Con artists - "Approved Garages"

Comments

• Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Well, just picked mine up from its MOT.

Failed last Thursday on rear subframe bushes. I could have got them for £10.99 each off ebay branded as Meyle (but no guarantee that's what they are) and fitted them myself.

Or, I could let them supply and fit them for £25+ VAT each in a guaranteed brand and not have the hassle.

I let them supply and fit. Total bill was £275 for something that, if I'd done it myself would have been a solid 7 hours lying on my back, with hardly any access, after I'd spent a couple of hours making up a suitable puller to extract them.

I'd have ended up with bushes that would have passed the MOT but could well have failed again inside a year when it turned out they were made from bean curds.

The thing is, the total bill was worth it to me to save aggro and discomfort and, if I'd supplied the cheap parts (which, as it happens, it happens they would have let me), then overall they would have had to make up the lost "mark-up" somewhere because - as pointed out above - the cost of running a garage isn't just the cost of the time.

They have very expensive equipment to buy, maintain, and replace. They have utility bills that would make your eyes water thanks to lots of high power 440v 3 phase kit. They have admin and accountancy costs. They have training costs for the MOT scheme.

None of those are reflected in the hours worked, but they're all part of running a business and still have to be paid for. Paying a bit of mark-up on a known quality part helps towards that.

If you have a problem with that then you might be better joining a commune where everyone donates their labour according to ability with no reward beyond the good of the community.
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    hucker wrote: »
    And it's not a "different job". Most garages, I take the car in, they test it, fix the problems, then give me the certificate. All ONE job.

No, it's absolutely not one job - they'd lose their testing licence if they treated it as that. Apart from certain PRS items the MOT scheme is very clear indeed that repairs are NOT to be done as part of the test.

Therefore, separate jobs - (1) an MOT test and (2) separate repairs to be negotiated as needed.
  • F1F93
    F1F93 Posts: 366 Forumite
    I take care when I'm doing something dangerous - like having a spare chute when parachuting. The chances of needing a seatbelt are very slim if you drive properly. I did wear one for the first few years after I passed my test, until I was sure I'd never crash.

I sincerely hope you never reproduce.
  • Noree
    Noree Posts: 166 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    99% of accidents are driver error. The 1% caused by mechanical defects tend to be old worn out parts

:rotfl:

Great stat. Will not read this thread any further due to your idiotic opinion based on pure bull$***.
  • Noree wrote: »
    :rotfl:

Great stat. Will not read this thread any further due to your idiotic opinion based on pure bull$***.

Don`t stop reading, 137% of the OP`s posts are factual (base on a survey of 2 people) ;)
  • hucker
    hucker Posts: 112 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    almillar wrote: »
    You want to pay cost price for the part, no more.

You want to pay labour for the time they spend on your car, no more.

And that's it.
    So how does the garage pay for:
    electric
    water
    rates
    rent
    tools/equipment

storing parts/cashflow
    admin/banking
    etc etc.

As part of the labour charge, it's how the garage I now use works.
  • hucker
    I always give my mechanic parts to fit on my car as it's a Japanese import and he cannot source the parts more often than not.

If the parts failed I wouldn't dream of taking legal action, unless he'd fitted them incorrectly. It would be the manufacturer I'd be going after in that case.

Indeed, although at least one person in this thread believes your mechanic is breaking the law.
  • hucker
    Mercdriver wrote: »
    You are beyond belief, you really are. So if the driver of a car has to emergency brake through no fault of their own, they won't get killed by the same velocity and force of the unseatbelted person behind them?

Are you really as stupid as you sound? Please say it isn't so!

How is not looking in front of her and smashing into a car in front "no fault of her own"?
  • hucker
    So that would make you personally liable rather than an insurance company. Doesn't change anything at all. You don't get out of it by being uninsured. You'd be homeless and having to pay for damage to other properties as a result.

It's my risk to take. Not everybody assumes the worst all the time. You'll give yourself a heart attack worrying about possibilities like that.
  • hucker
    Don't try talking sense to him, he is not of this world. He lives in cloud cuckoo land where everything gets done his way. :beer:

How strange that 4 out of 5 garages I've been to are happy to fit my parts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure