt, so decided to get the steam cleaner out, not only did I do the floor all of my kitchen cupboards got a good clean as well (well pleased with myself as I have a lovely clean kitchen and didn't spend a penny),

Sunday got invited out with friends and had a lovely day in Skipton, did spend a few pounds on lunch, for my and hubby, but did take that out of the "got to live" budget, had a lovely day just walking near the canal and dreaming of life on the river/canals. I did try on a lovely dress, from a fair trade shop, it was lovely and in a way I was pleased it was too big, otherwise I probably had brought it. (still trying its a hard habit to break) .

Still got my debt busting head on - a few things I intend to do this week

Meal Plan - need to use up what's in the freezer/cubpoards
    SOA - is a must
    Be mindful of what I WANT or NEED
    start a spreadsheet (might need some advice on this one ) on how to do it

I have also decided to have a 50.00 food budget for us ( 2 adults ) per week

Please have a great day everyone

Sending peace and love
    Last edited by Redrose; 06-08-2018 at 7:41 AM.
    • GlendaSugarbean
    • By GlendaSugarbean 6th Aug 18, 8:47 AM
    • 210 Posts
    • 1,402 Thanks
    GlendaSugarbean
    Happy new diary
    • pidge04
    • By pidge04 6th Aug 18, 8:52 AM
    • 480 Posts
    • 1,298 Thanks
    pidge04
    I am pleased it turned out OK with your friends about the holiday.
    CC1 2400/422 CC2 3000/2269 CC3 600/233 LOAN 13,000/5235
    • Redrose
    • By Redrose 11th Aug 18, 3:07 PM
    • 145 Posts
    • 139 Thanks
    Redrose
    Good Afternoon everyone...

Its been a few days since my last entry but I am still here ( you not getting rid of me that easy).

Good news on the Slimming World front, I am sat happily in my target range, even with a pound on, and I was nominated for "Women of the Year" award, and I was totally shocked that I won, I was nearly crying in group, got a little pressie from the consultant along with a certificate and a sash... was one happy lady...

Had to take one of my Cats to the vets again on Wednesday, he as been grumpy for the past month, finally got a answer he as an abbess on one of his teeth. Set me back 68.00 however hubby paid this so not coming out of the emergency fund..

Other than work, its been a real quite week, been really mindful on what I have been spending, leaving my cards (credit and debit ) at home, and only using cash, never realised how much it makes think about buying, "do I need it or just want it" when you are handing over hard cash (my cash) .. Would think nothing of handing over my debit card for everything and not worrying about it

Well today I have looked at my Credit Cards statements and it wasn't as bad as I thought but still not good.

**** see note below
    Card 1 3,946.63 (0.00) Min Payment 86.00

Card 2 5,850.00 I am paying 120.00(overpaying on this one)
    Card 3 3,056.28 I am paying 75.00 (overpaying on this one)
    Card 4 225.74 Hoping to Pay this off on this month

Total 9,132.02

*****Today I have also did a Balance Transfer 0% - Card 1 on to Card 2 to stop the interest

So my plan for is to tackle Card 4 by the end of this month, we are getting back pay from our little pay raise so I am hoping this will at least pay half and will move a little money about to pay the other....

OMG I have finally done what I have been putting off for a long time now.... feel a little miffed I have let it get this bad, but there is only one way now and that is up..... taking baby steps

sending love and peace xx
    • phizzimum
    • By phizzimum 11th Aug 18, 3:37 PM
    • 1,699 Posts
    • 9,273 Thanks
    phizzimum
    Well done redrose

Isnt it interesting that your friend was worried about the holiday but didnt want to say either ?

Im glad your total is a bit lower than youd anticipated. Just think, if youd bought the new dress, carpet and holiday it prob would be nearer 10k after all so youre already making a difference.

Looks like card 4 is a good mini goal to give yourself
    weaving through the chaos...
    • Redrose
    • By Redrose 15th Aug 18, 12:19 PM
    • 145 Posts
    • 139 Thanks
    Redrose
    Good Afternoon

phizzimum - I can not answer for my friend - maybe she didn't want to upset the friend that suggested the holiday - Like I mentioned before my LBM I would of "just found the money" and went, had a great time and when I got home robbed peter to pay paul, may be that's what she does, I really don't know - Money is a very hard subject to talk about, even with good friends.....

I have been off work this week, and have starting to declutter the home - starting with one of the bedroom, OMG I didn't realise how much stuff I have, clothes, books, CD, and a lot of junk...

Got 3 bags on the go,

Bag number 1 - Ebay
    Bag number 2 - Charity Shop
    Bag number 3 - Bin

Felt that I have achieved something this morning, and I am starting to see my room again.....LOL

Its our 33rd Wedding Anniversary on Friday, and we were going to have a BBQ, but hubby now has to work, plus the weather doesn't look too good, I am a bit disappointed having to cancel it, it was only going to be Family and a few close friends - but on reflection I am not having to spend any money..... I am hoping hubby will be taking me out for a romantic meal instead....

Another LBM moment happened the weekend, I was talking to another friend and we were talking about Christmas, and what a waste of money on presents that usually just find a space in the house or that goes for regifting....So we have decide to limit our spends to 10.00 (normally I have seen us spend 50.00 to 60.00 on each other)..

So on the note of Christmas, I am going to suggest to the girls that I go on holiday with, that we do something like a bran tub, so we all buy just one pressie and we just get one pressie in return and also to only spend a limited amount ... instead of buy for each other and getting 3 ... so again saving even if its just a little bit....

We are going on holiday in Sept (this was booked last year ) before I had my LBM, so this is probably our last big holiday until our finances are in a better place...I have just been into my set of draws that I keep my extras toiletries in...and found I only need to buy a few little bits - normally I would make a list and next time I am shopping just buy them....

Thank you for taking time in reading my little rambles - but I do feel writing it down spurs me on....

Love, Peace and a little bit of mindfulness...
    • Debtbegone2021
    • By Debtbegone2021 15th Aug 18, 12:40 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    Debtbegone2021
    Just wanted to say hello and good luck on your journey, I have too have started a diary and am tackling my credit cards. Writing it all down definitely helps.
    • Redrose
    • By Redrose 3rd Sep 18, 6:20 PM
    • 145 Posts
    • 139 Thanks
    Redrose
    Good Evening to you all

Just came home from a night away, as yesterday we where at a blues gig, and what a great gig it was, 6 bands for 20.00 - present from my son (Christmas), He gives us cash to be used for our gigs..... it really came in useful, spend the day with good friends and made some new ones and the line up as just brilliant, good day all round.... till next year.

Its been a very eye opening month for me where I am spending monies, I have been keeping a record off all moneys in and out of the accounts, bloody hell I buy some rubbish.....did not realise how much I am spending for example

Food bill came in at 240.00 - I was thinking its was only 200.00 per month - know its only 40 over but it just shows you need to write down everything that you spend, to know where your money this actually going.

Ebay - sold a few items, didn't come to much, about 8.00 but at least they are now in new homes, and not in mine - my thoughts about ebay is that if I sell them if only 1.00 then its a 1.00 in my purse... so don't expect to make millions _ would be nice

Today I paid off CC no 4 and I feel good about this

Today whilst on our way home, we called into Stokesley what a lovely village, and mooched in the charity shops, did buy a few books for our hols, and also called into a local greengrocers, it made such a difference in price and quality rather than the supermarkets. I really need to find a local one in our area...….

Well i have work tomorrow and its an early start at 7am so need to be prepared with lunch and what to make for tea - think about having Cheesy Chicken Risotto (slimming world)

and talking about Slimming World - its not going too well over the last couple of weeks, as hubby found a tub of chocolate and I ended up eating most of them..... really could of kicked myself, so much so I did not get weighed first time ever I didn't go to class cos I had put weight on...…..

So my plans for the week

• Plan my meals for next week using what I have got in - Should not need anything from the shops
    • Writing down all food/drink intake to help me track my eats
    • Write down all my spends - no matter how little
    • Have at least 2/3 no spend days - nothing planned so should be achievable
    • Look at overpaying on CC no 3 - the next one on my hit list
    Thanks for stopping a taking time to read my little rants

Sending love and peace, and being a little mindful in all you do

Red xx
    Last edited by Redrose; 03-09-2018 at 6:25 PM. Reason: Missed ebay off
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

402Posts Today

5,350Users online

Martin's Twitter