Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Andrew
      Verified User verified user
    • By MSE Andrew Verified User verified user 27th Jul 18, 11:43 AM
    • 83Posts
    • 21Thanks
    MSE Andrew
    MSE News: Energy firm Iresa ceases trading - here's what it means for customers
    • 27th Jul 18, 11:43 AM
    MSE News: Energy firm Iresa ceases trading - here's what it means for customers 27th Jul 18 at 11:43 AM
    Beleaguered energy supplier Iresa, which has tens of thousand of customers, has ceased trading...
    Read the full story:
    'Energy firm Iresa ceases trading - here's what it means for customers'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven!!!8217;t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Andrew; 16-08-2018 at 1:16 PM.
Page 6
    • squires55
    • By squires55 8th Aug 18, 12:46 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    squires55
    My situation and Iresa
    Not sure I've seen anyone else in the same situation as me;

Started the transfer from Iresa to 1select in Feb 2018 when my fixed rate was expiring, setup the account with 1select and then waited for the magic to happen.

Some weeks later I had an email to say my Elec was in debit and that the transfer was declined, gas account had been transferred succesfully (heavily in credit). I arranged for the Elec debit to be paid and then re requested the transfer via 1select, again waited only to be informed the acount was in debit (again) and the request declined. At this point I asked Iresa for the credit on my Gas to be applied to the Elec and then re requested the transfer again, waited a couple of weeks to read then read Iresa had folded!

So at this point I only have a Gas account with 1select, I think the Elec is with Iresa and should be moving to Octopus but haven't received any correspondence from them as yet and can't get on the Iresa website to check

Bit unsure as what to do, should I wait and hope never to pay for electric again or contact Octopus?

Whichever, I'm unhappy with 1select given their poor customer service so reluctant to move anything to them other than temporarily, but to transfer I need to know my current suppliers!
    • fairplayer
    • By fairplayer 8th Aug 18, 1:41 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    fairplayer
    Shame. I really liked Iresa and never had a problem.
    Thus far, I don't like Octopus one bit.

Octopus issued literature stating "we will transfer you to our award-winning customer service platform on our cheapest tariff".

Most of their email is dedicated to a self serving sales pitch about their fantastic customer service. I am very sorry but I pay for electric. An award-winning customer service platform is not my priority concern.

"While this will cost more than what you’re currently paying, it’s priced to ensure we’re a sustainable business. Although we’ve won numerous awards for our customer service, we make less than 5% margin, which covers the entire costs of running our business. "You will be moved onto Octopus's cheapest tariff which is hundreds of pounds cheaper than the Big 6."

Nowhere in their literature does it state their mandatory actual tariff charges.

I comprehend price is not particularly important to Octopus. It is all about their award-winning customer service.

"We are the only energy supplier recommended by consumer champions Which?, uSwitch’s Supplier of the Year, and backed by the £8 billion Octopus Investments."

"Octopus is renowned for fantastic service, but please do not call or email us unless it’s an emergency."

So how am I expected to find out how much I am now paying for electricity?
    The onus is upon Octopus to provide this information.

Which tariff have I been charged since August 1st 2018?

What legally constitutes 'their cheapest' tariff?

It is highly unethical to raise peoples direct debit/charges without notifying them of the actual tariff cost especially when they are not in any position to do anything about it.

Out of courtesy, emails should instead contain full details of their actual cheapest tariff that customers are now being mandated to pay.

I have cancelled my direct debit as I had a large credit balance with Iresa. Octopus has no authority to take from my bank account until they notify the anticipated charges. I am really not interested in John Paull's love and power .

Sorry about the rant folks.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 8th Aug 18, 2:01 PM
    • 19,142 Posts
    • 13,337 Thanks
    molerat
    I think giving personal quotes this early is a bit much to ask with the scale of the task they have taken on. It is not difficult for you to find that information for yourself though through either the supplier's own website quote function or one of the many comparison sites.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • SuiDreams
    • By SuiDreams 8th Aug 18, 2:22 PM
    • 2,291 Posts
    • 10,282 Thanks
    SuiDreams
    My energy is up and down -

Cold Fill Washing Machine and Dishwasher.
    Tumble Dryer
    Electric Oven and Hob
    Gas only for heating/hot water

Depending on how much usage these get, this will reflect my energy usage. Most things in the house are now energy saving, with the exception of a 500w PIR light on the garage.

I could do a 12 month, best guess....my energy usage would probably be the same for Electric (as we use a dryer all year), but Gas goes through the room in winter...
    Originally posted by Alias_Omega

Do you not have figures for last 12 months? I keep records of monthly usage going back years and its these figures I use for comparison sites. Electric varies very little year on year but gas depends on if we have a cold winter or a mild one. For gas I usually do a comparison based on 3 figures average annual usage, cold winter and mild winter.

I hope that helps
    • fairplayer
    • By fairplayer 8th Aug 18, 5:18 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    fairplayer
    "It is not difficult for you to find that information for yourself though through either the supplier's own website quote function or one of the many comparison sites".

Why should I? I did not ask them to take-over my account.

It is their responsibility to provide the full details of what they have been charging me since 1st August 2018 or is that too complicated for their award winning customer service platform?

Since 1st August, apparently, I already have an account with Octopus that I cannot move away from until they say I can. Their charges are mandatory - I have to accept them - whatever they may be?. I have no choice whatsoever in this matter. The very least they can do is supply their actual tariff charges instead of a convenient sales pitch, or is that too difficult?

I have no desire to spend hours of my time going through their website (including lots of closed historic tariffs) and reading more information about their awards. Thank you.
    • lostfoot
    • By lostfoot 8th Aug 18, 5:23 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lostfoot
    Was looking to change away from Octopus asap but noticed on the comparison sites some energy companies have removed their cheaper tariffs today. Why couldn't ofgem have allowed us to switch straight away from Iresa instead of switching to Octopus for 21 days and only then being allowed to choose to switch.
    • gadgetmind
    • By gadgetmind 8th Aug 18, 5:38 PM
    • 10,852 Posts
    • 8,746 Thanks
    gadgetmind
    Because switching often involves a lot of interactions between old supplier and new (and other parts of the industry) via various data flows, and Iresa were in no position to handle their side of this. The only alternative is for the full portfolio of customers to be moved to someone can handle either ongoing supply or switching.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
    • psamuel
    • By psamuel 8th Aug 18, 6:51 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    psamuel
    Octopus email
    Email received from Octopus today asking for an up to date meter read.
    Email informs me I can move from the 21st. :-)
    • fairplayer
    • By fairplayer 8th Aug 18, 7:01 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    fairplayer
    Was looking to change away from Octopus asap but noticed on the comparison sites some energy companies have removed their cheaper tariffs today. Why couldn't ofgem have allowed us to switch straight away from Iresa instead of switching to Octopus for 21 days and only then being allowed to choose to switch.
    Originally posted by lostfoot
    Totally agree.

I am also looking to move quickly after reading a string of poor reviews for Octopus on the Energy Advisory Service - UK website (energy-advise.com).

Octopus are also in the process of taking on some M&S customers. Rapid expansion does not usually bode well for customers.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 8th Aug 18, 7:46 PM
    • 19,142 Posts
    • 13,337 Thanks
    molerat
    "It is not difficult for you to find that information for yourself though through either the supplier's own website quote function or one of the many comparison sites".

It is their responsibility to provide the full details of what they have been charging me since 1st August 2018 or is that too complicated for their award winning customer service platform?

Since 1st August, apparently, I already have an account with Octopus that I cannot move away from until they say I can. Their charges are mandatory - I have to accept them - whatever they may be?. I have no choice whatsoever in this matter. The very least they can do is supply their actual tariff charges instead of a convenient sales pitch, or is that too difficult?

I have no desire to spend hours of my time going through their website (including lots of closed historic tariffs) and reading more information about their awards. Thank you.
    Originally posted by fairplayer
    Best you challenge the government over the Energy Act 2011 and supplier of last resort rules then. I very much doubt any supplier taking over 100,000 accounts at once could supply you with a personalised statement in a week.
    Last edited by molerat; 08-08-2018 at 7:54 PM.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 8th Aug 18, 7:50 PM
    • 7,293 Posts
    • 6,058 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    Shame. I really liked Iresa and never had a problem.
    Thus far, I don't like Octopus one bit.

Octopus issued literature stating "we will transfer you to our award-winning customer service platform on our cheapest tariff".

Most of their email is dedicated to a self serving sales pitch about their fantastic customer service. I am very sorry but I pay for electric. An award-winning customer service plattform is not my priority concern.
    Many ex Iresa customers are likely to be taking more notice of customer service ratings in future as they will understand the need.

They didn't ask to take over your account, ofgem asked them.
    I wasn't entirely sure what I would be paying but found getting a quote easy enough or is that too complicated for you. It would have taken less time than writing your posts on here.
    You'll be able to leave within weeks. I doubt they'll miss you.
    Last edited by Norman Castle; 08-08-2018 at 7:54 PM.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 8th Aug 18, 7:59 PM
    • 7,293 Posts
    • 6,058 Thanks
    Norman Castle

I am also looking to move quickly after reading a string of poor reviews for Octopus on the Energy Advisory Service - UK website (energy-advise.com).
    Hopefully the move will be problem free. If not, their award winning customer services will be happy to help.

• fairplayer
    • By fairplayer 8th Aug 18, 11:21 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    fairplayer
    Many ex Iresa customers are likely to be taking more notice of customer service ratings in future as they will understand the need.

I wasn't entirely sure what I would be paying but found getting a quote easy enough or is that too complicated for you. It would have taken less time than writing your posts on here.
    You'll be able to leave within weeks. I doubt they'll miss you.
    Originally posted by Norman Castle
    Thank you for your personal disparagement.

I know many happy ex Iresa customers who suffered no problem whatsoever with Iresa customer services. Sadly, none were polled for their ratings.

I do not require a quotation. I am currently tied via an undisclosed contract.

Perspicua vera non sunt probanda.
    • t0rt0ise
    • By t0rt0ise 8th Aug 18, 11:27 PM
    • 3,058 Posts
    • 1,923 Thanks
    t0rt0ise
    I agree with fairplayer. It would have been very easy for them to have given us the kwh price and standing charge price instead of expecting us to go hunting for it. Not good customer service at all.

Edit: I don't need a personal quote, just the price.
    • Daytona
    • By Daytona 9th Aug 18, 1:32 AM
    • 47 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Daytona
    I've sneakily logged in to my new Octopus account and see that the electricity tariff Economy 7 user are on is Flexible Octopus June 2018 v1 (IRESA Flex 5 Jan 2019 comparison in brackets) -

Day rate 15.96p per kWh (+36%)
    Night rate 8.94p per kWh (+7%)
    Standing charge 18.81p per day (-3%)

So all in all, a 14% price increase for me.

Since OFGEMs Supplier of Last Resort means that there is no disincentive to choose unsustainable suppliers I'll continue to switch to the cheapest. IRESA worked well for me, a smooth transfer and accurate direct debits.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 9th Aug 18, 7:18 AM
    • 7,293 Posts
    • 6,058 Thanks
    Norman Castle

I know many happy ex Iresa customers who suffered no problem whatsoever with Iresa customer services. Sadly, none were polled for their ratings.

Perspicua vera non sunt probanda.
    Its unfortunate Ofgem didn't ask you or your friends although there would be no need if they are receiving excessive amounts of complaints about Iresa. As you said, Perspicua vera non sunt probanda.

• Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 9th Aug 18, 7:50 AM
    • 7,293 Posts
    • 6,058 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    It would have been very easy for them to have given us the kwh price and standing charge price instead of expecting us to go hunting for it.
    Originally posted by t0rt0ise
    The prices differ depending on area. A link to their tariffs and clearly naming the new tariff rather than referring to "our cheapest tariff" would have been much clearer.
    https://octopus.energy/tariffs/
    Flexible Octopus June 2018 v1

• t0rt0ise
    • By t0rt0ise 9th Aug 18, 9:37 AM
    • 3,058 Posts
    • 1,923 Thanks
    t0rt0ise
    I've just got into my new account. My address is strange with the road written three times. It also has the electricity prices but no mention of gas. Not that I can't find them but I wonder if they've forgotten about gas. In the Iresa account gas wasn't updated to 1st August like elec was.
    Last edited by t0rt0ise; 09-08-2018 at 9:39 AM.
    • Worried of wakefield
    • By Worried of wakefield 9th Aug 18, 9:46 AM
    • 60 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    Worried of wakefield
    energy firm ceases trading
    Dont under any circumstance try Together energy as an alternative, nearly tried Iresa last year but the poor reviews put me off, wish I had gone with them, cant believe they are as bad as Together energy, 10 months now, 25+ phone calls, 60+ emails, succesful claim through the Ombudsman and still no invoice, the only thing that worked was to get hold of an operative threaten to send letters to his directors and to bombard review sites with negative ( but truthful) reviews. Recieved first invoice last week suggesting I was £700 in debit, further phone calls generated a second bill showing me £90 in credit. This company is going the same way as Iresa I'm sure
    • SuiDreams
    • By SuiDreams 9th Aug 18, 9:51 AM
    • 2,291 Posts
    • 10,282 Thanks
    SuiDreams
    I've just got into my new account. My address is strange with the road written three times. It also has the electricity prices but no mention of gas. Not that I can't find them but I wonder if they've forgotten about gas. In the Iresa account gas wasn't updated to 1st August like elec was.
    Originally posted by t0rt0ise

Have you been sent log in details?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

54Posts Today

3,307Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin