Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mrchrisbrogan
    • By mrchrisbrogan 26th Jul 18, 9:06 PM
    • 79Posts
    • 13Thanks
    mrchrisbrogan
    Cashless Society
    • 26th Jul 18, 9:06 PM
    Cashless Society 26th Jul 18 at 9:06 PM
    What is everyone’s thoughts on a cashless society?

Do you think we will see it in our lifetime?

Personally I never carry cash and withdraw only specifically if I need cash for somewhere that does not take card.

Recently there are a few retailers in Westfield London who are completely cashless and also British airways. These are the only ones I have come across so far.

I struggle to see the benefit of cash at all.

If I withdraw 10.00 for a 7.00 club entry or something I squander the 3 pounds. Whereas if I could pay on card I’d only spend 7. For me cash makes me spend more.
Page 4
    • bobblebob
    • By bobblebob 30th Jul 18, 5:46 PM
    • 525 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    bobblebob
    I don't think the trend is quite as marked as in Sweden.

I've just come back from Belgium where contactless was almost no existant .
    Originally posted by Robin9

Its slowly going that way tho. There are pubs now and a car parts shop near me that only accept card payments. Imagine saying that 5 years ago
    • Wellard Mann
    • By Wellard Mann 30th Jul 18, 5:54 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    Wellard Mann
    Iceland is another country that seems to be well on its way to being cashless. I didn't take any currency with me and didn't withdraw any from an ATM whilst there - in fact the only ATM I saw was at the airport, though admittedly I wasn't looking elsewhere. I paid for everything on a card. The smallest transaction being 50p on a parking meter. I didn't notice anybody using cash anywhere.
    • Bettie
    • By Bettie 30th Jul 18, 6:02 PM
    • 1,039 Posts
    • 1,185 Thanks
    Bettie
    Sometimes when I spend money I wish to keep my anonymity.
    • Sapphire
    • By Sapphire 30th Jul 18, 7:33 PM
    • 2,187 Posts
    • 4,040 Thanks
    Sapphire
    The wages comment was a general thing not specifically aimed at you. But if you wanted you could refuse all payment methods and choose to receive cash only. But you obviously realise that would significantly reduce your income so see the benefit of offering to receive payments electronically.

What on earth are you talking about? Choosing to receive cash only would not 'significantly reduce my income'.

The rest of your post makes you sound like a paranoid person!. You obviously don't understand what "cookies" are and by logging into this forum this very website has put one on your device.
    If you haven't already burned your computer after reading that sentence then you can actually set your browser to delete all cookies after each session, so if that's all your worried about then problem solved.

Indeed. I am becoming paranoid about appropriation of data by corporations, and yes, I do realise that by logging into this forum more than one cookie (not just 'one'), has instantly been put on my computer.

I do delete all cookies after each session, but as you must know, they reappear as soon as one starts using the computer.

No need for the rather silly comment about 'burning your computer'. I have as much right as you do to have an opinion. (In fact, I wouldn't have a computer at all if I didn't need it for work.) As I said, by all means carry on as you were, but don't expect everyone to agree with you, or be convinced by your 'arguments' and defence of the practices mentioned here.

• takman
    • By takman 30th Jul 18, 11:44 PM
    • 3,598 Posts
    • 3,221 Thanks
    takman
    What on earth are you talking about? Choosing to receive cash only would not 'significantly reduce my income'.
    Originally posted by Sapphire
    Ok then if that is true then why don't you insist on all payments in cash and refuse all cheques and payment by bank transfer ?

Indeed. I am becoming paranoid about appropriation of data by corporations, and yes, I do realise that by logging into this forum more than one cookie (not just 'one'), has instantly been put on my computer.

I do delete all cookies after each session, but as you must know, they reappear as soon as one starts using the computer.

No need for the rather silly comment about 'burning your computer'. I have as much right as you do to have an opinion. (In fact, I wouldn't have a computer at all if I didn't need it for work.) As I said, by all means carry on as you were, but don't expect everyone to agree with you, or be convinced by your 'arguments' and defence of the practices mentioned here.
    Originally posted by Sapphire
    Deleted cookies don't re-appear, you only get new ones if you start using a web browser.
    You can also only get cookies from sites you visit and they don't randomly get sent to your computer.

Your free to have an opinion and I didn't say your wern't but my opinion is that you sound paranoid, which you agreed with me on. You do realise being paranoid means you have an unfounded feeling of persecution, which isn't a good thing.
    • bobblebob
    • By bobblebob 7th Aug 18, 9:28 PM
    • 525 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    bobblebob
    I think we will see things like pay and display machines (alot already have), vending machines and train tickets machines going over to card only. Saves someone having to fill them up with cash which is also safer
    • Mrs_Ryan
    • By Mrs_Ryan 8th Aug 18, 12:16 AM
    • 10,634 Posts
    • 20,149 Thanks
    Mrs_Ryan
    I hate cash as I am severely dyscalculic- I can identify notes by colour but when it comes to checking my change- not a hope. On the rare occasions I have cash I usually end up with a purse full of coins as I struggle to count out the correct money. I had about twenty five quid the other week, I gave them to OH to count and he swapped me for notes but the vicious circle started again. I use Apple Pay or contactless for everything , I used to have a Chip and Sign but I had such problems with it that now I have a pattern I follow with my fingers which tells me my PIN. My life would be considerably easier if everywhere accepted contactless!
    Very proud to be Open University BA (Hons) English Lang and Lit Graduate! MA English dissertation- Complete! Now the waiting starts...
    Strictly 2018 Go Mr R! #teamLee
    Miss you JV and TW
    Sponsor and season ticket holder for 2018/2019!
    Elle
    • peterbaker
    • By peterbaker 8th Aug 18, 12:41 AM
    • 2,085 Posts
    • 821 Thanks
    peterbaker
    HMG might go broke if it can't issue cheques for current year tax rebates.

I can scarcely believe that in one phone call recently I triggered one rebate for last year that I could process online for electronic transfer, but was forced to await a cheque for the current year rebate they owed me. Both were similar four figure amounts.

Scandinavia has clearly adopted cards and mobile phone payments but until the recent pan-European directive, actively discriminated against credit cards. A walletful of cards is not the norm, nor is the need for multiple accounts with different banks. Funny that, eh? Maybe their banks don't have quite the same reputation for landing so many nasty surprises on customers quite so often?

Cash is still used by those that wish to use it - particularly those in their 70s and older who still count their cash each month into separate pots as a good discipline. Obviously every country has a black economy, and the UK's is probably a far greater phenomenon than most due to it being such a silly low wage economy. Paying your window cleaner by faster payments doesn't exactly support a black economy, now does it ?
    Last edited by peterbaker; 08-08-2018 at 12:55 AM.
    • Skippy13
    • By Skippy13 8th Aug 18, 12:37 PM
    • 128 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    Skippy13
    I think we will see things like pay and display machines (alot already have), vending machines and train tickets machines going over to card only. Saves someone having to fill them up with cash which is also safer
    Originally posted by bobblebob

Well they need to improve the pay and display machines, the ones in our car parks are awful. They accept cash or card but it's so much quicker to pay by cash.
    • Sapphire
    • By Sapphire 8th Aug 18, 2:54 PM
    • 2,187 Posts
    • 4,040 Thanks
    Sapphire
    Funnily enough, I'm using cash more rather than less of late.
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 8th Aug 18, 3:17 PM
    • 2,945 Posts
    • 1,951 Thanks
    Robin9
    Cash is still used by those that wish to use it - particularly those in their 70s and older who still count their cash each month into separate pots as a good discipline.
    Originally posted by peterbaker
    This 70 year old doesn't. He relishes contactless - I carry very little cash.

Is there anyone on this forum who counts into pots?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 8th Aug 18, 4:07 PM
    • 59,531 Posts
    • 52,834 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    HMG might go broke if it can't issue cheques for current year tax rebates.
    Originally posted by peterbaker
    Even the Treasury has to manage it's cashflow.

Cheques have always been a good way to obtain credit.
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • Vet
    • By Vet 8th Aug 18, 10:53 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Vet
    Theres always going to be a need for both - i.e. where theres no wifi for card payments/small business, Craft shops etc.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

60Posts Today

2,321Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin