Vanquis Card Unfair Treatment

When I applied for a Vanquis card they phoned me and offered a £1500 credit limit with 0% on a balance transfer for the first 12 months.

I accepted the offer and they took the details of the card being balance transferred to Vanquis. Yesterday I got my new card in the post and it said my credit limit was £NaN. I also received a letter saying that my balance transfer could not be completed because I don't have enough credit.

I haven't even spent on the card and they are messing me around. My balance on the old card has not moved either. I am worried sick about this because I planned my finances around the offer I was guaranteed when I chose to open the account on the phone. I don't even know what £NaN means and I fear they have messed my account up or gone back on their original commitment.

Has anyone been through this before and know what to do next? I would like to speak to them on the phone but yesterday they said the department responsible is closed and I tried again today and the whole customer support team are closed. If anyone here has any idea what is going on please help me!

Comments

• worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Defo call and ask them on Monday when they open. They will be able to explain what has happened or gone wrong. Nothing you can do till then.
  • LuSiVe
    LuSiVe Posts: 1,059
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    NaN means not a number.

Prob some computer chucked a wobbly somewhere...
  • Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,289
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    HeraldAle wrote: »
    When I applied for a Vanquis card they phoned me and offered a £1500 credit limit with 0% on a balance transfer for the first 12 months.

I accepted the offer and they took the details of the card being balance transferred to Vanquis. Yesterday I got my new card in the post and it said my credit limit was £NaN. I also received a letter saying that my balance transfer could not be completed because I don't have enough credit.

I haven't even spent on the card and they are messing me around. My balance on the old card has not moved either. I am worried sick about this because I planned my finances around the offer I was guaranteed when I chose to open the account on the phone. I don't even know what £NaN means and I fear they have messed my account up or gone back on their original commitment.

Has anyone been through this before and know what to do next? I would like to speak to them on the phone but yesterday they said the department responsible is closed and I tried again today and the whole customer support team are closed. If anyone here has any idea what is going on please help me!
    What does it say your credit limit is when you logon to your online account? You should have received your logon details (username) by email before the actual card. Follow the instructions within that email to activate your online account so you can check your limit.
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • HeraldAle
    HeraldAle Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 29 July 2018 at 3:55PM
    What does it say your credit limit is when you logon to your online account? You should have received your logon details (username) by email before the actual card. Follow the instructions within that email to activate your online account so you can check your limit.

Thanks I didn't think to check that. I registered and logged on but the credit limit is still £NaN and balance is £0.00.

Just tried to make a transaction on eBay for £0.99 and it declined.
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I realize you made plans but I'd really encourage you to take advantage of the cooling off period and cancel the card. Vanquish are not nice to deal with at all. One little mistake and the charges are crazy.
  • TheShape
    TheShape Posts: 1,777
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    HeraldAle wrote: »
    Thanks I didn't think to check that. I registered and logged on but the credit limit is still £NaN and balance is £0.00.

Just tried to make a transaction on eBay for £0.99 and it declined.

Call them. Don't attempt to make any transactions on the card, you almost certainly don't want to be mixing a balance transfer with card purchases so don't risk doing that again.
  • Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,289
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    I realize you made plans but I'd really encourage you to take advantage of the cooling off period and cancel the card. Vanquish are not nice to deal with at all. One little mistake and the charges are crazy.
    I had a Vanquis card about 10-12 years ago and I had no problems with them until I defaulted...Any pain I felt for the next six years was self-inflicted...The Vanquis experience was no more painful than all the other creditors I defaulted at the same time...
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    LuSiVe wrote: »
    NaN means not a number.

Prob some computer chucked a wobbly somewhere...
    Probably user error then, and the operator entering the details has pressed a key other than a numeric, either put the £ symbol in when not needed or finger slipped and pressed o instead of 0

OP phone Vanquis and get it corrected/looked into. If they can correct the limit and still honour the balance transfer it should be okay. I'm not sure I would say cancel, since you already have the hard search so could impact the application for a replacement card.

You could make it an official complaint if you were relying on the BT, and maybe a bit of compensation to cover extra interest and stress.
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,458
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    NaN a term often used in computing and means Not a Number.

I'd guess that either your account hasn't been set up correctly or Vanquis closed it during the set up process.

Call them tomorrow and see what they say: https://www.vanquis.co.uk/contact-us.
  • HeraldAle
    HeraldAle Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 30 July 2018 at 8:08PM
    I got connected to the right department at Vanquis. They couldn't apologize enough. The manager spoke to me personally. He said might be a bit tricky because normally the system doesnt let them increase peoples credit limits manually as its all automated by credit scoring etc. After speaking to someone else the manager was able to use exceptional resources to instantly increase my limit from 0.00 to 1500.00 when I checked the app and processed the balance transfer but takes 72 hours to show properly. As a gesture of goodwill they credited £25 which will go towards the balance transfer. A good result all round!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure