Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BargainJunky
    • By BargainJunky 25th Jul 18, 11:32 AM
    • 1,393Posts
    • 875Thanks
    BargainJunky
    Item described as in excellent condition - chipped
    • 25th Jul 18, 11:32 AM
    Item described as in excellent condition - chipped 25th Jul 18 at 11:32 AM
    I bought a small pottery item last week and it has arrived today.

The listing said in excellent condition it has arrived with damage to the base. On close inspection of the photos the damage is obvious and I could kick myself for not noticing it.

Is this SNAD or would the photo override the excellent condition as detailed in the listing.
Page 1
    • dlusman
    • By dlusman 25th Jul 18, 3:49 PM
    • 2,304 Posts
    • 4,502 Thanks
    dlusman
    • 25th Jul 18, 3:49 PM
    • 25th Jul 18, 3:49 PM
    Personally I would treat anything not described as mint or as new with suspicion. Adjectives on condition are almost meaningless. One persons "excellent" can be another persons "good" or "poor" depending on their thresholds
    • sham63
    • By sham63 25th Jul 18, 3:55 PM
    • 973 Posts
    • 748 Thanks
    sham63
    • 25th Jul 18, 3:55 PM
    • 25th Jul 18, 3:55 PM
    I would message the seller to say that you're disappointed that there is a chip on the base which wasn't mentioned in the description. If they don't play ball open a SNAD.
    • sham63
    • By sham63 25th Jul 18, 3:58 PM
    • 973 Posts
    • 748 Thanks
    sham63
    • 25th Jul 18, 3:58 PM
    • 25th Jul 18, 3:58 PM
    Personally I would treat anything not described as mint or as new with suspicion. Adjectives on condition are almost meaningless. One persons "excellent" can be another persons "good" or "poor" depending on their thresholds
    Originally posted by dlusman

You can't even trust 'brand new', here's a current example;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alpinestars-Supertech-R-Road-Race-Boots-new/283070255832?hash=item41e84d52d8:g:zooAAOSwMtZbVzh B

"probably used 5-10 times maximum"
    • BargainJunky
    • By BargainJunky 26th Jul 18, 8:45 AM
    • 1,393 Posts
    • 875 Thanks
    BargainJunky
    • 26th Jul 18, 8:45 AM
    • 26th Jul 18, 8:45 AM
    Seller has not yet replied to my message. I am not expecting a quick reply as the item was bought on the 14th they messaged on the 17th to say posting Wednesday (18th) and I received an email to say it was on its way on the 24th.

If they ignore me how long do I have to open a SNAD? The reason I ask is we go away Monday for a week and have limited internet access for messages and dont fancy taking it to post with me.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 26th Jul 18, 9:17 AM
    • 12,450 Posts
    • 8,406 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 26th Jul 18, 9:17 AM
    • 26th Jul 18, 9:17 AM
    Seller has not yet replied to my message. I am not expecting a quick reply as the item was bought on the 14th they messaged on the 17th to say posting Wednesday (18th) and I received an email to say it was on its way on the 24th.

If they ignore me how long do I have to open a SNAD? The reason I ask is we go away Monday for a week and have limited internet access for messages and dont fancy taking it to post with me.
    Originally posted by BargainJunky
    You have 30 days from actual or latest estimated delivery to open a SNAD on eBay.

You have 180 days from purchase on Paypal (although you are responsible for returns cost).
    • soolin
    • By soolin 26th Jul 18, 9:42 AM
    • 60,698 Posts
    • 43,300 Thanks
    soolin
    • 26th Jul 18, 9:42 AM
    • 26th Jul 18, 9:42 AM

Once a return case is opened you have quite a while to return it, from memory it is something like 21 days - ebay labels don't seem to be dated so it isn't a case of having to use a label as soon as it is added to the case.

You could therefore open a SNAD today and see how quickly the seller responds.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • BargainJunky
    • By BargainJunky 9th Aug 18, 10:09 AM
    • 1,393 Posts
    • 875 Thanks
    BargainJunky
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:09 AM
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:09 AM
    Just an update gave seller over a week to agree to taking item back all I got was its a collectable and is worth more than I paid. Its a very low value collectable 5ish which is worthless chipped. They claim that they did not see the chip yet if you look closely at their photo you can see it (looks like camera glare unless you know its a chip).

I opened a return request on Monday stating arrived damaged so far seller has not replied. They have until the 14th before I can ask Ebay to help how do I do this?
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 9th Aug 18, 12:35 PM
    • 12,450 Posts
    • 8,406 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 9th Aug 18, 12:35 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 12:35 PM

I opened a return request on Monday stating arrived damaged so far seller has not replied. They have until the 14th before I can ask Ebay to help how do I do this?
    If the seller doesn't resolve, on the 8th day (to the second) you will see the option on the case to "ask eBay to step in". You can either use the prompts or give them a ring.

The seller should refund or give you a returns label before the 8th day. If they don't then either ebay will refund you or they will supply a label. In the case of such low value, they will usually refund without a return.
    • BargainJunky
    • By BargainJunky 9th Aug 18, 3:15 PM
    • 1,393 Posts
    • 875 Thanks
    BargainJunky
    Thank you for the advice - seller is not doing very well at the moment they have been left a negative by someone else for inadequate packaging resulting in damage guess they are ignoring them as well.
    • BargainJunky
    • By BargainJunky 14th Aug 18, 8:25 AM
    • 1,393 Posts
    • 875 Thanks
    BargainJunky
    Not heard a thing from the seller so will ask Ebay to step in once I am allowed to. I guess the seller thinks he has my money so he is safe just hope Ebay find in my favour.

The annoying thing is the chip was on the actual photo but looked like camera glare now I have the item you can tell its a chip not glare. The seller must have known it was chipped as it was the first thing I saw when I opened his poorly packaged parcel.
    • BargainJunky
    • By BargainJunky 15th Aug 18, 9:37 AM
    • 1,393 Posts
    • 875 Thanks
    BargainJunky
    Asked Ebay to step in as the seller totally ignored me after I requested a full refund. Within minutes the case was found in my favour and I was refunded in full.

I'm hoping the seller gets a slap on the wrist. I have not been asked to return the item and I dont want to keep it. Part of me says message the seller and ask them to send me the postage and I will return it another part of me says pop it in the post box without any stamps or understamped in the hope that they go and collect it.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 15th Aug 18, 10:02 AM
    • 60,698 Posts
    • 43,300 Thanks
    soolin
    Asked Ebay to step in as the seller totally ignored me after I requested a full refund. Within minutes the case was found in my favour and I was refunded in full.

I'm hoping the seller gets a slap on the wrist. I have not been asked to return the item and I dont want to keep it. Part of me says message the seller and ask them to send me the postage and I will return it another part of me says pop it in the post box without any stamps or understamped in the hope that they go and collect it.
    Seller will have received a serious defect for an unresolved case and you can also leave negative feedback . FVFs will also remain payable by the seller.

Personally I would send one last email through the ebay system saying you have item xxx and will hold it until xxx date for seller to collect at your convenience . Then make a comment about if item is not collected or a confirmed collection time not agreed by xxx then you will take that as an acceptance by seller that item can be donated to a local charity shop.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,094Posts Today

9,179Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin