Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • hoc
    • By hoc 29th Jul 18, 1:02 AM
    • 273Posts
    • 151Thanks
    hoc
    Birmingham Midshires Faster Payment changes
    • 29th Jul 18, 1:02 AM
    Birmingham Midshires Faster Payment changes 29th Jul 18 at 1:02 AM
    I'm sure I had received a letter a week or two ago from Birmingham Midshires notifying of a change to account details for payments in but can't find it for the life of me. A search on the forums and internet in general and on BM's site shows nothing. Anyone have the details?
Page 1
    • Westie983
    • By Westie983 29th Jul 18, 3:40 AM
    • 4,635 Posts
    • 15,175 Thanks
    Westie983
    • 29th Jul 18, 3:40 AM
    • 29th Jul 18, 3:40 AM
    The account details are

Our bank account details for deposits are:
    Sort code:30-02-51
    Account code:06968870
    Reference:your Birmingham Midshires account number

Changes from 16th September 2018, if you pay via Direct Debit or Standing Order no need to do anything

Westie983
    Last edited by Westie983; 29-07-2018 at 4:25 AM.
    Save 12k in 2019 #10 Total (16000)+0/12000 = 0.0%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~ 12 #97 Total (450)+1/500 = 0.20% ( x 11)
    Xmas 2018 1 a Day #2 Total (165)+0/365 = 0.00%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (1300)+0/1000 = 0.00%
    2 Savers Club 2018 #16 Total (1030)+0/2000 = 0.0%

Total 1.00/15865 = 2.00%
    I'm a Board Guide on Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Debt-Free Wannabe, Disability Money Matters, and Savings & Investments. I'm a volunteer helping the boards run smoothly, but I'm not a moderator, and do not read all posts. If you see an inappropriate/illegal post then email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • hoc
    • By hoc 30th Jul 18, 12:37 AM
    • 273 Posts
    • 151 Thanks
    hoc
    • 30th Jul 18, 12:37 AM
    • 30th Jul 18, 12:37 AM
    Thanks. I presume this info will be more visibly communicated closer to the date ie updating their online banking payment/linked account page (it isn't currently) and an email reminder and/or online banking message.
    • chas49
    • By chas49 8th Aug 18, 4:36 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    chas49
    • 8th Aug 18, 4:36 PM
    Wait till September....
    • 8th Aug 18, 4:36 PM
    I tried to change my payment from Nationwide to BM using the new details today. Nationwide rejected the sortdode as invalid, and the sortcode checker at the Faster Payments website says it cannot accept FPs.

Presumably this will be OK on or after 16th Sept.
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 7th Sep 18, 10:18 AM
    • 3,695 Posts
    • 2,377 Thanks
    glider3560
    • 7th Sep 18, 10:18 AM
    • 7th Sep 18, 10:18 AM
    I accidentally sent a couple of payments to the new details last week. Neither payment has been returned (both from different banks) and neither has been credited to my Birmingham Midshires account.

The letter was very badly worded IMO. It read like the terms and conditions were changing on the 16th September, but the bank details should be used immediately. I probably misread it, and am probably not the only person to do so.

• youngretired
    • By youngretired 7th Sep 18, 12:20 PM
    • 239 Posts
    • 144 Thanks
    youngretired
    • 7th Sep 18, 12:20 PM
    • 7th Sep 18, 12:20 PM
    I double checked with Birmingham Midshire when I received my letter and was told to wait till September. I also tried to set up the details end of August ready for September but the sort code actually got declined by BOS.
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 8th Sep 18, 9:40 AM
    • 8,852 Posts
    • 24,229 Thanks
    EachPenny
    • 8th Sep 18, 9:40 AM
    • 8th Sep 18, 9:40 AM
    The T&Cs for the Internet Saver (in particular the 1.45% one) say that after the intial deposit (by cheque) further deposits must be made by DD.

https://www.birminghammidshires.co.uk/savings/easy-access-savings/1097/internet-saver-account-yearly-interest.aspx?WT.ac
    "After your first payment by cheque, all payments in must be by Direct Debit from your linked account."

Has anyone made a faster payment into this account (from a linked account or from elsewhere), and if so what happened?

The account is a valuable source of a DD, so I don't want to risk messing that up by making a (substantial) FP from elsewhere, but would prefer not to wait the three days to transfer the money by the DD route.

Thanks.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 8th Sep 18, 10:04 AM
    • 3,695 Posts
    • 2,377 Thanks
    glider3560
    • 8th Sep 18, 10:04 AM
    • 8th Sep 18, 10:04 AM
    The T&Cs for the Internet Saver (in particular the 1.45% one) say that after the intial deposit (by cheque) further deposits must be made by DD.

https://www.birminghammidshires.co.uk/savings/easy-access-savings/1097/internet-saver-account-yearly-interest.aspx?WT.ac
    "After your first payment by cheque, all payments in must be by Direct Debit from your linked account."

Has anyone made a faster payment into this account (from a linked account or from elsewhere), and if so what happened?

The account is a valuable source of a DD, so I don't want to risk messing that up by making a (substantial) FP from elsewhere, but would prefer not to wait the three days to transfer the money by the DD route.

Thanks.
    Originally posted by EachPenny
    I have only ever made subsequent deposits by FP and they've all been credited (except the payments made to the new account details). If payments were only accepted by DD, then I'd be closing the account as it would be useless for my needs (don't want to leave thousands sitting in a current account for days).

• TREVORCOLMAN
    • By TREVORCOLMAN 8th Sep 18, 10:16 AM
    • 917 Posts
    • 296 Thanks
    TREVORCOLMAN
    • 8th Sep 18, 10:16 AM
    Birm mid
    • 8th Sep 18, 10:16 AM
    So are they saying you cannot add casual amounts to the account and can only fund by DD?
    I am NOT a mortgage & insurance adviser - or anything to do with finance, that was put on by the new system I dont know why?!
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 8th Sep 18, 10:19 AM
    • 3,695 Posts
    • 2,377 Thanks
    glider3560
    When you are logged in the BM internet banking, on the "make a deposit" page it says "One-off deposits can take up to 3 bank working days for your funds to reach your account. If you require your funds faster, you maybe able to arrange this with your bank or building society. You will need to supply them with the details below."

I read that as permission to make deposits by faster payments.

• EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 8th Sep 18, 11:15 AM
    • 8,852 Posts
    • 24,229 Thanks
    EachPenny
    I have only ever made subsequent deposits by FP and they've all been credited (except the payments made to the new account details). If payments were only accepted by DD, then I'd be closing the account as it would be useless for my needs (don't want to leave thousands sitting in a current account for days).
    Originally posted by glider3560
    When you are logged in the BM internet banking, on the "make a deposit" page it says "One-off deposits can take up to 3 bank working days for your funds to reach your account. If you require your funds faster, you maybe able to arrange this with your bank or building society. You will need to supply them with the details below."

I read that as permission to make deposits by faster payments.
    Originally posted by glider3560
    Much appreciated thanks. It does sound like permission, and if not, then what else could they mean.
    • youngretired
    • By youngretired 8th Sep 18, 1:04 PM
    • 239 Posts
    • 144 Thanks
    youngretired
    I have a regular monthly DD and have always made faster payments also into the account with no problems.

I did notice that the new details did comment about a cut off of 5pm for payments, so I don't know if this will apply for inward payments as at the moment the payments are normally received within 2 hours except over weekends when they aren't processed until week day.
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 8th Sep 18, 5:40 PM
    • 8,852 Posts
    • 24,229 Thanks
    EachPenny
    I did notice that the new details did comment about a cut off of 5pm for payments, so I don't know if this will apply for inward payments as at the moment the payments are normally received within 2 hours except over weekends when they aren't processed until week day.
    Originally posted by youngretired
    Thanks for the confirmation.

I've done four FP transactions into the BM account and all four appeared in my account online within an hour (even though it was Saturday afternoon).
    • hoc
    • By hoc 16th Sep 18, 7:39 PM
    • 273 Posts
    • 151 Thanks
    hoc
    I see Birmingham Midshire have now changed the details under 'Make a deposit' in online banking. I have set up a new payment recipient with my current account using this information however unlike previously where it was a payment to a company (Birmingham Midshire) I am now paying a person (myself). I deleted the old and first tried to set up as before as paying Birmingham Midshire but my bank still brings the old bank details if I type in as Birmingham Midshire. I will make a small test payment tomorrow. I also notice a new DD mandate presumably to replace the old one, which still remains. I have not touched the old one.
    • youngretired
    • By youngretired 17th Sep 18, 1:01 PM
    • 239 Posts
    • 144 Thanks
    youngretired
    Has anyone sent any money yet to the new details? I set it up today and sent a small amount but it still isn't showing in the account after 4 hours. It used to be within 2 hours and the new sort code does now state that it accepts faster payments.
    • Terry Towelling
    • By Terry Towelling 17th Sep 18, 1:25 PM
    • 755 Posts
    • 590 Thanks
    Terry Towelling
    Has anyone sent any money yet to the new details? I set it up today and sent a small amount but it still isn't showing in the account after 4 hours. It used to be within 2 hours and the new sort code does now state that it accepts faster payments.
    Originally posted by youngretired
    Yes. I diarised a payment on Saturday to go to the new details today. I have checked and it is showing. Oddly it isn't described as a Faster Payment on the BM account but a 'Forward Dated Payment'. All previous payments to the Barclays-held account showed as Faster Payments.
    • TREVORCOLMAN
    • By TREVORCOLMAN 17th Sep 18, 2:40 PM
    • 917 Posts
    • 296 Thanks
    TREVORCOLMAN
    Birm mid
    Can the faster payment in to Birm Mid be from an account other than the linked one??
    I am NOT a mortgage & insurance adviser - or anything to do with finance, that was put on by the new system I dont know why?!
    • durhamviper
    • By durhamviper 17th Sep 18, 3:27 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    durhamviper
    Can the faster payment in to Birm Mid be from an account other than the linked one??
    Originally posted by TREVORCOLMAN
    Yes, I've made faster payments from other accounts into my BM Internet Saver.
    • TREVORCOLMAN
    • By TREVORCOLMAN 17th Sep 18, 3:32 PM
    • 917 Posts
    • 296 Thanks
    TREVORCOLMAN
    Birm mid
    Thanks very much for the reply.

• WilliamP
    • By WilliamP 12th Oct 18, 1:22 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    WilliamP
    Oh dear - I made a payment to my BM savings earlier in the week using the old details - via a regular payment set up on First Direct - not being aware there'd been a change (don't remember getting a letter about this). The money hasn't come through to my account after five working days. On the phone BM said they'd changed things on 17th Sep but didn't seem to have any understanding of why I might have used the old details.

Luckily First Direct seem pretty on the ball and are doing a trace, but a bit worried :-(
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,516Posts Today

9,209Users online

Martin's Twitter