Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 30th Jul 18, 8:59 PM
    • 4,482Posts
    • 26,069Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    NST - Achievable August
    • 30th Jul 18, 8:59 PM
    NST - Achievable August 30th Jul 18 at 8:59 PM
    Welcome to August’s NST challenge.

The flowers for August are the Gladioli and the Poppy which represents beauty, strength, love, marriage and family.

So for August we are going to pick one of the above to work on – if you feel you have let your skincare routine go, or you have been saying yes too often to things or maybe you need to start loving yourself (or others) then that will be your focus this month.

Rules:

Aim – for 15 NSD’s this month. If you think you can do more that is fantastic
    Medical spends, fuel or days when the only purchase is reduced items do not count as spends.

Update (Budgets) – instead of just setting budgets for the month I want you all to look at any direct debits/standing orders/continuous payment authorities and check to see if you still need or use them. If you don’t get cancelling.
    Also make sure you pay to debts first this month and also put some in savings.

Get (prepared for Xmas) – Xmas is only 5 months away so that is either 4 or 5 pay days for monthly paid people. Have you written your list of who needs a present? If you have can you cull some from the list? A lot of people buy over Xmas for others as it is what has always been done but are too frightened to speak up – well Turtles are not frightened of suggesting things!! Maybe a family Secret Santa would help save money. Once you have your list down to the minimum then you need to start thinking of ideas and then start looking for those things in the sale or even better for free.

Utilise (free activities in your area) - I would like everyone to find out about free activities for kids or adults in their area and attend one of these – obviously if its not until later in the year that’s fine, book now if you need to or if not get it in the diary and maybe rope some friends in as well.

Share (money saving tips) – I would like people to post once a week with a moneysaving tip, you may have been doing it for years and think everyone knows about it but I guarantee not everyone will know about it so get sharing.

Treat (yourself) – I would like everyone to budget £3 for a luxury item, I want everyone to treat themselves this month. Maybe it’s a favourite chocolate bar that you haven’t brought in ages, maybe it’s a nice soap/shower gel but is too expensive to buy for day to day use.
    If your only spend on the day you buy this item is that item then you can count it as a NSD.

The challenge will run from 1st August 00:01 until 31st August 00:00.

Thanks to all Turtles for joining the thread this month - please post as much as possible to let us know your progress.
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 1 for August
    NSD - 9/15
    (up to 12/8/18)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
Page 10
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 10th Aug 18, 8:05 AM
    • 4,030 Posts
    • 37,195 Thanks
    dolly84
    Aim – for 15 NSD’s this month. 7 NSDs so far. Sad lunch again today. Miso cabbage.!

Update (Budgets) – Shocker not resolved, husband coming home tonight.

Get (prepared for Xmas) – No closer to planning for Christmas!

Utilise (free activities in your area) - I haven't done anything social still! Does anyone want to come to SE london and trade nice chat for booze??? I have so much wedding booze leftover.

Share (money saving tips) – Come get cheap wine from me! High quality but inexpensive because I have 30 bottles and am moving away at the end of the month.

Treat (yourself) – No treats yet. Still not needed one.
    Originally posted by Tropically
    [/QUOTE]

Put the wine on Olio.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler.
    • cuddlymarm
    • By cuddlymarm 10th Aug 18, 8:13 AM
    • 1,184 Posts
    • 6,069 Thanks
    cuddlymarm
    Good morning Turtles
    6 NSDs so far which is much better than expected.
    Yesterday I went to Lidlee for my shopping, originally just for salad and yoghurt but added a few main meal bits and some frozen veg which will last the week. The only thing I couldn’t get was lens wipes but I’ll manage without for now.
    I got paid this morning so chunk off the credit card and I’ll knock more off before next weeks pay if there’s any left ( 3 hours overtime last week and 2 this week is all helping)
    Last nights weigh in was a pound and a half off so happy with that.
    It’s gone a bit cooler here so I’m sleeping better too.
    I also managed to get 2 chunky cardigans and a cotton jumper in the sales because all my winter stuff is worn out. Ok for around the house but too scruffy for anything else. I’m not complaining about needing new clothes though because as we both lose weight I am donating the big stuff straight away.
    Anyway better get on
    Hope you are all well
    Cuddles
    • GlendaSugarbean
    • By GlendaSugarbean 10th Aug 18, 8:13 AM
    • 201 Posts
    • 1,324 Thanks
    GlendaSugarbean
    I can def feel my budget motivation slipping after a couple of months of doing pretty well. Must keep focused! No more NSDs this week, and I failed to organise lunch today. However I'm off for two weeks which is MUCH needed. Holiday will mean extra spending (budgeted for) but I am looking forward to it.

I also need to work out a balance between being sensible with my budget and getting anxious about spending. I get this when I try tracking food on a diet too - making healthier choices overall is fine, but if I track what I eat it's a quick route to my brain deciding that eating as little as possible is a Good Thing and getting anxious about eating at all. Stupid brain!

For those of an anxious persuasion, how do you tell your brain that some spending (when budgeted and affordable) is fine?

Oh and a money saving tip from me: use conditioner instead of shaving cream. Works a treat
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 10th Aug 18, 9:10 AM
    • 1,801 Posts
    • 15,336 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Same thing with me and anxious when dieting and spending money.

You work out your budget and then give yourself permission to spend it.

I have multiple online banking accounts, and move money between them - I have a budget for the week that sits in the everyday acccount , but then the money for the rest of the month sits in another account so that I can switch it all around, and if one of the kids suddenly need new football boots and trainers or school ties (grr) then that money gets transferred in.

I never seem to run out of money this way, and there is always some money left over at the end of the month that can either be a mortgage overpayment or for a treat or birthday presents. Or a budget for a c/s expedition (so books really!)

You have to have something to look forward to, otherwise I get anxious as there is no goal to focus on - currently the goal is getting the mortgage down to £100k in 2018.

On track but I feel like a pauper hermit with no friends (present company excluded) sometimes.
    MFW START DATE May 16 £118,340 : Oct17 - £109,495.00Dec17 £108,800Jan 18 £108,392.98 March 18 £108,504.72April £108,099May £106,999June 105,999.99July 105,300.00
    Aug £103,999.99
    Sep £102,999.99 October 101,999.99
    NEXT GOAL is sub £100k before 2019Mortgage-free wannabe 2018 #65
    • Tropically
    • By Tropically 10th Aug 18, 12:31 PM
    • 306 Posts
    • 1,053 Thanks
    Tropically

Put the wine on Olio.[/QUOTE]

I will, particularly the opened gins etc. With the unopened wine, I am reluctant to give away £300's worth to a stranger (or series of strangers) particularly since my recent experience on gumtree where people kept failing to show up to collect free items has me being very cynical.
    Mortgage started at £318,000 in June 2016. Original MF - 2041
    2017 OPs: £7000/£7000
    Mortgage in Nov 2017 - £297,808
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 10th Aug 18, 12:58 PM
    • 4,014 Posts
    • 34,294 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Hi everyone
    Back from a very expensive (but budgeted) few days. The kids had a great time - my legs didn't. I'm not used to 16000+ steps a day and I'm a big girl so quite tired, and having a well deserved rest today.
    No more nsd's and I had to fuel and grocery shop this morning so none today either - but I knew August would be rough spends wise (why I exam mark) so trying not to stress about that. We're back away again on Monday so I'm going to relax and prepare for that, and rejig the budget to suit.
    While we've been away, we've had a bit of work done on the bathroom, and it looks a lot better now than it did when we went away. Still more to do but I need to save up a bit more.
    Today I'm grateful for sunshine, but not too warm. Exam marking so I can take my kids on holiday, and a sink that doesn't leak.
    October Gobstopper #8 NSD = 12 1 debt vs 100 days £328.51/£1685
    DFD #1: 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 10th Aug 18, 1:26 PM
    • 2,527 Posts
    • 26,399 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Yesterday was a spend day - took the washing to mum's but withdrew cash and sent Beloved (and DS3 - she woke him up) to the shop round the corner to buy a reconditioned machine. £250 from my savings/ emergency fund/ long term purchases (all one). Told her to go for as many As and +s as possible.

Had noticed several large capacity ones and suggested going for one of them so it's easier to wash quilts etc. - my days of trampling up and down on them in the bath are over. It will mean less (but bigger) loads and with an eye on future proofing the door is bigger as well as the drum - should make it slightly easier to load and unload.

7 bags taken to mum's, 4 washing, 2 crafts and food (shopping for mum and my meals for the day). Set off the washing, worked on the jigsaw in between (mum was working on one of the piles I had separated out). Another mystery one but more radical - last time I had to cope with the black steam engine turning into a red modern one, this time it warns you (inside) that the picture on the box is not the same as the puzzle.

I have worked out that it's a desk with various items on it (pen, pencil, coiled phone cord, car keys, blotter) with a series of video surveillance photos spread out on it. Made quite good progress especially when one of my rows matched a row or patch I had done the other day. However apart from the top, I still only have a vague idea whether the other edges are rh side, left hand side or the bottom - linked up lots of matched bits but not a complete outline.

I also did a little crafting (swapped over to the couch in the front room so helped with back pain etc) as well as multiple trips from the kitchen and up and down the yard with wet/ dry washing.

Have booked the taxi for Saturday (lunch at DS1's) and made a provisional booking for coming back home (to mum's). Mum will be paying for those but I may need a taxi to mum's (if I get my act together). I divided the hand tools when DS1 and his gf moved into their house last year, but he did not have room for the sledge hammer, so I may take those with me (no rush as it's a new build, he won't need the sledgehammer anytime soon). I have presents from Portmeirion (gf is a fellow whovian) and gin jam from Pontefract (mum bought that so she doesn't need to take anything else - she asked me). I need to write out the stuff I want translated for the Italy trip (medical info including hip replacement in case it sets off the airport scannners) and a couple of other things to consider (he asked me to collect full addresses for the relatives he knows, presumably for his Christmas card list and possible bbq invite - wedding celebration for people here as the actual wedding party is only about 2 dozen people).

New washer has been installed (old one removed for free) and is quietly working on a quilt.

My plans for the day are finish eating, have a bath, deal with the washing up and parts of the kitchen and then go to boob squash appointment. May manage a SFD if bus fares to and from the appointment are classed as medical but not holding my breath. Will need to buy food at some point and bus could take me near to a couple of SMs for the same price as coming home.
    This year I will be fierce
    NST Oct #23 SFD 6/15 Food £87.92/£200 Travel £1.80/£15 Ent/diy £0/£15 Ext DS3 clothes
    No Debt No mortgage
    • indigowarrior
    • By indigowarrior 10th Aug 18, 2:16 PM
    • 671 Posts
    • 5,045 Thanks
    indigowarrior
    Today is NSD 3. Had a bit of low day but perked up now.
    #545- SPC September No Spend 4/15
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 10th Aug 18, 4:36 PM
    • 1,801 Posts
    • 15,336 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Yesterday was NSD 5 and today has been 6.

Tomorrow will not be as we need football boots for DS3 and his inconvenient foot growth spurt. Oh well, the old ones will do DS4 next.

Finished a book, started another.

Off to clean the kitchen.and put supper on.

Tropically - can you not get in touch with wherever you bought it and return for cash?

If not, I would think it would be snapped up on a Fakebook site with this weather and bbqs, and it is still wedding season. I mean, wedding surplus is a totally acceptable reason for having too much booze.

Either that or it is NST Christmas pary at Tropically's house
    MFW START DATE May 16 £118,340 : Oct17 - £109,495.00Dec17 £108,800Jan 18 £108,392.98 March 18 £108,504.72April £108,099May £106,999June 105,999.99July 105,300.00
    Aug £103,999.99
    Sep £102,999.99 October 101,999.99
    NEXT GOAL is sub £100k before 2019Mortgage-free wannabe 2018 #65
    • lcc86
    • By lcc86 10th Aug 18, 4:40 PM
    • 1,071 Posts
    • 3,771 Thanks
    lcc86
    @indigowarrior hope you're feeling OK.

Really frustrating day work wise so I'm glad it's Friday. It's getting to the point where I don't want to go in any more, so I know I need to do something about it and look for a new job. I've spent three months trying to fix the current situation with no joy, just promises that it'll be resolved "eventually". In the meantime I stagnate and become deskilled. I actually love being busy at work so this doesn't sit well with me at all.

Anyway enough ranting. Money spent on train fare today but I get to claim the cost back as a work expense. Glad it's the weekend. Vet tomorrow for my little bunny, he has a long term health condition but the cost is covered by the rescue centre I got him from, so it won't cost me anything. Really fancy spending the rest of the day in my pyjamas watching films Sunday I might pop to a local horse show in the morning followed by my own riding. A nice quiet weekend is just what the doctor ordered I think!
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5124473 - my original diary
    £725/£1000 EF £329 saved for household jobs
    Debt free and in the black for the first time in 11 years
    • swimminginaseaofdebt
    • By swimminginaseaofdebt 10th Aug 18, 9:11 PM
    • 815 Posts
    • 5,074 Thanks
    swimminginaseaofdebt
    Evening everyone,

Spent £8.50 at the supermarket today so budget is at £134.13/£350.

Sent £3.86 to at the EF, that’s £12.47 added to date.

