Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 26th Jul 18, 11:14 AM
    • 584Posts
    • 1,510Thanks
    SSDD23
    Changing for good!
    • 26th Jul 18, 11:14 AM
    Changing for good! 26th Jul 18 at 11:14 AM
    Hello MSE!

Not my first time posting a DFD, but hopefully the last. I did originally have a few grand knocked off of my debt total which I was really proud of, but in trying to keep up with my partner and be able to keep doing stuff with my life I ended up with a few more short term loans and credit cards, and looking at the fact my debt repayments will now be around a third of my wage for at least the rest of this year, I've had enough. My partner and I are due to have a serious conversation about things in general tonight so will just tell him I really cannot afford to keep doing things the way we are, so for the time being we need to be frugal together but he can do as he wishes the rest of his time.

Currently as it stands I have:
    CC1 - £1380 paid at £60pm which just about knocks some money off every month
    CC2 - £117 which gets around £15pm and slowly decreases
    CC3 - £234 £25 pm paid
    Lantern - 2 defaulted debts from 2014 ish paid £5 p/m each until I can offer settlements - combined £628 but know I can settle for £300 maximum combined
    Satsuma (I know) - 2 loans total £1396 paid at £149 pm
    Myjar (I know) - £297 paid around £50pm
    Family Loan - £821 repaying £121.50 pm

There is also another old debt kicking around but it's not with the phone company and the debt collection company they said they sold it to have no knowledge of it, just waiting for that to finally surface with the debt collection company then will deal with that one.

So there we have it.... £4873. At £430 per month that's just over 11 months but even that is too long. I have considered approaching all the lenders and explaining I am in financial difficulty but I don't know where that would get me, and also the effect it would have on my credit file, but that to be honest is trashed anyway but I would like to avoid anything new because as it stands it will be clean in 4 years and I am hoping to be able to keep it that way to work towards a mortgage.

I have tried saving with online savers but it's too easy to ping the money back over straightaway when I want to buy something, so I have joined my local credit union and will save £50pm for the time being.

As it stands I'll be debt free within a year as long as I don't take out any more credit. I just need my partner to be on the same level with understanding I really need to not spend any money unnecessarily, which he should get on board with.

That's enough of the essay for now, time to look forwards, join some challenges and smash this debt!
Page 13
    • ImpulseSpender
    • By ImpulseSpender 7th Jan 19, 6:05 PM
    • 109 Posts
    • 305 Thanks
    ImpulseSpender
    So glad you finally know what’s been causing the issue. Hopefully it can be treated properly now.
    FD CC - 258.78/258.78, Santander CC - 107/3564.05, MBNA CC - 520/3144.96, Savings - £300/5000
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 7th Jan 19, 7:09 PM
    • 60,049 Posts
    • 251,981 Thanks
    beanielou
    At least you know what it is now.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 7th Jan 19, 7:11 PM
    • 584 Posts
    • 1,510 Thanks
    SSDD23
    So glad you finally know what’s been causing the issue. Hopefully it can be treated properly now.
    Originally posted by ImpulseSpender
    At least you know what it is now.
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Thanks both, I'm pleased too! Plenty of rests at home now with a hot water bottle on my foot
    Money made in January: £80.81/£100.00 // January NSDs: 12/20 //
    SPC #029 £15.50 // DFXMAS 2019 #035 £178.73/£5000

Debt-busting
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 11th Jan 19, 2:21 PM
    • 584 Posts
    • 1,510 Thanks
    SSDD23
    Happy Friday folks!!

Looking forward to a nice home-made chilli tonight that I cooked last night, OH will be heating it through and cooking the rice when I leave for work so no effort required from me! Which is only fair as I did spend last night making it whilst juggling housework

Got a few bits of money dribbling in over the next few days, unfortunately it's all earmarked for money I have juggled with it being January and everything having to stretch further, but at least it's earmarked to cover it rather than using any credit!

I need to start a serious job hunt, my job bores me to death and I don't have much to do. I also work by myself and I am convinced the more I do that, the more socially awkward and shy I am becoming as I don't have the day-to-day interaction with colleagues. The trouble is finding something with similar hours and similar pay, with no qualifications. It's only the money and the hours that are keeping me here for now, especially when trying to pay off debt. I physically cannot afford to take a pay cut.

Not much planned for this weekend, we have OH's kids tonight then we have a weekend night to ourselves tomorrow which doesn't happen very often, although we will probably just stay at home!

I will be finishing up a research study today that pays £30 in amazon vouchers, so that's a nice way to end the week, and hopefully they pay them out quickly x

Debt-busting
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 13th Jan 19, 11:05 AM
    • 541 Posts
    • 1,523 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Hope the chilli was good! Yay for no effort I think I get paid on Thursday/ Friday but have no idea how much I'm getting this month as I'm leaving. Pretty scared it's not going to be much and I'll need to rely on credit to bridge the gap before my wage

£30 amazon vouchers sounds great!

How are you enjoying the new flat? What is it that you do for work at the moment? I was feeling that it would be hard for me to get something as I just work in a call centre, but someone mentioned thinking about transferrable skills and that gave me the confidence to look for new jobs. Maybe try and write down a list of the skills you use in your current role!
    Total Debt : ?? / 7266.93
    Weight Loss: ?? kg / 45kg
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 13th Jan 19, 11:52 AM
    • 584 Posts
    • 1,510 Thanks
    SSDD23
    Hi lovely, the chilli was super tasty and we had a slow cooker delivered yesterday that we bought with vouchers from my dad, so we also had a slow cooked stew last night so lots of good food

Yeah, hoping to have the self restraint to keep them to one side for gifts or something in the future, might use them to get my mums birthday gift in a few weeks as I'm not sure where the money from that is coming from yet

Speaking of which... had a mad rush this morning trying to sort out our groceries delivery for today. I've been shuffling money between various accounts until I get some due to come in, I transferred the shortfall in our groceries account last night from nationwide but their "planned maintenance" that was supposed to end early hours is still ongoing so I had to phone up the company and pay with a different card as the other one declined where the payment was still queuing. The problem is OH has the account, my loyalty card and bank cards are just on it so I'm sure he will ask why there was an initial problem with the order (they email a lot) and I don't want him knowing I am juggling things constantly at the moment. Thankfully this is the last month I will have to juggle anything around and it's all sorted now, so panic over we will have our food delivery

The house is good, waiting for the estate agents to sort a few things out maintenance wise but generally all good.

I'm a residential concierge, so look after a 'fancy' tower block, but it's very quiet so I literally just sit and wait for things to do. I do a lot of liaising between property companies, management companies, landlords etc. I just see all the jobs in the areas I could work in that have the hours I do, or the money I make now, and it's all "experience" "experience" "experience"

I have challenged OH to find a job he things I could get as I have found nothing

Day of housework today as I didn't keep on top of it as much as usual in the week as I was feeling quite run down.

I have tried matched betting this week, and stand to have made £20 this week from it but again this is just filling gaps for now until I get some money I am expecting

Debt-busting
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 13th Jan 19, 7:31 PM
    • 584 Posts
    • 1,510 Thanks
    SSDD23
    For anyone who reads, I have moved over here...

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5950132

Debt-busting
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

321Posts Today

2,919Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • As normal I am signing off twitter for the weekend - to spend time with mini and Mrs MSE. Hope you have a wonderfu? https://t.co/FG3sRfkIgA

• RT @LauraFrancis9: Top crew! We may film in the freeeeeeeezing cold every week, but this bunch make it fun. (And huge thanks as always to @?

• Turns out this is all Google served. We've been in touch and it's shutting it down which should cut it on many webs? https://t.co/8OYeMjEu4n

• Follow Martin