Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cotta
    • By Cotta 27th Jul 18, 4:53 PM
    • 2,933Posts
    • 1,177Thanks
    Cotta
    Making Money via Cashback on CCs?
    • 27th Jul 18, 4:53 PM
    Making Money via Cashback on CCs? 27th Jul 18 at 4:53 PM
    Hi All,

I've never made any money on cashback when paying for items, I have a number of big ticket items to be paid for coming up and I usually pay via my debit card. Am I missing a trick here and should I use a cashback credit card, if so what one?
Page 1
    • tonycottee
    • By tonycottee 28th Jul 18, 12:33 PM
    • 1,132 Posts
    • 2,133 Thanks
    tonycottee
    • 28th Jul 18, 12:33 PM
    • 28th Jul 18, 12:33 PM
    Any takers on this?
    Originally posted by Cotta
    Hi Cotta.

I have a Nationwide credit card, but the cashback was recently reduced to 0.25%.
    Amazon also offers a credit card. This is 0.5%, but you get more when shopping at Amazon. Plus, I think you can get an Amazon voucher for joining.

Nationwide pays your earnings onto your card in December.
    Amazon pays your earnings in the form of gift cards. They are paid into your Amazon account when you reach at least 10.

Natwest has a card that pays 0.5%. There is an annual fee of 24, but it's free if you have their reward current account.
    • Cotta
    • By Cotta 2nd Aug 18, 10:47 AM
    • 2,933 Posts
    • 1,177 Thanks
    Cotta
    • 2nd Aug 18, 10:47 AM
    • 2nd Aug 18, 10:47 AM
    0.25% does not perhaps sound worthwhile, is there nothing else that would offer a viable alternative?
    • t1redmonkey
    • By t1redmonkey 6th Aug 18, 1:36 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    t1redmonkey
    • 6th Aug 18, 1:36 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 1:36 PM
    Definitely try and get an American Express card. I was in a similar situation to you a few months ago (needed to buy a new front and back door for my house), and the company I was using to buy them from accepted Amex.

So I applied for one of their cards, which offered 5% cashback on the first 2000 of purchases you make in the first 3 months of getting the card (max of 100 cashback), and have already reached that target thanks to that purchase.

I also used to stick with using my debit card everywhere, but now realize I missed out on a lot of free money by not getting a cashback credit card!
    • JoeEngland
    • By JoeEngland 29th Aug 18, 9:18 PM
    • 152 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    JoeEngland
    • 29th Aug 18, 9:18 PM
    • 29th Aug 18, 9:18 PM
    Hi All,

I've never made any money on cashback when paying for items, I have a number of big ticket items to be paid for coming up and I usually pay via my debit card. Am I missing a trick here and should I use a cashback credit card, if so what one?
    Originally posted by Cotta
    I've just been looking into this and the Tandem Bank CC pays 0.5% cashback. This appeals to me, as does the lack of non-sterling transaction fee when using it abroad.
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 30th Aug 18, 1:53 AM
    • 38,292 Posts
    • 263,763 Thanks
    mjm3346
    • 30th Aug 18, 1:53 AM
    • 30th Aug 18, 1:53 AM
    Cashback sites (topcashback/quidco) should be the first port of call and you can probably combine the spending with a cashback card.
    Internet goodness 25370
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,149Posts Today

10,199Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • How much of your income do you spend on holidays each year? Please vote in this week's MSE site poll... https://t.co/LZ3YIGra1p

• RT @FinanceJames: @MartinSLewis Absolutely do. I've been shouldered out of the way by cyclists - while on a bike myself - because I'd stopp?

• I no longer have a car. I mostly walk (& occasionally cycle). I don't need lecturing on bad drivers, I lost my moth? https://t.co/tsBYUEhRjt

• Follow Martin