Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • EarlyRetirement
    • By EarlyRetirement 30th Jul 18, 6:41 PM
    • 47Posts
    • 230Thanks
    EarlyRetirement
    My Journey To Early Retirement
    • 30th Jul 18, 6:41 PM
    My Journey To Early Retirement 30th Jul 18 at 6:41 PM
    Today has been the day I woke up and decided I can not carry on the way I am. I have debt of 22.500 plus my mortgage which is about 60,000. I want to retire by the time in 55, I will be 50 in September. I want to retire debt free and mortgage free.

I have been in debt all of my adult life, so it is time to take control of my life and my finances as i enter the next stage of my life. I going to look at my debt one at a time. So the first one to be tackled is Barclaycard which stands at 2303.00, if I can pay this back be the end of the year I will be so pleased and it will be a massive boost to go into the New Year.So big changes to make and money saving to be done.

Let the journey begin!
Page 2
    • EarlyRetirement
    • By EarlyRetirement 3rd Aug 18, 6:16 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 230 Thanks
    EarlyRetirement
    Be carefull what you wish for!

I am in a fortunate position of being 56 years old and I and financially able to retire. It all looks good. Admittedly I will not be having weekly cruises and doing world tours of five star hotels, but will not be starving either.

I work for a big organisation for decades, and know a few members of staff. It is amazing to see people come back from retirement and restart work, or try to come back (some departments may not let you).

The notion of no more work initially sounds like bliss, but after 5 weeks, many end it sitting at home doing nothing, the children are off dong their own thing, and you could end up waiting to do nothing, and makes many come back.

As my friend emphasised (ex-pensions manager), before you retire, make sure you have an all encompassing hobby. Also he said he has less spare time now that he did when he worked. He is one of the extremely lucky ones. The other person that left she just goes on cruses - about 6 a year, but her life is empty and meaningless now. They both have very good private pensions of about 40k and other investments. Their partner have pensions too which is outside this figure. It is not all about money, but it does help, and it gives one choices. You still have to pay tax on that pension too

Hope your business works.
    Originally posted by that
    I think I will be one of the busy ones and there wont be enough hours in the day.
    Barclaycard - 2251.49/21.72
    • EarlyRetirement
    • By EarlyRetirement 3rd Aug 18, 6:24 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 230 Thanks
    EarlyRetirement
    Today has been a NSD.

Later finishing work today, so will be looking to take the time back next week. Nice few eBay sales today, will try and list some more items later.

Change of plan for dinner this evening, Mr ER has been in the greenhouse and the amount of tomatoes we have is incredible. So we will be having grilled bacon and grilled tomatoes later.

Put a wash on when I came home and the washing machine is not soundling too good, job for Mr ER tomorrow, hope it is fixable.

So pleaseed its the weekend, my batteries really need charging.
    • EarlyRetirement
    • By EarlyRetirement 4th Aug 18, 4:58 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 230 Thanks
    EarlyRetirement
    Been a busy day, up early and Mr ER fixed the washing machine and it no longer sounds as if it's about to take off. We also took apart our corner suite and clean behind and underneath, I can not believe how much dirt was there , Its now on the calendar to take apart and clean at the beginning of October.

Paid 0.14p to Barclaycard, credit interest from one of my bank accounts. Every little helps.

Today has been a spend day, 20.00 on petrol, grocery shopping cost 35.00 we went armed with a list and a meal plan, we will have to buy a loaf of bread in the week. Also spend 4.00 on stock for my business, picked up some nice bits that will sell well at Christmas. Beginning of September I will start listing my Christmas stock.

This afternoon I have loaded my car ready for the car boot in the morning. Sat in the sun for a while, had to come back in as I found it too hot, so sat in the coolest of my rooms and caught up with this weeks soaps.
    Last edited by EarlyRetirement; 04-08-2018 at 6:23 PM.
    • EarlyRetirement
    • By EarlyRetirement 5th Aug 18, 3:55 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 230 Thanks
    EarlyRetirement
    Today has been a NSD.

Made 48.00 at the car boot, 7.00 of that went to pay for the pitch, so there is 41.00 towards our holiday spending next month.

Paid another 4.00 to Barclaycard thanks to a mystery shopping app I down loaded yesterday. They ask you to do missions, I completed one yesterday that I did not think would be approved and it was, they paid me 3.00 put a 1.00 from a referral code I used. So I am well pleased.

This afternoon I have sorted of the shed and found more for next weeks car boot and make cake for Mr ER as we did not buy any yesterday when we did our shopping.
    • pidge04
    • By pidge04 5th Aug 18, 5:20 PM
    • 275 Posts
    • 483 Thanks
    pidge04
    Great focus here! Hoping you are feeling positive and determined.
    CC1 2400/599 CC2 3000/2299 CC3 600/448 LOAN 13,000/5462
    • EarlyRetirement
    • By EarlyRetirement 5th Aug 18, 5:38 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 230 Thanks
    EarlyRetirement
    Great focus here! Hoping you are feeling positive and determined.
    Originally posted by pidge04
    pidge04 I am feeling very positive and determined. Just sitting down to list a few items I photographed earlier.
    • raldo
    • By raldo 5th Aug 18, 10:17 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    raldo
    Just read your diary you sound very focused well done... could be doing with MrER to fix my washing machine lol

Selling stuff is so addictive I used to make loads on eBay I think I may need to look into starting that up again and I love car boot sales

Look forward to reading your next update xx
    Total Debts Outstanding @ 14.07.18 35451
    • EarlyRetirement
    • By EarlyRetirement 6th Aug 18, 5:04 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 230 Thanks
    EarlyRetirement
    Just read your diary you sound very focused well done... could be doing with MrER to fix my washing machine lol

Selling stuff is so addictive I used to make loads on eBay I think I may need to look into starting that up again and I love car boot sales

Look forward to reading your next update xx
    Originally posted by raldo
    You should start ebaying again,maybe look into starting a business.
    • EarlyRetirement
    • By EarlyRetirement 6th Aug 18, 5:10 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 230 Thanks
    EarlyRetirement
    Another payment made to Barclaycard 5.01 that was in my Quidco account, found it when I bought travel insurance.

Been on a course with work today, paid 5.00 to park my car which I will claim back on Wednesday also on the course tomorrow. Took my own lunch and a piece of cake to have with a cup of tea at breaktime. Will be an early night for me as they want to start early in the morning to have an early finish.

Mr ER has had a day off today and made a start stripping paint of the banister in the hall, it will look lovely when its done, going to be a slow job thou and dusty.
    • EarlyRetirement
    • By EarlyRetirement 7th Aug 18, 5:39 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 230 Thanks
    EarlyRetirement
    Another 5.00 to claim back tomorrow for parking due to my work course. Home slightly earlier this afternoon, even though we had an early start. Took lunch and cake as a snack, so no spend there for me today.

Telephone call from my DS on the way home, his is on holiday in Greece and is due home tonight however his flight has been cancelled so is hoping to fly home tomorrow, he is not the most patient at waiting, there will be put in a hotel for the night.

I have packed some parcels that sold over night and today,will take to the parcel shop on my way to work in the morning.

Just missed out on a mystery shop in town that would have earned 8.00, need to check my app more often. Also just completed 2 surveys with Populuslive for 4.00, forgot I had registered with them as I have had nothing off them for a while, so just logged in to my acoount and I have 20 points with the surveys I completed today. Will be looking out for more surveys another 30 points to a pay out.

Dinner this evening is soup and bread rolls from the freezer, Menu plan is working well.
    • EarlyRetirement
    • By EarlyRetirement 8th Aug 18, 6:14 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 230 Thanks
    EarlyRetirement
    Very busy day in work today, catching up on the last four days I have not been in and I had my tutor in today until 2pm for a management course I am doing through work. Got a lot of work signed off so I am happy.

Today was a NSD.

Posted all my parcels on the way to work, wanted to call into the Credit Union to bank my car boot money but did not get time, will do this tomorrow.

I have promised some veg to a work colleague tomorrow so I need to go and pick some from the greenhouse.
    • EarlyRetirement
    • By EarlyRetirement 8th Aug 18, 6:16 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 230 Thanks
    EarlyRetirement
    Also completed another Populuslive survey for 3.00,getting there slowly.
    • EarlyRetirement
    • By EarlyRetirement 9th Aug 18, 5:44 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 230 Thanks
    EarlyRetirement
    Another NSD here today.

Fridge is looking very empty which I am pleased about, we have been using up what is in there and not thrown anything away. Tomorrow I will write a new meal plan for next week and a shopping list for Saturday.

Need to go into the loft and sort out my eBay stock and see what can go to the car boot and what I have to list for Christmas, there will be stuff up there I have forgotten I have bought. Really want to pay off a chunk of the credit card with the money in my PayPal account however I am waiting as I have applied for a new job and if I am lucky enough to get it I want an emergency fund to ensure my bills are covered. Will have to make small payments here and there.
    • EarlyRetirement
    • By EarlyRetirement 12th Aug 18, 12:08 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 230 Thanks
    EarlyRetirement
    No car boot for me today, got soaking wet yesterday while shopping, did not want to load up the car in the rain and get wet again. Slept until gone 9am this morning and that's not like me, so I must have needed the sleep.

6.34 paid to Barclaycard today.

Few overnight eBay sales to pack later. Taken a lot of photos this morning and need to start listing the items later. Decided I am not buying anymore stock until I have cleared a lot of my unlisted stock. Need to have a good sort out and see what can go to the car boot.
    • EarlyRetirement
    • By EarlyRetirement 12th Aug 18, 5:02 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 230 Thanks
    EarlyRetirement
    Daughter and Grandchildren have been for lunch and left about half hour ago. Kitchen is clean and dishes washed and put away. Going to sit and list 5 items on ebay. Parcels have been packet ready to post tomorrow.

I have also been in the loft and fetch down a bag full of toys that need cleaning and testing and these can be listed in the week. I have aloso set myself a challenged to find 10 things from the house to go to the carboot next week that are not from my ebay stock!

I have also made myself a spread sheet showing all the debt repayments for the month. I am hoping this will keep me motivate to making small payments when I can and watch the debt reduce,
    • EarlyRetirement
    • By EarlyRetirement 13th Aug 18, 7:31 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 230 Thanks
    EarlyRetirement
    Babysitting duties after work today, so not long in, Mr ER had run me a bath and cooked dinner.

Setteling down to do a couple of surveys and a little ebay listing.

Today was also a NSD.
    • EarlyRetirement
    • By EarlyRetirement 14th Aug 18, 7:30 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 230 Thanks
    EarlyRetirement
    Had a dentist appointment this afternoon, I dislike the dentist so much, my anxiety levels rise sky high. Paid 14.00 for my check up which I had budgeted for. I have a clicking jaw which the dentist said could be down to stress. Work have been very stressful over the last month.

1.01 paid to Barclaycard.

Found my 10 items for the carboot on Sunday, will have a look for a few more on Saturday.

Planning on an early night, going to take a few painkiller as I have a really bad headache.

Busy in work today
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 14th Aug 18, 7:42 PM
    • 6,864 Posts
    • 14,714 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Sounds like early retirement would be a good move for you given your work is stressful.

In the run up to early retirement we aimed to cut outgoings as well as save. If you think your OH can cover all your outgoings just on his salary does that mean yours is free to repay debt/mortgage?
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

84Posts Today

1,782Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin