Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 30th Jul 18, 8:17 AM
    • 1,869Posts
    • 14,562Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    What small DFW things will you do w/c 30th July?
    • 30th Jul 18, 8:17 AM
    What small DFW things will you do w/c 30th July? 30th Jul 18 at 8:17 AM
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important!
    Last edited by carrielovesfanta; 31-07-2018 at 8:14 AM.
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31

SAVINGS: £10,000!
Page 4
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 5th Aug 18, 9:26 AM
    • 706 Posts
    • 5,473 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Morning everybody

Just catching up on the thread. Had to work last night so by the time I got back in I just crashed.

Got a lot more done yesterday than I planned. Slowly getting my energy levels back so plan to do a bit more today and keep the momentum going
    Have been trying to package up charity items without much success. One box has collapsed on me, worked out the prices of breaking items down and sending in smaller boxes thru RM and whether there would be a price difference compared to sending a big box (not that I can get a decent one) by Herm@s for example-no price difference so thinking I might pop to our local Tesc@s today, take some recycling and look for some smaller but decent boxes.

Item is doing well on eBay so hope to pop another one on today.
    Going to pack a bit more of the living room away. Looks like another lovely day outside so anything that needs washing is going in the wash.
    I will mop the kitchen floor. Gave it a good clean yesterday but didn't have chance to mop before work so will do today-will be the highlight of my day......i love a clean floor!!!!

I know, I know. Picked up a cushion really cheap (down from £4 to a £1) in the card fact@ry sale for DD for Christmas, will get this wrapped and stored away tonight. I know it's very early but if I don't do it thru the year I go into meltdown in December. I hate packing and wrapping and the thought of doing it all in one hit I can't face but throughout the year, means I can enjoy November and December.

Right off to grab the day.......after another cuppa!!
    2017 birthday savings shopping frugally = 481.15:money. 2018 birthday savings so far=360.66
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 5th Aug 18, 10:18 AM
    • 7,073 Posts
    • 41,757 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Morning not long back from the lottie - exercise done for the day - an hour of harvesting (lots of squats!), digging and watering/pumping/watering with weight! And rewarded with courgettes, beans, cucumbers, spinach, beetroot & strawberries & raspberries

Really need to go through the fridge! We are getting veg on a daily basis and if we're not careful things will start perishing!

freeze some spinach and beans

get bags ready for the next few days - I'm working Monday & Tuesday and madam is off to the outlaws

Get lunches/dinners ready for next couple of days

going to a free music event later on

Ok that's all happy days guys
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling 2017 £3016.55/Roadkill £8.73
    Wombling 2018 £145.73/RK £0.04
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 5th Aug 18, 11:14 AM
    • 4,413 Posts
    • 28,615 Thanks
    allydowd
    Hi August-Austerees,

Weeeeeekend! Had another relatively good week at work! <Faints with shock, again.>

Just literally awoke from a crazily real nightmare. Hugs to anyone who needs them, especially dear Foxgloves. I haven't read all your posts as I'm trying to spend more time in real world and less online, but I'm thinking of you all.

Debt-Free-Nillionaire Continuity Plan Year Four:

THINGS I WILL DO:

* Check online banking. Done.

* Check loyalty points. Done.

* Take medication. Done.

* Turn alarm clock off at the wall til tonight. Done.

* Get some exercise. I'm running 3.2km under DW's supervision/coaching. Then we're walking to the pool for a sauna and swim and walking home again. I'm pressing on with my run 25 miles in August challenge through RaceAtYourPace. (Link) There's a charge for this, but you could always set yourself a challenge independently if you felt like it. DW gets a discount at the pool from a pre-bought card scheme; we need to get value out of this. Done and a shower at the pool.

* Backed up Finances spreadsheet to cyberspace. Done.

* Pay Council Tax online. Done.

* Study quarterly gas bill. Price of gas has gone up but we still have some saved up for next quarter.

* Make a Poverty Shrubbery Soup for two of my lunches next week from left over shrubbery in the freezer, some rice, garlic and chilli. The frozen, leftover pak choic, cos lettuce, onion and spinach can all go in there. Costs about 25p per bowl. Done.

* Make a homemade smoothie. Done.

* Contact a seller. Ordered a CD 3 weeks ago and still waiting. Done.

* Turn off Wifi router when we are out. Done.

Things don't have to be perfect to be wonderful.
    Last edited by allydowd; 05-08-2018 at 6:19 PM.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015
    The Joy Account: £10
    Bold 100 Miles Bicycle Bonanza Challenge: Completed
    Run 25 Miles for Sanity Challenge: Completed
    "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 5th Aug 18, 11:53 AM
    • 4,413 Posts
    • 28,615 Thanks
    allydowd
    Madam is off to the outlaws
    Originally posted by determined new ms

Pahahahaha.
    "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 5th Aug 18, 12:32 PM
    • 5,358 Posts
    • 42,370 Thanks
    DawnW
    Afternoon all

Apricity, ouch, that sounds a sore finger

HK, supermarket wine boxes are brilliant for posting things, and if you get the ones that are 16cm or less deep, they count as small parcels, £2.95 second class

Been car booting and managed to find several bits to sell on Also bought some nice greetings cards for £1 (for 3) and some geraniums to brighten up the front garden, again, £1 for 3

Did business paperwork
    Listed a Monsoon top I washed and ironed yesterday on ebay. I really like this one, but it is too big and I can't wear it, so it can go. Also listed a book that I didn't want but came with 2 others that I did want - with a bit of luck it wil sell and pay for all 3

Went shopping, used a £7.50 off a £50 shop Mr S voucher. I struggle to spend £50 usually, so these don't often get used. However, it is my week to donate to the food bank (I always buy about £5 of whatever they are asking for at the beginning of each month ) and I decided to stock up a bit as well. Noticed that there was no ordinary granulated sugar on the shelves, which was a bit worrying - I had to buy a packet of Billingtons (which is really expensive ) as I had run out We don't use much, neither of us has sugar in drinks and I always cut the amount in recipes, but I do like to have some, and the jar was empty. Anyway, all done and put away now!

My brother is coming round later and is supposed to be bringing a cooked chicken with him - I shall be checking if it is ok as he isn't much of a cook but didn't put him off wanting to contribute as this is a very recent thing!

Apart from that, FB buyers have assured me that they will be turning up today (as they didn't yesterday )
    Will need to do some watering later
    OH has picked a washing up bowlful of spinach, so I will need to do something with that

Hope everyone is having a good day. It is really hot again here, and no rain forecast for the foreseeable future. Getting a bit worrying now!

• foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 5th Aug 18, 2:46 PM
    • 4,469 Posts
    • 23,995 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Dawn - I think I might know about the 'sugar situation' at the supermarket you mentioned. Last weekend, mr f called in at a big branch near his work to get me some ordinary white granulated sugar for my busy jam making season. When he got there, they had every other type of fancypants sugar, but just empty shelves where the white granulated should be. All that was left was 2 x 5kg bags, so he picked those up & took them to the till. When the assistant scanned them, she said it came up as a forbidden item!! She said 'I'm not allowed to sell you these' & called a supervisor who confirmed to mr f that he was not able to buy them. He asked why & the answer was that the shop had received an email that morning saying all the sugar had to come off the shelves. Sorry....it's turning into a saga, isn't it? There'll be leather clad, flaxen-tressed Vikings rushing on stage left in a minute (oh no, hang on, I think that's just one of my fantasies). Meanwhile, I emailed the store's HQ to complain that we had been unable to procure a very basic item from them & had not received a satifactory explanation as to why. Customer Services phoned me to say that it was a product recall as there had apparently been reports of metal pieces in the sugar. She was very apologetic & said the staff should really have said it was a recall, as customers know these are occasionally necessary. But Mozzers had plenty, so my redcurrant jelly got made & my preserving stores topped up.
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = £470-01
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £304 2018 = £403
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 5th Aug 18, 4:12 PM
    • 706 Posts
    • 5,473 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Have been on a massive declutter of the crafts. Hasn't made a dent in my main craft stuff but at least the stuff I have left is stuff I will use and I have more than enough craft stuff to keep me going (sticking to a promise I made myself last year.....no more craft stuff).........just need a living room now!!!!

DawnW I don't know whether it is where I live.......in a big seasonal tourist area but boxes seem mission impossible at the minute. Went to Tesc@s to see if I could pick up anything like a wine box but all boxes put out were snaffled earlier in the day. The same at the Tesc@s I called at last night.
    DD is bringing a couple home with her which I am relieved about as there is so much clutter in the kitchen at the minute that needs sending. But did pick up some reduced items with 75% off so at this rate I will have enough meals for me and the starving student for at least 2 weeks out of the freezer alone. Really need to run it down, not an inch of space to be had.

Right off onto the next job, haven't been this productive in awhile. Want to get more washing out to make the most of the lovely weather.

Have a good afternoon/evening everyone x
    2017 birthday savings shopping frugally = 481.15:money. 2018 birthday savings so far=360.66
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 5th Aug 18, 6:15 PM
    • 4,413 Posts
    • 28,615 Thanks
    allydowd
    Sugar-gate (Link)
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 5th Aug 18, 9:15 PM
    • 5,358 Posts
    • 42,370 Thanks
    DawnW
    Thanks Foxgloves and Ally, you are considerably better informed than the supermarket staff, as neither of those I asked knew why the shelves were empty - surely the management could either have put up a notice or informed staff in case of customer enquiries (and there were several people asking, not just me)

Edit - just read Ally's link in full, and supermarkets were supposed to be advising customers, including those who may have bought sugar from the affected batches and need to return it. This certainly hadn't happened here yet.
    Last edited by DawnW; 05-08-2018 at 9:18 PM.

• dizzyblnd
    • By dizzyblnd 5th Aug 18, 9:56 PM
    • 413 Posts
    • 3,719 Thanks
    dizzyblnd
    Determined that made me think of a joke. What!!!8217;s the difference between in laws and out laws?

Outlaws are wanted ha ha ha.
    NST2018 mortgage-free wannabe #145
    • dearbarbie
    • By dearbarbie 7th Aug 18, 12:11 PM
    • 537 Posts
    • 828 Thanks
    dearbarbie
    I'm new to the board!

this is going to sound like I'm a ridiculous human being but I live in a city centre (can't drive so no car ownership and isn't much less expensive to live out of town where I'd pay for buses/trains) where all we have is £££Tesco Expresses and and M&S. I located my nearest Aldi and a good food shop (including meat and fish, I live alone and have been almost vegetarian because I refuse to eat watery chicken) cost me £17 including packed lunches...I could afford the £3 Uber home because frozen food rather than an hour's walk and still saved money! Now a complete Aldi convert.

put some things in a pile to put on eBay this evening!
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 7th Aug 18, 12:46 PM
    • 706 Posts
    • 5,473 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Welcome dearbarbie u live near a M&S? I would be round there all of the time YS time! Unfortunately my nearest is in the next town. Have picked up some amazing bargains in the past
    Back to thread, it's a great thread, it keeps me on the straight and narrow and makes me think before I buy. Feel much more in control

Just the usual this morning
    Banking all checked everything good
    Cat cleaning all done
    Went to the post office to post 2 parcels. Feeling much happier as there was clutter everywhere in the kitchen which I hated
    Popped to get cat litter-paid by cash
    Food from stores and freezer
    Plans for today include updating spends book and some paperwork. Also run the vacuum over later.

Going to pop to friends early evening so they can just take a look at the scratches on the car and I also need to return some bits back to them

Think that's about it from me
    Have a great day everyone x
    • ziggy2407
    • By ziggy2407 7th Aug 18, 5:23 PM
    • 3,303 Posts
    • 26,937 Thanks
    ziggy2407
    This thread is now closed, please join us at our new thread

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5878194
    Make £5 per day Jan - June 18: £818.96/£905.00 Make £5 per day July 18: £24.63/£155 Make £5 per day Aug: £122.68/£155 Make £5 per day Sept: £442.99/£150 Make £5 per day Oct: £87.12/£155 Make £5 per day Nov: £32.55/£150 Make £5 per day Dec: £27.50/£155
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

242Posts Today

1,373Users online

Martin's Twitter