Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ImaginaryBallroom
    • By ImaginaryBallroom 29th Jul 18, 2:13 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 3Thanks
    ImaginaryBallroom
    Why do employees use a different entrance?
    • 29th Jul 18, 2:13 PM
    Why do employees use a different entrance? 29th Jul 18 at 2:13 PM
    I work in a three star hotel, and recently a new general manager has started working there. Heís trodden on a few toes to say the least - heís made a lot of changes and implemented new rules without explaining his reasoning. His most recent new rule is that employees must use the back entrance of the hotel when they come to work.

Does anyone know why this would be? The hotel is by no means a luxury establishment. Our clientele is mostly young couples and families, and the place has a very informal, friendly vibe. The staff just look like smartly-dressed guests when they come in the front door, so I donít understand why we canít continue to do this.

I asked one of my colleagues about it, however, that was probably a mistake as she is an extremely big suck-up. Sheís worked there for 15 years and was best friends with the very first general manager, and seems to think that because of this she will automatically become friends with all the following managers. She said she knows the reason why but she canít tell me, like she had been trusted with some highly classified government secret. The new manager fails to offer reasoning or rationale for any of his changes. I would be more willing to accept them if I knew why they were being implemented.

So, why do employees have to use a different entrance to customers/clients? And how have you dealt with new managers who have re-written the rule book?
Page 3
    • Doshwaster
    • By Doshwaster 2nd Aug 18, 4:41 PM
    • 4,926 Posts
    • 4,020 Thanks
    Doshwaster
    This is one of the funniest threads ever on MSE. If being told to use a specific door was the worst thing about my job then I would be very happy.
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 2nd Aug 18, 8:14 PM
    • 4,489 Posts
    • 5,027 Thanks
    robatwork
    It could of course be an Imaginary Door, into an Imaginary Ballroom
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 9th Aug 18, 10:11 AM
    • 19,547 Posts
    • 45,273 Thanks
    peachyprice
    So, why do employees have to use a different entrance to customers/clients? And how have you dealt with new managers who have re-written the rule book?
    Originally posted by ImaginaryBallroom
    Most likely so that they can do security checks on staff away from the main entrance, same as in retail. They wouldn't want their guests seeing staff bags being searched for towels/toiletries/cutlery/stationery and the subsequent hullabaloo should any be found.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 9th Aug 18, 2:23 PM
    • 19,220 Posts
    • 19,729 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    If it makes you happier to have reasons, here's another reason.

I mystery shop high end hotels. If I saw the doorman NOT opening the door, offering an umbrella etc. to an arrival, I would mark him down. Are you expecting a doorman to do this for fellow employees, or to risk a penalty report from your mystery shopper?
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    https://www.gofundme.com/running-the-leeds-10k-for-macmillan
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

318Posts Today

4,124Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin