Credit Card on Paypal - Cash Advance Fee?

Guerillatoker
Guerillatoker Posts: 625 Forumite
edited 31 July 2018 at 11:38PM in Credit cards
Made a small private purchase and as I want it posting seller has asked if I can pay through paypal.

Does anyone know if Credit Cards tend to charge a cash advance fee when sending money on paypal?

EDIT: I've paid this via my bank account now, but still curious to the above as google and previous threads didn't turn much up.

Comments

• Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I'm about 90% certain that I've paid through PayPal with credit cards. I may have used a debit card, but I'm pretty sure it was one of the credit cards.
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • T-G-C
    T-G-C Posts: 591 Forumite
    First Post
    PayPal use an MCC code for each transaction, depending on what the nature of it is. CC providers use the MCC to detect whether or not a particular transaction falls under gambling or cash.

For Goods and Services payments sent through PayPal, the MCC will depend on the recipient's business category. If the recipient's PayPal is personal and not business, the MCC will be Services - Not Elsewhere Classified which is considered a purchase. To answer your question on a general scale, no; a credit card provider will not treat a PayPal Goods and Services transfer as a cash advance.

If you use PayPal to top-up a gambling account, the MCC will be reflected as such and will therefore incur the charges outlined in your CC credit agreement.

Family and Friends are different however, although there is mixed advice on whether or not these transfers are considered cash advancing. I do know for sure that PayPal surcharge for F&F payments using a credit card, even if the card provider slap on another 3% + interest on top.
    Advice provided from this account does not consist of any professional knowledge. For professional debt advice, please contact either National Debtline or StepChange. Advice may consist of personal experience, opinion and/or informational sources.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure