Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bristol123
    • By bristol123 22nd Jul 18, 10:05 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 1Thanks
    bristol123
    Bristol {text removed by MSE Forum Team} Spareroom ad
    • 22nd Jul 18, 10:05 AM
    Bristol {text removed by MSE Forum Team} Spareroom ad 22nd Jul 18 at 10:05 AM
    WARNING.

To anybody who uses 'Spareroom' to source accommodation long or short term, avoid this in {text removed by MSE Forum Team} Bristol at all cost.
    I needed somewhere in Bristol urgently after needing to relocate, I went to view his place, felt uncomfortable from the start and then I was in the property wondering how to leave without either getting trapped or thinking something was going to happen to me.

Nothing against people who are slightly different, but he is a creepy man, from the looks he gives you and his approach, he wanted to see my ID, that is fine but then took photos of it straight away after this he was standing there taking photos of me from all angles and lighting telling me to smile all before seeing any official paperwork, signature and even asking me if I wanted my photo taken.
    He went upstairs after this and asked on the middle of the stairs when I needed the room for, when I said ASAP he gave a strange look/smirk, nodded and carried on upstairs, I was fully worried by this point I was trapped.

He claims he works in IT from home, I'm not jumping to any conclusions of this mans intentions or personal life, but I don't believe what he is running there in that property is what it seems, what is he doing with those photos or information on my ID? what would of happened if I did stay there?
    Coincidence or convenience all the other house mates were not in the property, could be jumping to conclusions there of course.

I said I needed to read the small print and left, he emailed shortly after saying the agreement was no good to him.

Just a warning to people looking in Bristol, if you are going to go view the place be vigilant.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 23-07-2018 at 10:07 AM.
Page 1
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 22nd Jul 18, 10:12 AM
    • 1,857 Posts
    • 707 Thanks
    sevenhills
    • 22nd Jul 18, 10:12 AM
    • 22nd Jul 18, 10:12 AM
    Nothing against people who are slightly different, but he is a creepy man, from the looks he gives you and his approach, he wanted to see my ID, that is fine but then took photos of it straight away.
    Originally posted by bristol123

I did the same with my lodger, I should have done more, but I tend to trust people too much.

• Rosieandjim
    • By Rosieandjim 22nd Jul 18, 10:19 AM
    • 114 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    Rosieandjim
    • 22nd Jul 18, 10:19 AM
    • 22nd Jul 18, 10:19 AM
    Why don't you inform the police?
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 22nd Jul 18, 10:38 AM
    • 7,336 Posts
    • 7,051 Thanks
    00ec25
    • 22nd Jul 18, 10:38 AM
    • 22nd Jul 18, 10:38 AM
    Why don't you inform the police?
    Originally posted by Rosieandjim
    about what?
    Please think through what you are alleging. What is your evidence for a crime? "I felt uncomfortable"?

We don't know if the OP is male or female. Reporting that someone took my photo whilst I was inside his house on a pre-arranged visit whilst he had a just reason to do so (but maybe not many afterwards), is just pure overreaction and borders on defamation.
    • bristol123
    • By bristol123 22nd Jul 18, 10:50 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    bristol123
    • 22nd Jul 18, 10:50 AM
    • 22nd Jul 18, 10:50 AM
    I have lived all across the world with people from all walks of life, nationalities ect, never been somewhere feeling like I was never going to be able to leave without sneaking out of the property, so don't feel like it is an over reaction (in my opinion, from being in the situation)
    Then say for security or ID purposes would you mind me taking some photos, not just take them from every angel saying smile for the camera, when nothing has been confirmed of me even taking the place.
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 22nd Jul 18, 11:10 AM
    • 1,020 Posts
    • 1,240 Thanks
    need an answer
    • 22nd Jul 18, 11:10 AM
    • 22nd Jul 18, 11:10 AM
    Is there a feedback button or a contact button connected to the Advertisement that you could use to give feedback,or even to the site itself.

I understand your need to warn others,I'm just not sure if you have gone the right way about it by just posting your thoughts and possibly enough info for others to identify this person(rightly or wrongly) is the best way of tackling your situation.

Anyone who answers a small ad for a room should be vigilant that goes without saying but I think you may need something more than a hunch before you do start using public forums to out this person.
    Last edited by need an answer; 22-07-2018 at 11:12 AM.
    in S 42 T 64 F 73
    out S 60 T 70 F 79
    2017 -32
    • bristol123
    • By bristol123 22nd Jul 18, 11:25 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    bristol123
    • 22nd Jul 18, 11:25 AM
    • 22nd Jul 18, 11:25 AM
    Well I think I have gone through the right avenues.
    Would feel bad if I didn!!!8217;t say anything and something did materialize later down the line.
    The whole point of forums is to share experiences positive or negative so that people can use the information to help make decisions, that is ultimately why people use them.
    I am sharing my experience as a red flag for people so they can be aware of they are going to use him.
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 22nd Jul 18, 11:28 AM
    • 1,020 Posts
    • 1,240 Thanks
    need an answer
    • 22nd Jul 18, 11:28 AM
    • 22nd Jul 18, 11:28 AM
    Well I think I have gone through the right avenues.
    Would feel bad if I didn!!!8217;t say anything and something did materialize later down the line.
    The whole point of forums is to share experiences positive or negative so that people can use the information to help make decisions, that is ultimately why people use them.
    I am sharing my experience as a red flag for people so they can be aware of they are going to use him.
    so how many other forums have you posted this on?
    in S 42 T 64 F 73
    out S 60 T 70 F 79
    2017 -32
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 22nd Jul 18, 11:46 AM
    • 1,857 Posts
    • 707 Thanks
    sevenhills
    • 22nd Jul 18, 11:46 AM
    • 22nd Jul 18, 11:46 AM

Your experience of being made to feel uncomfortable, no crime or even a breach of privacy(you allowed him to take photos).
    It would be better to use these forums as a place for discussion, not to inform 1% of the population.

• HWG
    • By HWG 22nd Jul 18, 12:45 PM
    • 68 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    HWG
    I think we need to give the OP a little credit here - that was a very unusual, creepy thing for the landlord to do, and it would certainly have alarmed me.
    There's no reason to do it for contractual or business purposes, and it certainly strikes me that the next most plausible reason may be something quite unsavoury.

Sure, there's not quite a crime committed here, but what if there is next time? If (god forbid) something did happen to the next tennant, how would you guys feel about having mocked the OP and told them to do nothing?

I think the OP should email Spareroom at least, and advise them of what happened. I imagine they might be keen to end the relationship with the landlord.
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 22nd Jul 18, 12:54 PM
    • 1,020 Posts
    • 1,240 Thanks
    need an answer

I think the OP should email Spareroom at least, and advise them of what happened. I imagine they might be keen to end the relationship with the landlord.
    Originally posted by HWG
    This was my suggestion several posts ago.

Hopefully the OP may do as we both have suggested.

I totally agree with your comments regarding safety issues and the making people aware,what I perhaps at this stage don't feel so comfortable with is the way in which the OP may be identifying the person who could be quite simply a law abiding citizen.

A lot of damage could be done to a persons reputation in a few un thought out rants online.
    in S 42 T 64 F 73
    out S 60 T 70 F 79
    2017 -32
    • The Earl of Streatham
    • By The Earl of Streatham 22nd Jul 18, 1:13 PM
    • 133 Posts
    • 259 Thanks
    The Earl of Streatham
    Bristol has form for creepy men. Trust your judgement. After all, if you're wrong nobody gets hurt, right?
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 22nd Jul 18, 1:26 PM
    • 7,336 Posts
    • 7,051 Thanks
    00ec25
    After all, if you're wrong nobody gets hurt, right?
    Originally posted by The Earl of Streatham
    tell that to Sir Cliff Richard

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/sir-cliff-will-never-be-the-same-again-says-close-friend-gloria-hunniford-xbmfg68jk
    • Rosieandjim
    • By Rosieandjim 22nd Jul 18, 1:28 PM
    • 114 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    Rosieandjim
    about what?
    Please think through what you are alleging. What is your evidence for a crime? "I felt uncomfortable"?

We don't know if the OP is male or female. Reporting that someone took my photo whilst I was inside his house on a pre-arranged visit whilst he had a just reason to do so (but maybe not many afterwards), is just pure overreaction and borders on defamation.
    Originally posted by 00ec25

I am not alleging anything the op is. There is no way I would have allowed someone to take that many photos, pre-arranged visit or not. Maybe next time take someone with her
    • Rosieandjim
    • By Rosieandjim 22nd Jul 18, 1:30 PM
    • 114 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    Rosieandjim
    I have lived all across the world with people from all walks of life, nationalities ect, never been somewhere feeling like I was never going to be able to leave without sneaking out of the property, so don't feel like it is an over reaction (in my opinion, from being in the situation)
    Then say for security or ID purposes would you mind me taking some photos, not just take them from every angel saying smile for the camera, when nothing has been confirmed of me even taking the place.

Could not have said it better
    • elsien
    • By elsien 10th Aug 18, 11:24 AM
    • 17,847 Posts
    • 45,356 Thanks
    elsien
    WARNING.

felt uncomfortable from the start and then I was in the property wondering how to leave without either getting trapped or thinking something was going on........., I'm not jumping to any conclusions of this mans intentions or personal life, but I don't believe what he is running there in that property is what it seems, what is he doing with those photos or information on my ID? what would of happened if I did stay there?

I think you'll find you are.
    If you have genuine safety concerns, take it to spare rooms or the relevant authorities such as the police, but plastering someone who has done nothing wrong all over social media is not the way to go.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 10th Aug 18, 11:44 AM
    • 5,980 Posts
    • 6,251 Thanks
    Comms69
    The photo shoot sounded pretty strange. I viewed a fair number of properties when I was renting. No-one ever took a picture of me, let alone several from different angles, and I wasn't expected to show ID until I actually took the room.
    Originally posted by Sunny Intervals

Right to rent checks, so photo of ID would be very sensible - always.

Photo of the person, incase they abscond having cleared out the silverware.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 10th Aug 18, 11:59 AM
    • 5,980 Posts
    • 6,251 Thanks
    Comms69
    And yet, I've never heard of this being done at the viewing. It is strange, in the sense of it being unusual, so I can see why the OP would query it.

I wouldn't have jumped straight to publically naming and shaming, but bringing up concerns with spareroom if someone does something weird to you during a viewing seems fine to me.
    But the OP voluntarily presented the ID; presumably therefore keen to take the room.

Otherwise you'd just say no?
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 10th Aug 18, 12:17 PM
    • 5,980 Posts
    • 6,251 Thanks
    Comms69
    People do sometimes comply with weird requests, that doesn't mean they aren't weird. - Why would they comply then? Something to do with authority figures, I think, and a potential landlord could be seen as having some authority. - Well people should grow a back bone then.

I guess you could justify asking to see ID in the same way you'd ask someone from a utility company to show ID before coming into your home, but I still find taking a photograph of it when you don't even know if they're going to take the room weird. - Ok it's weird, it's not illegal.

Do you honestly not find the little photo shoot weird? Is that something people commonly experience during viewings?
    No, but it's not illegal and I can certainly understand why it's done.

From the other perspective this person is going to be letting a total stranger in their home
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 10th Aug 18, 12:32 PM
    • 5,980 Posts
    • 6,251 Thanks
    Comms69
    We weren't talking about whether or not it was illegal. You said "Nothing you said was strange." and told him to get over himself. But something he said was strange, so I don't think it was fair to completely dismiss his concerns.

Sorry when did you start dictating what we are and are not talking about?

No I don't think it's strange. No more than people who preach the bible on the highstreet. Or have bright green hair. Or whatever personal choices people want to make.

I don't do it, but I don't care if anyone else does.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,606Posts Today

7,136Users online

Martin's Twitter