Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ICEMANMAZ
    • By ICEMANMAZ 25th Jul 18, 6:27 AM
    • 23Posts
    • 1Thanks
    ICEMANMAZ
    Private car park ticket
    • 25th Jul 18, 6:27 AM
    Private car park ticket 25th Jul 18 at 6:27 AM
    Hi all a bit of advice wanted.
    The wife was in my car and parked in a private car park. She got a ticket when parked but must of put the wrong registration in at the machine.
    They sent us a photo and I went online and told them it was not me driving but the wife. They sent her a letter and she posted the ticket with wrong reg to them. I now have had 2 solicitors letters saying I need to pay 160 or court proceedings will begin. The original ticket was 60. Should I pay or just ignore the letters. They are from Gladstone.
    Thank you
    Mark
Page 2
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 6th Aug 18, 7:30 PM
    • 11,010 Posts
    • 10,979 Thanks
    The Deep
    Judges are becoming reluctant to find for PPCs in cases of wrong VRNs. Many regard this as a trifling matter, and the Law does not concern itself with trifles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_minimis

It is also a scam.

This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of contracts for alleged parking offences, aided and abetted by a handful of low-rent solicitors.

Parking Eye, CPM, Smart, and another company have already been named and shamed, as has Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (these two law firms take hundreds of these cases to court each year). They lose most of them, and have been reported to the regulatory authority by an M.P. for unprofessional conduct

Hospital car parks and residential complex tickets have been especially mentioned.

The problem has become so rampant that MPs have agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers. Watch the video of the Second Reading in the House of Commons recently

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/2f0384f2-eba5-4fff-ab07-cf24b6a22918?in=12:49:41 recently.

and complain in the most robust terms to your MP. With a fair wind they will be out of business by Christmas.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 6th Aug 18, 10:07 PM
    • 20,665 Posts
    • 32,574 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    So my question now is do I just wait for them to take me to court or should I contact Gladstone Solicitors.
    You just wait to see what happens. But, in preparation, please read the NEWBIES FAQ sticky, post #2 which covers the entire court process. Get yourself up to speed with that.

Please don't come back in a few weeks time shouting 'help, help, yelp, I've got a Letter Before Claim from Gladstones'. Get ahead of the game now via plenty of research and study - that's the way you beat these Johnnies!
    Please note, we are not a legal, residential or credit advice forum, rather one that helps motorists fight private parking charges, primarily at the 'front-end' of the process.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • ICEMANMAZ
    • By ICEMANMAZ 7th Aug 18, 6:27 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    ICEMANMAZ
    I got letter before claim 2 weeks ago. Best get reading up.
    • nosferatu1001
    • By nosferatu1001 7th Aug 18, 12:07 PM
    • 4,158 Posts
    • 5,012 Thanks
    nosferatu1001
    Meaning you have 2 weeks left to respond....
    • ICEMANMAZ
    • By ICEMANMAZ 13th Aug 18, 11:22 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    ICEMANMAZ
    quick update

I got a County Court claim form today. Had a read through it. I presume I now need to send it back to the court filling in the defense part claiming that I was not the driver. I will also include the letters that I got saying they acknowledge that it was the wife driving and not me.
    Is there anything else I need to do?
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 13th Aug 18, 1:01 PM
    • 20,665 Posts
    • 32,574 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    quick update

I got a County Court claim form today. Had a read through it. I presume I now need to send it back to the court filling in the defense part claiming that I was not the driver. I will also include the letters that I got saying they acknowledge that it was the wife driving and not me.
    Is there anything else I need to do?
    Originally posted by ICEMANMAZ
    Your presumption is very wrong. You do not fill that defence box in at all, and if your defence is purely 'I was not the driver', you're going to really struggle. But it does need to be acknowledged - see the following paragraph.

You need to study the NEWBIES FAQ sticky, post #2 which guides you right through the court process from the LBC up to the actual court hearing.
    Please note, we are not a legal, residential or credit advice forum, rather one that helps motorists fight private parking charges, primarily at the 'front-end' of the process.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • ICEMANMAZ
    • By ICEMANMAZ 13th Aug 18, 2:39 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    ICEMANMAZ
    Totaly at a loss now, wish I had paid the original 60. Guess I will just have to pay the fine at court.
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 13th Aug 18, 2:41 PM
    • 11,353 Posts
    • 11,882 Thanks
    KeithP
    Totaly at a loss now...
    Originally posted by ICEMANMAZ
    I really don't understand that.

Did you read the last sentence of Umkomaas's post?
    • ICEMANMAZ
    • By ICEMANMAZ 13th Aug 18, 3:17 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    ICEMANMAZ
    Yes looked at sticky #2 I just can't find what I need to do to acknowledge the court
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 13th Aug 18, 3:22 PM
    • 3,412 Posts
    • 2,372 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    If you go back to the sticky post #2 and scroll down until you see this bit: -

Here is a guide to MCOL & how to acknowledge service (the first step), put together by a genuine PPC fighter:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xvqu3bask5m0zir/money-claim-online-How-to-Acknowledge.pdf?dl=0

This is what you are looking for.
    • ICEMANMAZ
    • By ICEMANMAZ 13th Aug 18, 3:34 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    ICEMANMAZ
    If you go back to the sticky post #2 and scroll down until you see this bit: -

Here is a guide to MCOL & how to acknowledge service (the first step), put together by a genuine PPC fighter:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xvqu3bask5m0zir/money-claim-online-How-to-Acknowledge.pdf?dl=0

This is what you are looking for.
    Originally posted by Le_Kirk

Thank You I hopefully understand now. Sorry if I come across as totaly stupid.
    • ICEMANMAZ
    • By ICEMANMAZ 24th Sep 18, 10:40 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    ICEMANMAZ
    Quick update. I must of lost as I now have a bill for 272 I can set it aside at a cost of 255 but what is the point. Just wished now that I had just paid the 60.
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 24th Sep 18, 10:56 PM
    • 11,353 Posts
    • 11,882 Thanks
    KeithP
    Did you file a Defence?

I can see no mention that you did.
    • ICEMANMAZ
    • By ICEMANMAZ 24th Sep 18, 11:16 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    ICEMANMAZ
    No that's why I lost. Misunderstanding thought I would get something from the court that I had to send back. An expensive mistake.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 24th Sep 18, 11:19 PM
    • 64,896 Posts
    • 77,472 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    But the NEWBIES thread told you that you have to defend, bargepole's explanation of what happens when doesn't say you just sit and wait, after acknowledging a claim.

OMG, for the love of God follow the NEWBIES thread next time you get a fake PCN, and read it properly. You could have beaten this scam, had you followed advice. If you had researched it, you would have had every chance to win like most people, and pay nothing at all.

Also the Claim form told you that you had to defend! No idea what you were waiting for.

The AOS is just an acknowledgement, it just bought you an extra 14 days and that was clear from this forum, and from the court form.

So frustrating that you lost this, by not following the forum advice.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,566Posts Today

6,711Users online

Martin's Twitter