Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gillybean129
    • By gillybean129 31st Jul 18, 9:44 PM
    • 168Posts
    • 69Thanks
    gillybean129
    Can I loan my daughter my credit card for an emergency
    • 31st Jul 18, 9:44 PM
    Can I loan my daughter my credit card for an emergency 31st Jul 18 at 9:44 PM
    Sounds weird, it's not.
    She's going to Barcelona soon and as a back up I'd like her to take it in case she needs anything. I know she will pay me back that's not the issue. She has my full permission.
    My concern is if this card is stolen, would I be covered for any misuse?
Page 1
    • CakeCrusader
    • By CakeCrusader 31st Jul 18, 9:49 PM
    • 765 Posts
    • 446 Thanks
    CakeCrusader
    • 31st Jul 18, 9:49 PM
    • 31st Jul 18, 9:49 PM
    It will be in your terms and conditions, but they generally don't allow this unless she's a secondary card holder.
    • Ms Chocaholic
    • By Ms Chocaholic 31st Jul 18, 9:51 PM
    • 10,086 Posts
    • 62,181 Thanks
    Ms Chocaholic
    • 31st Jul 18, 9:51 PM
    • 31st Jul 18, 9:51 PM
    Have you time to get her a card on your account. That would be the preferable option.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till The End

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
    • gillybean129
    • By gillybean129 31st Jul 18, 9:54 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    gillybean129
    • 31st Jul 18, 9:54 PM
    • 31st Jul 18, 9:54 PM
    Hmmm not really possible due to the timescale now.

It was just a thought, I didn't want her having a lot of money where pickpocketing and theft is rife
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 31st Jul 18, 10:07 PM
    • 3,808 Posts
    • 2,338 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 31st Jul 18, 10:07 PM
    • 31st Jul 18, 10:07 PM
    You would have to add her as an additional cardholder and she would need a card in her own name.

You!!!8217;re more likely to have the card blocked if she uses one in name that isn!!!8217;t hers
    • Guerillatoker
    • By Guerillatoker 31st Jul 18, 10:23 PM
    • 406 Posts
    • 427 Thanks
    Guerillatoker
    • 31st Jul 18, 10:23 PM
    • 31st Jul 18, 10:23 PM
    Is she just going on holiday?
    • boo_star
    • By boo_star 31st Jul 18, 10:33 PM
    • 1,854 Posts
    • 1,206 Thanks
    boo_star
    • 31st Jul 18, 10:33 PM
    • 31st Jul 18, 10:33 PM
    If you do it you're going to wave away your ability to claim fraud if the card is cloned or stolen. Given how costly that could be it's not something I'd do myself.
    • Ms Chocaholic
    • By Ms Chocaholic 31st Jul 18, 10:34 PM
    • 10,086 Posts
    • 62,181 Thanks
    Ms Chocaholic
    • 31st Jul 18, 10:34 PM
    • 31st Jul 18, 10:34 PM
    Hmmm not really possible due to the timescale now.

It was just a thought, I didn't want her having a lot of money where pickpocketing and theft is rife
    Originally posted by gillybean129

Tell her to get a crossbody bag.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till The End

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
    • Guerillatoker
    • By Guerillatoker 31st Jul 18, 10:38 PM
    • 406 Posts
    • 427 Thanks
    Guerillatoker
    • 31st Jul 18, 10:38 PM
    • 31st Jul 18, 10:38 PM
    I believe there are prepaid cards you can use as an alternative to cash that might be worth looking into.
    • Willing2Learn
    • By Willing2Learn 1st Aug 18, 5:19 AM
    • 2,593 Posts
    • 2,133 Thanks
    Willing2Learn
    I believe there are prepaid cards you can use as an alternative to cash that might be worth looking into.
    Originally posted by Guerillatoker
    Good idea Guerillatoker.

@gillybean129 - Load up the pre-paid card with the necessary budget and your good to go!!

Have a look at the MSE Prepaid Cards Guide Discussion Area
    Last edited by Willing2Learn; 01-08-2018 at 5:22 AM.
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

• virgo17
    • By virgo17 1st Aug 18, 8:29 AM
    • 733 Posts
    • 265 Thanks
    virgo17
    Yes, a pre-paid currency card could be your best option.

It only takes a few days to get a Starling or Monzo card, both of which we use and recommend. Or even a Revolut card.

Under no circumstances let her take your personal credit card. Even though you have total trust in her you are opening yourself up to all kinds of consequences if it should be lost, misplaced or stolen. Or even if queried at a hotel or restaurant.

Tell her to enjoy Barcelona. We just did a couple of months ago. The advice about a cross body bag is excellent.
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 1st Aug 18, 8:38 AM
    • 2,297 Posts
    • 3,599 Thanks
    shortcrust
    My sister once couldn't find card just before a holiday so I gave her mine without any dire consequences. Of course you shouldn't do it, but I'm not sure it's a really big deal.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 1st Aug 18, 8:52 AM
    • 22,186 Posts
    • 18,180 Thanks
    agrinnall
    My sister once couldn't find card just before a holiday so I gave her mine without any dire consequences. Of course you shouldn't do it, but I'm not sure it's a really big deal.
    Originally posted by shortcrust

Except the OP's question was this:

My concern is if this card is stolen, would I be covered for any misuse?
    Originally posted by gillybean129

And the answer to that is that she should be concerned as she almost certainly won't be covered. If all goes without a hitch then you're right that there's unlikely to be any problem with the card, but if it does go wrong she could be heavily out of pocket. And as someone who had been pickpocketed on 3 occasions in Barcelona I know how easily it can happen.
    • Nebulous2
    • By Nebulous2 1st Aug 18, 9:03 AM
    • 2,243 Posts
    • 1,444 Thanks
    Nebulous2
    It seems very common in American films - but I don't know how much it happens in real life or in the UK.

I've used my wife's contactless debit card to pay for drinks in a pub, to save her going to the bar, but that's the closest I've come to your suggestion.

I wouldn't do it. Your daughter needs a variety of payment methods, needs to store them separately and needs to remain vigilant. I've spent several days wandering around Barcelona with no problems at all - but then I'm quite successful at looking like I don't have two beans to rub together.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 1st Aug 18, 9:56 AM
    • 4,350 Posts
    • 2,510 Thanks
    eDicky
    Good idea Guerillatoker.

@gillybean129 - Load up the pre-paid card with the necessary budget and your good to go!!

Have a look at the MSE Prepaid Cards Guide Discussion Area
    Originally posted by Willing2Learn
    Beware of such cards, its cheaper and easier in general to use your regular bank debit card overseas.

An exception is Loot.io - or ideally the Starling Bank debit card arrives in a couple of days or so if she's over 18, if under 18 the Nationwide FlexOne account debit card has no overseas fees but may take a bit longer to arrive.
    • redpete
    • By redpete 1st Aug 18, 10:37 PM
    • 4,334 Posts
    • 3,842 Thanks
    redpete
    Originally posted by shortcrust
    It isn't a big deal if nothing goes wrong. It could be a big deal if the card is stolen or misused in some way where you would claim that spending on the card is unauthorised. You will have let given card and PIN to a third party and almost certainly be refused any refunds.

Your risk.
    loose does not rhyme with choose but lose does and is the word you meant to write.
    • gillybean129
    • By gillybean129 4th Aug 18, 9:27 AM
    • 168 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    gillybean129
    Thank you all for your replies
    She will be taking cash, a crossbody bag, a hidden belt type clip wallet, storing cash in more than one area, only taking out what she needs and her debit card as back up
    Plus she has insurance though obviously a 50 excess.
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 4th Aug 18, 9:36 AM
    • 7,069 Posts
    • 3,910 Thanks
    chattychappy
    If you do it you're going to wave away your ability to claim fraud if the card is cloned or stolen. Given how costly that could be it's not something I'd do myself.
    Originally posted by boo_star
    You are not liable for unauthorised transactions. By giving a card to somebody else, you become liable for those transactions because they have authorised them on your behalf. But if the card is stolen, those subsequent transactions are still unauthorised.

Just because you have broken the rules doesn't mean you've waived all your rights. But I agree it might be a struggle!

Incidentally, if you give a card to somebody for a specific purpose or transaction and they go beyond that, the FOS has held that the transaction is still authorised.
    Last edited by chattychappy; 04-08-2018 at 9:40 AM.
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 10th Aug 18, 7:46 PM
    • 839 Posts
    • 310 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    Why not get her to take a Starling card - you can transfer funds to it online quickly, as long as there is internet access and she has the app on her smartphone.
    • Yawn
    • By Yawn 11th Aug 18, 1:01 AM
    • 103 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    Yawn
    The new Transferwise debit card is amazing and might be a good option here. You could top up the account in seconds if she needs extra cash?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,614Posts Today

8,271Users online

Martin's Twitter