Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Peeky Joe
    • By Peeky Joe 23rd Jul 18, 3:16 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Peeky Joe
    Walking Away From ISP Whilst Under Contract
    • 23rd Jul 18, 3:16 PM
    Walking Away From ISP Whilst Under Contract 23rd Jul 18 at 3:16 PM
    I guess the crux of my issue is as per the thread title, what it the point I can walk away whilst under contract for poor service? This calendar year I have had nothing but issues from my ISP Vodafone. From very slow speeds to days on end with no service at all.
    My internet went down again yesterday and is still down now and although only three and a half months until my contract finishes I would like to know if I am able to walk away now?
    What level of poor service from them would constitute breach of contract? Apparently I have to wait for the level two tech team to resolve the issue before they will finalise any compensation but I'm not interested in that, I just want a reliable service.

I stupidly moved from EE, who in 4 or 5 years I didn't have a single issue with, over to Vodafone because of the lack of line rental and I cut my phone and broadband bill in half. I guess the moral is you DO get what you pay for!
Page 1
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 23rd Jul 18, 3:20 PM
    • 11,405 Posts
    • 5,019 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 23rd Jul 18, 3:20 PM
    • 23rd Jul 18, 3:20 PM
    You can walk away when they agree .
    Other way is to pay remaining months off .
    Just stop paying and usual route is passed to debt collectors and credit record trashed .
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 23rd Jul 18, 3:50 PM
    • 3,222 Posts
    • 1,676 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 23rd Jul 18, 3:50 PM
    • 23rd Jul 18, 3:50 PM
    With only three and a half months to go it's probably not worth the potential hassles. Just sign up with someone else in 3 months time which will give them your 14 days notice.
  • Vodafone
    • 31st Jul 18, 7:14 PM
    • 31st Jul 18, 7:14 PM
    Hi Peeky Joe,

I understand it's frustrating when your broadband isn't working as you expect it to.

If you still need help with this, please email us via the form here.

To access the form you'll need to enter the code EFT195.

As well as stating your query in the question box, please also quote "MSE Forum".

Once sent, you'll receive an automated reply with a reference number. Post it on here and I'll check it's been received.

Kind regards,

Lee

Vodafone Social Media
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Vodafone. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • boliston
    • By boliston 31st Jul 18, 7:27 PM
    • 2,813 Posts
    • 2,391 Thanks
    boliston
    • 31st Jul 18, 7:27 PM
    • 31st Jul 18, 7:27 PM
    it's best to go via the ADR scheme if all normal channels are exhausted
    • Batterseaboy
    • By Batterseaboy 7th Aug 18, 12:53 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Batterseaboy
    • 7th Aug 18, 12:53 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 12:53 PM
    The basic problem we all suffer from here, is the fact that we are tied in to a contract for broadband and line rental in the first place. I see no reason why we cannot have contract free broadband and come and go as we please just like we can already do with our Gas and Electricity supplies. Even our Sim only contracts can last for as short as just 1 month. There is currently a good offer from Plusnet for example with a Amazon gift card bonus thrown in. But these are short term deals, so unless your 12 month contract just happens to be ending at the same time then the only way out is to pay off the contract! Which in turn defeats the object of moving to take advantage of another suppliers offer in the first place! Time for Change...in the law! You can sign my Change.Org petition. Alas,as per the rules here,links are not allowed.
    • iniltous
    • By iniltous 7th Aug 18, 1:31 PM
    • 1,755 Posts
    • 723 Thanks
    iniltous
    • 7th Aug 18, 1:31 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 1:31 PM
    The basic problem we all suffer from here, is the fact that we are tied in to a contract for broadband and line rental in the first place. I see no reason why we cannot have contract free broadband and come and go as we please just like we can already do with our Gas and Electricity supplies. Even our Sim only contracts can last for as short as just 1 month. There is currently a good offer from Plusnet for example with a Amazon gift card bonus thrown in. But these are short term deals, so unless your 12 month contract just happens to be ending at the same time then the only way out is to pay off the contract! Which in turn defeats the object of moving to take advantage of another suppliers offer in the first place! Time for Change...in the law! You can sign my Change.Org petition. Alas,as per the rules here,links are not allowed.
    Originally posted by Batterseaboy
    There are already company's that offer 1 month minimum term contracts, but unsurprisingly they tend to costs more, and chances are don't provider a 'free' router, or connection etc...what you want is never going to happen , unless you are happy to pay up front for the connection of service, and for the router , and obviously no gift cards, or other inducements....a business model of providing service at less than what it costs for you to provide it , is a pretty poor one
    • macman
    • By macman 7th Aug 18, 1:36 PM
    • 42,803 Posts
    • 18,046 Thanks
    macman
    • 7th Aug 18, 1:36 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 1:36 PM
    It could be down 364 days a year in theory: since there is no SLA on a residential contract. If you ask, you will get a credit for the days without service.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 7th Aug 18, 1:43 PM
    • 5,008 Posts
    • 11,284 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    • 7th Aug 18, 1:43 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 1:43 PM

That could certainly work, but the ISPs would make a connection charge when you join to cover their costs in setting up the account and as has already been stated, the inducements like pre-paid mastercards and cashback would disappear. They make the offers you seem keen on basis that you will be paying them for an agreed term, take away that term and what do you expect to happen?
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • littleboo
    • By littleboo 7th Aug 18, 3:08 PM
    • 623 Posts
    • 298 Thanks
    littleboo
    You cant compare gas & electricity supply to broadband. Gas & electricity is just a billing change,so purely administrative. You don't even contact your supplier if you have a power cut.
    • oldagetraveller
    • By oldagetraveller 7th Aug 18, 3:32 PM
    • 3,209 Posts
    • 1,706 Thanks
    oldagetraveller
    "just like we can already do with our Gas and Electricity supplies."
    Unless you are on a fixed term. Then there are usually exit fees. Nothing really different with a bb/ telephone provider where you agree at the onset to a minimum term - with exit fees.
    Did you hear about the politician who had a backside transplant? It rejected him.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,353Posts Today

7,261Users online

Martin's Twitter