Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • WelshKitty85
    • By WelshKitty85 22nd Jul 18, 1:03 PM
    • 847Posts
    • 6,943Thanks
    WelshKitty85
    £29,303...Enough is enough!
    • 22nd Jul 18, 1:03 PM
    £29,303...Enough is enough! 22nd Jul 18 at 1:03 PM
    So, Iíve had ďlightbulb momentsĒ before, but today Iíve reached breaking point. The realisation that we could lose everything, including a roof over the childrenís heads, has slapped me in the face. From £4844 of debt 18 months ago, we are now at an all time high of £29,303. Yes, we have things to show for it. Weíve bought a new house and immediately spent £12,000 on repair work and decorating (we had budgeted around £7,000 but lots of cracks had literally been papered over). We also have 3 cars on the drive (Iíll come back to this later). But Iíve had the realisation that we could lose it all in a heartbeat as weíre living beyond our means.

Today is the day that things have to change. Iím off to brew up, cry into my cup of tea, then make a plan. Iíll be back...
    Enough is enough...
    £29,603 (22/7/18) £22,906
Page 4
    • WelshKitty85
    • By WelshKitty85 4th Aug 18, 11:17 AM
    • 847 Posts
    • 6,943 Thanks
    WelshKitty85
    Another £12 sale this morning, so I currently have £35 in cash and £13.26 in PayPal (after fees), making a grand total of £48.26/£145 towards performing arts fees. DC2 is booked in for surgery this week and will be housebound for around 2 weeks afterwards, so must make the effort to use this time at home productively, do more decluttering and get more items listed for sale.
    Enough is enough...
    • WelshKitty85
    • By WelshKitty85 4th Aug 18, 8:43 PM
    • 847 Posts
    • 6,943 Thanks
    WelshKitty85
    Another £6 sale. Current balances £35 cash & £18.92 PayPal = £53.92/£145
    Enough is enough...
    • WelshKitty85
    • By WelshKitty85 6th Aug 18, 12:18 PM
    • 847 Posts
    • 6,943 Thanks
    WelshKitty85
    Yesterday was a spend day:
    Weekly shop £44.86
    Christmas £6.08

Attended a first birthday party so the children were all entertained and fed (and I even nabbed a spare ice cream that was going to waste).

DD has another birthday party today (better social life than me!).

Hitachi loans payment has gone out today, so nice to see the numbers coming down. I'm looking forward to getting this one below £11,000.
    Enough is enough...
    • WelshKitty85
    • By WelshKitty85 7th Aug 18, 8:22 PM
    • 847 Posts
    • 6,943 Thanks
    WelshKitty85
    DH has had a last minute call asking him to work tomorrow, which is obviously great news for the budget, BUT has left me feeling physically sick at the thought of going alone tomorrow to take DC2 for his op. It's a fairly routine procedure (he's had it done before but the problem reoccurred) and I know he'll be fine but I'm dreading sitting in the hospital alone while he's in surgery.

Done a small top up shop (£2.59) for DHs lunch supplies since we weren't expecting him to be working. Must prep his lunch and some supplies for the hospital tonight as it's an early start tomorrow.

I have also spent £5.99 on an item (reduced from £25.99) to put away for DC1 for Christmas. PA balance is currently just over £22 with £4 pending, so more than covers the Xmas spends so far.

We have had some good money news today. We complained to the Ombudsman about our estate agent when we moved. Our complaint was upheld and £100 compensation has been paid today. I also complained to the company we had our sofas from. We returned them as they were faulty but had 4 failed collections. I requested compensation for DH having to take time off work (he had to take the window out) and they have emailed today to say they are sending £150 gift voucher.
    Enough is enough...
    • WelshKitty85
    • By WelshKitty85 10th Aug 18, 9:51 PM
    • 847 Posts
    • 6,943 Thanks
    WelshKitty85
    DS has had his op. The hospital staff were amazing (he even had a visit from a therapy dog after the op) and he was home the same day.

Sold a few more items, but have also purchased school shoes using nectar points and PayPal balance, and a nearly new school jumper using £3 cash, so need to add up the pots again. Still got a way to go to earn enough to pay DDs performing arts fees, but I do have nearly £30 in PA (that I was saving for Xmas) that I could transfer over, then start Xmas savings over next months. Will re-evaluate next week and make a decision.

DH has had 2 more days work confirmed which is always a relief.
    Enough is enough...
    • WelshKitty85
    • By WelshKitty85 12th Aug 18, 2:31 PM
    • 847 Posts
    • 6,943 Thanks
    WelshKitty85
    Weekly shop done yesterday. Grocery spend this month is currently £117.32. This is a bit higher than I would have liked, thanks to a few top up shops. Will need another top up this week for toilet rolls and bread towards the end of the week, so will need to be strict with the next 2 weekly shops to stay under my £200 budget for the month.

A bit of a lazy day today as we had a difficult night with DC3 and differing views on letting him 'cry it out'. Hoping tonight will be better. Have managed to list a few items on eBay, though still have lots more to sort.
    Enough is enough...
    • Kitten868
    • By Kitten868 12th Aug 18, 9:07 PM
    • 994 Posts
    • 2,283 Thanks
    Kitten868
    Hello!

Trying to remember who it was but one of the threads on here she downgraded her hp car and she was elated. Might be worth a read. I'm not nagging you, just thought you should get to read the other perspective. It's so hard to know what to do. We got totally mugged off with my last car- he didn't tell me it was written off (must have been a hideous crash) and it didn't even have the engine screwed back on right so I panic bought a brand new car. I know the feeling... And the debt dodgy cars bring. And summer holidays/mat leave - you're never going to find a better time to be carless.
    Have you considered task rabbit or similar for your oh? Just to get the money in.
    I'm in awe of your low grocery spend. I can never get mine low.
    Keep up the great work. Houses are so expensive. We are currently doing my kitchen in bits as we can't afford it all. Total nightmare. Such hard work living in a building site. With sofas i just love ikea. X
    Loan 1 £5500/£8000
    Loan 2 £3500/£5800
    Total £9000/£13800 35% PAID

And CC £1550/1900
    • WelshKitty85
    • By WelshKitty85 12th Aug 18, 9:37 PM
    • 847 Posts
    • 6,943 Thanks
    WelshKitty85
    Hello!

Trying to remember who it was but one of the threads on here she downgraded her hp car and she was elated. Might be worth a read. I'm not nagging you, just thought you should get to read the other perspective. It's so hard to know what to do. We got totally mugged off with my last car- he didn't tell me it was written off (must have been a hideous crash) and it didn't even have the engine screwed back on right so I panic bought a brand new car. I know the feeling... And the debt dodgy cars bring. And summer holidays/mat leave - you're never going to find a better time to be carless.
    Have you considered task rabbit or similar for your oh? Just to get the money in.
    I'm in awe of your low grocery spend. I can never get mine low.
    Keep up the great work. Houses are so expensive. We are currently doing my kitchen in bits as we can't afford it all. Total nightmare. Such hard work living in a building site. With sofas i just love ikea. X
    Originally posted by Kitten868
    Hello & thank you for your suggestions

Being without a car at the moment isn't an option primarily due to DC2 & DC3s medical conditions and hospital appointments. The nearest hospital is a 30 minute drive away. Plus my mat leave is due to end next week (I'm waiting to see if some annual leave to extend it has been approved). And in all honesty I love my car! It's practical, fuel efficient and reliable. I don't smoke, very rarely drink, we don't eat out much etc. My car is my treat.

I hadn't heard of task rabbit so thanks for mentioning it. I've just looked it up quickly but will have a more in depth look tomorrow. DH has done ok for hours so far this month and the agency have mentioned the possibility of a more regular contract in his preferred area of work, so fingers crossed something will come of that. But it's always a good idea to have other options available to him.

Our grocery spend has always been relatively low. I cook most things from scratch and get a lot of yellow stickers bargains ( well red actually in Ald!). My MIL spends well over £100 on her weekly shops then around £50 on top ups. I honestly don't know what I would buy with a grocery budget that high.

The house has cost us a fortune. At one point we found a leak so bad that we'd had to take the plaster off the inside wall and the cladding from the outside. We were temporarily renting the house directly opposite and I could have cried looking across the road and being able to see straight into DC2s new bedroom! Thankfully the house is pretty much done now so apart from a fire surround and plants for the garden we are not anticipating many house spends for the foreseeable future.

That was a bit of an epic post. Can you tell I'm sat alone, bored and lonely??
    Enough is enough...
    • JonW1984
    • By JonW1984 13th Aug 18, 1:59 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 146 Thanks
    JonW1984
    Well done with your debt busting, sounds like you have a tight rein on the spends. Did you have any joy with the misdescribed car refund in the end?
    18/06/18 - £16,189.29
    18/07/18 - £15,384.34

18/08/18 - £14,928.23
    • WelshKitty85
    • By WelshKitty85 13th Aug 18, 2:31 PM
    • 847 Posts
    • 6,943 Thanks
    WelshKitty85
    Well done with your debt busting, sounds like you have a tight rein on the spends. Did you have any joy with the misdescribed car refund in the end?
    Originally posted by JonW1984
    Thank you. We had a letter last week asking for further information which I replied to the same day. So it's a waiting game again now.
    Enough is enough...
    • WelshKitty85
    • By WelshKitty85 13th Aug 18, 2:36 PM
    • 847 Posts
    • 6,943 Thanks
    WelshKitty85
    I think I mentioned already that we received a £150 voucher as compensation for the failed collections of the sofa we returned. DH & I decided there was nothing we really wanted to buy with the voucher so we have sold it for £125. That means we now have more than enough to pay DDs performing arts fee and some left over to go into Xmas savings etc. DH is pestering me to get my hair done (yes it looks awful but Ive been putting off the spend). I think I may compromise and book into the hairdressers for a cut before I go back to work, but colour it myself.
    Enough is enough...
    • DMP_Tiger
    • By DMP_Tiger 13th Aug 18, 3:06 PM
    • 175 Posts
    • 500 Thanks
    DMP_Tiger
    Hi WK85. I've just been having a read of your diary.

My daughter does dance/performing arts and I used to stress every time we had a bill. Now I have worked out how much it costs per year (around £1k ) I put £90 per month into a savings account so whether it's fees, show tickets, costumes or whatever - the money is always there.

She has food allergies too, do you know yet what your DC's allergies are? My daughter's are dairy and wheat.

Regarding your car. I used to have a company car which was renewed every 3 years (changed job now and no car ). Even though I was constantly on a downer about having no money, I used to feel great driving around in a nice car - especially socially. Debt is not good for our mental health so if your car makes you feel good and it's in your budget then I say keep it!!

Hope you're managing the summer hols ok. It's always a drain on the finances!
    August 2018: Secured Debt £70,003 Unsecured Debt (DMP) £34,657 Total £104,660 DFD: March 2031
    October 2018: Secured Debt £69,317 Unsecured Debt (DMP) £34,682 Total £103,999 DFD: March 2031
    • WelshKitty85
    • By WelshKitty85 13th Aug 18, 3:32 PM
    • 847 Posts
    • 6,943 Thanks
    WelshKitty85
    Hi WK85. I've just been having a read of your diary.

My daughter does dance/performing arts and I used to stress every time we had a bill. Now I have worked out how much it costs per year (around £1k ) I put £90 per month into a savings account so whether it's fees, show tickets, costumes or whatever - the money is always there.

She has food allergies too, do you know yet what your DC's allergies are? My daughter's are dairy and wheat.

Regarding your car. I used to have a company car which was renewed every 3 years (changed job now and no car ). Even though I was constantly on a downer about having no money, I used to feel great driving around in a nice car - especially socially. Debt is not good for our mental health so if your car makes you feel good and it's in your budget then I say keep it!!

Hope you're managing the summer hols ok. It's always a drain on the finances!
    Originally posted by DMP_Tiger
    Thanks for popping in

DDs performing arts "only" costs £145.80 for the year (plus tickets to watch the shows, costume fees etc). We could pay per half term but we get a 10 % discount if we pay for the year which is why I've been trying to scrape it together. I also like the peace of mind knowing its paid for another year. I do need to start putting money aside for shows though.

So far we think DC3 is allergic to egg and peanuts but he's only 8 months old so still yet to try lots of foods.

Thank you for understanding about the car

I love the school holidays. DC1 & DC2 are at the in laws for a few days (they refuse to have DC3 ) but I'm really missing them. I've been tempted a few time to go and pick them up but it's a half hour drive away and I keep telling myself to save the fuel for a day out with them.
    Enough is enough...
    • DMP_Tiger
    • By DMP_Tiger 13th Aug 18, 3:49 PM
    • 175 Posts
    • 500 Thanks
    DMP_Tiger
    Enjoy your time with DC3 and do stuff that maybe only DC3 enjoys that you can't normally do when you have them all....

My daughter is at a summer school this week with a show at the end of the week. £130 plus £23 for a costume plus however much they are going to charge for tickets. All taken out of "dance savings" pot, which is now almost empty....
    August 2018: Secured Debt £70,003 Unsecured Debt (DMP) £34,657 Total £104,660 DFD: March 2031
    October 2018: Secured Debt £69,317 Unsecured Debt (DMP) £34,682 Total £103,999 DFD: March 2031
    • WelshKitty85
    • By WelshKitty85 13th Aug 18, 10:24 PM
    • 847 Posts
    • 6,943 Thanks
    WelshKitty85
    So I've been trying to plan ahead and set myself some more savings targets. So far on my list we have:
    DHs car insurance - due November - approx £400
    Home insurance - due November - ?
    DH car tax - due January - £315
    My car insurance - due February - £250

We'll also obviously have expenses such as birthdays and Christmas. I've estimated that we need to start putting aside around £200 per month to be able to pay such things up front, but it's difficult to plan for this when we don't know how much is coming in each month. I need to make a conscious effort to finish decluttering and listing items for sale in the next couple of weeks before I go back to work and make a head start on putting money aside.

Sorry if I'm not making much sense to anyone else. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down in writing and start formulating a plan that makes sense to me.
    Enough is enough...
    • WelshKitty85
    • By WelshKitty85 14th Aug 18, 7:26 AM
    • 847 Posts
    • 6,943 Thanks
    WelshKitty85
    This month wages are pending in my bank account and it's showing £149.48 more than I had budgeted My maternity leave officially ends this week, so this months wages are a combination of mat pay and salary, so I think I probably just calculated it wrong. I should have my pay slip by the end of the day so will check it first, but my plan is to spend £39 booking a safari park trip for the family then transfer £100 to start off my savings pot.
    Enough is enough...
    • DMP_Tiger
    • By DMP_Tiger 14th Aug 18, 8:58 AM
    • 175 Posts
    • 500 Thanks
    DMP_Tiger
    Always good when you have more money than you thought! I love it when that happens
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 14th Aug 18, 9:09 AM
    • 6,492 Posts
    • 24,249 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Sorry if I'm not making much sense to anyone else. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down in writing and start formulating a plan that makes sense to me.
    Originally posted by WelshKitty85
    I find that putting it down in my diary helps to organise my thoughts

This month wages are pending in my bank account and it's showing £149.48 more than I had budgeted
    Originally posted by WelshKitty85
    Yay to extra money, always a good thing xx
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    MBNA: £5860.00 BC: £395.64 Cap One: GONE Lloyds: £10,150.00
    OD £0/£500 LC £150/£1500 Washer £50/£309.99
    POAMAYC 2018 #041 PD £7219.86/£7000
    Savings for Christmas £344.80/£400
    20p Savers 2018 £2 Savers 2018 50p Savers 2018 SPC 11 2018 #003
    • WelshKitty85
    • By WelshKitty85 14th Aug 18, 8:30 PM
    • 847 Posts
    • 6,943 Thanks
    WelshKitty85
    I've had my payslip. Seeing my mat pay come to an end makes me feel sad that my maternity leave is over. But, my pay seems correct so with the extra £149 I have paid £39 for safari park tickets and transferred £110 to savings. I've also transferred £162 from PayPal (leaving enough in there to cover fees), paid off DDs performing arts fee for the year, and transferred the remaining £17 to savings. So, my savings pot currently stands at £127. I'm considering looking for a savings account that lets me input savings 'pots', but I might just make do with my spreadsheets instead.

I still have £30 in my purse from items I sold, but might keep hold of this to pay for the hairdresser. Although, I have no idea how much it will cost for me and DD - I'm not sure what the going rate is now.

Im not sure if I'm making much sense right now as DC3 is in bed crying so I can't hear myself think We're persevering with controlled crying, but he now starts to cry as soon as I put my foot on the first step to take him upstairs to bed!! He is getting better though and settles after 5-10 minutes, then sleeps through until about 6 (I hope by posting this I haven't just cursed myself with a sleepless night ).

Oh and I've just remembered, DD and I are going to see Shrek the musical next week. We booked it months ago though her musical theatre class for about half the normal price. Will stock up on drinks and snacks from the supermarket to keep costs down too.
    Enough is enough...
    • WelshKitty85
    • By WelshKitty85 15th Aug 18, 7:17 AM
    • 847 Posts
    • 6,943 Thanks
    WelshKitty85
    It was lovely to have all my babies home under one roof last night.

DD and I have started working through her craft sets (birthday & Xmas presents that never get used) that are sat on top of her wardrobe gathering dust. Yesterday we taught ourselves how to 'knit' and we made a bobble hat. I am very impressed with our efforts and we have enough wool left to make another.

Wages have been paid and my bank account is looking rather healthy this morning. But that's because the big bills like the mortgage don't go out until tomorrow .

We are going to view a nursery for DC3 today, although I'm doing a phased return to work so won't need childcare until at least October. Thankfully my mum is an absolute star and will have DC3 2 days a week. I'm hoping to find somewhere that will offer a flexible contract so we can change the days according to DHs work, but the ones that do this seem to be much more expensive. I have been paying into childcare vouchers for the last year so have a little saved up to cover at least the first month of childcare, but think we would be better of switching to tax credits after that.
    Enough is enough...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

120Posts Today

1,309Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I'm v moved by many of ur comments on #10Things tonight. Very thankful it was seen in the spirit it was meant. I'm? https://t.co/JaeoPqIczM

• RT @MartinSLewis: Many asking about the free finanacial education textbook for schools - it's out in a couple of weeks - here's info https:?

• RT @psychotherapyMM: @MartinSLewis ?there?s a sacrifice? Most valuable point tonight. Success (however that looks) does not come easy. Nobo?

• Follow Martin