Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Chelseawows
    • By Chelseawows 25th Jul 18, 2:07 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Chelseawows
    Dro & HSBC account frozen
    • 25th Jul 18, 2:07 PM
    Dro & HSBC account frozen 25th Jul 18 at 2:07 PM
    Hi there, I had my DRO accepted in June, and since then have had a letter from HSBC saying they would freeze my bank account as it was included in my debts. However, I haven't managed to change my pay into a different bank account and have just spoken to payroll saying they can't reverse it. Have I lost my money forever? Will they use it towards my debt even though they know about my DRO arrangement? Please help, thanks.
Page 1
    • cheesedoffwithdebt
    • By cheesedoffwithdebt 26th Jul 18, 6:45 AM
    • 324 Posts
    • 292 Thanks
    cheesedoffwithdebt
    • 26th Jul 18, 6:45 AM
    • 26th Jul 18, 6:45 AM
    Sadly you should have been advised to redirect your pay for this reason, that the bank can freeze the account. They can't take away money you need to live however but you need proper advice either from e.g. Cab or step change , very quickly !
    now debt free and determined to maintain good spending habits and build savings
  • National Debtline
    • 26th Jul 18, 9:56 AM
    • 26th Jul 18, 9:56 AM
    Hi Chelseawows

I'm sorry to hear what has happened but HSBC will not be allowed to keep the payment from your employer as they can no longer collect the debt once a DRO has been made. You will need to contact them and ask them if they will be sending the payment back to your employer, or if they could pay it directly to you.

You need to open up a new bank account as soon as you can, if you ask for a basic account you should have no problems doing this. However if this takes some time you may be able to arrange for your wages to be paid into a trusted friend or family member's bank account in the meantime.

As there will be a delay in being paid have you got anyone who can help support you? If you will struggle with the basics, like your food shopping, you can search for your closest food bank here https://www.trusselltrust.org/get-help/find-a-foodbank/. Your local council may also have a welfare assistance scheme if you are in an emergency situation, you'll need to contact them directly for more details.

I hope you can get it all resolved quickly.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
    • Chelseawows
    • By Chelseawows 26th Jul 18, 11:53 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Chelseawows
    • 26th Jul 18, 11:53 AM
    • 26th Jul 18, 11:53 AM
    Thank you both. I had updated my new bank details with my employer so it shouldnt happen again. I rang HSBC this morning and they said they will bounce the money back to my employer - hopefully it won't take long to process and send to my new account. Such a pain but thankfully sorted!
    • Chelseawows
    • By Chelseawows 6th Aug 18, 1:26 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Chelseawows
    • 6th Aug 18, 1:26 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 1:26 PM
    So I still haven't received my pay. HSBC seem to have taken it to their debt collection team even though they know all about my DRO and closed my account. I have spent over an hour on the phone (mostly on hold) to them and they are apparently going to ring me back. I don't feel very hopeful about it. If anyone has any advice, I would love to hear it.
    • 20aday
    • By 20aday 10th Aug 18, 11:03 PM
    • 2,296 Posts
    • 959 Thanks
    20aday
    • 10th Aug 18, 11:03 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 11:03 PM
    Hello there,

Am very sorry to hear about your issue. Unfortunately my Mum has recently entered into an IVA and had a similar issue with her employer and Barclays Bank.

All she could do was to keep chasing Barclays up until they'd reversed the payment; I don't know who is sorting out your IVA for you but I'd get in touch with them too and see if they can get on at HSBC as well?
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

392Posts Today

5,141Users online

Martin's Twitter