Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • David_Brent
    • By David_Brent 31st Jul 18, 9:58 PM
    • 679Posts
    • 122Thanks
    David_Brent
    Can I 0% balance transfer to my wife's credit card?
    • 31st Jul 18, 9:58 PM
    Can I 0% balance transfer to my wife's credit card? 31st Jul 18 at 9:58 PM
    Hi I was wondering if I can balance transfer from my M&S credit card 0% on balance transfers for 25 months to my wife's credit cards (is in another name)?
    !"$%^&*()
Page 1
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 31st Jul 18, 10:05 PM
    • 3,809 Posts
    • 2,340 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 31st Jul 18, 10:05 PM
    • 31st Jul 18, 10:05 PM
    If your card is 0% then surely you want to do it the other way around?

The 0% applies to transfers transferring INTO the card.
    • David_Brent
    • By David_Brent 31st Jul 18, 10:14 PM
    • 679 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    David_Brent
    • 31st Jul 18, 10:14 PM
    • 31st Jul 18, 10:14 PM
    Doh! Yes that what I meant!! Exactly! To shift some small debt credit cards in to my 0% card.
    !"$%^&*()
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 31st Jul 18, 10:49 PM
    • 3,809 Posts
    • 2,340 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 31st Jul 18, 10:49 PM
    • 31st Jul 18, 10:49 PM
    It depends.

Some only allow same name transfers.

And you can!!!8217;t transfer between the same lender. I.e. M&S are HSBC so you can!!!8217;t transfer anything from another HSBC or First Direct card.
    • Willing2Learn
    • By Willing2Learn 1st Aug 18, 5:31 AM
    • 2,593 Posts
    • 2,133 Thanks
    Willing2Learn
    • 1st Aug 18, 5:31 AM
    • 1st Aug 18, 5:31 AM
    And you can't transfer between the same lender. I.e. M&S are HSBC so you can't transfer anything from another HSBC or First Direct card.
    Originally posted by Gary_Dexter
    I've had this conversation before with HSBC, First Direct and M&S. They classify themselves as different banks for claiming switching rewards so I imagine you would be able to do a transfer.
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

• Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 1st Aug 18, 7:39 AM
    • 3,809 Posts
    • 2,340 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 1st Aug 18, 7:39 AM
    • 1st Aug 18, 7:39 AM
    No you can!!!8217;t as the lender is still the same
    • foxy-stoat
    • By foxy-stoat 1st Aug 18, 9:20 AM
    • 3,875 Posts
    • 2,184 Thanks
    foxy-stoat
    • 1st Aug 18, 9:20 AM
    • 1st Aug 18, 9:20 AM
    Probably best do a money transfer instead of BT - you can shuffle it as much as you want once its in your name.
    • chelseablue
    • By chelseablue 1st Aug 18, 9:23 AM
    • 2,698 Posts
    • 3,146 Thanks
    chelseablue
    • 1st Aug 18, 9:23 AM
    • 1st Aug 18, 9:23 AM
    I did a balance transfer once from my husbands Capital One card to a Sainsbury's card that was in my name
    • Willing2Learn
    • By Willing2Learn 1st Aug 18, 12:34 PM
    • 2,593 Posts
    • 2,133 Thanks
    Willing2Learn
    • 1st Aug 18, 12:34 PM
    • 1st Aug 18, 12:34 PM
    No you can't as the lender is still the same
    Originally posted by Gary_Dexter
    I know they are all the same bank (HSBC). I've got accounts with all of them and a transfer counts as coming from a different bank as did the switching rewards.

Are you sure? Maybe the rules are different for credit cards I'm guessing...
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

• Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 1st Aug 18, 1:13 PM
    • 3,809 Posts
    • 2,340 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    https://www.google.com/search?q=balance+transfer+same+company+site:forums .moneysavingexpert.com&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwil57--6cvcAhWLNcAKHUXjDxoQrQIoAzAKegQIDBAL
    • AstroTurtle
    • By AstroTurtle 1st Aug 18, 1:27 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 736 Thanks
    AstroTurtle
    M&S Bank Terms & Conditions - Credit Card
    (c) To make a balance transfer by asking us to send a payment from your account to reduce or repay an amount you owe to another lender. We do not normally allow you to transfer a balance from another lender in the HSBC Group (we will tell you if this is the case when you ask us to make the payment). You must tell us at least 3 working days before you want us to make a balance transfer.

^ That word "Normally" tells me there is discretion and is definitely worth a go, if they didn't want it they couldn't use flexible language like that.

See the below post on a thread about HSBC - M&S back in 2006 on this forum where a poster had success in phoning to ask the question and was told it wasn't a problem.

Well,the first time i called I had to give my case number and the person wasnt 100% sure so she asked a supervisor who said it was fine.The 2nd and 3rd time i called i just explained the same situation and they said they were 100% positive that it was allowed,this time they did not ask my name or anything,they just gave me the info.My application hasnt yet gone through as they have a backlog of 7days but I think that they do accept balance transfers from M&S---HSBC! P.S I have now rang 5 times just to make sure-on all occasions stating that they are both owned by hsbc and they have all said yes to the balance transfer being allowed(subject to credit check of course!)
    maniac886 17th Jan 06, 1:10 PM
    • Willing2Learn
    • By Willing2Learn 1st Aug 18, 1:30 PM
    • 2,593 Posts
    • 2,133 Thanks
    Willing2Learn
    M&S Bank Terms & Conditions - Credit Card
    (c) To make a balance transfer by asking us to send a payment from your account to reduce or repay an amount you owe to another lender. We do not normally allow you to transfer a balance from another lender in the HSBC Group (we will tell you if this is the case when you ask us to make the payment). You must tell us at least 3 working days before you want us to make a balance transfer.

^ That word "Normally" tells me there is discretion and is definitely worth a go, if they didn't want it they couldn't use flexible language like that.
    Originally posted by AstroTurtle
    Thanks AstroTurtle!!! I guess the true answer is...they don't....they do....they might do....
    Last edited by Willing2Learn; 01-08-2018 at 2:01 PM.

I love my job

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

121Posts Today

1,468Users online

Martin's Twitter