Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fuzzgun19
    • By fuzzgun19 20th Jul 18, 11:24 AM
    • 7,370Posts
    • 60,650Thanks
    fuzzgun19
    PCN - Excel Parking
    • 20th Jul 18, 11:24 AM
    PCN - Excel Parking 20th Jul 18 at 11:24 AM
    Hello all, I've received a PCN through the post, here's my side -

My car was parked at a car park (free after 6pm) at 18.45, it came to light they use reg number recognition, so the car was moved.

A letter was received charging extortionate money for! entering at 18.31, leaving at 18.55.

I want to appeal this, can anyone point me to a template letter or give further advice please?
    Last edited by fuzzgun19; 21-07-2018 at 1:19 PM.
    I Hate Jobsworths!!!
Page 2
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 23rd Jul 18, 3:28 PM
    • 62,736 Posts
    • 75,672 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Sorry to be thick, i've never done this before.
    Nor has anyone - most people here are new - but it's hardly difficult to skim past all those that say 'I' and pick out the blinking obvious:

the charge notice was not fixed to my vehicle

Clearly that is safe and says nothing.

Can we never have this question ever asked again, please? Come on, be confident and proactive.
    • fuzzgun19
    • By fuzzgun19 23rd Jul 18, 4:37 PM
    • 7,370 Posts
    • 60,650 Thanks
    fuzzgun19
    Appeal by email, or by snail mail (with free Certificate of Posting from your PO counter) - not every one has computer access, so snail mail must be an option?

Both above avoid the need to incriminate yourself via their booby-trap drop-down box.
    Originally posted by Umkomaas
    Thank you. I've looked at the PCN again and the website and cannot see any way of contacting them by email, so I'd either have to choose a non-incriminating option on the drop down list or use royal Mail.
    I Hate Jobsworths!!!
    • fuzzgun19
    • By fuzzgun19 23rd Jul 18, 4:49 PM
    • 7,370 Posts
    • 60,650 Thanks
    fuzzgun19
    Nor has anyone - most people here are new - but it's hardly difficult to skim past all those that say 'I' and pick out the blinking obvious:

the charge notice was not fixed to my vehicle

Clearly that is safe and says nothing.

Can we never have this question ever asked again, please? Come on, be confident and proactive.
    Originally posted by Coupon-mad
    That's what I came to this section for, people who have dealt with these scum bags before and can advise someone who is stuck.
    I Hate Jobsworths!!!
    • Redx
    • By Redx 23rd Jul 18, 4:52 PM
    • 19,647 Posts
    • 24,941 Thanks
    Redx
    why limit it to only those who are newbies and have been stung by the sc@mmers ?

personally, I would want the best advice possible, even if it comes from those who know about the sc@ms and who know better than to get a ticket

I would hope that MARTIN LEWIS would give me the best advice on topics he knows about, even if he has never personally been sc@mmed by those people

experts tend to have NOT been sc@mmed by people like EXCEL (or PREMIER PARK or whoever) , I know I havent, but it hasnt stopped me helping people on here for about 6 years

IF IN DOUBT , USE SNAIL MAIL WITH A FREE PROOF OF POSTING CERTIFICATE FROM THE PO COUNTER
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • fuzzgun19
    • By fuzzgun19 6th Aug 18, 11:36 AM
    • 7,370 Posts
    • 60,650 Thanks
    fuzzgun19
    A letter has arrived declining my appeal.

From what I can see the next stage it this? http://www.popla.co.uk/

They state in the letter about the signs at the car park being clear, and say they issued the charge correctly.

Is it worth pursuing? as it was a case of mistaken car park and the car parked in the wrong one.. would my car have a leg to stand on?
    I Hate Jobsworths!!!
    • nosferatu1001
    • By nosferatu1001 6th Aug 18, 1:27 PM
    • 3,722 Posts
    • 4,532 Thanks
    nosferatu1001
    Does it say, on your appeal rejection, to appeal to POPLA?

If YES, then NEWBIES thread tells you what to do, plus you are of course expected to do some reading around other POPOLA appeals

If it tells you to appeal to the IAS, then again the newbies thread covers this.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 6th Aug 18, 1:30 PM
    • 19,803 Posts
    • 31,274 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    You won't be appealing to POPLA as this is Excel, an IPC Operator. Don't bother with the IAS - read the NEWBIES FAQ sticky, post #3.
    The fact that I have commented on your thread does not mean I have become your personal adviser. A long list of subsequent questions addressed for my personal attention is unlikely to receive a reply.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • fuzzgun19
    • By fuzzgun19 6th Aug 18, 2:06 PM
    • 7,370 Posts
    • 60,650 Thanks
    fuzzgun19
    Thanks. It says on their letter I can appeal with IAS.

Can anyone confirm if thats correct please?

I Hate Jobsworths!!!
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 6th Aug 18, 2:37 PM
    • 19,803 Posts
    • 31,274 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    Of course it's correct - but only futility lies in an appeal to the IAS.
    The fact that I have commented on your thread does not mean I have become your personal adviser. A long list of subsequent questions addressed for my personal attention is unlikely to receive a reply.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • Snakes Belly
    • By Snakes Belly 6th Aug 18, 3:21 PM
    • 237 Posts
    • 221 Thanks
    Snakes Belly
    Fuzzgun, I think that when people get a PCN they are under the misapprehension that they will be dealing with reasonable people or at least with a modicum of common sense. They are ruthless.

I made the mistake of appealing to IAS before I had done my homework. It is a total waste of time and a bruising experience.
    • IamEmanresu
    • By IamEmanresu 6th Aug 18, 4:14 PM
    • 3,664 Posts
    • 5,995 Thanks
    IamEmanresu
    I made the mistake of appealing to IAS before I had done my homework. It is a total waste of time and a bruising experience.
    Parliament is debating new laws to replace the IAS - sums them up and answers your question.
    If you want to win - avoid losing first. Here are a few examples
    1. Failing to Acknowledge or Defend https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5760415
    2. Template defences that say nothing https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5818671&page=5#86
    3. Forgetting about the Witness Statement
    • fuzzgun19
    • By fuzzgun19 6th Aug 18, 5:34 PM
    • 7,370 Posts
    • 60,650 Thanks
    fuzzgun19
    Fuzzgun, I think that when people get a PCN they are under the misapprehension that they will be dealing with reasonable people or at least with a modicum of common sense. They are ruthless.

Originally posted by Snakes Belly
    So Im wasting my time appealing again?

I already thought these companies are unreasonable hence me asking for guidance on here.

If I have to explain why my car parked there for 23 mins, surely I would have no hope of winning.

Obviously I would like to try to appeal again, but dont want to have to deal with a court case I couldnt cope with.
    I Hate Jobsworths!!!
    • IamEmanresu
    • By IamEmanresu 6th Aug 18, 5:40 PM
    • 3,664 Posts
    • 5,995 Thanks
    IamEmanresu
    but dont want to have to deal with a court case I couldnt cope with.
    Basically it is double or quits. Pay the 100 knowing you've been scammed or stick here and see it off - of it ever comes to a claim as few do.

Odds are in your favour but you have to grow some.
    If you want to win - avoid losing first. Here are a few examples
    1. Failing to Acknowledge or Defend https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5760415
    2. Template defences that say nothing https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5818671&page=5#86
    3. Forgetting about the Witness Statement
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 6th Aug 18, 5:42 PM
    • 9,870 Posts
    • 10,199 Thanks
    KeithP
    So Im wasting my time appealing again?
    Originally posted by fuzzgun19
    Yes you are.
    • fuzzgun19
    • By fuzzgun19 7th Aug 18, 11:17 AM
    • 7,370 Posts
    • 60,650 Thanks
    fuzzgun19
    I notice the letter says if I appeal through IAS the reduced charge offered will no longer apply.

Should I pay the 60 now, or appeal.. is there ANY chance I would get a successful appeal?

Has anyone won against Excel parking?
    I Hate Jobsworths!!!
    • Snakes Belly
    • By Snakes Belly 7th Aug 18, 11:53 AM
    • 237 Posts
    • 221 Thanks
    Snakes Belly
    I am not an expert on parking law but from my own experience of appealing to IAS I would say it is very unlikely that an appeal will succeed. Your case may be different to mine as I had admitted that I was driving. IAS appear to assess the case on criteria rather than a judgemental decision so no mitigating circumstances will be taken into account. They will base the decision purely on contract law and the likely outcome will be that you did not comply with the terms and conditions by displaying a valid ticket.

People have won against Excel in court and I am hoping to win against them.
    Last edited by Snakes Belly; 07-08-2018 at 12:51 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,167Posts Today

7,333Users online

Martin's Twitter