Lost my patience with the little one today when he hit me on the head with my phone
    Last edited by swimminginaseaofdebt; 10-08-2018 at 9:21 PM.
    Debt 1 - £182.93/£2538
    SPC11 #564
    • Kerry Woman
    • By Kerry Woman 10th Aug 18, 9:56 PM
    • 2,493 Posts
    • 24,320 Thanks
    Kerry Woman
    Was a spend day. Did a small top up food shop, got tv mag, put more money onto my oyster card and treat my friend and I to a Chinese.
    Spent time with friend as she was trying to do the eulogy for her Dad's service.
    Last edited by Kerry Woman; 10-08-2018 at 10:00 PM.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2018
    Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
    NST Penny Pinching GoSober Stoptober NSD 16/20
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 10th Aug 18, 10:05 PM
    • 2,527 Posts
    • 26,399 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Hugs indigo.

Not a SFD in the end. Took an empty bag to my appointment so that I could go food shopping (still undecided on destination). Took a book back to the library but they had a new book which follows on from a series I started last week (1 - 4 read over the past few days). As I wouldn't leave that behind, I had 2 heavy books and over a litre of water so was rapidly going off the idea of shopping.

Appointment was okay except they have a new machine so 7 x-rays in all (1/2 boob at a time then sidewards and 1 repeat). As expected I was between bus times so read my book for a while. Bus journey quite entertaining as 2 of the trolley users nearly came to blows. Got off in the town centre, bought 2 pasties (reduced because it was cleaning up time and much cheaper than McD's) then went in heron for a few bits to see mw through the next few days.

Bought more than I intended as they had mum's favourite tea bags on offer so bought the 3 boxes on the shelf (need to adjust my signature as I've included this - added £25 and only £15 is mine). Will try to get through to the end of the weekend before doing a big shop (want to empty and clean the freezer - cheated last time).

Relaxing now but have a long list of tasks which I've remembered during the day (found 2 old lists when I was looking for the appointment letter).

Today I am grateful for the NHS and its screening programmmes, for being able to get what I needed from one shop and for being able to carry it all home (with many breaks).
    This year I will be fierce
    NST Oct #23 SFD 6/15 Food £87.92/£200 Travel £1.80/£15 Ent/diy £0/£15 Ext DS3 clothes
    No Debt No mortgage
    • sashanut
    • By sashanut 10th Aug 18, 11:09 PM
    • 2,956 Posts
    • 27,414 Thanks
    sashanut
    No 9 checking in
    Hi all

The flowers for August are the Gladioli and the Poppy which represents beauty, strength, love, marriage and family

Could have sworn I made another post the other day but can't find it so maybe not.. True to form visitors came & we were out every day. Sadly I was under the weather whilst they were here but we still went out every day, I was the only transport - so after I took them to the airport yesterday, have been recovering!! Predicted that there would be no NSDs and there weren't.. But today I achieved one..

Aim – for 15 NSD’s now 2/15

Update (Budgets) – no change

Get (prepared for Xmas) – Finished some knitting today. Need to make list for gifts for me when people ask I can never think of anything. May buy something for friend that she admired here but didn't buy, have her birthday & Christmas to think of.

Utilise (free activities in your area) - no activities today but gorgeous day & lots of free fresh air & admiring my neighbours in the next field (cows, not actual people). And the peace & quiet - no sirens..

Share (money saving tips) – Have a go at making/repairing something rather than pay someone else to do it if you can. Obviously some things are best done by skilled people - thinking of electricity here - but quite a few things you could have a go at. Info on everything is just a click away now, if you succeed you will feel great & if you don't get it right you can always get someone in later.

Treat (yourself) – I would like everyone to budget £3 for a luxury item, I think this will be some twinings, but will decide later

The challenge will run from 1st August 00:01 until 31st August 00:00.

Go turtles!!!!!!
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 . Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE
    • misstara
    • By misstara 11th Aug 18, 7:02 AM
    • 2,895 Posts
    • 20,447 Thanks
    misstara
    Spend day yesterday as I needed petrol and also got some food shopping.
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £518.98 (77.5% paid)
    Car debt Nov 2017 £797.68 Now £447.43 (43.9% paid) + monthly payments £146.82 10/60
    Emergency fund - £80/£1000. Car fund - £350/£1000.
    Mini Targets in Octoberr
    Exercise target - 5/16. Groceries target £165.97/£200. NSD target 10/15.
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 11th Aug 18, 8:10 AM
    • 7,795 Posts
    • 58,861 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Mothernerd - just noticed that your food budget for the month is £2000! Caviar and champers on a daily basis, then?!
    NST October Gobstopper #7; NSD 10/18; Ex /21 ; craft 23 (144); remove 6 (653)
    2018 Pay off: £4266; 2
    018 sell £49.10; WLOSW 3/10

Mortgage £18,885 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 11th Aug 18, 8:35 AM
    • 4,014 Posts
    • 34,294 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Morning all
    Not much to report here. Spent the afternoon working yesterday (I know I'm a teacher but I do stuff for the exam board as well) to get caught up with everything I needed to. So productive but not that interesting.
    Today's plans include catching up with bestie and planning our trip away next week. Other than that, a bit of washing, a bit of crochet and as much relaxing as I can manage without feeling too guilty.
    Have a good day all
    October Gobstopper #8 NSD = 12 1 debt vs 100 days £328.51/£1685
    DFD #1: 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • greent
    • By greent 11th Aug 18, 9:35 AM
    • 7,434 Posts
    • 75,368 Thanks
    greent
    Days 5 thru 10!! :)
    Days 6-10 were spent at Center Parcs, Woburn - great fun

Aim Still only on 1 NSD

Update (Budgets) done.

Get (prepared for Xmas) Have written list of bdays between now and end of Jan and Xmas list. Will fill in with what Ive got and start to work on gaps. I still need to finalise my list and come up with more ideas of what I'd like from people (eg: my mum) (So far ideas for me include 2 new bread tins (found the exact ones I want), Sanctuareeee smellies and a bottle of perfume to replace the one I'm running low on)

Utilise (free activities in your area) - made the most of the swimming at CP - were there min 5/ hrs day! Only activities we paid for there were bowling for all 6 of us (pretty much the same price as local bowling) and crossbow shooting for DS1 & DS2 (they loved it -well worth it)

Share (money saving tips)

Treat (yourself) still need to book my eyebrows

So far today is about washing - 2 loads on line (done last night but didn't want to hang out overnight) and another in the machine. At least 1 more to go after that - am hoping it stays dry!! Will start the ironing tonight in front of Casualtee Also have dough proving for a white loaf. Haven't enough yeast to also make a brown so will likely do that tomorrow. Need to go food shopping today and we are meant to be going to a 2yo bday bbq later, but 3 of us (not me) have come home with snuffles, so will see how they are feeling (it's a 50 min drive away, so not like it's super easy to pop back) OH and I are meant to be wallpapering for a friend tomorrow but I bashed my shoulder quite hard on the rapids one time in the week and it's stiff and bruised, so not sure it can cope with that yet - will see what it feels like in the morning - I want to make sure we do a good job, so would rather leave it if shoulder is too sore for paper hanging (I do it in the main, OH is my go-fer )

Happy Saturday! xx
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2018 OPs (#18) £6484.71/£7500
    Net sales 2018 £713.44/£1000 PAYDOX18 (#15) Done £18918.90
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 11th Aug 18, 10:03 AM
    • 1,630 Posts
    • 15,531 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Morning Everyone

Work on - Phoned my cousin yesterday and had a long, long chat with her. We'll go for lunch when the doctors say she can start eating normally again

NSD - 8/15. Bought some kitchen tongs for the Boy

Update (Budgets) - After Virgin reducing the cost of my package because I complained about the channels being removed they've come to an agreement with BBC and I've got them back. But i'm £25.00 a month better off.

Get (prepared for Xmas) -Nothing today.

Utilise (free activities in your area) - Went for lunch with himself using a voucher he got for his birthday. Not exactly free but very cheap.

Share (money saving tips) - Can't think of anything else at the moment.

Treat (yourself) -That's for later this month but my nails is are growing a bit so quite soon now.

Having a coffee and then off to the shops. We don't have any veg left at all. That's a first in our house.

Have a good day.
    • indigowarrior
    • By indigowarrior 11th Aug 18, 11:23 AM
    • 671 Posts
    • 5,045 Thanks
    indigowarrior
    Thanks everyone for the kind thoughts. Today is NSD 4! I should have a streak of no spends until 21st. Down to my last £16 for the month. Look forward to budget reset.
    #545- SPC September No Spend 4/15
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

123Posts Today

1,699Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @GillsSarah: Interesting! I always used to buy big name products cos I thought they?d be stronger. @MartinSLewis has changed my mind on?

• RT @think_jessica: Think Jessica the Film 30 min doc/drama based on my mother?s true story. Narrated by @MartinSLewis is now live on https:?

• RT @kelsher123: @MartinSLewis First time switcher! And no, it wasn?t as challenging as I thought???? A British Gas customer so no brainier. Th?

• Follow Martin