Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • overcharged
    • By overcharged 26th Jul 18, 5:42 PM
    • 189Posts
    • 14Thanks
    overcharged
    NI reportage/documentary style wedding photographer recommendations?
    • 26th Jul 18, 5:42 PM
    NI reportage/documentary style wedding photographer recommendations? 26th Jul 18 at 5:42 PM
    Hi guys

Could you offer any Northern Ireland reportage/documentary style wedding photographer recommendations?

Getting married in March so am in the hunt for an excellent photographer now!

Defo want someone with an 'eye' for documentary style.

All suggestions would be truly appreciated!
    Last edited by overcharged; 27-07-2018 at 11:52 AM.
Page 1
    • Zola.
    • By Zola. 26th Jul 18, 9:12 PM
    • 1,352 Posts
    • 576 Thanks
    Zola.
    • 26th Jul 18, 9:12 PM
    • 26th Jul 18, 9:12 PM
    Why would you want your wedding to look like a documentary ?

What do you mean by that?
    • overcharged
    • By overcharged 27th Jul 18, 11:48 AM
    • 189 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    overcharged
    • 27th Jul 18, 11:48 AM
    • 27th Jul 18, 11:48 AM
    Why would you want your wedding to look like a documentary ?

What do you mean by that?
    Originally posted by Zola.

Naturalistic photos of people chatting, dancing, and not posing, off-guard. In addition to the regular posed ones of course.
    • In For A Penny
    • By In For A Penny 27th Jul 18, 11:55 AM
    • 339 Posts
    • 305 Thanks
    In For A Penny
    • 27th Jul 18, 11:55 AM
    • 27th Jul 18, 11:55 AM
    Hi guys

Could you offer any Northern Ireland reportage/documentary style wedding photographer recommendations?

Getting married in March so am in the hunt for an excellent photographer now!

Defo want someone with an 'eye' for documentary style.

All suggestions would be truly appreciated!
    Originally posted by overcharged
    We really didn't want lots of lined up, posed-for photos. (Wouldn't say we wanted a documentary/reporter style though!)

Went with Dylan McBurney as weren't disappointed. Meant we could just enjoy the day. Natural photos looked fantastic.
    • steveymp
    • By steveymp 30th Jul 18, 11:57 AM
    • 2,678 Posts
    • 3,104 Thanks
    steveymp
    • 30th Jul 18, 11:57 AM
    • 30th Jul 18, 11:57 AM
    Reportage is all the rage, but you still need the bread and butter posed shots that all brides expect. A rough geographical location of ceremony and after event may help as photographers will have favourite places and lesser known gems in certain areas of the country.

All photographers will do reportage, just avoid the ones that set their own agenda It's your day not an addition to their arty portfolio, meet any photographer first and see examples of their work. Getting a Photographer and if using one Videographer that have worked together previously is also important. If you want true reportage with the usual posed shots you will also be out the expense of a 2nd shooter, so bear that in mind when it comes to cost.
    I am trying, honest very trying according to my dear OH
    • overcharged
    • By overcharged 1st Aug 18, 2:06 PM
    • 189 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    overcharged
    • 1st Aug 18, 2:06 PM
    • 1st Aug 18, 2:06 PM
    Reportage is all the rage, but you still need the bread and butter posed shots that all brides expect. A rough geographical location of ceremony and after event may help as photographers will have favourite places and lesser known gems in certain areas of the country.

All photographers will do reportage, just avoid the ones that set their own agenda It's your day not an addition to their arty portfolio, meet any photographer first and see examples of their work. Getting a Photographer and if using one Videographer that have worked together previously is also important. If you want true reportage with the usual posed shots you will also be out the expense of a 2nd shooter, so bear that in mind when it comes to cost.
    Originally posted by steveymp

Great advice thank you, much appreciated
    • overcharged
    • By overcharged 1st Aug 18, 2:08 PM
    • 189 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    overcharged
    • 1st Aug 18, 2:08 PM
    • 1st Aug 18, 2:08 PM
    Is there a website where there are reviews of wedding photographers? Y'know like a five star rating for an excellent service received or whatever?
    • steveymp
    • By steveymp 2nd Aug 18, 11:48 AM
    • 2,678 Posts
    • 3,104 Thanks
    steveymp
    • 2nd Aug 18, 11:48 AM
    • 2nd Aug 18, 11:48 AM
    Is there a website where there are reviews of wedding photographers? Y'know like a five star rating for an excellent service received or whatever?
    Originally posted by overcharged
    Plenty of them through a google search, but remember that it is a paid advertising service that the photographer pays for and the site makes them look outstanding with 5 stars even if they aren't

Google, Facebook and local wedding shows are your best bet, photographers will have online presence with their own site and Facebook page to look through. I do advise meeting them in person thou and seeing examples of their work.

I know a lot of photographers in the North West and further afield and only really recommend 1 who is outstanding. I won't promote them on here as I don't want to be accused of anything underhand PM me if you want the details, they have great online and FB pages and are happy to travel anywhere in our wee country to accomodate your needs.
    I am trying, honest very trying according to my dear OH
    • joefizz
    • By joefizz 2nd Aug 18, 12:04 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 95 Thanks
    joefizz
    • 2nd Aug 18, 12:04 PM
    • 2nd Aug 18, 12:04 PM
    Ask to see photos from a recent, complete wedding in and around your budget/venue/ideas.
    Whats displayed online and in portfolios is usually a best of in terms of wedding budgets, time, etc.
    If wanting an album produced, ask to see the same, complete album, it will be the couples personal choice of images but will give you an idea of an actual finished product rather than one produced for show.

I wouldnt recommend you search for people through any internet ranking tools/searches etc. Word of mouth is the best recommendation and from someone who hired, not someone who knows or attended a wedding. I havent done a wedding in almost 10 years and still get called by people who were at the ones I did in the past asking if I still do weddings.
    A follow up to that is that you are probably up against it looking someone good for March. One of the reasons I stopped doing weddings was that people were wanting to book up to 5 years in advance! I was happy at a year or two ahead!
    • cooki2222
    • By cooki2222 7th Aug 18, 10:10 AM
    • 501 Posts
    • 233 Thanks
    cooki2222
    Check out these guys

http://www.wearethelous.com/

They did our wedding and the photos were fab!
    • overcharged
    • By overcharged 7th Aug 18, 1:54 PM
    • 189 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    overcharged
    All terrific advice and tips -- am really glad I asked now, thank you so much guys!
    • overcharged
    • By overcharged 8th Aug 18, 8:52 AM
    • 189 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    overcharged
    Check out these guys

http://www.wearethelous.com/

They did our wedding and the photos were fab!
    Originally posted by cooki2222

Anyone know of any other wedding photographers similar to these guys?

They seem ideal. Contacted them and awaiting word back.

But other similar recommendations would be really appreciated in case these guys are booked up.

Edit: They were booked but they recommended another photographer throughthewoodsweran.co.uk who I'm hoping to hear back from -- know of anyone similar in Northern Ireland?
    Last edited by overcharged; 09-08-2018 at 10:16 AM.
    • overcharged
    • By overcharged 21st Sep 18, 8:19 AM
    • 189 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    overcharged
    We went with Esther Irvine in the end - her work looks great and she's absolutely sound.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,499Posts Today

7,017Users online

Martin's Twitter