Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • roshydoshy
    • By roshydoshy 31st Jul 18, 4:06 PM
    • 814Posts
    • 5,826Thanks
    roshydoshy
    Moving to NI
    • 31st Jul 18, 4:06 PM
    Moving to NI 31st Jul 18 at 4:06 PM
    Hello everyone

I was wondering what needs to be done in order for me and my partner to move back to NI?

He's born in Mid-Ulster and my parents are in Donegal (Inishowen) although I've been raised in England.

Is there any differences in buying property/registering cars/ etc that is different to moving to a different part of mainland UK - if you happen to know!

Sorry if this seems a random question and pretty open ended but every question has to start somewhere!
Page 1
    • butterflymum
    • By butterflymum 31st Jul 18, 5:12 PM
    • 953 Posts
    • 841 Thanks
    butterflymum
    • 31st Jul 18, 5:12 PM
    • 31st Jul 18, 5:12 PM
    A starting point for a variety of info:

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/
    butterfly )i(
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 31st Jul 18, 5:35 PM
    • 3,784 Posts
    • 1,986 Thanks
    ballyblack
    • 31st Jul 18, 5:35 PM
    • 31st Jul 18, 5:35 PM
    Is there any differences in buying property/registering cars/ etc that is different to moving to a different part of mainland UK - if you happen to know!
    As regarding cars you just tax the car at a local main Post office and you can change to a NI reg number or retain the orginal UK mainland number
    • Tammykitty
    • By Tammykitty 31st Jul 18, 5:50 PM
    • 616 Posts
    • 1,251 Thanks
    Tammykitty
    • 31st Jul 18, 5:50 PM
    • 31st Jul 18, 5:50 PM
    Hi,

Things are slightly different here as we have our own legal system, but its not radically different.

Car registration - just fill in the change of address section of your log book (or V whatever it is called now!)

Buying a house - If you are selling one, I wouldn't recommend using an English solicitor for the sale and purchase, as its unlikely they would be experienced in NI (although - as I said there is not much difference.

The only difference in buying a house is theta rightmove etc don't cover NI - use propertypal.com or propertynews.com
    • RikM
    • By RikM 1st Aug 18, 8:23 PM
    • 645 Posts
    • 362 Thanks
    RikM
    • 1st Aug 18, 8:23 PM
    • 1st Aug 18, 8:23 PM
    Regarding buying property: leasehold is strangely prevalent, but should be being wiped out with newer purchases.
    Cars used to have to be re-registered, but not anymore since the DVLA took over. You can tax your car the same way as in England. Licences are still NI specific, however.
    MOTs: you have a year longer before the first one and tests can only take place at government sites (garages still advertise "pre-testing" however. Chancers).
    Voter registration is apparently compulsory (anyone ever been fined?).
    Sunday shopping hours are different...
    • irishjohn
    • By irishjohn 2nd Aug 18, 9:05 AM
    • 1,216 Posts
    • 1,982 Thanks
    irishjohn
    • 2nd Aug 18, 9:05 AM
    Car insurance
    • 2nd Aug 18, 9:05 AM
    In all likelihood your existing policy will not cover Northern Ireland. Its Ok for making short trips here but once you live here you will need to change to a policy which covers N ireland residents.
    John
    • roshydoshy
    • By roshydoshy 2nd Aug 18, 3:10 PM
    • 814 Posts
    • 5,826 Thanks
    roshydoshy
    • 2nd Aug 18, 3:10 PM
    • 2nd Aug 18, 3:10 PM
    Thanks everyone, was aware of most of the above so it looks like not too many differences between places. Appreciate you all taking the time to reply
    • RikM
    • By RikM 2nd Aug 18, 3:48 PM
    • 645 Posts
    • 362 Thanks
    RikM
    • 2nd Aug 18, 3:48 PM
    • 2nd Aug 18, 3:48 PM
    In all likelihood your existing policy will not cover Northern Ireland. Its Ok for making short trips here but once you live here you will need to change to a policy which covers N ireland residents.
    Originally posted by irishjohn
    Really? Firms like Direct line cover the entirety of the UK and southern Ireland, by default (confirmed from policy documents online).
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 2nd Aug 18, 4:16 PM
    • 3,784 Posts
    • 1,986 Thanks
    ballyblack
    • 2nd Aug 18, 4:16 PM
    • 2nd Aug 18, 4:16 PM
    Firms like Direct line cover the entirety of the UK and southern Ireland, by default (confirmed from policy documents online).
    Yes but you have to inform them of your permanent address, this may reflect on the premium paid
    • RikM
    • By RikM 2nd Aug 18, 8:05 PM
    • 645 Posts
    • 362 Thanks
    RikM
    Yes but you have to inform them of your permanent address, this may reflect on the premium paid
    Originally posted by ballyblack
    Yes, but that's true wherever you move to. Premiums are different in (for example) Greater London than they are in Hertfordshire, or up in the North East...
    • Artytarty
    • By Artytarty 3rd Aug 18, 10:23 AM
    • 2,225 Posts
    • 5,110 Thanks
    Artytarty
    Yay! You can revert to calling a scallion a scallion not a spring onion!
    Any others?
    Norn Iron Club member 473
    • RikM
    • By RikM 3rd Aug 18, 12:04 PM
    • 645 Posts
    • 362 Thanks
    RikM
    Yay! You can revert to calling a scallion a scallion not a spring onion!
    Any others?
    Originally posted by Artytarty
    And start calling a swede, "turnip" again... Asking for "red sauce"...
    • Artytarty
    • By Artytarty 3rd Aug 18, 1:31 PM
    • 2,225 Posts
    • 5,110 Thanks
    Artytarty
    Is red sauce an N.I. Thing? I never knew that!
    And getting used to " here's yer wee receipt love"
    • Coolhandluke
    • By Coolhandluke 3rd Aug 18, 5:22 PM
    • 578 Posts
    • 170 Thanks
    Coolhandluke
    And not forgetting brown lemonade and buttermilk being wildly available.
    • irishjohn
    • By irishjohn 6th Aug 18, 3:06 PM
    • 1,216 Posts
    • 1,982 Thanks
    irishjohn
    Really? Firms like Direct line cover the entirety of the UK and southern Ireland, by default (confirmed from policy documents online).
    Originally posted by RikM
    Yes I used Direct Line here in NI but when I moved here from GB I rang my insurance company to update my address and was simply told - "We don't cover N Ireland, your policy is not valid there." And at the time I found there are a number of Motor Insurance Policies which were not valid. I had to cancel - accept an early cancellation penalty and go find a new policy for myself.
    John
    • Bigcammy
    • By Bigcammy 7th Aug 18, 3:13 PM
    • 1,041 Posts
    • 573 Thanks
    Bigcammy
    Enter your wee pin? What's your wee postcode? What school did you go to? (getting more sinister!)
    Norn Iron Club Member No. 252
    • roshydoshy
    • By roshydoshy 7th Aug 18, 4:10 PM
    • 814 Posts
    • 5,826 Thanks
    roshydoshy

Oh i can't wait for a wee dander to get all my messages but its a scallion all day long in my house anyway! Such a more cheerful way of speaking compared to here! I'm sure the novelty will wear off in due course
    • Artytarty
    • By Artytarty 8th Aug 18, 3:24 PM
    • 2,225 Posts
    • 5,110 Thanks
    Artytarty
    Haha!
    Here's to feeling bad if you forget to thank the bus driver!
    I think that's an N.I. "Thing"
    • LexieLou
    • By LexieLou 25th Aug 18, 5:26 PM
    • 638 Posts
    • 1,083 Thanks
    LexieLou
    As regarding cars you just tax the car at a local main Post office and you can change to a NI reg number or retain the orginal UK mainland number
    Originally posted by ballyblack
    Moving you card to NI and registering it, if you want to keep your reg plate, make sure you detail your reg plate no on the form, otherwise you will get an NI one

Car insurance, sometimes you are cheaper going with local companies than companies based in England, be prepared for you car insurance to possibly go up, depending on where you move too.

Apart from that, welcome xxx
    Sept 10 a day 150 / 300, 50% Oct 10 a day / 300 0%
    1% Challenge #53
    7.54 in sealed pot 10.05.18
    Tesco Vouchers 30.50
    EF #2 used, back to zero. EF #1 still in progress
    • gmm30
    • By gmm30 2nd Sep 18, 12:14 AM
    • 92 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    gmm30
    Moving you card to NI and registering it, if you want to keep your reg plate, make sure you detail your reg plate no on the form, otherwise you will get an NI one
    Originally posted by LexieLou
    Not any more, now that NI cars are registered at DVLA Swansea the same as the rest of the UK, not DVLNI/DVA. It's just a simple change of address, same as moving to Liverpool or Cornwall. The default option will be to retain the existing GB plate, unless you want a NI one. I wouldn't bother by the way - loads of GB plates over here now.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,943Posts Today

6,641Users online

Martin's Twitter