Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • alandaniel132
    • By alandaniel132 26th Jul 18, 12:49 PM
    • 76Posts
    • 4Thanks
    alandaniel132
    How long does it take to get back my deposit?
    • 26th Jul 18, 12:49 PM
    How long does it take to get back my deposit? 26th Jul 18 at 12:49 PM
    My tenancy agreement end on last Monday, and my deposit is protect by "MyDeposit" mydeposits.co.uk.

How long does it take to get back my deposit? and also do I need to write the LA?

My LA is slow in response anything which is my side.
    When they want money, they will send me email. But if I want to ask them anything, they response slow (especially after I make the payment)
Page 2
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 6th Aug 18, 2:28 PM
    • 3,600 Posts
    • 3,438 Thanks
    Comms69
    the point i tried to make was they made up a list of repairs, saying things were damaged and they wasnt, created a fake company name and invoice to try get me out of deposit. pretty underhand tactics i think.
    Originally posted by Grezz24

Yes but that's what the schemes are for, to adjudicate when there are disputes.
    • alandaniel132
    • By alandaniel132 6th Aug 18, 2:32 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    alandaniel132
    What on earth are you talking about?

THEY ALREADY HAVE THE DEPOSIT!

Literally the last time i'm saying this - start a claim with the scheme!
    Originally posted by Comms69
    I mean can LA bank in the deposit to me without letting me know what is the items of deduction in my deposit due to damage or wear and tear?
    • PokerPlayer111
    • By PokerPlayer111 6th Aug 18, 2:32 PM
    • 269 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    PokerPlayer111
    mine took 3 months. - anecdotal evidence is as useful as a chocolate teapot.

If the chocolate teapot was crafted well you can probably sell it to compensate for waiting for your deposit.

Did they make any deduction on your deposit?
    Originally posted by alandaniel132

No they took a week before they even did the final inspection and the property is 5 minutes from the letting agent office.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 6th Aug 18, 2:36 PM
    • 3,600 Posts
    • 3,438 Thanks
    Comms69
    I mean can LA bank in the deposit to me without letting me know what is the items of deduction in my deposit due to damage or wear and tear?
    Yes and you can then dispute the rest
    • alandaniel132
    • By alandaniel132 6th Aug 18, 2:36 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    alandaniel132
    If the chocolate teapot was crafted well you can probably sell it to compensate for waiting for your deposit.

No they took a week before they even did the final inspection and the property is 5 minutes from the letting agent office.
    Originally posted by PokerPlayer111
    So LA will sent you a email saying what item they want to deduct OR even no deduction before we tenant can agree, and then LA only deposit the deposit back to tenant?
    • alandaniel132
    • By alandaniel132 6th Aug 18, 2:44 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    alandaniel132
    Yes and you can then dispute the rest
    Okay, i worry LA want to hide the deduction from me, straight asking me to agree the deduction of deposit.
    • PokerPlayer111
    • By PokerPlayer111 6th Aug 18, 2:45 PM
    • 269 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    PokerPlayer111
    So LA will sent you a email saying what item they want to deduct OR even no deduction before we tenant can agree, and then LA only deposit the deposit back to tenant?

I went in the office a few days ago and was super nice with them but also firm. They said if they have any issues with the property they would speak with me before any deductions. They said they'd be doing the inspection later that day.

A week went by they still hadn't done inspection so had to ring and nudge them.

Today i got an email saying deposit to be returned in full no deductions. Wait 3 days for payment to clear.

Depends who you are dealing with... if you think letting agents are crooks you need to speak with deposit protection scheme i guess - i've never had to do that.

The last time i had a problem with a deposit was 10+ years ago before the deposit protection scheme even existed and i had to record the landlord saying he owed me the money and then threated them with small claims court action (got deposit back the next day).
    Last edited by PokerPlayer111; 06-08-2018 at 2:49 PM.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 6th Aug 18, 2:53 PM
    • 3,600 Posts
    • 3,438 Thanks
    Comms69
    I went in the office a few days ago and was super nice with them but also firm. They said if they have any issues with the property they would speak with me before any deductions. They said they'd be doing the inspection later that day.

A week went by they still hadn't done inspection so had to ring and nudge them.

Today i got an email saying deposit to be returned in full no deductions. Wait 3 days for payment to clear.

Depends who you are dealing with... if you think letting agents are crooks you need to speak with deposit protection scheme i guess - i've never had to do that.

The last time i had a problem with a deposit was 10+ years ago before the deposit protection scheme even existed and i had to record the landlord saying he owed me the money and then threated them with small claims court action (got deposit back the next day).
    Well since letting agents are not party to your contract - whether their crooks or not is largely irrelevant.

The schemes exist for a reason.

(your contract is with your landlord)
    • PokerPlayer111
    • By PokerPlayer111 6th Aug 18, 2:58 PM
    • 269 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    PokerPlayer111
    Well since letting agents are not party to your contract - whether their crooks or not is largely irrelevant.

The schemes exist for a reason.

(your contract is with your landlord)

What if LA manage the property and the landlord is not doing the final inspection? If they aren't crooks all you got to do is keep them sweet. We left the place with marks on the walls, dirty lamp shades we didn't want to touch - small things but they could have took issue with.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 6th Aug 18, 3:02 PM
    • 3,600 Posts
    • 3,438 Thanks
    Comms69
    What if LA manage the property and the landlord is not doing the final inspection? If they aren't crooks all you got to do is keep them sweet. We left the place with marks on the walls, dirty lamp shades we didn't want to touch - small things but they could have took issue with.

Irrelevant.

Letting agents work for the landlord. If they have failed to deduct from your deposit when they should have. They've committed a serious offence.

Agency law is very clear they must act, always, to the benefit of their client.
    • PokerPlayer111
    • By PokerPlayer111 6th Aug 18, 3:05 PM
    • 269 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    PokerPlayer111
    Well maybe i should have gone direct to DPS then idk. Was under the impression i had to speak to LA to get deposit back.

Anyway good luck OP.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 6th Aug 18, 3:06 PM
    • 3,600 Posts
    • 3,438 Thanks
    Comms69
    Well maybe i should have gone direct to DPS then idk. Was under the impression i had to speak to LA to get deposit back.

Anyway good luck OP.
    Not unless they've got a gun to your head.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,361Posts Today

8,523Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin