Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pilliwinks
    • By Pilliwinks 31st Jul 18, 11:06 AM
    • 15Posts
    • 10Thanks
    Pilliwinks
    Unwanted deliveries from Amazon since December - please help!
    • 31st Jul 18, 11:06 AM
    Unwanted deliveries from Amazon since December - please help! 31st Jul 18 at 11:06 AM
    I am posting the request below on behalf of my elderly (and rather tech-averse) mum who lives in Glasgow. I live in London. I hope somebody can help, I'm at a bit of a loss myself. Thank you in advance.

-----------------

Dear Moneysavingexpert members,

I am hoping someone can help as I am at my wits end. Since December last year I have been receiving (almost every 2-3 weeks) a number of deliveries (almost all electrical) from the internet shopping website Amazon. It's incredibly frustrating because these things are always being delivered when I'm at work and they end up being left outside my front door (I live in a block of flats).

I have never bought anything from Amazon, have no interest in ever buying anything from Amazon and have never registered for their services. The most technical thing I own is a Google laptop my son purchased for me from our local Argos store. I have no interest in technology. My mobile phone cannot receive the internet. I am close to retirement. I have no need of internet shops, my local Waitrose is all I need for shopping.

Back to these parcels. To date I have received computers, a number of mobile phones, what looks to be cables for various things, earphones, something called a "Gigabyte NVIDIA Gtx 980Ti 6 GB GDDR5 384-Bit Pci-E Graphics Card" (I copy this out in full, I have no idea what this is for) and various other items. All these are currently stored in my living room unopened. I live in a very small one bedroom flat so as you can imagine they are now taking up much valued room.

I have now managed to speak to somebody at Amazon about this. They do not seem particularly helpful. They are unable (or unwilling) to identify who is sending these items and claim they cannot stop these things being sent. I have managed to speak to the delivery person on one occasion, but they have said I need to speak to Amazon.

I have spoken to my local Citizens Advice Bureau who have not been helpful either (contact Amazon). They did not seem to have a clear answer on disposal.

I am now at the point where I do not want to put up with this anymore. My local charity shop takes electrical products and are happy to take these items away for sale (I count 23 in total to date).

Could somebody please advise on whether this is permissible? Amazon are not interested in taking them back and I do not want to be in a position where I have to take receipt of these items going forward. But I am also somewhat worried about what position this leaves me in should I get rid of them.

With thanks,

Angela Kreckel
    Last edited by Pilliwinks; 31-07-2018 at 11:06 AM. Reason: grammar
Page 4
    • custardy
    • By custardy 6th Aug 18, 1:51 PM
    • 34,142 Posts
    • 29,020 Thanks
    custardy
    You'd be surprised what some of the idiot delivery drivers consider to be a safe place. I saw one the other day dumped on the pavement at the end of a drive where it couldn't possibly be seen by any occupants inside the house.
    One who saw me walking up the street who asked me to take a parcel for someone although he had no idea whether I lived in the area or not.
    And an Amazon courier who entered into the log that my missing parcel had been handed to the homeowner, which was a complete fabrication.
    And another who left my parcel in a back porch that I haven't got.

Nothing would surprise me as far as delivery drivers in a hurry go.
    Originally posted by elsien
    You would be surprised how many recipients leave notes on their doors to leave the package at the door
    • Prinzessilein
    • By Prinzessilein 6th Aug 18, 2:13 PM
    • 2,542 Posts
    • 11,855 Thanks
    Prinzessilein
    Both Mum and I put notes out asking for parcels to be left outside our front doors....we are in sheltered housing, delivery people would have to use the 'trade' button to get in the main door.

We started putting the notes out after Mum had a note shoved through the door stating the parcel was 'delivered to a neighbour'...no flat number was given, and it took a couple of days to trace the errant parcel to a flat on the second floor (we are both on the ground floor).
    • Pilliwinks
    • By Pilliwinks 17th Aug 18, 11:01 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Pilliwinks
    A quick update and thank you to everyone that offered advice. We have finally (finally!) resolved the issue. I received a call yesterday followed by an email, both extremely apologetic. It would seem that an admin error has been made somewhere that has resulted in my mum's address being appended to that of three different individuals, none of whom bizarrely reside in the UK. So we HAVE been receiving orders for someone else.

It's been an incredibly stressful time and I have to say there is something to be said for high street shopping.

So an apology and guarantee that all has been resolved. And the small mountain of goods that has piled up in the living room? We've been told to keep them. So it seems we could have given these away a long time ago.

So normality has returned. What a huge relief.
    • takman
    • By takman 17th Aug 18, 11:50 AM
    • 3,786 Posts
    • 3,450 Thanks
    takman
    A quick update and thank you to everyone that offered advice. We have finally (finally!) resolved the issue. I received a call yesterday followed by an email, both extremely apologetic. It would seem that an admin error has been made somewhere that has resulted in my mum's address being appended to that of three different individuals, none of whom bizarrely reside in the UK. So we HAVE been receiving orders for someone else.

It's been an incredibly stressful time and I have to say there is something to be said for high street shopping.

So an apology and guarantee that all has been resolved. And the small mountain of goods that has piled up in the living room? We've been told to keep them. So it seems we could have given these away a long time ago.

So normality has returned. What a huge relief.
    Originally posted by Pilliwinks
    So i have to ask what will you do with them? You could put them all on eBay and make a good amount of money from them.
    • Pilliwinks
    • By Pilliwinks 17th Aug 18, 1:59 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Pilliwinks
    So i have to ask what will you do with them? You could put them all on eBay and make a good amount of money from them.
    Originally posted by takman
    My mum lives at the other end of the UK in Glasgow. I have no car and in all my mum understandably wants is just to get rid of everything now, it's taking up a significant chunk of her living room in a very small flat. And quite frankly I've had enough of it, I just want to move on its been incredibly stressful. I don't really have any need of any of these items so will just be giving them away. To me its just (now 26) boxes of unwanted junk.
    Last edited by Pilliwinks; 17-08-2018 at 2:00 PM. Reason: grammar
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 17th Aug 18, 3:39 PM
    • 30,122 Posts
    • 77,412 Thanks
    Mojisola
    I don't really have any need of any of these items so will just be giving them away.
    Does your Mum have a favourite charity who could make good use of them - they could sell them online or keep them for raffle prizes, etc.
    • knightstyle
    • By knightstyle 17th Aug 18, 6:57 PM
    • 4,895 Posts
    • 1,846 Thanks
    knightstyle
    +1 for giving it all to a charity but make sure she keeps WRITTEN proof of being able to keep everything.
    • bris
    • By bris 17th Aug 18, 7:06 PM
    • 8,165 Posts
    • 7,125 Thanks
    bris

A good ending to the story.

And in another exciting development today a pig was seen flying over Amazons headquarters.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

328Posts Today

1,469Users online

Martin's Twitter