Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lloydyyy
    • By lloydyyy 27th Jul 18, 2:12 PM
    • 349Posts
    • 57Thanks
    lloydyyy
    Switch or stay?
    • 27th Jul 18, 2:12 PM
    Switch or stay? 27th Jul 18 at 2:12 PM
    Looking for some advice on switching suppliers. I've been with npower for a while and changed to their standard tariff after my fixed tariff ended, but I've been stuck on their standard tariff for a while because there was a massive balls-up with my electricity meter details on the national database; I was listed as having a prepayment meter instead of a credit meter. The issue has recently been resolved and I'm now looking to switch.

My DD is set to 60 a month because of the standard tariff but npower has a fixed deal which I might consider and it saves me the hassle of switching:
    • Broker Exclusive Fix August 2019
    • Fixed until 31 Aug 2019
    • 60 exit fee
    • 30 a month
    Or there's tarfifs from other suppliers:

Ebico (no recent reviews and older reviews aren't encouraging)
    • Zero Green Fixed
    • No exit fee
    • Fixed for 12 months
    • 28 a month
    Avro (customer service has apparently slipped)
    • Simple and Glory
    • Fixed for 12 months
    • No exit fee
    • 30 a month
    Green Network (no recent reviews and older reviews are somewhat encouraging)
    • GNE 12 Month Tracker
    • Variable
    • No exit fee
    • 31 a month
    Tonik (customer service has apparently slipped)
    • 2 Year Renewable Fix
    • Fixed for 24 months
    • No exit fee
    • 31 a month
    Bristol Energy
    • Bristol Energy Fixed to July 2019 Issue 9 Paperless billing
    • Fixed until 31 Jul 2019
    • No exit fee
    • 32 a month
    Bulb (great customer service but tariff is most expensive)
    • Vari-Fair
    • Variable
    • No exit fee
    • 34 a month
    Last edited by lloydyyy; 27-07-2018 at 2:15 PM.
Page 1
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 27th Jul 18, 2:41 PM
    • 11,091 Posts
    • 4,807 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 27th Jul 18, 2:41 PM
    • 27th Jul 18, 2:41 PM
    Those tariffs are only showing estimated monthly DD .
    I would be looking at actual unit costs .
    My inclination at present would be for two year fixes .
    • lloydyyy
    • By lloydyyy 27th Jul 18, 2:47 PM
    • 349 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    lloydyyy
    • 27th Jul 18, 2:47 PM
    • 27th Jul 18, 2:47 PM
    Those tariffs are only showing estimated monthly DD .
    I would be looking at actual unit costs .
    My inclination at present would be for two year fixes .
    Originally posted by JJ Egan
    I input my usage into the comparison tool and it showed the above tariffs. I thought using the usage figures would be accurate enough?
    • isotonic_uk
    • By isotonic_uk 28th Jul 18, 4:31 PM
    • 329 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    isotonic_uk
    • 28th Jul 18, 4:31 PM
    • 28th Jul 18, 4:31 PM
    I input my usage into the comparison tool and it showed the above tariffs. I thought using the usage figures would be accurate enough?
    Originally posted by lloydyyy
    Did you fill in your usage or how much you pay a month? If so then it should be ok.
    • isotonic_uk
    • By isotonic_uk 28th Jul 18, 4:34 PM
    • 329 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    isotonic_uk
    • 28th Jul 18, 4:34 PM
    • 28th Jul 18, 4:34 PM
    Looking for some advice on switching suppliers. I've been with npower for a while and changed to their standard tariff after my fixed tariff ended, but I've been stuck on their standard tariff for a while because there was a massive balls-up with my electricity meter details on the national database; I was listed as having a prepayment meter instead of a credit meter. The issue has recently been resolved and I'm now looking to switch.

My DD is set to 60 a month because of the standard tariff but npower has a fixed deal which I might consider and it saves me the hassle of switching:

Avro (customer service has apparently slipped)
    • Simple and Glory
    • Fixed for 12 months
    • No exit fee
    • 30 a month
    I just done a transfer from First Utility to Avro. At the end of the day its cheaper and its not like anyones going to cut you off. Its just who you pay the bill too.

Looking at Avro's reviews on TrustPilot I am quite confident they should deliver but we'll see. Tbh I dont trust any of them but at the end of the day whoever can do it the cheapest wins for me.

Slightly gutted that there isnt a phone app to record my readings but I can just login to the website and do it that way. i have to say the app was handy but then at the same time there is a premium for these small benefits. So you got to decide what your happy to go with.

Use review centre and trustpilot to look at the reviews of the all the companies your looking at, that will assist you in your decision making.

Thanks
    • lloydyyy
    • By lloydyyy 28th Jul 18, 7:27 PM
    • 349 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    lloydyyy
    • 28th Jul 18, 7:27 PM
    • 28th Jul 18, 7:27 PM
    Outfox The Market came out the cheapest at 24 a month, but their website doesn't fill me with confidence and their reviews seems sketchy, otherwise I would've gone with them.
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 28th Jul 18, 7:40 PM
    • 9,592 Posts
    • 14,768 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 28th Jul 18, 7:40 PM
    • 28th Jul 18, 7:40 PM
    Outfox The Market came out the cheapest at 24 a month, but their website doesn't fill me with confidence and their reviews seems sketchy, otherwise I would've gone with them.
    Joined them in June. No issues.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • lloydyyy
    • By lloydyyy 28th Jul 18, 8:47 PM
    • 349 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    lloydyyy
    • 28th Jul 18, 8:47 PM
    • 28th Jul 18, 8:47 PM
    Joined them in June. No issues.
    Originally posted by worried jim

I think their prices are due go up within the next few days. I might hang fire and see what my estimated monthly price will be after the prices are increased.

Edit: Saying that, if the increase is 6.5% then that should only increase my DD from about 24 to about 25.50.
    Last edited by lloydyyy; 28-07-2018 at 9:10 PM.
    • lloydyyy
    • By lloydyyy 29th Jul 18, 8:43 PM
    • 349 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    lloydyyy
    • 29th Jul 18, 8:43 PM
    • 29th Jul 18, 8:43 PM
    I've just realised I've made a massive balls-up with my figures; I didn't convert the gas units to kWh I thought the comparison prices seemed too cheap! School boy error

I have my gas meter readings dating back to 2015, so I can take an actual usage figure over the past 12 months or use npower's estimated annual usage for 12 months. Which would be better to use? I think Outfox The Market still comes out as the cheapest - do they base their membership fees on the electricity usage or both fuels?
    Last edited by lloydyyy; 29-07-2018 at 8:43 PM. Reason: Added info
    • lloydyyy
    • By lloydyyy 30th Jul 18, 8:52 PM
    • 349 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    lloydyyy
    Running some calculations on my figures. npower's annual estimates (July 2017 - July 2018) for gas and electric are 8000kWh and 1420kWh, respectively.

However, my figures for July 2017 - July 2018 (based on actual meter readings) vary some more:

22nd July 2017 - 28th July 2018
    Gas - 9390 kWh
    Electricity - 1400 kWh

22nd July 2017 - 5th July 2018
    Gas - 8570 kWh
    Electricity - 1400 kWh

I'm not sure which figures to use. They vary a bit but obviously I want to be as accurate as possible.
    Last edited by lloydyyy; 30-07-2018 at 9:51 PM. Reason: Updated content
    • jcontest
    • By jcontest 31st Jul 18, 12:22 AM
    • 92 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    jcontest
    9390 / 371 days = 25.31 kWh/Day *365 = 9,238 (+/-2)
    8570 / 248 days = 24.63 kWh/Day *365 = 8,990 (+/-2)
    (9,238+8,990)/2 = 9,114 kWh
    -Or-
    22 July 17 - 5 July 18 - 8570 kWh
    5 July 18 - 28 July 18
    820 kWh / 23 days = 35.65 kWh/Day
    Assume.
    5 July 18 - 22 July 18
    17 days * 35.65 kWh/day = 606 kWh

22 July 17 - 22 July 18
    8570 kWh + 606 kWh = 9,176 kWh

So I would say somewhere between 9,114 and 9,176.
    I honestly doubt the results on any of the quotes will be different :P.
    I would go with 9,176. Must be bored to be up this late doing this.....
    • lloydyyy
    • By lloydyyy 31st Jul 18, 11:30 PM
    • 349 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    lloydyyy
    So I would say somewhere between 9,114 and 9,176.
    I honestly doubt the results on any of the quotes will be different :P.
    I would go with 9,176. Must be bored to be up this late doing this.....
    Originally posted by jcontest

Nevertheless, your input is appreciated I ran a new comparison using gas and electricity figures of 9100 kWh and 1500 kWh, respectively.

Cheapest variable:
    Outfox The Market - variable - 47 a month but will rise to about 50 after the price rise on 8th August.

Cheapest fixes with no exit fees:
    Avro - 12 month fixed - 50 a month
    Tonik - 24 month fixed - 54 a month

Makes sense to go for a fixed deal Worth the extra 4 to lock in for longer with Tonik?

Edit: Tried separating the fuels to see if it would be cheaper:

Gas:
    • Zog - 24 month fixed - no exit fee - 28 a month
    There were a few variable tariffs at about 27 but very little feedback on these new suppliers.

Electric:
    • Outfox The Market - variable - 20 a month
    • Ebico - 12 month fixed - no exit fee - 23 a month
    • So Energy - 12 month fixed - 5 exit fee - 24 a month
    • Bristol Energy - Fixed until September 2020 - no exit fee - 25 a month
    • npower - fixed until July 2020 - no exit fee - 26 a month
    Last edited by lloydyyy; 05-08-2018 at 7:08 PM. Reason: Added info
    • lloydyyy
    • By lloydyyy 5th Aug 18, 7:08 PM
    • 349 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    lloydyyy
    I could go with Zog for gas and Bristol Energy for electricity, totaling 53 a month for a 24-month fix with both suppliers versus 54 a month for a dual-fuel 24-month fix with Tonik. Is it worth splitting the fuels for a such a small saving? Would be very grateful for any advice.
    Last edited by lloydyyy; 05-08-2018 at 7:53 PM.
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 5th Aug 18, 9:53 PM
    • 1,038 Posts
    • 796 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    @LLOYDYYY
    I'm currently using Zog for gas and prior to that Bristol and had no issues with either supplier. Never used Tonik.
    I've not used the same supplier for both fuels for many years now.
    But you have to do what you feel comfortable with though.
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 5th Aug 18, 10:05 PM
    • 2,536 Posts
    • 2,516 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    Edit: Tried separating the fuels to see if it would be cheaper:
    Very often it is.

Gas:
    • Zog - 24 month fixed - no exit fee - 28 a month
    Zog do charge an early exit fee on their fixed tariffs. It is 30.

I've been a Zog customer for a couple of years and have no complaints.

There were a few variable tariffs at about 27 but very little feedback on these new suppliers.
    At such a close margin between fixed and variable it doesn't make much sense to opt for variable. Prices are not likely to fall anytime soon.

Electric:
    • Outfox The Market - variable - 20 a month
    • Ebico - 12 month fixed - no exit fee - 23 a month
    • So Energy - 12 month fixed - 5 exit fee - 24 a month
    • Bristol Energy - Fixed until September 2020 - no exit fee - 25 a month
    • npower - fixed until July 2020 - no exit fee - 26 a month
    Have you factored in the price rise for Outfox The Market? If you have then having separate suppliers will cost you slightly less than the dual fuel deal with Avro.

FWIW I had no end of problems with Bristol Energy on an unoccupied property and their inability to calculate a bill correctly, or accept my meter readings. The fun really started when I left them as they tried to refuse to give me a final bill! After much arguing with them they relented and then took weeks to refund the credit on my account. I would never use them again, but I'm sure others have had no issues with them.
    • lloydyyy
    • By lloydyyy 5th Aug 18, 10:22 PM
    • 349 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    lloydyyy
    The Zog tariff I was looking at is Saturn 24 - which is 29 a month and 0 exit fee. Whereas Zog's Mercury 24 tariff at 28 a month has a 30 exit fee.

I figured going for 24-month fixed tariffs would be better idea than 12-month fixed tariffs.
    • doubleug
    • By doubleug 6th Aug 18, 12:15 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    doubleug
    Whatever you do--clear up your Npower unfinished business first and get an up to date statement. They-Npower are adept at only discussing a new deal based on the information they have with you since your LAST statement. These statements are formally only issued twice a year. Thus if you last had a statement in april and you submitted meter reads today(6/8) your heavy winter usage will be your last compare/reference point.
    FYI- shortly after receiving my april statement I forwarded an 150 sum to my account to pay for an accrued debit of 150 due to the cold weather in february/march.
    When renewing my tariff last month, the advisor used my last april statement as his base point for setting new tariff rates for 2018/9 leading to a much higher monthly repayment figure, due to him not being "allowed" to incorporate my voluntary debit repayment. This is now sorted.
    I will however be staying with NPower for now. I don't believe i can seriously get much of a cheaper tariff anywhere else. Their telephone advisors are helpful and fine( if you have done your homework). Don't use the on line chat folk-they are not as quick, are often vague and tend to gatekeep responses based on their process guidelines...thus avoid.
    Good luck.
    Last edited by doubleug; 06-08-2018 at 12:18 PM. Reason: spelling error
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 6th Aug 18, 1:48 PM
    • 2,536 Posts
    • 2,516 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    The Zog tariff I was looking at is Saturn 24 - which is 29 a month and 0 exit fee. Whereas Zog's Mercury 24 tariff at 28 a month has a 30 exit fee.

I figured going for 24-month fixed tariffs would be better idea than 12-month fixed tariffs.
    Ah, fair enough. The Saturn tariff has a higher standing charge, however at 12.6p / day, rather than 10.5p /day. While this is only a relatively small amount, how likely is it that you will want to switch during the fix period? It's your choice.

I am currently on a 24 month fix for the gas, so I agree with your view about them. I don't anticipate any notable falls in price over the next couple of years (although I may be wrong).
    • lloydyyy
    • By lloydyyy 6th Aug 18, 8:32 PM
    • 349 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    lloydyyy
    The EO ruled in my favour again recently and awarded an additional 50 in compensation. I've had a revised bill from July 2016 to July 2018 which is correct. I asked to see a statement of account, and that seems to be in order as well. npower has updated my electricity meter details on the national database to the correct details. I'll have to update my thread on npower with the outcome. I received an annual summary cover June 2017 to June 2018 but I can't work out how they've come to the estimated gas usage figure of 8054kWh - even my figures don't come close. I'll have to ring them and check.

I would stay with npower to save the hassle of switching but there's better deals out there. Tonik's dual-fuel fix for 24 months with no exit fee, or separating the fuels totaling 53 a month for 24 months with no exit fee. I think it's best if I lock in for as long as I can. Saying that, it seems like a balancing act between cost, exit fees and locking in for as long as possible. For example, Outfox The Market is 20 a month for electricity only compared to 25 a month for Bristol Energy's 24-month fixed tariff. Begs the question, is it worth taking a chance with a variable tariff?
    Last edited by lloydyyy; 06-08-2018 at 8:40 PM. Reason: Spelling
    • doubleug
    • By doubleug 7th Aug 18, 11:18 AM
    • 35 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    doubleug
    Remember that when fixing a tariff-you are talking to a sales advisor-who will always ruthlessly play with figures slightly undercutting if he/she can.....this is the summer--so once you start using more energy in the winter months your winter statement will push up the monthlies! ..up it goes
    On Line Fix (generic deals) only mean the price of the actual units, it does not mean the price you actually pay.
    My view-I doubt many people understand their bills anyway ,what with price fix, price increase, standard daily charges, daily rates, usage graphs, convoluted split customer meter readings and the worst one of all-a refund because you have paid more than the energy you have used--but a monthly price hike in direct debits anyway!
    Grrrrrrrrr....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

274Posts Today

2,367Users online

Martin's Twitter