Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MuffinTops
    • By MuffinTops 22nd Jul 18, 3:29 PM
    • 2,145Posts
    • 6,571Thanks
    MuffinTops
    Focus, Action & Consistency is the Key!
    • 22nd Jul 18, 3:29 PM
    Focus, Action & Consistency is the Key! 22nd Jul 18 at 3:29 PM
    Hello again,

I'm MuffinTops and I'm in the exciting position of being Mortgage and Debt free. This diary forum and many amazing posters seriously helped me get to this position.

I am in my 40's, single and living alone, and I do have a decently paid job. So what's the problem??? I have no long term focus. I became mortgage free a few years ago and since then my savings accounts do not even closely reflect my salary and necessary outgoings, and I'm still not really living either.

This diary is now about how to focus and to live the life I thought I was working towards when I was trying to clear my debts and mortgage. To do this I need to plan and act in my own best interests consistently.

There are so many areas of my life I've neglected over the years so although the main focus is on budgets and becoming financially self sufficient, I also have a lot of jobs I've neglected for too long, a lot of organising to do, and a whole lot of frogs to eat along the way.

Work is rubbish, and I hate it, but I'm finding that a mindset change is making things more bearable. I don't think my work situation is special in any way based on other diaries I've read, so maybe I need to focus less on what's going on around me at work, and more on my own path. I had considered resigning before finding another role or replacing the salary, but I've had a long hard logical think about that this weekend and I don't want to go back to existing, so I'll stick it out while I can.

I think that's enough for now. I know I'm in a fantastic position and I truly am so grateful for that, but I've also squandered some time and money which I feel I need to address immediately. It seems that unless I have a specific financial amount to aim for, I lose focus.

So I'm going to specify actual amounts in my budget (and on here) for certain areas (ie. savings, home improvements etc), so that I'm always working towards a goal. Home improvement goals etc will be based on specific costs to get work done. Savings will be a yearly goal (pro rata'd for this year).

I hope that it's still ok for me to post here, as it's such an inspirational place and has always made me much more mindful of my spending and other general habits and pushed me further than I can do by myself.
Page 2
    • Tinkerbelle2000
    • By Tinkerbelle2000 10th Aug 18, 11:21 AM
    • 585 Posts
    • 2,088 Thanks
    Tinkerbelle2000
    No storms up North yet MT. I wish it would to clear the air. Today could the the day though as it has gone really dark outside.

Tink xx
    As of 1st January 2018:- TOTAL: 2372.02/16591.97
    DEBT 1-38.96 DEBT 2-75.00/141.10 DEBT 3-25.00/297.41DEBT 4 - 35.00/644.12
    DEBT 5-0/700.00 DEBT 6-35.00/720.02 DEBT 7-660.47/1479.65 DEBT 8-514.20/1576.80
    DEBT 9-0/1622.49 DEBT 10-300.00/2300.00 DEBT 11-829.99/2722.44 DEBT 12-0/4349.39
    EMERGENCY FUND - 10/1000
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 10th Aug 18, 12:53 PM
    • 3,664 Posts
    • 5,732 Thanks
    another casualty
    Rain here . About time tbh. Might get some proper sleep now .
    Friday also
    • MuffinTops
    • By MuffinTops 10th Aug 18, 2:03 PM
    • 2,145 Posts
    • 6,571 Thanks
    MuffinTops
    I'm at work and the rain is coming down so hard it looks like I'm in a car wash! Yay to rain! We've had some drizzle days, but nothing like this. As long as I don't have to be outside during a storm I'm very happy!

Thanks Tink and AC. I hope you're experiencing this lovely rain today too.

MT
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 10th Aug 18, 3:15 PM
    • 57,349 Posts
    • 234,724 Thanks
    beanielou
    Was like that here earlier too!
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • MuffinTops
    • By MuffinTops 20th Aug 18, 3:16 PM
    • 2,145 Posts
    • 6,571 Thanks
    MuffinTops
    I went through my budget details for August and have overspent again. I needed a mattress topper, and got one for a bargain as my friend currently works for the company and he's leaving soon, so hopefully that's the last of the unexpected, or earlier than wished for spending.

This week and weekend I've decided to do as little going out as possible, which is all looking very doable right now. I don't get paid until next week, so want to just save as much as I can before the September budget becomes available.

I do plan to flip my current mattress (super king size with springs so it may kill me!) so that I can put my new topper on and hopefully have a joyous and comfortable sleeping experience. I'm working from home on Friday, so I think I'll do it then.

I did also book a Christmas weekend trip away today which i paid out for, but will get most of the money back. I'm trying to work out how to add that to YNAB without it setting off any nasty alarms. Although I guess I could take the money for it out of my untracked investments so that it doesn't really affect my standard budget. I think that makes the most sense.

Well it's the start of another fresh week. Already it's feeling like it's dragging but I think that's because I didn't sleep so well this weekend. An early night should be the ticket!

MT xx
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 22nd Aug 18, 12:35 PM
    • 3,664 Posts
    • 5,732 Thanks
    another casualty
    How's the topper MT?
    I have king size , and find it a pita putting that and the mattress protector etc on . The fitted sheets are the worst. As I crawl over one corner, the corner opposite decides to unspring itself . Repeat .

Humid again today . Apparently tomorrow onwards will be fresher.
    No complaints here
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,248Posts Today

8,750Users online

Martin's Twitter