Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 30th Jul 18, 8:59 PM
    • 4,461Posts
    • 25,795Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    NST - Achievable August
    • 30th Jul 18, 8:59 PM
    NST - Achievable August 30th Jul 18 at 8:59 PM
    Welcome to August’s NST challenge.

The flowers for August are the Gladioli and the Poppy which represents beauty, strength, love, marriage and family.

So for August we are going to pick one of the above to work on – if you feel you have let your skincare routine go, or you have been saying yes too often to things or maybe you need to start loving yourself (or others) then that will be your focus this month.

Rules:

Aim – for 15 NSD’s this month. If you think you can do more that is fantastic
    Medical spends, fuel or days when the only purchase is reduced items do not count as spends.

Update (Budgets) – instead of just setting budgets for the month I want you all to look at any direct debits/standing orders/continuous payment authorities and check to see if you still need or use them. If you don’t get cancelling.
    Also make sure you pay to debts first this month and also put some in savings.

Get (prepared for Xmas) – Xmas is only 5 months away so that is either 4 or 5 pay days for monthly paid people. Have you written your list of who needs a present? If you have can you cull some from the list? A lot of people buy over Xmas for others as it is what has always been done but are too frightened to speak up – well Turtles are not frightened of suggesting things!! Maybe a family Secret Santa would help save money. Once you have your list down to the minimum then you need to start thinking of ideas and then start looking for those things in the sale or even better for free.

Utilise (free activities in your area) - I would like everyone to find out about free activities for kids or adults in their area and attend one of these – obviously if its not until later in the year that’s fine, book now if you need to or if not get it in the diary and maybe rope some friends in as well.

Share (money saving tips) – I would like people to post once a week with a moneysaving tip, you may have been doing it for years and think everyone knows about it but I guarantee not everyone will know about it so get sharing.

Treat (yourself) – I would like everyone to budget £3 for a luxury item, I want everyone to treat themselves this month. Maybe it’s a favourite chocolate bar that you haven’t brought in ages, maybe it’s a nice soap/shower gel but is too expensive to buy for day to day use.
    If your only spend on the day you buy this item is that item then you can count it as a NSD.

The challenge will run from 1st August 00:01 until 31st August 00:00.

Thanks to all Turtles for joining the thread this month - please post as much as possible to let us know your progress.
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 1 for August
    NSD - 5/15
    (up to 6/8/18)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
Page 11
    • Kerry Woman
    • By Kerry Woman 11th Aug 18, 6:26 PM
    • 2,412 Posts
    • 23,514 Thanks
    Kerry Woman
    NSD today 8/20.
    Not much done today. Stayed in most of the day, but did sat in the communal garden for quite a while doing mindful colouring and word search. Did a little housework.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2018
    Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
    NST - Achievable August NSD 11/20
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 11th Aug 18, 6:37 PM
    • 7,554 Posts
    • 56,942 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Today I am grateful for big sis staying here last night so we had a good natter, for dh doing all the driving today, for taking dss + fiancee out for lunch and having a great catch up, for some sunshine on the Brighton beach, for dd sooo loving the bungee bouncing thing, for finding swedish glace ice cream cones (gf/df ice creams!), for an easy tea.
    NST August Achiever #16; NSD 6/15; Ex 10/20 ; craft 12 (105); remove 1 (593)
    2018 Pay off: £2382; 2
    018 sell £49.10; WLOSW 1/10

Mortgage £20,761 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • lcc86
    • By lcc86 11th Aug 18, 7:50 PM
    • 1,011 Posts
    • 3,149 Thanks
    lcc86
    Spend day here, needed some hair dye and some veg for the rabbits, so took the opportunity to also get some film for my instant camera. Visited my sister and also the vet but that was free of charge today.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5124473 - my original diary
    £843/£1000 EF £500 saved for household jobs
    Debt free and in the black for the first time in 11 years
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 11th Aug 18, 9:24 PM
    • 2,473 Posts
    • 25,864 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Thanks apple corrected now, no desire for caviar and champagne whatsoever.

Arrived back from the wilds of Blackley an hour and a half ago. Wonderful food, lots of greek salads and flavours. Met DS1's fiancee's aunt and uncle, have seen a photo of the wedding dress and planned hairstyle and have committed to having a meal with her parents in Sorrento, the evening before the wedding.

Also agreed to send them £250 towards a dishwasher as their wedding present. I could not afford to give them anything towards the cost of the wedding and after my pondering I had come up with a formula based on the cost of a special office chair DS1 wanted to buy last time I was there (est cost £125 - £200, he didn't tell me what he had paid) and giving them a month's mortgage payment (my estimate £600, actually £1000). Later on the subject of dishwashers came up (it was on their list of future purchases but not needed immediately) and I offered the £250 as a rough estimate of the cost. It's suitably generous, I hope, but won't seriously damage my savings (please let them make a decision on my WTC soon, so that I now if I can live a pleasant but frugal existence or am back to being a pauper).

Taxi driver had no idea where we were going (their house was only completed in December and the estate is still being built behind them) but he and I agreed on roughly the right direction and when the satnav indicated to turn onto the estate (large Booth Hall sign I remembered - built on the site of the former children's hospital) I knew which streets to turn down (DS1 walked me back to the bus stop on my first visit and we talked about some of the street names - vaguely tree/ plant based but in order to avoid the mediocre they've used some which we are pretty certain are poisonous). But luckily Goat Willow and North Maple were memorable enough (he wrote them down to pass on to the driver who came to collect us).

Took the scenic route home - the driver knew he was going to get paid, so he ambled a bit to familiarise himself with some new areas.

Very tired so bed soon.

Today I am grateful for a lovely day, for things working out/ falling into place and getting home before the downpour started
    This year I will be fierce
    NST Aug #4 SFD 4 /15 Food £50.47/£200 Travel 11.50/£15 Ent/diy £0/£30 Ext £250 washer £250 wedding present
    No Debt No mortgage
    • sashanut
    • By sashanut 11th Aug 18, 9:43 PM
    • 2,886 Posts
    • 26,759 Thanks
    sashanut
    Hi all

The flowers for August are the Gladioli and the Poppy which represents beauty, strength, love, marriage and family

Sitting here waiting to do yet another airport run - this time to pick up DH - so far his plane is delayed an hour so not setting off yet. Had a very quiet day here - first rainy day since I got here. Did some sorting out inside,
    But would prefer to be in the garden...

Was fretting when I left home re getting rid of stuff, but living here with very little clutter makes me realise I could do with a lot less.

Aim – for 15 NSD’s now 3/15

Update (Budgets) – no change

Get (prepared for Xmas) – Finished some knitting today, started some more. Need to get organised when I get back as I am always on the last minute come Christmas despite thinking I have it in hand.

Utilise (free activities in your area) - no activities today other than stuff I brought with me so essentially free

Share (money saving tips) – done

Treat (yourself) – I would like everyone to budget £3 for a luxury item, I think this will be some twinings, but will decide later

Go turtles!!!!!!
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 . Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE
    • misstara
    • By misstara 11th Aug 18, 10:29 PM
    • 2,846 Posts
    • 20,167 Thanks
    misstara
    NSD 7/15 for me today
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £623.88 (72.9% paid)
    Car debt Nov 2017 £797.68 Now £437.85 (45.1% paid) + monthly payments £146.82 8/60
    Emergency fund - £67.75/£1000. Car fund - £200/£1000.
    Mini Targets in August
    Exercise target - 1/16. Groceries target £72.71/£200. NSD target 7/15.
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 12th Aug 18, 8:24 AM
    • 1,509 Posts
    • 14,323 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Yesterday turned out to be a NSD after all. We didn't go to the shops and decided to have rice with our spicy chicken casserole instead. Actually, when I thought about it we have rice and pasta in the store cupboard and various types of potato in the freezer so probably don't need to really buy any fresh stuff for a few days yet, So 9/15.
    Other than that we had a very quiet, lazy day.
    It's raining heavily at the moment and Himself's still in bed so I think I'll finish this cup of coffee, do some cooking and iron up that needs done (very little!). Might even have a little tidy of a couple of cupboards in the kitchen.
    • Fmess
    • By Fmess 12th Aug 18, 8:33 AM
    • 2,732 Posts
    • 26,205 Thanks
    Fmess
    Morning all,

SFD number 6 yesterday. I did lots of dog walking, yoga at the gym and cut as much of the hedge as I can reach. Just woke up so must have been tired.

Today might be SFD number 7, I need a few food bits but they can probably wait until tomorrow. I might go to aqua aerobics in a minute but quite tired as I!!!8217;ve swam for nearly an hour every day last week. Not much else planned as it!!!8217;s raining so I!!!8217;ll do some temping work.
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 (100% cleared)
    New Car and Roof Debt £0/£19033
    DecNST #2 SFD 13/15 Food 105/120 Personal 380/350 Petrol 80.01/80
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 12th Aug 18, 11:44 AM
    • 4,461 Posts
    • 25,795 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    Everyone is doing really brilliantly - I'm nosey so this thread is like a little peek into everyone's lives.

Have managed another 4 NSD's since last week, spent yesterday as DD and her friend wanted fajitas and I had none of it in.

Will probably spend today as need to get some potatoes and veg for roast dinner, I don't buy too much of anything at the moment as normally just me here in the week with DD at weekends and fod just goes off as I cant be bothered to cook mid week.

I am off this week so hope to use some bits up especially flour and baking stuff. will also root through the freezer and get one of them emptied.

Have been trying to love myself more since my marriage ended a few months ago, just doing what I want and remaining positive about everything plus joined a friendship/dating site to see if I can find some new friends who are interested in the same thing as me.
    Positive messages are always a self-esteem boost!!!

Still not brought my treat for the month but going shopping with DD next week so I think I will pop into Lush for a bath bomb.

Have a fab Sunday everyone
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 1 for August
    NSD - 5/15
    (up to 6/8/18)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
    • swimminginaseaofdebt
    • By swimminginaseaofdebt 12th Aug 18, 3:09 PM
    • 796 Posts
    • 4,879 Thanks
    swimminginaseaofdebt
    Afternoon everyone,

Seemed to have spent quite a bit of money this weekend so spends are now at £173.28/£350.

Received 77p from Qmee bringing my extra income for the month to £22.98/£50.

Batch cooked the little one 5 portions of vegetable curry and 2 portions of frittata (would’ve made more but forgot to pick up more eggs from the supermarket).
    Pay all debt off by Christmas 2018 #150 - £895.62/£2018
    SPC11 #564
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 12th Aug 18, 3:52 PM
    • 1,509 Posts
    • 14,323 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    NSD 10/15. All the dinner is coming from the freezer and I've made a big pot of bolognese. I've now used all the tinned tomatoes as well. I really must make an inventory of what we have.
    Ironing done but couldn't really face the cupboards. Well, it is Sunday!
    • Kerry Woman
    • By Kerry Woman 12th Aug 18, 6:27 PM
    • 2,412 Posts
    • 23,514 Thanks
    Kerry Woman
    NSD today 9/20.
    Walked to the bottle bank to recycle some bottles and jars. Phoned friend to see if she was in. She was going out for lunch with a friend said that I could come along. She paid for it. We all walked into town then walked back to her flat, and then I just walked to mine.
    Going to have a chilled out evening.
    Last edited by Kerry Woman; 12-08-2018 at 6:56 PM.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2018
    Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
    NST - Achievable August NSD 11/20
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 12th Aug 18, 6:42 PM
    • 3,710 Posts
    • 31,788 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Just a quick check in from me today to report 2 nsd's this weekend. Much needed as I'm away again with the kids from tomorrow until Wednesday so I'll be more skint by the end of the week.
    Much love to everyone - I'm struggling a bit mood wise myself at the moment so hugs and positivity to thise that need it.
    Achievable August NSD #18 3/15 DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • greent
    • By greent 12th Aug 18, 8:17 PM
    • 7,228 Posts
    • 73,419 Thanks
    greent
    Days 11 & 12
    Aim 2 NSDs - 1 today, but bought groceries and car ad-blue yesterday

Update (Budgets) done.

Get (prepared for Xmas) Have written list of bdays between now and end of Jan and Xmas list. and come up with a few ideas of what I'd like from people (eg: my mum) (So far ideas for me include 2 new bread tins (found the exact ones I want), Sanctuareeee smellies and a bottle of perfume to replace the one I'm running low on)

Utilise Quiet weekend for us, recovering from CP. Although today we wallpapered a shirt wall for a friend - need to do another next weekend.

Share (money saving tips)

Treat (yourself) still need to book my eyebrows - will aim to book them this coming week
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2018 OPs (#18) £3290.25/£4000
    Net sales 2018 £613.49/£1000 PAYDOX18 (#15) Done £18918.90
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 12th Aug 18, 8:18 PM
    • 7,554 Posts
    • 56,942 Thanks
    apple muncher
    I am grateful today for a good long walk and natter with dd, for finding dd a lovely dress in a ch shop, for good bus connections (no way were we walking home after walking all the way there!), for dh getting through some really tedious paperwork, for dd's love of reading, for my sewing machine, for the HP books.
    NST August Achiever #16; NSD 6/15; Ex 10/20 ; craft 12 (105); remove 1 (593)
    2018 Pay off: £2382; 2
    018 sell £49.10; WLOSW 1/10

Mortgage £20,761 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • sashanut
    • By sashanut 12th Aug 18, 11:00 PM
    • 2,886 Posts
    • 26,759 Thanks
    sashanut
    No 9 checking in
    Hi all

The flowers for August are the Gladioli and the Poppy which represents beauty, strength, love, marriage and family

Plane landed late so was late back & stayed up later chatting & having a cuppa. Then couldn't sleep, finally got up very late. Never mind still on hols!

DH cut down some more of the overgrown garden, then we went out for lunch but place was rammed so bought some stuff from deli to have at home..

Did some more shopping as we have a €10 coupon off a €50 spend - got 2 so will go back tomorrow. Always get stuff to take back. Does mean no NSDs for the moment though

Aim – for 15 NSD’s still 3/15

Update (Budgets) – no change

Get (prepared for Xmas) – Bought a jumper that my friend admired when she was here but didn't buy - will gift it either for her birthday in October or for Christmas

Utilise (free activities in your area) - no free activities today

Share (money saving tips) – done

Treat (yourself) – I would like everyone to budget £3 for a luxury item, I think this will be some twinings, but will decide later

Go turtles!!!!!!
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 . Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE
    • Fmess
    • By Fmess 13th Aug 18, 6:49 AM
    • 2,732 Posts
    • 26,205 Thanks
    Fmess
    Morning all,

SFD number 7 yesterday. Only one dog walk as it rained so much but did 4 hours temping and invoiced for my hours last week Off to school today to show new staff around, then chiropractor, then temping to get the next batch of work and finally for a swim this afternoon. Hope you all have a good day.
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 (100% cleared)
    New Car and Roof Debt £0/£19033
    DecNST #2 SFD 13/15 Food 105/120 Personal 380/350 Petrol 80.01/80
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 13th Aug 18, 8:39 AM
    • 1,583 Posts
    • 13,071 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Yesterday was indeed NSD7, so hoping today will be too.

2 boys at football club again this week - £1 a day for 2 hours training.

Did junior parkrun yesterday with DS4 - 2km - free - just register and print out your barcode. DS4 loved getting his time emailed to him so he can get better next week. Lots in local parks, aged 4 and over.

DS3 went on free bike ride with DH, he now has a bright yellow bib with his name on it. 11km when you take into account getting to the start park, plus they rode through the Leicester City ground, so he is all happy.

Need to inventorize school uniform, but it will feel too much like the holiday is over.. and we still have 2 weeks left. So I am not doing it!

Tip - School uniform - if you have multiple kids - order online from M4talan and they find all the sizes you need, and will email you when your order is all assembled to pick up instore. Mr T's are not too bad either but M4talan got a gold star for me. Sadly I no longer live near one, but it was much simpler than crawling around on the ground trying to find school trousers in 4 different sizes and ages and having all but one size of shirt!!

I got backpacks for the youngest two at the weekend, but still need to do lunchboxes and drinks bottles. Gah! But not today!!
    MFW START DATE May 16 £118,340 : Oct17 - £109,495.00Dec17 £108,800Jan 18 £108,392.98 March 18 £108,504.72April £108,099May £106,999June 105,999.99July 105,300.00
    August £103,999.99

NEXT GOAL is sub £100k before 2019Mortgage-free wannabe 2018 #65
    • Tropically
    • By Tropically 13th Aug 18, 9:38 AM
    • 303 Posts
    • 1,022 Thanks
    Tropically
    No NSDs this weekend but instead I spent it in Worcester! Great city. I really liked the city. It is gorgeous. Really friendly pedestrian environment, nice people. The shops were good and the bars were so cute. I loved all the micropubs and cool shops. It wasn't that busy at all. I really felt like I could live there. I will need to make a point of going back for a week or so sometime in the future. I had a great weekend.

I'm still dealing with the scum of the earth in selling my belongings. I know that's harsh, but after several weeks of people not turning up when they said they will, a number of scams, and people just being rude in general I think it's apt. I did have someone nice, turn up on time, and pick up an item yesterday, so that was good.

I'm selling some foldable card chairs, the kind that is perfect to pull out for a party, and they have a small bit of paint on them so I'm selling them cheap. I get this message, "Hi im interested however not happy to spend any money on chairs with paint on them. Are you happy to reduce the price or sell separately"

I respond, "They are better as a set, so I wouldn't want to sell them separately. But I could do £25 for all four."

She responds, "Ok. Well thanks anyways. And good luck selling painted chairs haha"

I say, "No problem - it doesn't affect anyone sitting on them."

She says, "Yeh good luck. Haha yeh whatever. Have you even looked at competitors prices. Have seen many cheaper without paint"

The other people on gumtree are hardly my "competitors" and this lady has set out to be rude on a Monday morning for no reason. Did she set out to be a grouch this morning?

I am also selling a set of dressers for £5 because it's not that great quality but still has some life. I live in south east London. I get a message say, "Hi would you deliver to Bristol?" Sure but that'd be £200 delivery fee...

I'm basically fielding responses to my items day in and day out. I have tried freecycle for some items which have been up for a week or so and had no response. I'm also definitely going to try Olio. I hope that I have a better calibre of people from there because it's not even really that I am trying to get the highest return, I just hate waste and don't want to throw these items away. Reduce, reuse, recycle! I guess it's clear I don't have the stomach to be in retail anymore.

Our last airbnb'ers departed yesterday. I plied them with many bottles of free wine. They are off to start their new life in London so I hope they enjoy it. I really like airbnb'ing. It's a great way to make money and meet new people.

I resolved the overdraft situation with my husband. They were wedding expenses that he wanted to cover himself - e.g. his suit, his tie, his best man's suit. But I don't want to pay overdraft fees for them! We're relatively okay and on track.
    Mortgage started at £318,000 in June 2016. Original MF - 2041
    2017 OPs: £7000/£7000
    Mortgage in Nov 2017 - £297,808
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 13th Aug 18, 9:51 AM
    • 5,149 Posts
    • 40,780 Thanks
    DawnW
    Tropically if you are unable to shift things on Freecycle, are there any charity furniture shops near you who would take the items you want to give away? We have several in our area, including one that refurbishes / trains people with learning difficulties etc to do so Most of them collect free of charge

And as for nuisance non-buyers on Gumtree, facebook etc, as a small business person who sometimes uses these platforms, I feel your pain! They are obviously people who have nothing better to do. Just block / ignore them when they start their stupid games! Life is way too short!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,015Posts Today

8,698Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin