Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • KittenChops
    • By KittenChops 27th Jul 18, 4:15 PM
    • 134Posts
    • 85Thanks
    KittenChops
    Skirts ok for women, shorts not ok for men...
    • 27th Jul 18, 4:15 PM
    Skirts ok for women, shorts not ok for men... 27th Jul 18 at 4:15 PM
    Hi all,
    Our company has recently amended its summer dress code; it states that dresses & skirts are ok, but shorts are not. Am wondering what people's feelings are about this in terms of possible sexual discrimination, i.e. the men HAVE to wear trousers whereas the women have a choice. To clarify, this is office based work, with no health & safety factors to consider.
Page 2
    • Rosemary7391
    • By Rosemary7391 27th Jul 18, 5:50 PM
    • 2,380 Posts
    • 4,014 Thanks
    Rosemary7391
    My seven year old's are shorts under a skirt - handy as she is always upside down doing cartwheels or handstands.

My skorts are shorts with a wrap over panel at the front so they look like shorts from the back and a skirt from the front. Comfortable and smart!
    Originally posted by LilElvis

Ah, fair enough. I just had a look at my skort pattern and it's like you say - guess I didn't realise because I'm yet to actually make them...
    Slinkies 2018 Challenge - 0/80lb lost
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 27th Jul 18, 5:53 PM
    • 6,370 Posts
    • 30,258 Thanks
    bugslet
    Because real discrimination is people losing their homes because they cant work due to sexuality, religion, race or gender - not whether they can wear shorts.
    Originally posted by Comms69

Precisely.

Though personally I think management should say something like smart nearly knee length shorts. Some of my lads are turning up in navy cargo type shorts and that's fine with me. If they rocked up in some 1970s style running shorts.....ewwww.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 27th Jul 18, 8:08 PM
    • 5,471 Posts
    • 6,067 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    Precisely.

Though personally I think management should say something like smart nearly knee length shorts. Some of my lads are turning up in navy cargo type shorts and that's fine with me. If they rocked up in some 1970s style running shorts.....ewwww.
    Originally posted by bugslet

Be careful what you wish for. One 'dress down' day where I worked they decided to have a sports theme to it. It was bound to end badly. One guy came in wearing lycra shorts. He was sat down when two of the women who sat opposite him came in, but the expressions on their faces when he stood up had the office in hysterics.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 27th Jul 18, 8:56 PM
    • 17,606 Posts
    • 10,672 Thanks
    motorguy
    Hi all,
    Our company has recently amended its summer dress code; it states that dresses & skirts are ok, but shorts are not. Am wondering what people's feelings are about this in terms of possible sexual discrimination, i.e. the men HAVE to wear trousers whereas the women have a choice. To clarify, this is office based work, with no health & safety factors to consider.
    Originally posted by KittenChops
    No, no-one is allowed to wear shorts. Dresses / skirts have to be a 'modest length'.
    Yes, men can wear skirts, dresses or kilts and not fall foul of the dress code.
    So talk me through how its gender discrimination?
    • neither men nor women are allowed to wear shorts
    • both women and men can wear skirts
    • both men and women can wear trousers
    Last edited by motorguy; 27-07-2018 at 8:58 PM.
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 27th Jul 18, 10:06 PM
    • 5,471 Posts
    • 6,067 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    If it had been a case that women were told they could wear light, casual clothing and the men told they had to continue wearing suits, that would have been discriminatory.
    • ALEXJONES1989
    • By ALEXJONES1989 28th Jul 18, 1:04 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ALEXJONES1989
    Unhappy with working away from home terms
    Post in error
    Last edited by ALEXJONES1989; 28-07-2018 at 1:04 AM. Reason: mistake
    • KittenChops
    • By KittenChops 7th Aug 18, 4:36 PM
    • 134 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    KittenChops
    Originally posted by bugslet
    We did have one male member of staff who, before the dress code was amended, wore smart cargo shorts. However, as a direct consequence of a female member of staff wearing very short, sporty-style shorts, the dress code was amended to 'no shorts' (where previously shorts had not been mentioned).

Anyway... Thanks to all for sharing their thoughts on this (even those who appear to have read more into the OP than was actually there!) and apologies for taking my time in coming back to say so.
    • xapprenticex
    • By xapprenticex 7th Aug 18, 7:37 PM
    • 1,541 Posts
    • 1,536 Thanks
    xapprenticex
    tbh id rather not see men in shorts at work, too much of it will turn my stomach.

Save it for your own time and/or whoever has to put up with it at home.

Im sure you can wear a skirt if you insist though, doubt they would stop you, if anything they would support your new lifestyle.

Give people too many rights and stupid things like this happens.
    Last edited by xapprenticex; 07-08-2018 at 7:39 PM.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 7th Aug 18, 8:24 PM
    • 39,058 Posts
    • 35,948 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    We did have one male member of staff who, before the dress code was amended, wore smart cargo shorts. However, as a direct consequence of a female member of staff wearing very short, sporty-style shorts, the dress code was amended to 'no shorts' (where previously shorts had not been mentioned).
    You see, IMO this is where a good manager would have spoken to them and suggested that very short, sporty-style shorts were not appropriate office wear, just as very short, skimpy mini-dresses might not be appropriate. No need to amend the dress code for one person not knowing where to draw the line.

I remember in a past life a manager asking a receptionist not to reveal her newly pierced midriff on the reception desk. She asked if it was because she wasn't young and skinny. No, the manager assured her that even if she was young and skinny it would not be appropriate to reveal her midriff on the reception desk.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself ...
    Current projects: Poppies, mohair cardigan pattern arrived and going strong!
    • Nothanks
    • By Nothanks 7th Aug 18, 11:01 PM
    • 134 Posts
    • 151 Thanks
    Nothanks
    This crops up every summer. File it alongside "women can wear flip flops" in the non-issue stop moaning pile.
    Anything I post is solely MY OPINION. It never constitutes legal, financial or collective bargaining advice. I may tell you based on information given how I might approach an employment dispute case, but you should always seek advice from your own Union representative. If you don't have one, get one!
    • powerful_Rogue
    • By powerful_Rogue 7th Aug 18, 11:16 PM
    • 3,529 Posts
    • 5,220 Thanks
    powerful_Rogue
    tbh id rather not see men in shorts at work, too much of it will turn my stomach.

Im sure you can wear a skirt if you insist though, doubt they would stop you, if anything they would support your new lifestyle.

Originally posted by xapprenticex

Same applies for women in leggings.
    • PersianCatLady
    • By PersianCatLady 7th Aug 18, 11:56 PM
    • 578 Posts
    • 571 Thanks
    PersianCatLady
    Hi all,
    As long as men can wear skirts then there is no sexual discrimination.

I am presuming that women are not allowed to wear shorts either??
    • Energize
    • By Energize 8th Aug 18, 1:53 AM
    • 452 Posts
    • 201 Thanks
    Energize
    I think it's discriminatory as while technically men can wear skirts it is not generally considered socially acceptable so it's not creating an equal situation for men and women.
    • PersianCatLady
    • By PersianCatLady 8th Aug 18, 4:08 AM
    • 578 Posts
    • 571 Thanks
    PersianCatLady
    I think it's discriminatory as while technically men can wear skirts it is not generally considered socially acceptable so it's not creating an equal situation for men and women.
    Originally posted by Energize
    Welcome to the 21st century, where have you been??
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 8th Aug 18, 4:15 AM
    • 2,127 Posts
    • 3,252 Thanks
    shortcrust
    Moaning about the discriminatory aspects of dress codes is best left to school kids (cue the perennial photos of schoolboys in dresses in the local paper). Grown up men will find they can wear trousers in warm weather without injury.
    • KittenChops
    • By KittenChops 8th Aug 18, 10:08 AM
    • 134 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    KittenChops
    This crops up every summer. File it alongside "women can wear flip flops" in the non-issue stop moaning pile.
    Originally posted by Nothanks

You know, I've never understood why anyone would think wearing flip flops in an office is appropriate footwear...!
    • KittenChops
    • By KittenChops 8th Aug 18, 10:09 AM
    • 134 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    KittenChops

Originally posted by xapprenticex

Erm.. I'm at work and wearing a skirt right now... Thanks though!!
    • KittenChops
    • By KittenChops 8th Aug 18, 10:13 AM
    • 134 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    KittenChops
    You see, IMO this is where a good manager would have spoken to them and suggested that very short, sporty-style shorts were not appropriate office wear, just as very short, skimpy mini-dresses might not be appropriate. No need to amend the dress code for one person not knowing where to draw the line.

I remember in a past life a manager asking a receptionist not to reveal her newly pierced midriff on the reception desk. She asked if it was because she wasn't young and skinny. No, the manager assured her that even if she was young and skinny it would not be appropriate to reveal her midriff on the reception desk.
    Originally posted by Savvy_Sue

Absolutely agree.
    • xXMessedUpXx
    • By xXMessedUpXx 8th Aug 18, 11:22 PM
    • 17,232 Posts
    • 45,370 Thanks
    xXMessedUpXx
    If its good enough for the Royals (Prince George alays wears shorts as per royal protocol) i really don;t see whey men can;t wear shorts to work. My bf has this very issue in work, all the ladies were wearing skirts and dresses and the guys were stuck in trousers (well i say trousers, he's allowed to wear joggers), he raised it with his boss and thankfully they are now allowed to wear shorts. If we;re goign to have equality i dont see why men should have to suffer as a result.
    "Life Is Like A Beautiful Melody Only The Lyrics Are Messed Up"
    To see the rainbow you need both the sun and the rain to make its colours appear
    "I just need to be alone right now, i just wanna take a little breather"
    • xapprenticex
    • By xapprenticex 9th Aug 18, 12:01 AM
    • 1,541 Posts
    • 1,536 Thanks
    xapprenticex
    HOw on earth is wearing trousers equating to suffering?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,808Posts Today

8,283Users online

Martin's Twitter