Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • tristanjourney
    • By tristanjourney 29th Jul 18, 1:20 AM
    • 40Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Side extension no building regulation completion certificate - Will resell be a problem?
    • #1
    • 29th Jul 18, 1:20 AM
    Side extension no building regulation completion certificate - Will resell be a problem? 29th Jul 18 at 1:20 AM
    Hi all,

    I am buying a house. The house has undertaken a 2-storey side extension in around 1994. The seller provided planning permission approval and building regulations application approval. However, there is no building regulation completion certificate for the extension works.

    After some my own research, I think there are three options for me:
    1) Request a Certificate of Regularisation from the seller
    2) Go for the building regulation indemnity insurance to satisfy the lenders and proceed
    3) Walk away

    For 1), I don't think seller will do it. Even they are willing to do, it is unlikely it will pass the current building regulations.

    For 2), many people believe indemnity insurance is useless and mainly for satisfying the lender. More importantly, the indemnity insurance will be invalidated if someone approach the council regarding the missing completion certificate. If I go for route 2), my understanding is that future re-sell maybe a problem as lenders require indemnity insurance and this insurance can be easily invalidated. If someone approach the council, this means all buyers who need a mortgage will not be able to secure mortgage due to the indemnity insurance is invalidated. This basically makes the house unsaleable.

    Am I understanding the problem correct?

    Any comments are welcomed! Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by tristanjourney; 29-07-2018 at 8:22 AM. Reason: fix typos
Page 2
    • Hoploz
    • By Hoploz 5th Aug 18, 10:12 PM
    • 3,842 Posts
    • 3,387 Thanks
    The past won't affect any future work you have done. You'll only have the new work inspected - they don't go round looking for other things in the house. The indemnity would be for work done before x date. You just go ahead as normal for future plans and get your own completion certificate for that job.
    • fezster
    • By fezster 6th Aug 18, 7:47 AM
    • 301 Posts
    • 183 Thanks
    The indemnity policy will not cover remedial works required. The policy covers any action BC take against you. Given BC will not be taking action after this period of time, unless the extension is so dangerous that it is falling down - and even then by engaging in costly court action - the policy is all but useless. It is required by the mortgage company to cover the legals.
    • tristanjourney
    • By tristanjourney 10th Aug 18, 6:37 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Hi all,

    I really appreciate all your helps.

    Here are some updates. I contacted the seller through the estate agent to ask why the completion certificate is not available and emphasised that the purchase will not proceed without the completion certificate or regularisation certificate. The seller contacted the building control from the local council and the building control said they do not hold a copy of a completion certificate however they are able to provide seller with a completion letter.

    I never heard about completion letter before so I contacted the local council myself to ask what it is. Building control said a completion letter will be issued when completion certificate is not hold by them or if there are some missing during the final inspection. I also confirmed with building control that the side extension of the property I am purchasing was completed to building regulatory standards at the time of completion and the completion letter will state so.

    So all looks good from my perspective. I am happy to proceed without a further structural engineer survey as the building survey hasn't revealed any concerns regard the extension and now a completion letter can also be issued.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,169Posts Today

8,151Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Right back to self imposed twitter exile until Thur - trying to be off work (not v successfully)

  • Too painful to talk about. That result really was offsensive. For rancid cheese & onion to beat powerful salt & v?

  • If you think this hypothetical's bad, here's some of my past polls - Which past PM would u resurrect to aid politi?

  • Follow Martin