Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Andrew
      Verified User verified user
    • By MSE Andrew Verified User verified user 27th Jul 18, 11:43 AM
    • 94Posts
    • 25Thanks
    MSE Andrew
    MSE News: Energy firm Iresa ceases trading - here's what it means for customers
    • 27th Jul 18, 11:43 AM
    MSE News: Energy firm Iresa ceases trading - here's what it means for customers 27th Jul 18 at 11:43 AM
    Beleaguered energy supplier Iresa, which has tens of thousand of customers, has ceased trading...
    Read the full story:
    'Energy firm Iresa ceases trading - here's what it means for customers'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven!!!8217;t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Andrew; 16-08-2018 at 1:16 PM.
Page 5
    • gardner1
    • By gardner1 6th Aug 18, 7:40 PM
    • 2,754 Posts
    • 4,098 Thanks
    gardner1
    To be honest if we all took Trustpilot at face value nobody would ever do any business with any company ever again.
    Originally posted by Neil Jones
    Absolutely agree.........who reviews the review sites
    • ProDave
    • By ProDave 6th Aug 18, 8:37 PM
    • 1,125 Posts
    • 1,366 Thanks
    ProDave
    I suspect that the directors of Octopus will be getting quite depressed today - the email that they have sent out to Iresa customers gives 4 options for your future utility arrangements - any bets that the vast majority will plump for options 3 and 4? ie move away from Octoplus as soon as possible
    Originally posted by brewerdave
    I suspect most, like me, have not replied. I am keeping my powder dry until I know exactly what Octopus are offering me.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 6th Aug 18, 9:17 PM
    • 19,721 Posts
    • 13,919 Thanks
    molerat
    I suspect most, like me, have not replied. I am keeping my powder dry until I know exactly what Octopus are offering me.
    Originally posted by ProDave
    You can see exactly what Octopus are offering you by consulting any one of the switching sites or getting a quote from the Octopus site. You are being placed on their cheapest (variable) tariff, Flexible Octopus.
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 7th Aug 18, 8:37 AM
    • 5,241 Posts
    • 2,321 Thanks
    brewerdave
    Originally posted by ProDave

Out of interest, I just input the Octopus "offer" into my spreadsheets for my usage. It would cost me over 320 more for both utilities!
    As my gas is elsewhere on a fix til Sept 2019, I'm only looking for leccy -that would cost 160 more pa. Currently I could go with SSE/SWALEC on a one year fix which would cost me 100pa more, so a no brainer really to leave Octoplus asap
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 7th Aug 18, 2:36 PM
    • 859 Posts
    • 507 Thanks
    Mister G
    Thanks for this link. It certain provides better prices than the CEC site.

Looks like it's going to cost me an extra 50 pa. with Simplicity.

Octopus are going to want 200 pa. more than I was paying Iresa!

Let's hope they allow the switch quickly, I can imagine that they'll want to hang onto me as long as possible.

I was with Iresa for just on a year and found them absolutely fine - no problems whatsoever. Shame they've gone.
    Originally posted by Mister G
    Ah! Just discovered that Simplicity only do dual fuel. Not having mains gas (rural) means I'll have to rule them out. Shame as it was a good price.

Next best was Usio, but only if you don't have a smart meter already (which I do).

Finally looking at Yorkshire Energy, which is going to cost me about 80 a year more, but still cheaper than the 200 that Octopus will charge me!
    • Limara
    • By Limara 7th Aug 18, 9:43 PM
    • 208 Posts
    • 130 Thanks
    Limara
    Just want unit prices !!!!!!
    I am so sick and fed up with entering details to show how much I will save BUT when the unit price and the standing charge for both Gas and Electric is considerably more than Iresa how on the earth can any of them be a saving! ( Its always done this long before switch over so its not even taking into account the new prices)
    • castle96
    • By castle96 8th Aug 18, 8:58 AM
    • 1,714 Posts
    • 293 Thanks
    castle96
    Just had email from Oct requesting meter reads
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 8th Aug 18, 9:08 AM
    • 5,241 Posts
    • 2,321 Thanks
    brewerdave
    Just had email from Oct requesting meter reads
    Originally posted by castle96

I suspect its going to get ever more messy -I've had the same email from Octopus.

I've already got my own reading from 31st July late pm accepted on Iresa site ,together with calculated charges. But also on the Iresa site is the "Deemed (Settlement Registers) or Estimated (Non-Settlement Registers)" figure for1st August which is actually lower!.
    If I give a current reading for 8th August it will be high enough to wipe out the remaining credit from Iresa -so does that mean I will owe the administrators of Iresa money?
    Think I'll just give Octopus the reading from 31st July to keep it simples!!
    • molerat
    • By molerat 8th Aug 18, 9:24 AM
    • 19,721 Posts
    • 13,919 Thanks
    molerat
    Just had the same. They have put a deemed reading for 1st Aug on the readings page which is close enough and I have used that, keeps things simple.
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
    • beardiedog
    • By beardiedog 8th Aug 18, 9:29 AM
    • 631 Posts
    • 241 Thanks
    beardiedog
    I suspect its going to get ever more messy -I've had the same email from Octopus.

I've already got my own reading from 31st July late pm accepted on Iresa site ,together with calculated charges. But also on the Iresa site is the "Deemed (Settlement Registers) or Estimated (Non-Settlement Registers)" figure for1st August which is actually lower!.
    If I give a current reading for 8th August it will be high enough to wipe out the remaining credit from Iresa -so does that mean I will owe the administrators of Iresa money?
    Think I'll just give Octopus the reading from 31st July to keep it simples!!
    Originally posted by brewerdave
    I too debated whether to input today's readings but then thought that it might complicate matters as I'd already input the 1st August readings into Iresa.
    • gardner1
    • By gardner1 8th Aug 18, 10:05 AM
    • 2,754 Posts
    • 4,098 Thanks
    gardner1
    I too debated whether to input today's readings but then thought that it might complicate matters as I'd already input the 1st August readings into Iresa.
    Originally posted by beardiedog
    It tells you at bottom of email to use Aug 1st reading
    • Alias_Omega
    • By Alias_Omega 8th Aug 18, 10:37 AM
    • 7,243 Posts
    • 3,940 Thanks
    Alias_Omega
    I am so sick and fed up with entering details to show how much I will save BUT when the unit price and the standing charge for both Gas and Electric is considerably more than Iresa how on the earth can any of them be a saving! ( Its always done this long before switch over so its not even taking into account the new prices)
    Originally posted by Limara
    Yeah,

I have created a quick spreadsheet. Simple maths... 1000kwh per month (unrealistic) and 31 days per month. Makes easy maths..

I currently have -

Iresa Flex 5
    Elec = 119.46 per month
    Gas = 32.60 per month

Yorkshire (Butterfly 12M)
    Elec = 130.11 pm
    Gas = 33.86 pm

Bulb (Variable)
    Elec = 131.51 pm
    Gas = 35.73 pm

Octopus (Variable)
    Elec = 149.82 pm
    Gas = 34.51 pm

Im going to keep going...

Prices are based in Yorkshire / Lincolnshire.

• beardiedog
    • By beardiedog 8th Aug 18, 10:42 AM
    • 631 Posts
    • 241 Thanks
    beardiedog
    It tells you at bottom of email to use Aug 1st reading
    Originally posted by gardner1
    I know, it also says if you don't have the readings from 1st August, use today's or the nearest you have to the 1st August.

It was just an initial thought that I might get an extra few days at Iresa rates but then decided it wasn't the right thing to do considering I'd already input readings last week.
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 8th Aug 18, 10:52 AM
    • 859 Posts
    • 507 Thanks
    Mister G
    Like others, I had the Octopus email this morning.

Looking at my last Iresa statement on line, it showed a 'deemed' reading of 21875 on 1st August. I had sent them a reading on 26th July showing an actual 21783, so their 'deemed' guess wasn't far out.

My actual reading on 1st August was 21880, so that was the reading that I sent them today. I am in credit to the tune of about 90, so hopefully will get some sort of refund once I leave them.

I can't wait for 21st August! Yorkshire Energy here I come!
    • beardiedog
    • By beardiedog 8th Aug 18, 11:05 AM
    • 631 Posts
    • 241 Thanks
    beardiedog
    Like others, I had the Octopus email this morning.

Looking at my last Iresa statement on line, it showed a 'deemed' reading of 21875 on 1st August. I had sent them a reading on 26th July showing an actual 21783, so their 'deemed' guess wasn't far out.

My actual reading on 1st August was 21880, so that was the reading that I sent them today. I am in credit to the tune of about 90, so hopefully will get some sort of refund once I leave them.

I can't wait for 21st August! Yorkshire Energy here I come!
    Originally posted by Mister G
    I'm 200 in credit at the moment.

My deemed reading for electric is 4 higher than mine, haven't got one for gas as yet.
    • SuiDreams
    • By SuiDreams 8th Aug 18, 11:15 AM
    • 2,313 Posts
    • 10,295 Thanks
    SuiDreams
    Yeah,

I have created a quick spreadsheet. Simple maths... 1000kwh per month (unrealistic) and 31 days per month. Makes easy maths..

I currently have -

Iresa Flex 5
    Elec = 119.46 per month
    Gas = 32.60 per month

Yorkshire (Butterfly 12M)
    Elec = 130.11 pm
    Gas = 33.86 pm

Bulb (Variable)
    Elec = 131.51 pm
    Gas = 35.73 pm

Octopus (Variable)
    Elec = 149.82 pm
    Gas = 34.51 pm

Im going to keep going...

Prices are based in Yorkshire / Lincolnshire.
    Originally posted by Alias_Omega

Wouldn't you be better basing it on actual annual use age and 365 days? Different tariffs are best for high medium and low users, some are better going for a low standing charge and slightly higher unit rate and some the other way round. Work out annual price divide by 12 to get monthly cost and you'll have a better comparison.
    • Alias_Omega
    • By Alias_Omega 8th Aug 18, 11:19 AM
    • 7,243 Posts
    • 3,940 Thanks
    Alias_Omega
    Wouldn't you be better basing it on actual annual use age and 365 days? Different tariffs are best for high medium and low users, some are better going for a low standing charge and slightly higher unit rate and some the other way round. Work out annual price divide by 12 to get monthly cost and you'll have a better comparison.
    Originally posted by SuiDreams
    No, my rates are for me. Each person should do their own calculations.

I do it month-month, as my energy usage is up and down. In summer, its really low..in the winter...its excessive and i have to lock the Nest Thermostat to 20 degrees as Mrs AO things its good to be on 23-25 degrees 24/7.

• SuiDreams
    • By SuiDreams 8th Aug 18, 11:24 AM
    • 2,313 Posts
    • 10,295 Thanks
    SuiDreams
    No, my rates are for me. Each person should do their own calculations.

I do it month-month, as my energy usage is up and down. In summer, its really low..in the winter...its excessive and i have to lock the Nest Thermostat to 20 degrees as Mrs AO things its good to be on 23-25 degrees 24/7.
    Originally posted by Alias_Omega

Everyone's energy varies month by month which is why I always do the calculation for the full year based o what I actually use in a year and compare that. I suppose its why you have based your figures on 1 months usage rather than full 12 month actual that is confusing me, I want implying that you were giving comparisons for everyone to use, it was that you were doing a comparison on (in your own words) "unrealistic" figures.
    • Alias_Omega
    • By Alias_Omega 8th Aug 18, 11:34 AM
    • 7,243 Posts
    • 3,940 Thanks
    Alias_Omega
    My energy is up and down -

Cold Fill Washing Machine and Dishwasher.
    Tumble Dryer
    Electric Oven and Hob
    Gas only for heating/hot water

Depending on how much usage these get, this will reflect my energy usage. Most things in the house are now energy saving, with the exception of a 500w PIR light on the garage.

I could do a 12 month, best guess....my energy usage would probably be the same for Electric (as we use a dryer all year), but Gas goes through the room in winter...

• lewisa
    • By lewisa 8th Aug 18, 11:57 AM
    • 255 Posts
    • 369 Thanks
    lewisa
    Originally posted by Limara
    I guess I've been switching for about 10 years now, from a starting point of approx 1000p.a. dual fuel bill.

Every year the comparison exclaims "You will save [between 100-200] compared to your current tariff!"

By now my energy should be at worst free, and at best the energy companies should be paying me 1k a year.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

287Posts Today

1,339Users online

Martin's Twitter