Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • doleawg
    • By doleawg 17th Jul 18, 11:50 AM
    • 31Posts
    • 4Thanks
    doleawg
    Best Cashback/ Points Card?
    • 17th Jul 18, 11:50 AM
    Best Cashback/ Points Card? 17th Jul 18 at 11:50 AM
    Been with Tesco for years but they just treated me like crap so moving cards. Been reading everything here and am confused as to best options. Spend on average 4k per month on a card but pay off in full every month.

Wants
    Cash or points (have a nectar account)

Dont Want
    Amex
    Air Miles
Page 1
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 17th Jul 18, 11:58 AM
    • 7,975 Posts
    • 8,877 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 17th Jul 18, 11:58 AM
    • 17th Jul 18, 11:58 AM
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/cashback-credit-cards/ summarises the best options for cashback and also includes links to the other articles about Nectar, etc....
    • doleawg
    • By doleawg 17th Jul 18, 12:03 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    doleawg
    • 17th Jul 18, 12:03 PM
    • 17th Jul 18, 12:03 PM
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/cashback-credit-cards/ summarises the best options for cashback and also includes links to the other articles about Nectar, etc....
    Originally posted by eskbanker
    Thanks I had read all that but it separates cash and points, I'm interested in others experiences of (Amex aside) which delivers the most return. Cheers
    • stevenhp1987
    • By stevenhp1987 17th Jul 18, 2:19 PM
    • 695 Posts
    • 545 Thanks
    stevenhp1987
    • 17th Jul 18, 2:19 PM
    • 17th Jul 18, 2:19 PM
    Why not an Amex? They will undoubtedly give you the highest rate of return.

Perhaps an Amex as a main card alongside a cashback/miles earning Visa/Mastercard for the minority of places that don't take it?
    • doleawg
    • By doleawg 17th Jul 18, 2:25 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    doleawg
    • 17th Jul 18, 2:25 PM
    • 17th Jul 18, 2:25 PM
    Why not an Amex? They will undoubtedly give you the highest rate of return.

Perhaps an Amex as a main card alongside a cashback/miles earning Visa/Mastercard for the minority of places that don't take it?
    Originally posted by stevenhp1987
    Its a PITA budgeting and managing spending with Amex as it is surprising how many places don't accept them, however one gripe was pay pal which does now accept them?

Lets see what others say. I may be tempted! Tescos really pee'd me off, hide a new change in terms, billed me 55 and said they didn't care about my long term history so simple thing to do is move.
    • msallen
    • By msallen 17th Jul 18, 2:50 PM
    • 877 Posts
    • 986 Thanks
    msallen
    • 17th Jul 18, 2:50 PM
    • 17th Jul 18, 2:50 PM
    Its a PITA budgeting and managing spending with Amex as it is surprising how many places don't accept them
    Originally posted by doleawg
    Really? What do you spend on. I can't remember the last place I was unable to use an Amex.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 17th Jul 18, 2:54 PM
    • 2,056 Posts
    • 1,159 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 17th Jul 18, 2:54 PM
    • 17th Jul 18, 2:54 PM
    An AMEX Nectar card then?
    • doleawg
    • By doleawg 17th Jul 18, 4:23 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    doleawg
    • 17th Jul 18, 4:23 PM
    • 17th Jul 18, 4:23 PM
    Really? What do you spend on. I can't remember the last place I was unable to use an Amex.
    Originally posted by msallen
    I have a work Amex and its quite regular in smaller places that they don't accept. 3 places in Glasgow 2 weeks ago. Its quite annoying at times but my annoyance with Tesco is such that I may suffer to prove a point.
    • doleawg
    • By doleawg 8th Sep 18, 5:13 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    doleawg
    • 8th Sep 18, 5:13 PM
    • 8th Sep 18, 5:13 PM
    Originally posted by msallen
    Moved now from Tesco to Amex cashback. It is an issue how many retailers don't accept Amex and some large ones too. B&Q, Dunelm are 2 in the last week, still will persevere but will monitor this site for new Mastercard or Visa offers.
    • nic_c
    • By nic_c 9th Sep 18, 12:31 PM
    • 1,701 Posts
    • 911 Thanks
    nic_c
    Well a lot more take it now than did several years ago. B&Q don't take contactless payments, or apple pay or google pay, so saying they don't take Amex is no real surprise.
    • terafarma
    • By terafarma 11th Sep 18, 10:05 AM
    • 102 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    terafarma
    Moved now from Tesco to Amex cashback. It is an issue how many retailers don't accept Amex and some large ones too. B&Q, Dunelm are 2 in the last week, still will persevere but will monitor this site for new Mastercard or Visa offers.
    Originally posted by doleawg
    Why not give Tandem Mastercard Cashback credit card a try? It gives 0.5% cashback on all purchases both home and abroad. No venture, no gain as the saying goes.
    Last edited by terafarma; 11-09-2018 at 10:09 AM.
    Money is like a bird.....if mishandled, will simply fly away....
    • guesswho2000
    • By guesswho2000 11th Sep 18, 10:37 AM
    • 1,596 Posts
    • 743 Thanks
    guesswho2000
    Why not give Tandem Mastercard Cashback credit card a try? It gives 0.5% cashback on all purchases both home and abroad. No venture, no gain as the saying goes.
    Originally posted by terafarma

And even this is more than they're making from interchange, so unless their income from interest or other fees exceeds the cashback expenditure, it's unsustainable, but the best (as in 0.5% being the best rate you'll get, not necessarily the best card) you'll get.

Amex is the way forward, for now at least, with a Visa/MC backup for the few places which don't accept it.

I remember the good old days of 1.25% ongoing on the CapitalOne World Mastercard, with 5% for the first three months. Those days are long gone.
    • doleawg
    • By doleawg 11th Sep 18, 10:41 AM
    • 31 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    doleawg
    Its a bit of a minor pain to use but I will get 1% with Amex so its worth it, not worth with the amount I spend on CC's to lose that .5%
    • Razoo
    • By Razoo 15th Sep 18, 9:33 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Razoo

I just went onto the Tandem website to apply for the Tandem 0.5% Mastercard Cashback credit card, but baled out when I realised that all Tandem really want to do is promote their Tandem App.

The Tandem App is a money management app that requires a lot of sensitive information about the users' bank accounts. It's not for me!

I couldn't establish whether the credit card would be available if I didn't sign up to the Tandem App.
    _____
    Razoo
    • studentsaver_88
    • By studentsaver_88 15th Sep 18, 11:13 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    studentsaver_88
    Yes you don't need to link any accounts and they do paper statements so you don't even need the app.
    • planteria
    • By planteria 16th Sep 18, 11:58 AM
    • 5,023 Posts
    • 1,115 Thanks
    planteria
    that has been my formula for years.
    • bd10
    • By bd10 16th Sep 18, 12:00 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    bd10
    If you do not want miles or travel perks, have you considered Amex's cash back cards? They have two platinum ones with different earning rates. Also, they have a Nectar credit card. Check the math based on your monthly spend if these 3 would make sense. Card management with Amex is very good, a direct debit for the balance in full is straight forward to set up (unlike with Halifax...).
    I would also check the typical spending over the past x months to whether the retailers/shops accept Amex. In my case, all but the dry cleaner accepts Amex, so it was a no brainer for me.
    Last edited by bd10; 16-09-2018 at 12:02 PM.
    • doleawg
    • By doleawg 16th Sep 18, 12:15 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    doleawg
    If you do not want miles or travel perks, have you considered Amex's cash back cards? They have two platinum ones with different earning rates. Also, they have a Nectar credit card. Check the math based on your monthly spend if these 3 would make sense. Card management with Amex is very good, a direct debit for the balance in full is straight forward to set up (unlike with Halifax...).
    I would also check the typical spending over the past x months to whether the retailers/shops accept Amex. In my case, all but the dry cleaner accepts Amex, so it was a no brainer for me.
    Originally posted by bd10
    Average 45k per annum spend on credit cards, no debt every built up. I would say 97% covered by Amex.
    • Razoo
    • By Razoo 16th Sep 18, 10:08 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Razoo

I want a Visa or Mastercard credit card to back up my American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday Credit Card. I do have a TSB Mastercard, but I'm still having problems with the TSB website. When I try to look at my credit card statements, often as not, I get logged out instead.

I use my American Express Cashback Credit Card for absolutely everything that I can, so I only need a Visa/Mastercard for occasional purchases. Nevertheless, I may as well get 0.5% cashback when I do use it.

I noticed that some online retailers won't take American Express, but they will take PayPal. The trick is to open a PayPal account and register your American Express Cashback Credit Card as the primary funding source. That way payments can be made via PayPal and the American Express cashback is still earned.

I also discovered last week that the DVLA will accept American Express (without any additional charge) via their online Electronic Vehicle Licensing web service, but they won't accept American Express via their DVLA telephone Interactive Voice Response (IVR) service. An unexplained inconsistency there, but useful cashback if you use the online service to tax your car.
    _____
    Razoo
    • doleawg
    • By doleawg 17th Sep 18, 9:08 AM
    • 31 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    doleawg
    I want a Visa or Mastercard credit card to back up my American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday Credit Card. I do have a TSB Mastercard, but I'm still having problems with the TSB website. When I try to look at my credit card statements, often as not, I get logged out instead.

I use my American Express Cashback Credit Card for absolutely everything that I can, so I only need a Visa/Mastercard for occasional purchases. Nevertheless, I may as well get 0.5% cashback when I do use it.

I noticed that some online retailers won't take American Express, but they will take PayPal. The trick is to open a PayPal account and register your American Express Cashback Credit Card as the primary funding source. That way payments can be made via PayPal and the American Express cashback is still earned.

I also discovered last week that the DVLA will accept American Express (without any additional charge) via their online Electronic Vehicle Licensing web service, but they won't accept American Express via their DVLA telephone Interactive Voice Response (IVR) service. An unexplained inconsistency there, but useful cashback if you use the online service to tax your car.
    _____
    Razoo
    Originally posted by Razoo
    I don't see the point. I have to carry my First Direct visa card in case I need cash so just using that now for non-Amex items, Carry a 3rd card just in case I have to spend 10 non Amex, nah?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

587Posts Today

6,540Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin