Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Newly retired
    • By Newly retired 20th Jul 18, 10:09 AM
    • 2,377Posts
    • 2,756Thanks
    Newly retired
    Struggling with indecision
    • 20th Jul 18, 10:09 AM
    Struggling with indecision 20th Jul 18 at 10:09 AM
    I am at a time in my life when I want to make the future easier to cope with, but am struggling with the present!
    I am in good health, been retired 11 years, despite my username.
    DH is about the same age, but in less good health, arthritis, type 2 diabetes, well controlled, angina. He went back to work twice and has only just fully retired. We both do voluntary work and I have family close by but very busy, his are further away but in touch.
    The house desperately needs decorating, some new carpets and a number of minor jobs. In the old days DH did all the decorating but cannot do it now. He admits to needing help in the garden too but has not found anybody yet. Money is not the issue.
    The house is full to overflowing, making decorating and new carpets almost impossible.
    I dont know where to begin as he makes so much fuss about getting anybody in to do anything, even the window cleaner is a nuisance to him. I just dare not raise theses issues as he will have an angina attack.
    We are both to some extent hoarders of useful or sentimental stuff
    ( not like the stuff you see in those tv hoarders programmes) but there is so much of it including the garage and loft full. One of these days he will drop dead or become incapacitated and I wont know where to start with it all but at least I wont need his agreement any more. I know from decluttering threads that others are in this position but I need to get his agreement to get decorators in then we will have to clear some space. Any advice, without upsetting the Apple cart?
Page 2
    • Mnd
    • By Mnd 3rd Aug 18, 10:22 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 867 Thanks
    Mnd
    We always compromise on colour schemes, she chooses, I paint

Well done on your progress
    • Moneycat
    • By Moneycat 5th Sep 18, 1:16 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Moneycat
    I think i would forget about redecorating/new carpets for now and try and start with the decluttering. If you can achieve that, then the new decor/carpets can be the prize! Are there any areas in your house that are less cluttered? Start with the 'easy wins' first - then you'll see progress and it will spur you on. As others have suggested, try and start with your own things first, the kitchen cupboards (crockery), linen cupboards, your clothes, then bit by bit move to other areas. I would not go down the storage route as you would only be moving the problem and paying for it! - not solving it.
    Is you OH motivated by anything particular? Could he be coaxed in to do a car boot sale/ebay etc? Or make it a challenge to pay for the new paint/carpet with the ebay/boot sales? It's tough but I wouldn't give up, clearing is therapeutic!!!!!
    • Newly retired
    • By Newly retired 15th Sep 18, 1:52 PM
    • 2,377 Posts
    • 2,756 Thanks
    Newly retired
    Update
    Decorator booked, colours chosen, stair carpet chose and measurements taken. Just need a plasterer to do a small job before the decorator comes, so it is all happening.
    • crv1963
    • By crv1963 15th Sep 18, 2:13 PM
    • 442 Posts
    • 997 Thanks
    crv1963
    NR- glad you've made progress. Sometimes we blokes don't see what is in front of us until the need is pointed out! I have the same approach as Mnd, I always wait until Mrs CRV points out the need. We discuss then follow her colour scheme, works well for us!

The garden is my project, and the house hers, I just provide the labour.
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,637Posts Today

8,350Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin