Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sugarplum88
    • By sugarplum88 31st Jul 18, 7:41 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    sugarplum88
    0 WOW
    Passport countersign
    • 31st Jul 18, 7:41 PM
    0 WOW
    Passport countersign 31st Jul 18 at 7:41 PM
    Hi all, i need mine and my partners passport photos signed. Could someone that works for the nhs do it? Thanks
Page 1
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 31st Jul 18, 8:03 PM
    • 7,756 Posts
    • 6,313 Thanks
    daveyjp
    • 31st Jul 18, 8:03 PM
    • 31st Jul 18, 8:03 PM
    What do the guidance notes say?
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 31st Jul 18, 9:07 PM
    • 33,120 Posts
    • 20,859 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 31st Jul 18, 9:07 PM
    • 31st Jul 18, 9:07 PM
    Hi all, i need mine and my partners passport photos signed. Could someone that works for the nhs do it? Thanks
    Originally posted by sugarplum88

There's a list that tells you who could sign it.
    Last edited by DCFC79; 31-07-2018 at 9:21 PM.
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 31st Jul 18, 10:19 PM
    • 3,266 Posts
    • 2,317 Thanks
    EssexExile
    • 31st Jul 18, 10:19 PM
    • 31st Jul 18, 10:19 PM
    There's a list that tells you who could sign it.
    Originally posted by DCFC79
    There is list of examples of people who can sign. It depends what the people you know who work for the NHS do.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • missnat81
    • By missnat81 1st Aug 18, 12:47 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 534 Thanks
    missnat81
    • 1st Aug 18, 12:47 PM
    • 1st Aug 18, 12:47 PM
    I recently countersigned passport photos for someone I work with I!!!8217;m not a doctor... I!!!8217;m a supervisor in a shop, he got his passport with no problems... read the booklet that comes with it I!!!8217;m sure it said neighbors etc could do it as long as they have known the person over 3 years
    • maman
    • By maman 1st Aug 18, 2:17 PM
    • 18,847 Posts
    • 112,539 Thanks
    maman
    • 1st Aug 18, 2:17 PM
    • 1st Aug 18, 2:17 PM
    I recently countersigned passport photos for someone I work with I!!!8217;m not a doctor... I!!!8217;m a supervisor in a shop, he got his passport with no problems... read the booklet that comes with it I!!!8217;m sure it said neighbors etc could do it as long as they have known the person over 3 years
    Originally posted by missnat81

Contrary to common perception doctors aren't on the list of signatories unless they happen to have reason to know the person really well.

There is a list of suggested occupations on the gov website but people 'of good standing in the community' are also included. Personally I would interpret that as having some sort of community role such as running a local group or a well known lollipop person or even a long standing shopkeeper or something like that.

If you don't fit any of those categories I'm surprised that the passport was issued so readily. I can see that system being open to abuse.
    • Kynthia
    • By Kynthia 2nd Aug 18, 1:31 PM
    • 5,383 Posts
    • 7,529 Thanks
    Kynthia
    • 2nd Aug 18, 1:31 PM
    • 2nd Aug 18, 1:31 PM
    Someone who's a member of a professional body can sign. So people who have qualified and maintained membership of their professional body can sign. Possibly accountants, accounting technicians, physiotherapists, counsellors, driving instructors, librarians, heating engineers, teachers, nurses, etc. People who work in the public sector are sometimes considered eligible to sign such as police staff and civil servants, so ask your friends as you might be surprised at who says they can sign.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
    • bylromarha
    • By bylromarha 5th Aug 18, 9:31 PM
    • 9,957 Posts
    • 13,247 Thanks
    bylromarha
    • 5th Aug 18, 9:31 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 9:31 PM
    I frequently sign for friends, as I'm a teacher.
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 5th Aug 18, 9:56 PM
    • 7,973 Posts
    • 14,439 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    • 5th Aug 18, 9:56 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 9:56 PM
    Twelve years ago, I countersigned my ex's nephew and nieces passports, even though my job at the time, wasn't listed on the list of people that can countersign. But worked for a bank. They received them within the week and used them to travel twice when I was still with my ex,

I don't think the Passport Office have got time and money to double check countersigners are legit. Providing they don't have the same current surname, maiden name or mothers maiden name (which looks a bit dodgy as probably family).
    Last edited by ScarletMarble; 05-08-2018 at 9:59 PM.
    • maman
    • By maman 6th Aug 18, 5:13 PM
    • 18,847 Posts
    • 112,539 Thanks
    maman
    Twelve years ago, I countersigned my ex's nephew and nieces passports, even though my job at the time, wasn't listed on the list of people that can countersign. But worked for a bank. They received them within the week and used them to travel twice when I was still with my ex,

I don't think the Passport Office have got time and money to double check countersigners are legit. Providing they don't have the same current surname, maiden name or mothers maiden name (which looks a bit dodgy as probably family).
    Originally posted by ScarletMarble

You're probably right and in any event the website list of those eligible to countersign is very vague and not exhaustive.
    • Kynthia
    • By Kynthia 7th Aug 18, 7:50 AM
    • 5,383 Posts
    • 7,529 Thanks
    Kynthia

Originally posted by ScarletMarble
    I know of a few countersigners who have been rung up and checked by the passport office. It's worth making sure you really kniw the details of who you have signed for as it doesn't look good if you can't answer their questions.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
    • Blaise in Surrey
    • By Blaise in Surrey 7th Aug 18, 7:53 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Blaise in Surrey
    Clergy can sign - pop along to your local C of E church and ask there. A small donation would be gratefully received :-)
    • benjus
    • By benjus 7th Aug 18, 9:16 AM
    • 5,240 Posts
    • 3,230 Thanks
    benjus
    Clergy can sign - pop along to your local C of E church and ask there. A small donation would be gratefully received :-)
    Originally posted by Blaise in Surrey
    They still have to have known you for 2 years, so only works if you are a regular churchgoer or happen to know the priest personally.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
    • maman
    • By maman 7th Aug 18, 12:37 PM
    • 18,847 Posts
    • 112,539 Thanks
    maman
    I know of a few countersigners who have been rung up and checked by the passport office. It's worth making sure you really kniw the details of who you have signed for as it doesn't look good if you can't answer their questions.
    Originally posted by Kynthia

That's happened to me both for passports and those ID cards that teenagers use to get into pubs! Surely if you genuinely know the person it isn't a problem.

They still have to have known you for 2 years, so only works if you are a regular churchgoer or happen to know the priest personally.
    Originally posted by benjus

I think that's why GPs aren't an automatic choice !!! the list says.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

317Posts Today

1,375Users online

Martin's Twitter