Struggling with indecision

Options

Comments

• pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm in a similar situation, with OH not willing to part with anything, he even brought stuff from my parents' and from DS' houses.

When we both worked I was able to sneak stuff to dump and charity shops st half-term, impossible now!

Actually, I realise I've just missed a chance to negotiate: he wanted to change the car. I should have said I agree if you'll sort the garage or the loft.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • humptydumptybits
    Options
    I'm another who struggles with the same problem. My husband is disabled and I have frankly told him how I feel, he is nearly 10 years older than me quite apart from the health issues and the likelihood is I am going to be a widow. Will I be well enough by then to sort it all out? He makes all the right replies but nothing gets done. I've never been a hoarder so very little that I can do to make a difference, I could pack my clothes and photos in a couple of suitcases if need be. He has so much stuff.

I also worry about where we live, we are over 100 miles from nearest child 250 to the furthest and I don't want to be left here alone. If it was just my choice I would move closer to my children, if I moved 150 miles I would be within 40 miles of 3 of them. He has recently said that in the next couple of years he will agree to selling our 2 btl properties and then buy a place where I want. We can have it for weekends and holidays and if I am left alone then I can move into it and sell here. Some progress although it seems horrible to discuss and make these plans but I don't want to be left here and not fit enough to move on.

Over the last 2 years I've pretty well redecorated the house myself, I just can't do the hall stairs and landing so at some stage that will be a battle. Similarly we need a new bathroom and he isn't agreeing to that but I will keep plugging away.

You have my heartfelt sympathy, it is a hard battle but we have to be practical.
  • Tabbytabitha
    Tabbytabitha Posts: 4,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I am at a time in my life when I want to make the future easier to cope with, but am struggling with the present!
    I am in good health, been retired 11 years, despite my username.
    DH is about the same age, but in less good health, arthritis, type 2 diabetes, well controlled, angina. He went back to work twice and has only just fully retired. We both do voluntary work and I have family close by but very busy, his are further away but in touch.
    The house desperately needs decorating, some new carpets and a number of minor jobs. In the old days DH did all the decorating but cannot do it now. He admits to needing help in the garden too but has not found anybody yet. Money is not the issue.
    The house is full to overflowing, making decorating and new carpets almost impossible.
    I don’t know where to begin as he makes so much fuss about getting anybody in to do anything, even the window cleaner is a nuisance to him. I just dare not raise theses issues as he will have an angina attack.
    We are both to some extent hoarders of useful or sentimental stuff
    ( not like the stuff you see in those tv hoarders programmes) but there is so much of it including the garage and loft full. One of these days he will drop dead or become incapacitated and I won’t know where to start with it all but at least I won’t need his agreement any more. I know from decluttering threads that others are in this position but I need to get his agreement to get decorators in then we will have to clear some space. Any advice, without upsetting the Apple cart?

Surely the answer is for you to do the decorating etc, at least while you're in good health?
  • humptydumptybits
    Options
    Surely the answer is for you to do the decorating etc, at least while you're in good health?

I'd never done any decorating before my husband was disabled. The first time I managed to hang wallpaper I was so proud of myself, it took about 5 times longer than it would have taken DH when he was well but I did it! Fixed the leaking tap last week, another first. I'm too much of a coward to do the stairs, maybe I will get there but then again maybe not.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 22 July 2018 at 12:55PM
    Options
    Some hard decisions there Humpty.....but I think a move would probably be for the best if you can swing it.

Newly retired I think you are going to have to use a combination of stick and carrot......:rotfl: time for some feminine wiles.

But......First I think just concentrate on your own clutter, dont touch anything of his ........then with a bit of luck he might just might :D be intrigued enough to join in.

The Kondo approach is that you shoulld never dispose of other people's possessions without their permission. I think that's fair. I think I would be annoyed if someone started diitching my treasures without asking me first.

Re the hall and especially the carpet. If it's getting dangerous, then it needs to be done. Old bones dont mend as easily as new ones and frankly it's just not worth the risk. Similarly think carefully about decorating stair wells etc. You might be able to decorate most rooms yourself but stairways and stairwells aren't easy and again it's not worth the risk of a fall.

At the risk of sounding harsh....then controlled type II diabetes and arthritis does not make him an invalid.....surely he is quite capable of sloshing a bit of emulsion paint around ......he just needs to take his time and pace himself, even if he just did a couple of hours a day.

As for angina......well my father in law has it and he's 96, my dad had it (after previously having had two heart attacks). Dad died at 90, of leukaemia, totally unrelated. If it's managed well then it's not dangerous.....so don't let that worry you too much.

I think you have mentioned before that your husband has found it difficult to adapt to retirement, maybe he needs a project to kick start the old adrenaline again. Could he be suffering from depression. Does he feel that he's lost his identity, his purpose in life. A lot of men go through this when they first retire.....

First the carrot.......You say money isnt issue.....but you could still use the opportunity to sell some of the clutter and then use the money to buy something he would really like. When I cleared my loft I made £1100..easy money. At the time I was skint so used it to pay off debt but if you are ok for money then it could be a nice little bonus.

Then the stick......I am afraid you are going to have to be quite firm.....it's your home too after all. Why should you have to live in a cluttered dingy house that's falling down round your ears when you have the time and the wherewithal to do something about it. Perhaps you need to remind him of that. He really shouldn't be so dogmatic, he has to compromise. A bit of give and take.

He has to learn to play nicely and share the space. He can't hog it all to himself. :rotfl:
  • pearl123
    pearl123 Posts: 2,056 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've got the same situation with my Mum. She a huge hoarder and it makes housework and dusting a pain. After decades of me asking her if we can get rid of anything I know just pop a few things in the bin when she's not looking. It's often my childhood stuff. Ladybird books which have just got old.
  • Newly_retired
    Newly_retired Posts: 2,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Two days ago I gave him an agenda of things we needed to talk about. When nothing had started I took the bull by the horns and waved the list in front of him. It was just headings, no detail. Eg house projects, garden work, finances, LPAs.

Straight away he said we need to replace the stair carpet and from there it was an easy move to say it makes sense to get the hall and stairs decorated first. So far so good. Compromise needed on colour schemes, but the first thing is to get some quotations.
    I contacted four local people and all have responded, with so far three visits fixed. A good day’s progress!

No other items discussed yet but it is a start.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Well done.....good start.:D.
  • ShyAndRetiring
    Options
    Really glad you've made this first breakthrough! Sounds like your approach to the problem was spot on. Will be cheering you on, SaR x
    ~ * ~ "A goal without a plan is just a wish" Antoine de Saint Expuery ~ * ~
  • Mnd
    Mnd Posts: 1,699 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We always compromise on colour schemes, she chooses, I paint

Well done on your progress
    No.79 save £12k in 2020. Total end May £11610
    Annual target £24000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories