Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • Farway
    • By Farway 1st Nov 07, 7:26 AM
    • 7,830 Posts
    • 15,873 Thanks
    Farway
    • 1st Nov 07, 7:26 AM
    • 1st Nov 07, 7:26 AM
    For me it was the way I was brought up, post war rationing, eat it or go without and never waste food

Oddly enough there was an interview on "Today" radio 4 only 30 minutes ago about food waste

There is a new web site going live at 0900 this morning with loads of tips [so they said], but for the life of me I can't remember what it was called
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 1st Nov 07, 7:27 AM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    • 1st Nov 07, 7:27 AM
    • 1st Nov 07, 7:27 AM
    Hi sola,

I freeze left over veg to add later to soups and stocks.

You might be interested in these older threads:

15p out of every spent on food is thrown away....what a waste

Waste list

Pink
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 1st Nov 07, 8:04 AM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    • 1st Nov 07, 8:04 AM
    • 1st Nov 07, 8:04 AM
    I actually have a very good recipe for eggless chocolate cakes made with cocoa

I shall be scraping the burnt bits off my Halloween pumpkins and cooking the remains to use in soup or muffins (I've already cooked the bits I scraped out when carving it).

I try and use up everything. I find leftover veg quite a challenge though. I try to save all the leftover veg in a tub in the freezer for future soups, or use it in a hash.

I know it is a cliche but I really do think about people starving in Africa and elsewhere whenever we have leftover food. I'm also trying to cook a bit less at mealtimes so that leftovers are minimised and we don't overeat (overeating is just as wasteful).
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 1st Nov 07, 8:18 AM
    • 17,088 Posts
    • 132,754 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    • 1st Nov 07, 8:18 AM
    • 1st Nov 07, 8:18 AM
    I try and use up everything. I find leftover veg quite a challenge though. I try to save all the leftover veg in a tub in the freezer for future soups, or use it in a hash.

I know it is a cliche but I really do think about people starving in Africa and elsewhere whenever we have leftover food. I'm also trying to cook a bit less at mealtimes so that leftovers are minimised and we don't overeat (overeating is just as wasteful).
    Originally posted by thriftlady
    I so agree

We rarely throw food, either. I don't menu plan religiously, but every couple of days I look to see what needs using, and cook, freeze, or otherwise preserve it.

With veg, I chop and freeze it, and it goes into pasta sauce, stews or soup.

For me it was the way I was brought up. I hate to see waste of any kind. I've now become conscious of the ethical aspects of food production and consumption.

There was another thread recently about food waste. I'll see if I can find it.

Thriftlady, love your new sig, btw

Penny. x
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 1st Nov 07, 8:22 AM
    • 17,088 Posts
    • 132,754 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    • 1st Nov 07, 8:22 AM
    • 1st Nov 07, 8:22 AM
    Here you go - Throwing food away.

Penny. x
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
    • catznine
    • By catznine 1st Nov 07, 8:37 AM
    • 3,187 Posts
    • 24,544 Thanks
    catznine
    • 1st Nov 07, 8:37 AM
    • 1st Nov 07, 8:37 AM
    Hello hope you don't mind me joining in as I haven't been around for a while,

This has I am sure saved me lot of pennies! If I don't think I will use up food quickly then I will take time out to freeze and "squirrel" some of it away e.g.

take some slices off my hm loaf to freeze for emergency toast in a hurry later.

Freeze half the bottle of milk in a suitable container

Prep and freeze some veg that looks like it won't make it through the week (I have 4 carrots from my veg box just waiting for me to do that today)

Grate and freeze surplus cheese in handy sized zip locs ready for topping lasagne or adding to a quiche

Slice tired mushrooms and gently cook in butter and freeze in marge containers. Just reheat in a pan and add to dinners. I know there are healthier ways of preserving mushrooms though but this is yummy.
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge 35.77/120
    • dannahaz
    • By dannahaz 1st Nov 07, 9:11 AM
    • 1,069 Posts
    • 4,413 Thanks
    dannahaz
    • 1st Nov 07, 9:11 AM
    • 1st Nov 07, 9:11 AM
    I know there are healthier ways of preserving mushrooms though but this is yummy.
    Originally posted by catznine
    "Yumminess" is really important to me in using or saving leftovers.

We always cook extra so we can freeze a spare portion for later use. The one criterion is that the mea has to be delicious to be frozen. Otherwise it would just sit in the freezer being avoided. This way we know that whatever "ready meal" we pull out will be tasty.

I'm going to try your mushroom tip later.
    • moneyowen
    • By moneyowen 1st Nov 07, 12:05 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 180 Thanks
    moneyowen
    • 1st Nov 07, 12:05 PM
    • 1st Nov 07, 12:05 PM
    Only this Sunday a friend of mine was quite amused to see me mash up all the left over veg and put it in a bowl in the fridge it was used up the next day fried up with bacon and egg my family love it its something I've done since my nan taught me to do it as a young girl. My nan hated any waste another thing I do is dry out all the stale bread for breadcrumbs and keep it in the freezer to mix in with hm beefburgers treacle tart etc. My nan had twelve children so she made sure nothing went to waste
    • Horace
    • By Horace 1st Nov 07, 12:24 PM
    • 14,111 Posts
    • 24,783 Thanks
    Horace
    I see that the government is now telling us to use our leftovers - I always have same as my Mum.
    Sunday dinner - huge sausage casserole (sausage, onion, carrot, tinned toms and pear barley)
    Monday dinner - portion of sausage casserole with added peas and spuds
    Tuesday dinner - yet more casserole (I love it) with some leftover cheese and crusty bread.
    Tuesday lunch was an experiment: savoury bread & butter pudding (omitted sugar) so made it with milk, bread, dried herbs, salt n pepper, bacon bits and cheese - yum. (I just cut the mould off the bread...eww)
    Semper in faeces profundum variat

Make 5 a day challenge Oct 2014 126.00/155
    Make 5 a day challenge Nov 2014 157.40/150
    Make 10 a day challenge Dec 2014 392.90/310
  • mummy_Jay
    left over mash potato, add any left over carrot/peas etc and fry it, and you get bubble n squeak. It's really nice.

If you have left over veg not already cooked, stir frys

Another one I like is to put cold cook veg at the bottom of a yorkshire pudding tin, mix up some yorkshire pudding mix, cook it and hey presto rabbit in a hole (same as toad in the hole but with veggies)

cottage pie type things, chuck it all in a pot with a little gravy and put some mash or pie crust over the top and either cook it then or freeze it.
    • Aril
    • By Aril 1st Nov 07, 1:14 PM
    • 1,882 Posts
    • 16,755 Thanks
    Aril
    Cooked veg can be added to a quiche. Cold leftover sausages finds its way into risotto. Like many others leftovers from the SC are frozen and then reappear as soup...I also use up all old veg to make soup. Bits of bread are blitzed for crumbs and then frozed for later use.
    Aril
    Aiming for a life of elegant frugality wearing a new-to-me silk shirt rather than one of hair!
    • JoeyEmma
    • By JoeyEmma 1st Nov 07, 1:17 PM
    • 914 Posts
    • 1,499 Thanks
    JoeyEmma
    I can't seem to get into the habit of using all our veg each week (I don't buy huge amounts but clearly I buy too much) and it ends up in the compost bin.
    Originally posted by Sola
    Do you buy prepacked fruit and veg or buy it loose? Buying loose veg cuts down loads on wastage. I get a lot of my veg at the local greengrocers, it saves money and cuts back on (a bit) of wastage.

I also use these bags, which my OH calls a freak of nature. I have no idea how they work, but they do. I seal them with a clip and reuse them, as they are quite http://www.lakeland.co.uk/product.aspx/!1932_1094_1092 My mum had them and raved about them, and I thought she'd been conned by another useless scam, but then I read about them on here and thought I'd give em a go. Isn't it bad when you trust MSE more that your mother?
  • Sola
    I was buying loose, but DH is recovering from an operation so I don't get out to the shops as much as I did because I have to be on hand for him when I'm not at work and get Mr. Sainsburys to deliver to the door once a week; perhaps that's my problem.
    • Jolaaled
    • By Jolaaled 1st Nov 07, 8:03 PM
    • 1,038 Posts
    • 2,504 Thanks
    Jolaaled
    For me it was the way I was brought up, post war rationing, eat it or go without and never waste food

Oddly enough there was an interview on "Today" radio 4 only 30 minutes ago about food waste

There is a new web site going live at 0900 this morning with loads of tips [so they said], but for the life of me I can't remember what it was called
    Originally posted by Farway
    Found this link from Sunday's Guardian:

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,2200647,00.html
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 1st Nov 07, 8:18 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    Originally posted by Jolaaled
    Good article but I take issue with the prevalent belief that people are fat because they don't cook any more. I could do with losing a few stone, but I cook everything from scratch. I don't think the obesity problem is because we don't cook, it is because we eat too much whether it be junk, ready-meals or homemade bread.

Anyway I digress, wartime cooking habits can teach us a lot about economy in the kitchen.
    • Churchmouse
    • By Churchmouse 1st Nov 07, 8:38 PM
    • 2,974 Posts
    • 20,708 Thanks
    Churchmouse
    And to shove in my twopenneth My grandmother, and even my mother would have thought nothing of reheating (cooking?) food twice or more! Nowadays the food police are on us in an instant. Cook once, reheat once, then bin Also food does not *go off* at the stroke of midnight on its *date*, and back then food wasn't dated I do throw some food away because I don't *trust* it and my mother used to be horrified

I think if they want us to use leftovers (wish my greedy lot left some!) then they'll have to rethink a lot of their food doctrine.
    You never get a second chance to make a first impression.
    • Jolaaled
    • By Jolaaled 1st Nov 07, 9:53 PM
    • 1,038 Posts
    • 2,504 Thanks
    Jolaaled

Originally posted by Farway
    The new website that they referred to is:

http://www.lovefoodhatewaste.com/

Looks interesting!
    • Debt_Free_Chick
    • By Debt_Free_Chick 2nd Nov 07, 12:12 AM
    • 13,149 Posts
    • 9,492 Thanks
    Debt_Free_Chick
    OK - you're not only preparing and cooking too much, but you're buying too much if you're throwing raw veg away.

Keep it simple .... start by buying less. You'll need to experiment to get it right, but simply buy less.

At the same time prepare a little less. I think many of us have a tendency to overestimate the amount one person can eat, let alone 2, 3 or more. And then we tend to "throw a couple extra in, just in case". Well stop it

Buy less, prepare less and then re-evaluate after a couple of weeks.

If you run out of veg, you can always substitute pulses .... not for 10 meals running! Just for the odd one, here and there
  • rosieben
    And to shove in my twopenneth My grandmother, and even my mother would have thought nothing of reheating (cooking?) food twice or more! Nowadays the food police are on us in an instant. Cook once, reheat once, then bin Also food does not *go off* at the stroke of midnight on its *date*, and back then food wasn't dated I do throw some food away because I don't *trust* it and my mother used to be horrified

I think if they want us to use leftovers (wish my greedy lot left some!) then they'll have to rethink a lot of their food doctrine.
    Originally posted by Churchmouse
    You're so right!! I remember my mother would make a huge pan of stew (I am the youngest of 8) and that would be reheated over 3 days or however long it could be stretched with extra potatoes and dumplings added. I am careful with out of date stuff, but if it looks ok, smells ok and has been stored properly I usually take a chance, and I use the 'does it float in water' test for eggs.
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

622Posts Today

5,079Users online

Martin's Twitter