Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Icarus01
    • By Icarus01 30th Jul 18, 8:03 AM
    • 45Posts
    • 33Thanks
    Icarus01
    No internet access at rental
    • 30th Jul 18, 8:03 AM
    No internet access at rental 30th Jul 18 at 8:03 AM
    When renting my current property I asked my LA several times if it had a working bt line and if it was possible to get phone/internet (as there are 2 Ethernet sockets in my property) and i was told yes each time
    I had BT come out on Friday and it turns out the BT lines are actually just an extension of my neighbours/landlords line, and the engineer said he would need access to their property to activate it. They are refusing to let anyone even when i offered to arrange it at the best time for them. The landlord then said they never told the LA it came with phone/internet capabilities.

Where can I go from here? I agreed tenancy on the basis I could get phone/internet set up but now it seems I can't.
Page 2
    • AlexMac
    • By AlexMac 3rd Aug 18, 2:05 PM
    • 2,210 Posts
    • 1,939 Thanks
    AlexMac
    I know of several examples of neighbours sharing a single broadband router - between floors with the upstairs flat, or next door in a semi or a conversion if the internal walls are stud partitions, blockwork or even brick.

Works well in Victorian or early/mid 20th Century converted properties, but probably not in modern stuctures with steel beams or concrete slabs with metal reinforcing rods (Faraday cage, Doh!).

So maybe, as an interim solution, check which is the strongest wifi, ask around then go in with tea and cake, or even offer to split their costs?

I do this in a holiday flat where we don't have our own line, and my neighbour's TalkTalk wifi is stronger than my home BT routers', even through the wall! In a previous flat the wifi penetrated the suspended floorboards and plasterboard ceilings perfectly...
    • Icarus01
    • By Icarus01 6th Aug 18, 9:05 AM
    • 45 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    Icarus01
    It took 5 different engineers to come out and sort it. The BT rep I spoke to on the phone said he'd never heard of a case where a BT Line ran through the wall of one house to another and it not be shared, yet my landlord assured me the previous tenant had his own connection.

So the first Openreach Engineer was the one who told me it needed access from my landlord, this was the only check he did.

The second Engineer never showed up.. claims he knocked, but i'm in a gated area with instructions to ring me when outside.

Engineer the third plugged his tester into the phone line and said it was all working, and he would be back in 5 minutes to check something at the box outside.. never saw him again.

Engineer 4.0.. after speaking to the son of my landlord, he agreed that if the Engineer really did need access to check the cabling into his property then he would allow it. Openreach were meant to arrive between 1 and 6, but turned up at 10:30 when I was at work. Now this is where it gets pretty funny. The LL's son told me the Openreach Engineer had set up the line from my house, gone into his house and connected everything up properly and then tested everything, and that he'd shown the son it was all working with his machine. This would be impossible as i've changed the locks on my door!

Engineer 5 came out on Saturday and was the team leader(?) for a couple of the guys who had already come out. He was incredibly helpful and even rung engineer no.4 and he confirmed that he was denied access by my landlord, and apologized for arriving early. As it turns out the phone line doesn't run into my neighbours house. It's a feed for the outdoor lights for which the switch is directly opposite the master socket in my property. My line went down and left the long way round the outside of my property, and the connection was broken at their underground junction box thing about 2km away. There is one 50m from my property which he connected me to and now my internet is working brilliantly. He was there for nearly 5 hours.

I'm glad it's finally sorted
    • HampshireH
    • By HampshireH 6th Aug 18, 9:20 AM
    • 1,142 Posts
    • 1,361 Thanks
    HampshireH
    What a hassle! Glad its all sorted.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

395Posts Today

2,404Users online

Martin's Twitter