Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bristol123
    • By bristol123 22nd Jul 18, 10:05 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 1Thanks
    bristol123
    Bristol {text removed by MSE Forum Team} Spareroom ad
    • 22nd Jul 18, 10:05 AM
    Bristol {text removed by MSE Forum Team} Spareroom ad 22nd Jul 18 at 10:05 AM
    WARNING.

To anybody who uses 'Spareroom' to source accommodation long or short term, avoid this in {text removed by MSE Forum Team} Bristol at all cost.
    I needed somewhere in Bristol urgently after needing to relocate, I went to view his place, felt uncomfortable from the start and then I was in the property wondering how to leave without either getting trapped or thinking something was going to happen to me.

Nothing against people who are slightly different, but he is a creepy man, from the looks he gives you and his approach, he wanted to see my ID, that is fine but then took photos of it straight away after this he was standing there taking photos of me from all angles and lighting telling me to smile all before seeing any official paperwork, signature and even asking me if I wanted my photo taken.
    He went upstairs after this and asked on the middle of the stairs when I needed the room for, when I said ASAP he gave a strange look/smirk, nodded and carried on upstairs, I was fully worried by this point I was trapped.

He claims he works in IT from home, I'm not jumping to any conclusions of this mans intentions or personal life, but I don't believe what he is running there in that property is what it seems, what is he doing with those photos or information on my ID? what would of happened if I did stay there?
    Coincidence or convenience all the other house mates were not in the property, could be jumping to conclusions there of course.

I said I needed to read the small print and left, he emailed shortly after saying the agreement was no good to him.

Just a warning to people looking in Bristol, if you are going to go view the place be vigilant.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 23-07-2018 at 10:07 AM.
Page 2
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 10th Aug 18, 12:17 PM
    • 4,903 Posts
    • 4,920 Thanks
    Comms69
    People do sometimes comply with weird requests, that doesn't mean they aren't weird. - Why would they comply then? Something to do with authority figures, I think, and a potential landlord could be seen as having some authority. - Well people should grow a back bone then.

I guess you could justify asking to see ID in the same way you'd ask someone from a utility company to show ID before coming into your home, but I still find taking a photograph of it when you don't even know if they're going to take the room weird. - Ok it's weird, it's not illegal.

Do you honestly not find the little photo shoot weird? Is that something people commonly experience during viewings?
    Originally posted by Sunny Intervals
    No, but it's not illegal and I can certainly understand why it's done.

From the other perspective this person is going to be letting a total stranger in their home
    • Sunny Intervals
    • By Sunny Intervals 10th Aug 18, 12:26 PM
    • 416 Posts
    • 1,327 Thanks
    Sunny Intervals
    No, but it's not illegal and I can certainly understand why it's done.

From the other perspective this person is going to be letting a total stranger in their home
    Originally posted by Comms69

We weren't talking about whether or not it was illegal. You said "Nothing you said was strange." and told him to get over himself. But something he said was strange, so I don't think it was fair to completely dismiss his concerns.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 10th Aug 18, 12:32 PM
    • 4,903 Posts
    • 4,920 Thanks
    Comms69
    We weren't talking about whether or not it was illegal. You said "Nothing you said was strange." and told him to get over himself. But something he said was strange, so I don't think it was fair to completely dismiss his concerns.
    Originally posted by Sunny Intervals

Sorry when did you start dictating what we are and are not talking about?

No I don't think it's strange. No more than people who preach the bible on the highstreet. Or have bright green hair. Or whatever personal choices people want to make.

I don't do it, but I don't care if anyone else does.
    • Sunny Intervals
    • By Sunny Intervals 10th Aug 18, 12:42 PM
    • 416 Posts
    • 1,327 Thanks
    Sunny Intervals
    Sorry when did you start dictating what we are and are not talking about?

No I don't think it's strange. No more than people who preach the bible on the highstreet. Or have bright green hair. Or whatever personal choices people want to make.

I don't do it, but I don't care if anyone else does.
    Originally posted by Comms69

Huh? You said it wasn't strange, I said it was, in the sense that it's unusual and I've never heard of it happening before, so querying it is normal. I'm not dictating what we were talking about, that's just what we were talking about, then you changed the goal posts and made the conversation about whether or not it was illegal. As far as I can see, the OP didn't say it was illegal or that they were reporting him to the Police, so I didn't understand how that came into the conversation.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,897Posts Today

9,946Users online

Martin's Twitter