Virgin Media to lose all UKTV channels from Sun 22nd July

Virgin are set to lose all of the UKTV bouquet of channels from midnight this Saturday night. This it seems is due to a disagreement between the two on the ongoing cost of carrying the channels.

Comments

• This includes all of the HD variations, on demand content and virgins TV GO platform. Virgin are introducing new channels to apparently replace these ones including Freesports, your TV, and others.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Just like Sky's "spat" with the Discovery Channels a while back, this will prove to be a storm in a teacup...
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Just like Sky's "spat" with the Discovery Channels a while back, this will prove to be a storm in a teacup...

Exactly my thoughts when I read the thread title!
  • Terry98
    Terry98 Posts: 1,155
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    It does not cover the main UK channels though......https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/jul/19/virgin-media-customers-to-lose-uktvs-10-channels-in-rights-row

I wonder if Virgin would survive without the main UK channels as quite a few of their customers don't have a separate TV aerial?
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Typical click bait were supposed to think it means all main channels
  • Was posting it for general information for people on here, as thought it would be worth knowing. It was not done as 'click bait'
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/jul/19/virgin-media-customers-to-lose-uktvs-10-channels-in-rights-row
    Virgin Media has been locked in negotiations with UKTV, which is jointly owned by the BBC and US giant Discovery, over renewing a deal to carry its TV channel portfolio which includes shows such as Taskmaster, Top Gear, Only Fools and Horses, Red Dwarf, Call The Midwife and One Born Every Minute.

However, the BBC holds backs the video on demand rights to its programming, instead selling them to players such as Netflix. Virgin Media said this strategy was no longer acceptable as viewers expect to be able to watch shows on demand.

Now that's something I didn't know, are Discovery going to try and start up a public campaign and try and force Virgins hand?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Typical click bait were supposed to think it means all main channels
    UKTV are not the main terrestrial channels, they are a separate broadcaster.

How is it in any way "click bait"?
    Terry98 wrote: »
    I wonder if Virgin would survive without the main UK channels as quite a few of their customers don't have a separate TV aerial?
    There is no danger of Virgin losing the Public Service channels as it's in their remit that they appear on all platforms.
  • Terry98
    Terry98 Posts: 1,155
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    UKTV are not the main terrestrial channels, they are a separate broadcaster.

How is it in any way "click bait"?

Thanks you are correct but I only found that out by searching for UKTV.
  • Watching with interest, hopefully a solution will be "found" at the last minute.

Would be intrigued to see if losing channels, some (not sure if all?) are available via freeview, is something that can be used to break out of a contract with Virgin?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure