Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Andrew
      Verified User verified user
    • By MSE Andrew Verified User verified user 31st Jul 18, 5:52 PM
    • 85Posts
    • 24Thanks
    MSE Andrew
    MSE News: Octopus Energy to take on Iresa's 90,000 customers - here's what you need to know
    • 31st Jul 18, 5:52 PM
    MSE News: Octopus Energy to take on Iresa's 90,000 customers - here's what you need to know 31st Jul 18 at 5:52 PM
    Customers of gas and electricity provider Iresa, which ceased trading last week, are to be taken on by Octopus Energy...
    Read the full story:
    'Octopus Energy to take on Iresa's 90,000 customers - here's what you need to know'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
Page 10
    • beardiedog
    • By beardiedog 13th Sep 18, 12:17 PM
    • 565 Posts
    • 216 Thanks
    beardiedog
    My switches appear to have gone through OK. Tariff details have vanished from Octopus, though no 'goodbye' email yet. My leccy account is now showing as being with Eversmart on the MPAN database, though still waiting for online account access from them. Submitted meter reading by email in the meantime.
    My new gas supplier (Angelic) emailed to confirm I am on supply with them. But on checking with the MPRN database, my supplier is still registered with them as being Iresa! Hmm...
    For those of us whose Octopus accounts are in credit, they really have no incentive to produce final bills until they are near to the 6 week deadline.
    Originally posted by macman
    Are we going to get any interest on our credit balances?

Love and power
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 13th Sep 18, 12:33 PM
    • 5,092 Posts
    • 2,241 Thanks
    brewerdave
    Are we going to get any interest on our credit balances?

Love and power
    Originally posted by beardiedog

Remember that Octopus have agreed to refund the credits due to ex customers of Iresa who had already deserted the sinking ship!!

Their cashflow must be in danger of taking a Titanic size hit
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 13th Sep 18, 1:26 PM
    • 6,135 Posts
    • 3,924 Thanks
    Hengus
    Remember that Octopus have agreed to refund the credits due to ex customers of Iresa who had already deserted the sinking ship!!

Their cashflow must be in danger of taking a Titanic size hit
    Originally posted by brewerdave
    Octopus has a backer with deep pockets, and no doubt they will seek to recover all customer credits paid out from the Consumer Levy (paid for by all energy consumers):

Quote: Octopus Energy’s backer, Octopus Investments, are the UK’s largest investor in solar farms, with over £1.5 billion invested to date. Octopus-funded farms generate 40% of the UK’s large-scale solar – enough to power over a quarter of a million homes. Unquote (source The Big Deal)
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 13th Sep 18, 1:33 PM
    • 6,135 Posts
    • 3,924 Thanks
    Hengus
    Bulb confirmed switch yesterday, not heard a dickie bird from Octopus yet.
    Originally posted by beardiedog
    Sadly, the processes underpinning the transfer of a domestic energy supply takes more time than most people would like. It can take the Data Collectors up to 10 days to verify the meter readings that you provided. Without these verified readings, the losing supplier cannot raise a Final Bill. It is also worth pointing out that it is the Gaining Supplier that has the responsibility for managing a switch/ transfer. In my experience, the losing supplier is unlikely to waste time telling you that the transfer has gone through.
    • katies mum
    • By katies mum 13th Sep 18, 1:37 PM
    • 1,986 Posts
    • 231 Thanks
    katies mum
    Email from Octopus

We are not able to generate the final bill until we have received the final readings from your new supplier, once we have received them, it can take up to 2-4 weeks to generate the final bill and close the account.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 13th Sep 18, 3:14 PM
    • 5,092 Posts
    • 2,241 Thanks
    brewerdave
    Octopus has a backer with deep pockets, and no doubt they will seek to recover all customer credits paid out from the Consumer Levy (paid for by all energy consumers):

Quote: Octopus Energy’s backer, Octopus Investments, are the UK’s largest investor in solar farms, with over £1.5 billion invested to date. Octopus-funded farms generate 40% of the UK’s large-scale solar – enough to power over a quarter of a million homes. Unquote (source The Big Deal)
    Originally posted by Hengus

Yes,quite correct - but even huge International players can run into short term cash flow difficulties - I'm sure that Octopus have underestimated 1. the mess Iresa's management made of customer accounts and 2. the number of ex Iresa customers who have jumped ship at the earliest opportunity
    • macman
    • By macman 13th Sep 18, 4:03 PM
    • 42,664 Posts
    • 17,942 Thanks
    macman
    Minor update: I received am email link from Eversmart allowing me to set up my online account, after I requested one. However the functionality is about as basic as can be: it doesn't even tell me what tariff I'm on.
    And then, on trying to enter my meter reading, it just gives an error message. 'Error: Register required'. So far it all makes Iresa seem pretty slick by comparison, but we shall see...
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • jjpmaia
    • By jjpmaia 13th Sep 18, 4:13 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    jjpmaia
    So, what are people swithing to?
    FOr me Iresa was perfect, cheap and never had an issue with them (electricicty only).

Ocopus is more expensive but on Uswich it says I can only save £48 a year, so I don't if its worth the trouble for £24 as I am leaving the UK in March...
    • gardner1
    • By gardner1 13th Sep 18, 6:11 PM
    • 2,626 Posts
    • 3,885 Thanks
    gardner1
    Minor update: I received am email link from Eversmart allowing me to set up my online account, after I requested one. However the functionality is about as basic as can be: it doesn't even tell me what tariff I'm on.
    And then, on trying to enter my meter reading, it just gives an error message. 'Error: Register required'. So far it all makes Iresa seem pretty slick by comparison, but we shall see...
    Originally posted by macman
    Yes i had same problem.....i emailed meter read and received response within 15 min acknowledging reading and stating they hope to have the website fully working in a few days
    To be fair Octopus doesn't tell me what tariff i'm on
    Last edited by gardner1; 13-09-2018 at 6:14 PM.
    • macman
    • By macman 13th Sep 18, 6:38 PM
    • 42,664 Posts
    • 17,942 Thanks
    macman
    They said they would update the meter read from their end-but it still shows 00000.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • tillycat123
    • By tillycat123 13th Sep 18, 8:02 PM
    • 914 Posts
    • 925 Thanks
    tillycat123
    I emailed the readings and got a 3 word response, they have been added but account still says 00000. No anything from Octopus to say I have left, no anything to say welcome to eversmart. Agree, Iresa were far better!
    • patchey1000
    • By patchey1000 13th Sep 18, 8:15 PM
    • 320 Posts
    • 190 Thanks
    patchey1000
    Has anybody received any money back from Octopus. I had £200 credit in my Iresa account but moved out soon after the takeover and they are not the supplier of the new flat.

Is there not a time limit for getting credit balances paid back? They said it could take months
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 13th Sep 18, 8:20 PM
    • 6,135 Posts
    • 3,924 Thanks
    Hengus
    I emailed the readings and got a 3 word response, they have been added but account still says 00000. No anything from Octopus to say I have left, no anything to say welcome to eversmart. Agree, Iresa were far better!
    Originally posted by tillycat123
    On switch, meter readings have to be validated by an independent industry third party. The validation process can take up to 10 days. The validated readings have to be used to open and close accounts.

https://octopus.energy/blog/secret-life-opening-meter-reading/
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 13th Sep 18, 8:22 PM
    • 6,135 Posts
    • 3,924 Thanks
    Hengus
    Has anybody received any money back from Octopus. I had £200 credit in my Iresa account but moved out soon after the takeover and they are not the supplier of the new flat.

Is there not a time limit for getting credit balances paid back? They said it could take months
    Originally posted by patchey1000
    Suppliers, under EU Law, have to use their reasonable efforts to issue you with a Final Bill no later than 6 weeks after the transfer of supply. See my post above re the validation of closing readings.

If you have actually left the property, then having just moved myself, I can testify that my account with Octopus for my old property was signed off in days not weeks.
    Last edited by Hengus; 13-09-2018 at 8:25 PM.
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 13th Sep 18, 10:14 PM
    • 3,712 Posts
    • 2,317 Thanks
    matelodave
    Suppliers, under EU Law, have to use their reasonable efforts to issue you with a Final Bill no later than 6 weeks after the transfer of supply. See my post above re the validation of closing readings.

If you have actually left the property, then having just moved myself, I can testify that my account with Octopus for my old property was signed off in days not weeks.
    Originally posted by Hengus
    Probably because you you weren't actually transferring your supply but terminating your contract at those premises and gave them a direct final reading.

This is not the same as swapping suppliers which involves the validation process which seems to slow it down by an inordinate amount of time and gives the supplier(s) an excuse to drag their feet a bit as well
    Love makes the world go round - beer make it go round even faster
    Look after our planet - it's the only one with beer
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 14th Sep 18, 9:23 AM
    • 5,092 Posts
    • 2,241 Thanks
    brewerdave
    Octopus have published an Iresa blog update which suggests that they still have 10,000 Iresa final bills to sort and despatch! Also that they are starting to move on sorting out those who had actually switched from Iresa in the final days and owe or are owed monies.

No move on my situation -Octopus have not sent me anything to suggest that I've left and the new supplier, Usio ,haven't sent anything re start of supply date
    HOWEVER, my account page with Usio is showing that I'm in credit.....but for some unknown reason ,the credit is 44p less than the DD that they took -ts a mystery and hope it isn't a sign of things to come!!
    • beardiedog
    • By beardiedog 14th Sep 18, 10:26 AM
    • 565 Posts
    • 216 Thanks
    beardiedog
    Thanks brewerdave, mine is still in limbo.

Maddie, bless her, seems to have trouble knowing what day/month it is occasionally
    • johnpr98
    • By johnpr98 14th Sep 18, 10:37 AM
    • 76 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    johnpr98
    Under Thursday 13 August if you have trouble finding the update
    https://octopus.energy/blog/iresa-daily-updates/
    • Inigo Montoya
    • By Inigo Montoya 14th Sep 18, 4:56 PM
    • 767 Posts
    • 678 Thanks
    Inigo Montoya
    Octopus have published an Iresa blog update which suggests that they still have 10,000 Iresa final bills to sort and despatch! Also that they are starting to move on sorting out those who had actually switched from Iresa in the final days and owe or are owed monies.

(
    Originally posted by brewerdave
    I phoned Octopus today - they stated they will be creating 'skeleton' accounts for IRESA customers who left IRESA but still have credit balances to be refunded

For people like me in the above mentioned situation it sounds like its going to quite a while yet before refunds are processed

Due to the delay Ive tried contacting my bank about the direct debit guarantee scheme but getting a refund of what im owed would mean lying about when I left IRESA as you can only get a refund of any DDs taken after you left them - its highly unlikely to work even then as they will ask for proof of the leaving date
    Last edited by Inigo Montoya; 14-09-2018 at 4:59 PM.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 15th Sep 18, 10:31 AM
    • 6,469 Posts
    • 10,703 Thanks
    Farway
    I phoned Octopus today - they stated they will be creating 'skeleton' accounts for IRESA customers who left IRESA but still have credit balances to be refunded

For people like me in the above mentioned situation it sounds like its going to quite a while yet before refunds are processed
    Originally posted by Inigo Montoya
    Thanks for this, much the same as me.
    I left before Iresa went bust, at least I'm only owed about 20 quid, but I can understand how Octopus is in no hurry start giving cash back to people who are extremely unlikely to become one of their customers.

In the meantime I'll sit and wait as a "skeleton in their cupboard"
    “No pleasure is worth giving up for the sake of two more years in a geriatric home in Weston-super-Mare.” Kingsley Amis
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,863Posts Today

8,216Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin