Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 26th Jul 18, 11:14 AM
    • 316Posts
    • 686Thanks
    SSDD23
    Changing for good!
    • 26th Jul 18, 11:14 AM
    Changing for good! 26th Jul 18 at 11:14 AM
    Hello MSE!

Not my first time posting a DFD, but hopefully the last. I did originally have a few grand knocked off of my debt total which I was really proud of, but in trying to keep up with my partner and be able to keep doing stuff with my life I ended up with a few more short term loans and credit cards, and looking at the fact my debt repayments will now be around a third of my wage for at least the rest of this year, I've had enough. My partner and I are due to have a serious conversation about things in general tonight so will just tell him I really cannot afford to keep doing things the way we are, so for the time being we need to be frugal together but he can do as he wishes the rest of his time.

Currently as it stands I have:
    CC1 - 1380 paid at 60pm which just about knocks some money off every month
    CC2 - 117 which gets around 15pm and slowly decreases
    CC3 - 234 25 pm paid
    Lantern - 2 defaulted debts from 2014 ish paid 5 p/m each until I can offer settlements - combined 628 but know I can settle for 300 maximum combined
    Satsuma (I know) - 2 loans total 1396 paid at 149 pm
    Myjar (I know) - 297 paid around 50pm
    Family Loan - 821 repaying 121.50 pm

There is also another old debt kicking around but it's not with the phone company and the debt collection company they said they sold it to have no knowledge of it, just waiting for that to finally surface with the debt collection company then will deal with that one.

So there we have it.... 4873. At 430 per month that's just over 11 months but even that is too long. I have considered approaching all the lenders and explaining I am in financial difficulty but I don't know where that would get me, and also the effect it would have on my credit file, but that to be honest is trashed anyway but I would like to avoid anything new because as it stands it will be clean in 4 years and I am hoping to be able to keep it that way to work towards a mortgage.

I have tried saving with online savers but it's too easy to ping the money back over straightaway when I want to buy something, so I have joined my local credit union and will save 50pm for the time being.

As it stands I'll be debt free within a year as long as I don't take out any more credit. I just need my partner to be on the same level with understanding I really need to not spend any money unnecessarily, which he should get on board with.

That's enough of the essay for now, time to look forwards, join some challenges and smash this debt!
Page 6
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 1st Oct 18, 11:29 AM
    • 316 Posts
    • 686 Thanks
    SSDD23
    Rough balances as they stand:
    CC1 - 1249.79 - DD is 45 at the mo to give breathing room now I have started paying into my pension (which is something I thought I was already doing) so budget is now 90 tighter
    CC2 (previously CC3) - 100 but also used for petrol now for points, 25 min payment
    Lantern Debts x 2 - 589.21 (5 each per month)
    Satsuma - 1000 ish, 149 per month
    Family Loan - 456.50. (This is two separate loans from two people, one has 100 remaining which is 2 payments and the rest to another family member)

Money made in October: 93.30/50.00 // October NSDs: 14/15
    Total Debt: 5408.90 Total Repaid: 1477.50 Total Savings: 50.00
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 2nd Oct 18, 4:00 PM
    • 316 Posts
    • 686 Thanks
    SSDD23
    OH has booked our flights to go see my parents in Australia for my birthday next year, not much you can do about the cost for when we are going, but I did book by clicking through TCB so should get around 30 back in cashback
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 8th Oct 18, 11:12 AM
    • 316 Posts
    • 686 Thanks
    SSDD23
    All quiet here so far, 100 sitting in my savings and I can't remember the last time I had that, so that makes me happy

Did panic I was going to need it for the car as it started making a noise but it's yet to make it again so I don't think I need to worry about it just yet

No overpayments as yes, survey slogging is slowwww but hopefully will pick up soon. Also looking into a few other ways I can try and make a bit of money here and there, and I really, really must look at what I've got at home that I can sell
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 10th Oct 18, 10:07 AM
    • 316 Posts
    • 686 Thanks
    SSDD23
    I am feeling very positive today, I got up and went to the gym for the first time in a long time, I've been feeling really run down and a bit depressed of late but I knew making myself go would help, and it has, I feel very bubbly and upbeat

I had a clear-out of what I call the cupboard of doom yesterday, it's my wardrobe which is essentially half of a cupboard in a wall, and because it's not easy to get into due to my double bed taking up most of my bedroom, and it having an outward opening door, it generally contains shoes and clothes that I don't wear crammed in, and things generally fall out when pulling out a item of clothing I need (the rest of my clothes are in drawers that give me easier access)

I filled a whole charity bag last night with shoes that I don't wear from the bottom of the cupboard, so it is now safe to open it again I also realised I have a lot of ankle boots, and a pair of Converse I had forgotten that I owned, so that was a nice surprise. I also finally put in my prom dress from years ago that was a hand me down and I don't have any use for, that cleared out some of the room too. I also threw away a surprising amount of shoes that are well past their prime, and a lot of shoes where I only had one of the pair! Shocking!

The de-cluttering will continue in bits and bobs, we don't have a massive bin at home for the amount of rubbish we seem to get through, so anything that needs throwing I need to bring in my car to work and put in the many big bins there, so little bits here and there is easier than trying to shift multiple black bags worth of stuff

I have sent off the paperwork for the amount in my old workplace pension to be transferred to my new workplace pension, so that at least everything is all in the same place for now

Trying to get a few little tasks done everyday so that I don't feel I've wasted my days, which is easy to feel when you have a job as quiet as mine!
    • litepay
    • By litepay 10th Oct 18, 12:46 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    litepay
    it feels like I wrote this myself... well done on the gym and on the de-cluttering!

I am feeling very positive today, I got up and went to the gym for the first time in a long time, I've been feeling really run down and a bit depressed of late but I knew making myself go would help, and it has, I feel very bubbly and upbeat
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 10th Oct 18, 12:58 PM
    • 316 Posts
    • 686 Thanks
    SSDD23
    it feels like I wrote this myself... well done on the gym and on the de-cluttering!
    Originally posted by litepay
    It's a naff cycle I kind of have to force myself out of at some point.. thank you it helps to have felt like I've done productive things
    • SavingAFuture
    • By SavingAFuture 10th Oct 18, 2:35 PM
    • 95 Posts
    • 185 Thanks
    SavingAFuture
    I too have a "sliding cupboard of doom" - got halfway with tackling it last weekend.
    I took everything out, felt totally overwhelmed so went for a cup of tea, then ended up just shoving it all back in before bed! Oops.
    Next time...
    Proudly on my debt free journey
    CC1: 0/2120.60 CC2: 1300/3239.99
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 10th Oct 18, 3:13 PM
    • 316 Posts
    • 686 Thanks
    SSDD23
    I too have a "sliding cupboard of doom" - got halfway with tackling it last weekend.
    I took everything out, felt totally overwhelmed so went for a cup of tea, then ended up just shoving it all back in before bed! Oops.
    Next time...
    Originally posted by SavingAFuture

It wouldn't be so bad if I had a proper wardrobe, but there's literally no room! Many a time I have opened the door to make a start on it, taken a look, and closed the door again
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 12th Oct 18, 9:36 AM
    • 316 Posts
    • 686 Thanks
    SSDD23
    So - confession time.

With OH's milestone birthday having been unprepared for by me, needing to see an injury person about my foot (turns out to be leg, ankle and foot), needing more supportive trainers, and needing something doing to my car, my debt has gone up A LOT.

Current figure I can work it as is 5400 ( I know )

The new debt is from CC's (all now either cut up or with OH) and some interest free debt on Very for a couple for months then it is gone.

I have sat down with him and gone through my budget and he has helped me work out how much I can put to debts without leaving myself short for the month (especially with pension payment going out now)

We looked at my budget as he will be moving from 1 bed flat to 3 bed house before Christmas and would like me to move in with him so we were working out my finances to see how practical it would be as I will need to use more fuel etc.

So, naughty SSDD23 with a lot more debt, but a more practical budget and I have made everyone aware I am doing a budget Christmas so I won't be spending a fortune on that by any means.

It's hard to keep accountable if I don't tell the truth on here though, so I thought it best to confess.

I am looking into ways to make extra money where I can and some of those are looking promising, so hopefully that'll help me still get debt free in a reasonable amount of time

(Don't shout at me
    • NelliePie
    • By NelliePie 12th Oct 18, 10:31 AM
    • 257 Posts
    • 554 Thanks
    NelliePie
    Of course we're not going to shout at you! Obviously more debt isn't ideal but there's always things that crop up. It sounds like you're being practical and realistic about a repayment plans - as remember to keep the level of debt manageable for your situation (although granted, the smaller the better) and be prepared for more unexpected expenses - this is what the emergency fund is for. And it's great that you have you OH support and are involving him.

Debt busting / budgeting / life is an ongoing process and needs reassessing at regular intervals. You have a bunch of skills and knowledge now you can use to your advantage. Just be conscious you don't let it slip too far, get cocky and end up back where you started.

I realise this post may sound a bit preachy and I don't mean it to be. I'm trying to be supportive. Keep reassessing when you need to and adjusting the plan and you'll be fine!

Good Luck!
    Little One's due date 18/12/18
    5/5/18 I became Mrs Pie
    FTB June '17 - 144k motrgage
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 12th Oct 18, 10:39 AM
    • 316 Posts
    • 686 Thanks
    SSDD23
    Thank you NelliePie

Yes I am looking to build my emergency fund quickly, splitting any extra money I make between paying to the savings and overpayments to debt

I have no intention of taking on anymore debt at all now, CC's are out of my hands, I can resist applying for anything more online, and things will financially get a little easier next year with my car insurance renewal etc so will have more wiggle room to make more overpayments then too

It will only get better from here
    • SavingAFuture
    • By SavingAFuture 12th Oct 18, 1:31 PM
    • 95 Posts
    • 185 Thanks
    SavingAFuture
    Definitely don't beat yourself up.
    Draw a line under it and start again.
    There is more than one path from A to B.
    Good luck with your new budget x
    Proudly on my debt free journey
    CC1: 0/2120.60 CC2: 1300/3239.99
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 12th Oct 18, 2:27 PM
    • 316 Posts
    • 686 Thanks
    SSDD23
    Thank you
    I have potentially made 7/8 from website testing today if it gets approved, if I can do a couple of those per week that's more money to debt payments/EF
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 12th Oct 18, 5:26 PM
    • 316 Posts
    • 686 Thanks
    SSDD23
    Well my first website test has been approved as I am getting notified about more tests available so that's good means I will have 7/8 being paid to me next Friday for the one I did today
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 13th Oct 18, 12:01 PM
    • 316 Posts
    • 686 Thanks
    SSDD23
    Another user test completed this morning, mobile one this time.

I'm happy with this so far as the first one I did took about 7 minutes so doing that worked out at 1 per minute, the mobile one I did today was no more than 5 minutes and they're quite enjoyable to do and good value for the time spent, so far anyway

OH has confirmed he wants to be in a new rented place by xmas and wants me with him so currently staring at all the stuff in my room and realising how much I don't want or need to take with me, so the next few weeks is going to be a hurricane of taking stuff to Charity shops and also selling what I can!
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 13th Oct 18, 9:52 PM
    • 316 Posts
    • 686 Thanks
    SSDD23
    One big bag of stuff already taken to the charity shop and loads of their bags picked up to fill - a whole drawer of makeup now condensed to a single makeup bag - all duplicates and shades I don't like removed!

I have a small pile of random products to work through, so currently sat with some foot moisturising socks on whilst trying various shades of nail polish on different fingernails

The plan is to do an hour or two a few times a week focusing on a different drawers/cupboards, and it should make light(er) work than trying to do mammoth sessions of decluttering.

Feeling very chilled, happy, and positive this evening and hopeful about the future
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 14th Oct 18, 12:23 PM
    • 57,418 Posts
    • 235,056 Thanks
    beanielou
    Found you

Glad that you are feeling chilled, happy, positive & happy

Keep going.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 15th Oct 18, 11:56 AM
    • 316 Posts
    • 686 Thanks
    SSDD23
    Hi beanielou

Not much to report so far today, caved in and purchased an umbrella from Asda as I'm sick of getting soaked walking to my car, so not the NSD I was hoping for.

I will however hopefully have someone collecting an item I am selling tomorrow, and that money will be put to one side to repay my nan the 100 remaining balance on the money she lent me, rather than 50 this payday and 50 next payday. It will be good to have a whole debt ticked off.

Pleased with how my foot is holding up following my last phsyio (it's a sports injury clinic I attend but that's more effort to type out) and whilst some discomfort/pain has come back in the days since I went, it's not fully come back since my appointment like it usually does. I have to do ankle mobility and strengthening exercises everyday, and he does deep tissue massage to help on the tendons between my toes that aren't moving as they should. The combination should help fix my tendon damage
    He is sure I will be running again by the end of the year which will mean I will have had nearly a whole year out, but by the end of the year is sooner than I was expecting so that makes me happy

Home after work to continue sifting through the millions of items I own to decide if I am going to donate/sell/bin. Strangely, I am enjoying it!
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 16th Oct 18, 10:07 AM
    • 316 Posts
    • 686 Thanks
    SSDD23
    Another positive day again today!

OH went to view a house yesterday that he really likes, so is going to fill in the application forms today. If all goes well, we will be living together in the new house in 6 weeks time

I have done another User Test this morning, hoping they all get approved as I got the feedback on my first one that it was rushed, the second one I did even quicker but it was for an app and the tasks were easy so I got through them quickly, if all 3 get approved that's around 23.00 made so far. If I can do 3 more by the 24th of October, I will basically have the money to have repaid my Nan in full, just from user testing.

Still waiting on surveys to be approved that have been sat there for a while, so basically a waiting game for everything at the minute, but at least I know it's coming

I need to buy a 16th birthday gift for my sister out of next months budget, but she has asked just for something small as I am driving 100 miles to go and see her for her birthday so she isn't expecting a big present on top of that.

I can't believe it's only Tuesday it feels like it should definitely be Thursday by now
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 17th Oct 18, 9:46 AM
    • 316 Posts
    • 686 Thanks
    SSDD23
    The item I sold online did not get collected yesterday, they have said they are coming today so I will be able to put that money aside and repay my Nan in full from that, and then the money I get from the user tests can be put aside into my NW account to decide what to do with at the end of the month, although it will probably go into savings for for this month as I had to take some out earlier in the month.

The decluttering is going well at home, two more small bags of rubbish cleared out last night, I have now gone through 6 x drawers and a bag of stuff that has always been hanging from my cupboard door has now disappeared too. The plan tonight is to go through another couple of small drawers, which will then just leave me one big drawer and the cupboard of doom to clutter. I have a small storage box by the side of my bed that needs sorting through but I can't imagine I'll keep much from that, it hasn't been opened in about a year.

All in good time too as OH is just waiting on his current landlord and employer references for the new place, shouldn't take too long, landlord is abroad but knows that he will be called for a reference so fingers crossed it will happen quickly.

Homemade chilli for dinner when I get home tonight which I made yesterday, very much looking forward to that!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,940Posts Today

7,173Users online

Martin's Twitter