Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TallTee93
    • By TallTee93 24th Jul 18, 12:13 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 1Thanks
    TallTee93
    PIP Confusion Help Needed.
    • 24th Jul 18, 12:13 PM
    PIP Confusion Help Needed. 24th Jul 18 at 12:13 PM
    Good Afternoon, this is my first time using this site so please excuse me if I'm doing this wrong.

I applied for pip in April 2018, had an app for a face to face in May but they cancelled and rearranged to June1st.
    My sister came with me to the assessment as I don't leave the house alone at all. I suffer from depression, anxiety, PTSD and have recently been diagnosed with BPD and EUPD alongside this I am morbidly obese so that doesn't help matters.
    The woman who assessed me completely lied and too 19 days to send her report to DWP which they said was odd because they usually receive them with 3-4 days. My sister thinks she completely forgot so just made up her assessment, she basically said I was fine on low dose medication and nothing wrong with me which was all blatant lies as I am on several different medication none of which are low dose, I am on metformin, desmopressin, prescribed codeine for pain, volterol gel for pain, duloxetine and temazepam.
    Anyway my sister sent a letter to PIP and stated that everything was lies and reffered to how the assessor basically copied and pasted all her answers (they were all the same) She even said I was just a little overweight. At 28.9 stone I think that's more than a little overweight don't you?
    I will soon be going through CBT for the third time and everything is just adding stress onto me.
    My sister rang PIP again earlier and they said it's still with the case manager it could take another 2-3 weeks before I hear from them.
    I'm getting really worried now and don't know what to do. Has anyone else been in this position? I am aware I am more than likely going to have to appeal the assessors decision even though I had letters from doctors and pshycologist and CPNs.
    It's now been 7 and a half weeks since my f2f.

Also added on I had never been for an ESA assessment before they just went off my doctors letters and I had to go for one last week so I'm now panicking about that, have they called me in because of the lies the assessor told? I took all my medication and letters and appointments from doctors and discharge papers from my last 2 suicide attempts within the last 2 months. The lady seemed nice and was shocked to read I have attempted suicide 9 times and seemed nice and understanding with my childhood abuse etc but I am very sceptical now after the assessor from pip was nasty and lied about everything.

Sorry for the long post. And Thankyou for any advice I may get.
    Terri.
Page 1
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 24th Jul 18, 12:42 PM
    • 11,902 Posts
    • 13,760 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 24th Jul 18, 12:42 PM
    • 24th Jul 18, 12:42 PM
    I am sorry that you are having such a difficult time.

I take it that your sister did a mandatory reconsideration when you were not awarded PIP and this is what is being considered?

I will be absolutely honest and say that at the moment you cannot do much. You will have to wait until the mandatory reconsideration is completed. If the decision is not changed then you will have to appeal.

Ditto with your ESA assessment. It is probably just a coincidence that you were called for a face to face assessment this time. Again you will just have to wait for the decision. Sorry.

The one thing that you can do is talk to CAB/welfare advisor and tell them what has happened as regards your PIP. As they are very busy they may allow you to make an appointment for help with an appeal in a few weeks time which they will allow you to cancel if the MR goes in your favour.

Did you receive any help with completing your PIP/ESA forms?
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 24th Jul 18, 1:02 PM
    • 3,602 Posts
    • 3,453 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 24th Jul 18, 1:02 PM
    • 24th Jul 18, 1:02 PM
    The assessment report can sometimes be delayed being returned to DWP if it's chosen for audit. As yours took 19 days to be returned it was most likely because it was one of the chosen ones. DWP would not have known if this is what happened. This happened to me twice and my reports were delayed for weeks.
    Good luck with both.
    • TallTee93
    • By TallTee93 24th Jul 18, 6:45 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    TallTee93
    • 24th Jul 18, 6:45 PM
    • 24th Jul 18, 6:45 PM
    Pmlindyloo, no she hasn't done a mandatory reconsideration as they haven't said no yet, they just keep saying it's with the case manager, when we got the copy of the assessors report my sister rang them and they said to send a letter highlighting the lies that had been told so that's what she sent them, it's been 5 weeks since then. I'm just so confused with it all. They make it so difficult. I am prepared for doing a mandatory reconsideration though.

Poppy12345, how long were yours delayed by for the audit?

Thankyou both for your replies xx
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 24th Jul 18, 7:13 PM
    • 3,602 Posts
    • 3,453 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 24th Jul 18, 7:13 PM
    • 24th Jul 18, 7:13 PM
    Pmlindyloo, no she hasn't done a mandatory reconsideration as they haven't said no yet, they just keep saying it's with the case manager, when we got the copy of the assessors report my sister rang them and they said to send a letter highlighting the lies that had been told so that's what she sent them, it's been 5 weeks since then. I'm just so confused with it all. They make it so difficult. I am prepared for doing a mandatory reconsideration though.

Poppy12345, how long were yours delayed by for the audit?

Thankyou both for your replies xx
    Originally posted by TallTee93
    Have you added up the points in that report? There will be boxes with dots next to them, it's these you need to look at to see what was scored. They usually go with what's recommended in the report.
    Unfortunately the DWP won't be interested in any lies that were told in the report. You can of course make a complaint to the assessment providers, i'm not sure how far this will get you though.
    There was a 2 week delay for my PIP assessment report and just over 4 weeks for my daughters report to be returned.
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 24th Jul 18, 8:07 PM
    • 2,440 Posts
    • 2,834 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    • 24th Jul 18, 8:07 PM
    • 24th Jul 18, 8:07 PM
    I would formally request a mandatory reconsideration of the decision not to award you PIP.

Here is a template -
    https://www.leicester.gov.uk/media/178163/mandatory-reconsideration-request.pdf

Add this is helpful:
    https://www.advicenow.org.uk/pip-tool

Mandatory reconsideration has a DWP time limit, so I'd get it in and it can run alongside the case managers review.
    Keep a copy, and check they have received it.
    The last thing you need is a dispute with the DWP about whether they will accept a MR - hence my suggestion to get it in now.

If you have any relevant medical evidence readily available include this with your MR.

Here are the PIP points:
    https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip/pip-points-system
    Go through these and see were you score the necessary 8 points (for a standard award).
    Btw Benefits & Work has some excellent guides on the appeal process and tactics, understanding how PIP points should be awarded, etc. It could be worth thinking about the c.20 membership to access their detailed guides.

This is a very helpful guide to the PIP appeal process:
    https://www.advicenow.org.uk/guides/how-win-pip-appeal

It explains the process clearly.

Also:
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/appeals/mandatory-reconsideration/

Do start your appeal by asking for an MR of their decision. I'd be wary of just relying on a case manager to review it - I think you need to start the more formal and recognised process of challenging a PIP decision.

pmlinyloo's suggestion to get help with your appeal from your local advice agency / CAB is an excellent one. As she says, CAB's are very very busy so be persistent, polite, and see them asap.
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/about-us/how-we-provide-advice/advice/

Good luck
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 24th Jul 18, 9:03 PM
    • 3,602 Posts
    • 3,453 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 24th Jul 18, 9:03 PM
    • 24th Jul 18, 9:03 PM
    I would formally request a mandatory reconsideration of the decision not to award you PIP.

The last thing you need is a dispute with the DWP about whether they will accept a MR - hence my suggestion to get it in now.
    Originally posted by Alice Holt
    I'm confused here because the OP states in post #4 that they (DWP) haven't said no yet. I'm assuming that to mean they haven't yet had the decision.
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 24th Jul 18, 9:15 PM
    • 2,440 Posts
    • 2,834 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    • 24th Jul 18, 9:15 PM
    • 24th Jul 18, 9:15 PM
    I'm confused here because the OP states in post #4 that they (DWP) haven't said no yet. I'm assuming that to mean they haven't yet had the decision.
    Originally posted by poppy12345
    Ah. ..Yes you're quite right. It was me getting confused!

That's a longish time to wait for the decision letter, though (from an application in April).
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 24th Jul 18, 9:23 PM
    • 3,602 Posts
    • 3,453 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 24th Jul 18, 9:23 PM
    • 24th Jul 18, 9:23 PM
    That's a longish time to wait for the decision letter, though (from an application in April).
    Originally posted by Alice Holt
    I think the issue here was the delay in returning the assessment report to DWP, as this took 19 days. As we both know waiting times do vary wildly and if that report was sent to audit, it's an even longer wait.

3 months doesn't seem that long, even though DWP say 8 weeks from applying (i think). At least that's what it was when i applied for my daughter last year. It was 3 months (ish) for her timescale, in total.
    • crackerberry
    • By crackerberry 24th Jul 18, 9:55 PM
    • 752 Posts
    • 1,179 Thanks
    crackerberry
    19 days for the assessment report to be returned to the DWP isn't actually that long and probably closer to the average time to return than it being returned within a couple of days, which doesn't happen that often. The assessor does have up to six weeks to return it and sometimes does take that long to do so.

Once the report is back, it can take 4 - 6 weeks for a decision, sometimes it's sooner, sometimes it takes even longer. It depends on case loads and where a case is in the queue.
    Last edited by crackerberry; 24-07-2018 at 10:07 PM.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 24th Jul 18, 10:28 PM
    • 3,602 Posts
    • 3,453 Thanks
    poppy12345
    19 days for the assessment report to be returned to the DWP isn't actually that long and probably closer to the average time to return than it being returned within a couple of days, which doesn't happen that often. The assessor does have up to six weeks to return it and sometimes does take that long to do so.
    Originally posted by crackerberry
    Sorry but i disagree with this. I wouldn't say 19 days is the average time at all. Mostly reports are returned within a few days, the digital one at least. The paper copy takes a little longer. As i stated if a report takes this long then it's most likely been chosen for audit.
    • crackerberry
    • By crackerberry 24th Jul 18, 11:16 PM
    • 752 Posts
    • 1,179 Thanks
    crackerberry
    Sorry but i disagree with this. I wouldn't say 19 days is the average time at all. Mostly reports are returned within a few days, the digital one at least. The paper copy takes a little longer. As i stated if a report takes this long then it's most likely been chosen for audit.
    Originally posted by poppy12345

We'll have to agree to disagree then
    • TallTee93
    • By TallTee93 30th Jul 18, 12:34 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    TallTee93
    My sister has spoken to pip again today, they have said they requested further information from the assessment providers ( does that mean atos themselves or the assessor who assessed me) I have a feeling I will have to do a MR but the lady on the phone today said a decision should be made soon as they had the further information back on Friday. It's been 8 and a half weeks since my f2f so the 4 weeks they say is a fib isn't it. The reports do usually get back to them within a few days that was confirmed by a staff member at pip.
    • TallTee93
    • By TallTee93 30th Jul 18, 12:36 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    TallTee93
    Does anyone know whether they do go completely opposite to the assessors report? In rare occasions? Also I did have help with filling forms out from citizens advice and my sister.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 30th Jul 18, 1:06 PM
    • 3,602 Posts
    • 3,453 Thanks
    poppy12345
    My sister has spoken to pip again today, they have said they requested further information from the assessment providers ( does that mean atos themselves or the assessor who assessed me) I have a feeling I will have to do a MR but the lady on the phone today said a decision should be made soon as they had the further information back on Friday. It's been 8 and a half weeks since my f2f so the 4 weeks they say is a fib isn't it. The reports do usually get back to them within a few days that was confirmed by a staff member at pip.
    It can be both. The 4 weeks decision time is just a guide, it really depends on backlog in your area. To be honest there's no timescales to decisions.

Have you asked for a copy of the assessment report? This will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be as they mostly go with this. It's rare for them to go against the report but it can happen.
    • TallTee93
    • By TallTee93 6th Aug 18, 11:51 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    TallTee93
    I received a copy of the assessment report which was full of blatant lies and contradictions when i took proof and have shown pip dwp proof of my medications and diagnosed illnesses and the assessor said I don't have said illnesses (although I have proven diagnoses from doctors and pshycologist etc) and that I don't take certain medications (although I'm prescribed them weekly) and that I've never been depressed (even though I've been in hospital for several suicide attempts 9 times to be exact all which have been proven with doctors reports and discharge papers etc) all of which I had shown to pip beforehand. Oh and that i dont need help with my medication even though its prescribed weekly to stop the chances of overdosing being so strong and although my sister comes round twice a day with my meds to give them to me as i have overdosed 3 times in the past 5 months so she wont leave them with me. So my sister contacted pip stating all of the obvious and they asked her to write a letter stating it all so she did that about 6 weeks ago now. She rang them today and they said they contacted the assessment providers for further information which they received a week ago and I should hear from them in the next 2 week's. But they said the next 2 week's when she rang a week ago so god knows.
    My sister also complained about the assessor because she made me go into detail about sexual, physical and emotional abuse I experienced as a child and explaining how that has been one of the causes of my severe depression etc and then didn't even mention any of it in the report so why make me 're live it all? I ended up trying to take my own life again after I read the assessors report because people just lie just lie all the time and don't actually care they just want to make life hard so what's the point?
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 6th Aug 18, 12:05 PM
    • 3,602 Posts
    • 3,453 Thanks
    poppy12345
    I received a copy of the assessment report which was full of blatant lies and contradictions when i took proof and have shown pip dwp proof of my medications and diagnosed illnesses and the assessor said I don't have said illnesses (although I have proven diagnoses from doctors and pshycologist etc) and that I don't take certain medications (although I'm prescribed them weekly) and that I've never been depressed (even though I've been in hospital for several suicide attempts 9 times to be exact all which have been proven with doctors reports and discharge papers etc) all of which I had shown to pip beforehand. Oh and that i dont need help with my medication even though its prescribed weekly to stop the chances of overdosing being so strong and although my sister comes round twice a day with my meds to give them to me as i have overdosed 3 times in the past 5 months so she wont leave them with me. So my sister contacted pip stating all of the obvious and they asked her to write a letter stating it all so she did that about 6 weeks ago now. She rang them today and they said they contacted the assessment providers for further information which they received a week ago and I should hear from them in the next 2 week's. But they said the next 2 week's when she rang a week ago so god knows.
    My sister also complained about the assessor because she made me go into detail about sexual, physical and emotional abuse I experienced as a child and explaining how that has been one of the causes of my severe depression etc and then didn't even mention any of it in the report so why make me 're live it all? I ended up trying to take my own life again after I read the assessors report because people just lie just lie all the time and don't actually care they just want to make life hard so what's the point?
    I'm sorry to hear that. Lies are often told in these reports. In that report somewhere will be boxes with dots next to them, matching these with the PIP descriptors and adding the points up will tell you how many were scored, if any. They usually go with the report.

I know it's very difficult talking about your life during these assessments but unfortunately this is needed to get a picture of how your conditions affect you. PIP isn't about a diagnosis, but how your conditions affect you daily.
    If the decision doesn't go in your favour then you have 1 month to ask for a MR, put the request in writing stating what you disagree with and where you think you should have scored those points. Most MR decisions remain the same. If this fails then it's Tribunal.
    • TallTee93
    • By TallTee93 6th Aug 18, 12:20 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    TallTee93
    I just still don't understand why she would make me go in depth about things and clearly see how it affects my life daily then lie about it? I don't understand why lie and say I don't have issues with my bladder when I'm on medication for it, why I don't have issues with mental health and personality disorders when I'm on medication for it, why I don't have issues with walking etc when I'm on medication for the pain, why I don't have issues with diabetes when I'm on medication for it. It's stupid to lie like that when I can prove otherwise how it affects me with doctors reports, pshycologist reports, medication, proof of never leaving th house without someone etc. Why lie when so much evidence to prove otherwise? Do they have to keep numbers down so lie? Well they've done it to the wrong person because I will be taking it all the way, and I will be getting the woman who assessed me done for negligence! And if DWP are stupid enough to agree with her report of 0 points for daily living and 0 points for mobility (I'm not bothered about the mobility, the CAB thought I should get that though with my bladder problems and walking problems but I'm not bothered about them as my mental state is what affects me the most in a day to day basis) then more fool them because with all the evidence I have and the evidence I've had to pay for off of the doctors letters etc then I will take it to tribunal and will be getting Mps and everything involved due to their negligence.
    • TallTee93
    • By TallTee93 9th Aug 18, 12:46 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    TallTee93
    I've just had a phone call off of ESA saying that I may be entitled to the severe disability premium so I asked why she thinks that and she said I am in receipt of PIP so I am on hold now to PIP to see what they say. Fingers crossed. The assessor awarded me 0points for everything so they have gone against her if they have awarded me!
    • TallTee93
    • By TallTee93 9th Aug 18, 1:00 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    TallTee93
    I have been awarded high rate for daily living and for mobility. Thankyou for your advice.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

149Posts Today

1,440Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @GillsSarah: Interesting! I always used to buy big name products cos I thought they?d be stronger. @MartinSLewis has changed my mind on?

• RT @think_jessica: Think Jessica the Film 30 min doc/drama based on my mother?s true story. Narrated by @MartinSLewis is now live on https:?

• RT @kelsher123: @MartinSLewis First time switcher! And no, it wasn?t as challenging as I thought???? A British Gas customer so no brainier. Th?

• Follow Martin