Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 26th Jul 18, 11:14 AM
    • 66Posts
    • 170Thanks
    SSDD23
    Changing for good!
    • 26th Jul 18, 11:14 AM
    Changing for good! 26th Jul 18 at 11:14 AM
    Hello MSE!

Not my first time posting a DFD, but hopefully the last. I did originally have a few grand knocked off of my debt total which I was really proud of, but in trying to keep up with my partner and be able to keep doing stuff with my life I ended up with a few more short term loans and credit cards, and looking at the fact my debt repayments will now be around a third of my wage for at least the rest of this year, I've had enough. My partner and I are due to have a serious conversation about things in general tonight so will just tell him I really cannot afford to keep doing things the way we are, so for the time being we need to be frugal together but he can do as he wishes the rest of his time.

Currently as it stands I have:
    CC1 - 1380 paid at 60pm which just about knocks some money off every month
    CC2 - 117 which gets around 15pm and slowly decreases
    CC3 - 234 25 pm paid
    Lantern - 2 defaulted debts from 2014 ish paid 5 p/m each until I can offer settlements - combined 628 but know I can settle for 300 maximum combined
    Satsuma (I know) - 2 loans total 1396 paid at 149 pm
    Myjar (I know) - 297 paid around 50pm
    Family Loan - 821 repaying 121.50 pm

There is also another old debt kicking around but it's not with the phone company and the debt collection company they said they sold it to have no knowledge of it, just waiting for that to finally surface with the debt collection company then will deal with that one.

So there we have it.... 4873. At 430 per month that's just over 11 months but even that is too long. I have considered approaching all the lenders and explaining I am in financial difficulty but I don't know where that would get me, and also the effect it would have on my credit file, but that to be honest is trashed anyway but I would like to avoid anything new because as it stands it will be clean in 4 years and I am hoping to be able to keep it that way to work towards a mortgage.

I have tried saving with online savers but it's too easy to ping the money back over straightaway when I want to buy something, so I have joined my local credit union and will save 50pm for the time being.

As it stands I'll be debt free within a year as long as I don't take out any more credit. I just need my partner to be on the same level with understanding I really need to not spend any money unnecessarily, which he should get on board with.

That's enough of the essay for now, time to look forwards, join some challenges and smash this debt!
Page 2
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 30th Jul 18, 9:36 AM
    • 3,229 Posts
    • 17,179 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Impressed by the walk. I'm contemplating 4 miles today and that feels like a challenge, so 27

Have a positive day and chase that CU account up
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/March 2018=0 DEBT FREE 23/03/18
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 30th Jul 18, 9:48 AM
    • 66 Posts
    • 170 Thanks
    SSDD23
    Impressed by the walk. I'm contemplating 4 miles today and that feels like a challenge, so 27

Have a positive day and chase that CU account up
    Originally posted by doingitanyway
    We are doing a charity walk in 6 weeks that is 66 miles, I think I will be broken at the end if yesterday was anything to go by

Yes I will have to try and make it on Saturday again, they're open for 3 hours a day weekdays during my working hours
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 31st Jul 18, 9:21 AM
    • 66 Posts
    • 170 Thanks
    SSDD23
    Happy Tuesday!
    Payment to MyJar has gone out, so that's the first debt repayment for the month. Another few go out tomorrow and the credit cards will all have their direct debits paid by the third.
    I have a small cashout from PA that I've been sitting on in case I can get some more to cash out but it's been really quiet, so will be paying 6 off of my CC2 later on. A small overpayment, but an overpayment nonetheless.

My leftover money is being calculated shortly and will be transferred over to Monzo. I have two gifts to buy this month but they will be as budget friendly as possible - think I have budgeted 25 for both!

I need to log onto now tv over the next few days too I've had it super cheap for a few months after clicking through wanting to leave, and supposedly you can keep doing that so will look into it, and cancel if that's not the case.

On the plus side, I can walk much better today than I did yesterday, and OH re-drained my blister on the bottom of my right foot and it looks like it'll stay drained today so at least I can walk like a normal person he bought our head torches in Decathlon yesterday too so that's one less thing we need. I think all I need now is some trousers you can zip off into shorts, everything else I've already got. I do need to inspect my walking boots though and see if they are contributing to my blisters....
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 31st Jul 18, 12:00 PM
    • 407 Posts
    • 984 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    27 miles... My feet are hurting just thinking about it! Well done Hope it was fun!

I have been looking at the get into teaching website this weekend too, that is an avenue I would like to explore, and have thought about before but just missed the deadline last year
    This is something I've been looking at for ages but never got it together to progress with anything. Will maybe use you as my motivation haha!

Glad you got a Monzo The card is very bright but somehow I've lost it more than any of my other cards! I hope you find it useful for budgeting
    Total Debt : 625 / 7266.93
    Weight Loss: 17.3kg / 45kg
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 31st Jul 18, 12:16 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 170 Thanks
    SSDD23

Glad you got a Monzo The card is very bright but somehow I've lost it more than any of my other cards! I hope you find it useful for budgeting
    Originally posted by lonelyrat
    I like that you can allocate your budget in the app I think that will be an eye opener if not useful!

I think the teaching thing might have to be a DF goal... without a degree or living in London even the maintenance and tuition loans would be worse off every month. But it's nice to have something to work towards!

Here's an incentive for myself..

Just looked at what my finances would be like this time next year with no debt repayments, cheaper car insurance, and the device plan paid off of my phone contract.

I would have nearly 900 expendable per month! 900! So now I want nothing more than to get my skates on and get to that financial position quicker!

Thankfully, my first thought seeing that was "look how much I could save every month" as opposed to spend
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 31st Jul 18, 4:09 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 170 Thanks
    SSDD23
    Just remembered that as I changed the DD for CC2, the payment isn't due out until I've been paid again on the 31st of month, so isn't coming out of this months pay. However.. I'll be doing the 15 as a manual payment as I had budgeted for the money going out anyway! And I'll be making a small cashout from PA in the next week or so hopefully, so I can definitely get that balance down to around 70 with little to no effort! Anything I have left at the end of the month will come off of that too once I have been paid.

To do list finances wise for this week:
    - Make extra payments to CC2
    - Do Nectar Surveys so that I can bump my points upto 15 which will be used for petrol or a birthday gift
    - Go through items at home and see what I can stick on fleabay
    - Walk into work a few times a week to save petrol
    - Keep doing surveys
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 1st Aug 18, 8:20 AM
    • 66 Posts
    • 170 Thanks
    SSDD23
    Next chunk of debt payments have gone out, family loan, satsuma and lantern payments so currently standing at 326 paid out of 4873 my credit card direct debits go out tomorrow, so that'll bring it up to 410 paid, increasing with the OP's I make to CC2. Nearly 10% debt repaid already

Going to pay in some bagged 20ps later to make the monthly payment to CC2, and have already been onto NOW TV and got the discounted passes for another 4 months (about half price)
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 2nd Aug 18, 12:46 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 170 Thanks
    SSDD23
    15 of 20ps paid into my account yesterday and paid off of CC2, just waiting for that to show. Also got 10 from PA I'll be cashing out tomorrow to come off too, which will bring the balance down to below 70 that'll be more paid off in the last week or so than in the last 3 months should have it gone in a month or so easily.

All debt repayment DD's have gone out for the month, all I have left now is my disposable income in Monzo. Hoping to finish the month with a positive balance!
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 3rd Aug 18, 8:54 AM
    • 407 Posts
    • 984 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Yay! All sounds good You're doing so well! I think you can manage... I think having your spending money in the Monzo will help... Its so much easier to keep track of things I think!

Keep up the good work
    Total Debt : 625 / 7266.93
    Weight Loss: 17.3kg / 45kg
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 6th Aug 18, 3:56 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 170 Thanks
    SSDD23
    What a busy busy weekend!
    Fun filled and spending lots of time with family but late nights and early mornings... I loved it but lord am I exhausted!

It continues tonight with a birthday meal for someone then a final night meal for my parents heading back to Australia tomorrow.. I'm going to be so grateful (but of course sad) when life becomes routine again and I can have a lie-in at the weekend

Kept my spends down so far this month which is good, just going to keep plodding along
    • pidge04
    • By pidge04 6th Aug 18, 7:14 PM
    • 275 Posts
    • 483 Thanks
    pidge04
    Sounds like you are making really good, consistent progress!
    CC1 2400/599 CC2 3000/2299 CC3 600/448 LOAN 13,000/5462
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 7th Aug 18, 9:47 AM
    • 66 Posts
    • 170 Thanks
    SSDD23
    Sounds like you are making really good, consistent progress!
    Originally posted by pidge04
    Thank you pidge

I have started using Opinion Outpost as well as PA for surveys as I saw a few users talking about it and was surprised at how often they were cashing out the 2.50 minimum. I have cashed out 5 in the last few days (gone straight off CC2 today so the balance is now under 70!!) and requested another cash out just now so very happy with that site

I'm going to have a big clearout at home on Sunday as I think I have the day at home all to myself so I will have a lie in at OH's then drive home and have a big clear out. I have no reason not to, now that I have a car to be able to drop things to charity etc. OH and I will move in at some point together before the year is over so trying to declutter as I have a lot of stuff that I do not need!!

Happy that my first credit card will be cleared within the next month unless something godawful happens, and then the little survey pennies can start going on the next credit card!
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 8th Aug 18, 11:08 AM
    • 66 Posts
    • 170 Thanks
    SSDD23
    Cash out credited from Opinion Outpost and another 2.50 requested so thats 10 this week already, definitely my favourite alongside PA.

In credit file news, two of my CC's have written to say they will be increasing my credit limit. One CC is cut up and going to be paid off soon (CC2) and the other is being paid off and will be my petrol CC once it is. The good news here is not the extra available credit but it will drop my utilisation from what it is now (around 80%) to just over 50% so that will look a little healthier. And that percentage will just continue to drop which is nice

Only one DD left to be paid out for the month, so the bit of money I have left over is only really for sandwich stuff for work and the rest isn't really required for anything, so just going to see how little I can spend and then anything left over use for CC2 or into EF at the end of the month
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 9th Aug 18, 10:15 AM
    • 66 Posts
    • 170 Thanks
    SSDD23
    Final DD for the month has come out today, 5.50 cashed out from Paypal from Opinion Outpost, with interest that was added the balance is now 65.04 which is nearly half of the balance cleared already. I will have a small cash out from PA soon, and hopefully more from Opinion Outpost too. I am confident I can clear this card purely through surveys!

I do find this "little and often" payments to the CC's is keeping me motivated. I couldn't just pay the minimums and trust myself to make the budgeted small payments through the month though, so will stick with my repayments I have set and pay the extra as and when I can
    • NelliePie
    • By NelliePie 9th Aug 18, 10:44 AM
    • 209 Posts
    • 459 Thanks
    NelliePie
    You just do whatever works for you, you're going in the right direction.
    Keep going
    Little One's due date 18/12/18
    5/5/18 I became Mrs Pie
    FTB June '17 - 144k motrgage
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 9th Aug 18, 2:49 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 170 Thanks
    SSDD23
    You just do whatever works for you, you're going in the right direction.
    Keep going
    Originally posted by NelliePie
    Thank you NelliePie
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 10th Aug 18, 3:23 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 170 Thanks
    SSDD23
    Not much to report today, another 6.10 paid off CC2 so that balance is now under 60 which makes me very happy absolutely going to be cleared in a month without too much extra effort.

Will finally be going down to the CU tomorrow with my ID etc to open my account with them, as I finally have a Saturday with no plans other than to do whatever I want to do

Going to the cinema tomorrow night, I have decided I will probably go more often by going alone as it is a struggle to fit in time with OH to go but even with how little we go its worth have the cinema cards that we have. I just know it'll be even better value if I go by myself. At least then I wouldn't miss half of the films I want to see too...

I'll be seeing my Dad who is in town on Sunday night too, it was his birthday on Wednesday so will buy him a few drinks to celebrate
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 13th Aug 18, 11:01 AM
    • 66 Posts
    • 170 Thanks
    SSDD23
    Well that's another weekend been and gone!

I got down to my local Credit Union to finish setting up my account and I must admit it was a bit underwhelming. Didn't know where the online applications were kept so had to go through it all again, scanner didn't work, camera didn't work, I almost wanted to ask them if they needed some help getting organised! But if it's run by volunteers mostly and (it seems) the key person doesn't work at the weekend so must not grumble too much. I had to ask again before I left how to set up the payments to the savings account, and the website online requires a pin which I didn't get so I need to phone and ask what that is, but at least I now have the 50 SO set up to my savings account with them

CC2 now officially stands at 65.04 which, although it isn't a massive amount paid off, is nearly half of the total when I started and it will be clear within the next month so that will feel like a little win it will be onto the Tesco CC (CC3) after that I think, as the card with the biggest balance does have the lowest interest and by the time the Tesco CC is paid I will have around 100 a month at least to put onto CC1.

I also looked and found out I can make additional payments to MyJar so will look into maybe splitting some of my survey money onto that too. Decisions, decisions!

In general life news, I would like to get into proofreading so until I can afford a few short courses to get some qualifications, I am looking on volunteer sites for any kind of writing/editing opportunities and have applied for one today to write a newsletter a few times a year for a small community which is a "do it from home" role so hoping to hear back from that.

(If anyone reads this and sees my spelling and grammar and questions my future as a proofreader, I'm great when I'm fully focused )
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 15th Aug 18, 1:45 AM
    • 66 Posts
    • 170 Thanks
    SSDD23
    A forgotten payment cleared and just paid another 5.50 to CC2 so currently stands at 53.44

8ish coming from PA and 5 coming from opinion outpost so will be down to 40 by the end of the week
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

85Posts Today

1,750Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin