Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sally6588
    • By sally6588 27th Jul 18, 8:43 PM
    • 16Posts
    • 11Thanks
    sally6588
    CEL _ Court Witness Statement Help
    • 27th Jul 18, 8:43 PM
    CEL _ Court Witness Statement Help 27th Jul 18 at 8:43 PM
    I have read the thread etc. for the CEL defence/witness statement, however I have some questions.

The CEL one states the did not give the appropriate information etc. is this something I should use, as I have already been through mediation?

The defence also talks about identifying the driver of the vehicle, but I have effectively already admitted it was me as prior to mediation I provided a statement from the gym I attend that I was authorised to park in the car park?

I would appreciate help here and yes I've read the newbies thread before anyone beats me with that stick!.

Thanks
Page 2
    • nosferatu1001
    • By nosferatu1001 2nd Aug 18, 1:56 PM
    • 3,050 Posts
    • 3,743 Thanks
    nosferatu1001
    Respond back, stating you have not been served their WS, which you will be bringin up in court on the day

You require a verified by statement of truth list of VRMs, and proof through audit trail that this has nto been altered.
    • bargepole
    • By bargepole 9th Aug 18, 11:27 AM
    • 2,340 Posts
    • 6,756 Thanks
    bargepole
    Update: I have been assisting the OP off-forum.

Her hearing was at Dartford County Court today (Claim no. E2GM662E), where a Miss Hodnett, a CEL employee, turned up.

She has just reported that she WON, only about 20 minutes after being called into court. She will post a full report later.

There was also another CEL case at that court this morning, and apparently they lost that one as well.
    Speeding cases fought: 24 (3 of mine, 21 for others). Cases won: 20. Points on licence: 0. Private Parking Court Cases: Won 34. Lost 10.
    • nosferatu1001
    • By nosferatu1001 9th Aug 18, 12:49 PM
    • 3,050 Posts
    • 3,743 Thanks
    nosferatu1001
    Fantastic!
    Rare to see CEL get through to court. SUggests discontinuing is the best option for them...
    • sally6588
    • By sally6588 9th Aug 18, 4:33 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    sally6588
    So here is the update after my court appearance today .

Firstly I would like to say I would not have been able to do this without the wonderful Bargepole, he was fantastic and even put up with my panic emails right up until I entered the court room this morning, so a huge thank you!

I entered the court actually quaking in my boots, CEL had 2 cases at Dartford County Court this morning and two different representatives, mine was an employee of CEL a Miss Hodnett (MH). The first case they lost and I listened to the gentleman representing CEL telling MH that he had not expected to win, and thats how it goes !! This made me think oh great they will be gunning for me then...

The Judge Alison Russell (JR) confirmed the case and asked MH who she was and then spoke to me and said, so you have taken the time to appear yourself today and smiled. MH got the chance to speak first and stated that my WS was 1 day late, to which JR said that it was a small claims court and 1 day was irrelevant. MH carried on and said that they had a contract with the George Hotel in Chatham to which all visitors to the hotel require a permit to park at all times and they had checked that day and I had not had a permit on the time in question and therefore was issued a penalty, MH also commented that I had ignored all correspondence up until the time I was issued a summons, MH seemed quite nervous although glared at me which I thought unnecessary.
    JR then stated that she had not seen my WS to which I replied it had been delivered to the court on the 30th July and I had confirmation, AR said it was ok and did I have a copy for her, which of course I did. JR then asked me to speak, I read my statement and stated that I was reliant on "Promissary Estoppel" as I had no contract with CEL and neither had the gym I attended, therefore I requested the case be dismissed. JR then looked at my evidence, proof of my gym membership and a statement from the gym manager stating that members could park at in the George Carpark during their sessions at the gym, she also said ahh.. you were doing a HIIT session too and smiled!
    JR then turned to MH and asked if she had the contract with the hotel with her, to which MH said she did not, JR also asked had they checked with the hotel if they had this arrangement with the Gym, to which MH said no, JR then said, so MH you have no contract, you have not checked with the hotel or the gym, to which MH said they had not and reiterated that I was not on the list and should have obtained a permit as they had a contract with the hotel. JR then stated that MH had only confirmed my defence as their contract was with the hotel and CEL they had no contract with me or the gym and therefore they had no claim and the case was dismissed.

I was then awarded 123 costs and JR asked MH if she had any comment regarding my costs, to which MH responded that she had costs too, JR laughed and said but you lost MH you cannot claim costs.

This was all over and done with, in less than 15minutes!! I left in total shock, I did thank JR and she said I was welcome and have a good morning .

So another win for MSE and the wonderful Bargepole xx
    • bargepole
    • By bargepole 9th Aug 18, 6:32 PM
    • 2,340 Posts
    • 6,756 Thanks
    bargepole
    It's always nice to help someone win their case by remote control. I could have made the trek to Dartford today, but it would have been a waste of time and money for a case that was always likely to be dismissed in short order, despite Sally's panicking messages.

The Judge who heard this was actually an Employment Tribunal Judge, which the County Courts sometimes draft in when they are short of resources. So it's likely that she wouldn't have come across many parking cases before, but could still see that CEL's case had more holes in it than an emmental cheese wrapped in a string vest.

It remains a mystery why CEL decided to vary their usual policy of skulking in the shadows and avoiding court hearings like the plague, and turn up for two cases at Dartford.
    Speeding cases fought: 24 (3 of mine, 21 for others). Cases won: 20. Points on licence: 0. Private Parking Court Cases: Won 34. Lost 10.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 9th Aug 18, 6:54 PM
    • 18,841 Posts
    • 29,655 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    It remains a mystery why CEL decided to vary their usual policy of skulking in the shadows and avoiding court hearings like the plague, and turn up for two cases at Dartford.
    Especially given the distance between their (purported) HQ at Exchange Flags, Liverpool and Dartford! Long journey home, eh, Miss Hodnett?

Liverpool my Jim Royle!

Well done sally6588, well done bargepole. Nice result and report.
    Last edited by Umkomaas; 09-08-2018 at 8:15 PM.
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • IamEmanresu
    • By IamEmanresu 10th Aug 18, 6:27 AM
    • 2,956 Posts
    • 4,984 Thanks
    IamEmanresu
    Well done Mr B. You're on top form this week

Perhaps it is because it is not their usual policy.
    If you want to win - avoid losing first. Here are a few examples
    1. Failing to Acknowledge or Defend https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5760415
    2. Template defences that say nothing https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5818671&page=5#86
    3. Forgetting about the Witness Statement
    • nosferatu1001
    • By nosferatu1001 10th Aug 18, 10:53 AM
    • 3,050 Posts
    • 3,743 Thanks
    nosferatu1001
    Well done on getting costs as well
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 10th Aug 18, 11:05 AM
    • 8,091 Posts
    • 10,625 Thanks
    beamerguy
    Another great result

I had to smile ...

"JR asked MH if she had any comment regarding my costs, to which MH responded that she had costs too, JR laughed and said but you lost MH you cannot claim costs."

WAKEY WAKEY Miss Hodnett

It must be assumed that the courts know all about
    the CEL rubbish
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 14th Aug 18, 2:35 PM
    • 59,958 Posts
    • 73,127 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Just read this, bargepole pointed it out to me - well done to Sally and bargepole!

Have to add 'another one bites the dust' (makes these court wins easy to search for & count).

I suspect that CEL attended due to a non-forum defence 'from the heart' about the story of what happened, and the fact you tried Mediation, which marked you out as a victim even though you filed evidence to support what you said.

With parking cases, trying Mediation = signals a PPC 'victim', IMHO so this is a great example of two things:

- not to try Mediation, at all, and

- how a decent WS and evidence and remote coaching can win a case in minutes!

PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,474Posts Today

8,517Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin