Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ThomasP
    • By ThomasP 17th Jul 18, 11:30 AM
    • 39Posts
    • 1,798Thanks
    ThomasP
    0 WOW
    Airport Lounge Hacks
    • 17th Jul 18, 11:30 AM
    0 WOW
    Airport Lounge Hacks 17th Jul 18 at 11:30 AM
    Does anyone know of any VIP airport lounge hacks? I hoping for any free trial deals that don't make you commit to a year of it!

We're off to Malaga next week and never been in one, so want to see if its worth it.

Thanks.
Page 2
    • stevie11
    • By stevie11 23rd Jul 18, 4:12 PM
    • 524 Posts
    • 274 Thanks
    stevie11
    I hadnít used a lounge until last year but have now used four. It was very good to be able to shower before my flight home from Chile but other than that I could have survived without it. I really donít think that theyíre particularly worth it otherwise.

Okay, so itís nice to have comfortable seats and a bite to eat and a beer but they arenít the be all and end all. I wouldnít pay for access if I wasnít given it due to the flight ticket.
    Originally posted by Ballard
    I can see both points of view on the value of lounge access. Having experienced some of the best oneworld lounges over the last few years I.e Honk Kong, Heathrow and LA I can definitely say they are worth it but only come through airline status or being guested. Although access is a privelage of status indirectly the customer has paid for access through the amount of travel. Whereas the paid for lounge say £25 a time the customer will need to consume a few alcoholic drinks to make it worth while compared to going to a bar or restaurant airside. As a one off when in a party it may be a good way to start the holiday.

If a regular traveller then a yearly membership scheme can be worth it to escape the crowds and get rest before flying.

Even some of the airline lounges, similar to paid for have limited food options and can get overcrowded at times. Overall if you want to pay out for the experience go for it but don't expect luxury.
    • Ballard
    • By Ballard 23rd Jul 18, 6:16 PM
    • 2,076 Posts
    • 1,954 Thanks
    Ballard
    I flew business to get lounge access and it was good but I didnít want to eat and drink too much before a long haul flight. I valued the priority security almost as much tbh.

Iím off to the Philippines in November and that will probably be more worthwhile as I have around 3 hours in Dubai each way so I will be able to shower and relax. Both are in the small hours so I doubt that Iíll be interested in any food or drink thatís on offer.
    I hate verisimilitude.
    • stevie11
    • By stevie11 23rd Jul 18, 7:49 PM
    • 524 Posts
    • 274 Thanks
    stevie11
    I flew business to get lounge access and it was good but I didnít want to eat and drink too much before a long haul flight. I valued the priority security almost as much tbh.

Iím off to the Philippines in November and that will probably be more worthwhile as I have around 3 hours in Dubai each way so I will be able to shower and relax. Both are in the small hours so I doubt that Iíll be interested in any food or drink thatís on offer.
    Originally posted by Ballard
    Some of the Business/first class lounges have full sit down dining which can in some cases be better than the offering in the air.

It is handy to have a shower before or after a flight but one of my fondest memories of a lounge was the complimentary massage in the Hong Kong Cathay Pacific Lounge

This is going off topic now and not getting the OP his free lounge access.
    • colcheslad
    • By colcheslad 24th Jul 18, 1:36 PM
    • 166 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    colcheslad
    An unscrupulous and immoral way to achieve the lounge for free (and proper airline / alliance lounges) is to buy a fully refundable business class ticket and simply apply for a refund once you're through.

Only in theory though, of course!
    • Westin
    • By Westin 24th Jul 18, 2:24 PM
    • 1,573 Posts
    • 1,154 Thanks
    Westin
    An unscrupulous and immoral way to achieve the lounge for free (and proper airline / alliance lounges) is to buy a fully refundable business class ticket and simply apply for a refund once you're through.

Originally posted by colcheslad
    Unscrupulous, immoral and a bit of a phaff do you not think?

Just Pony up the £20 odd quid if the lounge access is that important and you have no other status or airline cabin fare entitlement.

I think the Op probably now has his answer that there is no free trial offer of a lounge.
    • shapala
    • By shapala 25th Jul 18, 12:15 PM
    • 390 Posts
    • 14,548 Thanks
    shapala

I thought being a tight Scot I was bad but that takes the biscuit

Agree that the paid for lounges can be very average and also they have time limits normally of 3 or so hours, though I've never seen anyone thrown out. However, if you do have a long wait between flights, I would pay for the privilege to have a drink, read a paper and a nice sit down rather than being in an overcrowded airport terminal (as most are these days) and pay over the odds for food and drink. If it's only an hour or two you have, I wouldn't bother imo.
    • Jane_B
    • By Jane_B 30th Jul 18, 2:41 PM
    • 95 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    Jane_B
    For free, or trial promotions are not done with airport lounges. If you had prepared earlier you could have taken out certain credit cards which offer 6 visits to selected lounges throughout the year, or unlimited (as per Amex)

either pay to enter, or don't. Your choice. I personally wouldn't ever travel now without using them, as I have got used to them, and can't stand waiting in the general airport any more. But to each their own. Free food and drinks are worth it for most.
    • stevenhp1987
    • By stevenhp1987 30th Jul 18, 6:34 PM
    • 719 Posts
    • 555 Thanks
    stevenhp1987

https://nypost.com/2014/01/29/man-uses-first-class-plane-ticket-to-eat-free-for-a-year/

Saw your comment and remembered about this! People have actually done this before... very unscrupulous though!
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 30th Jul 18, 9:57 PM
    • 13,534 Posts
    • 11,492 Thanks
    zagfles
    https://nypost.com/2014/01/29/man-uses-first-class-plane-ticket-to-eat-free-for-a-year/

Saw your comment and remembered about this! People have actually done this before... very unscrupulous though!
    Originally posted by stevenhp1987
    Brilliant! Top moneysaving MSE should do a news item! And not really more "unscrupulous" than a lot of other moneysaving hacks.
    • slinga
    • By slinga 15th Sep 18, 9:48 AM
    • 1,243 Posts
    • 279 Thanks
    slinga
    We're flying Business Class from LHR to Singapore.

LHR to Frankfurt with Lufthansa and Frankfurt to Singapore with Singapore Airlines.

I'm told that the Senator Lounge in Frankfurt has poor food selection and the furnishings are a bit IKEA.

Can we use the Air Canada Maple Leaf lounge instead???

And is there any protocol about which lounges you can use if flying BC.
    It's your money. Except if it's the governments.
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 15th Sep 18, 10:20 AM
    • 5,622 Posts
    • 6,384 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    We're flying Business Class from LHR to Singapore.

LHR to Frankfurt with Lufthansa and Frankfurt to Singapore with Singapore Airlines.

I'm told that the Senator Lounge in Frankfurt has poor food selection and the furnishings are a bit IKEA.

Can we use the Air Canada Maple Leaf lounge instead???

And is there any protocol about which lounges you can use if flying BC.
    Originally posted by slinga
    As you are flying BC with Star Alliance airlines yes you can.

https://www.aircanada.com/uk/en/aco/home/fly/premium-services/maple-leaf-lounges.html
    • slinga
    • By slinga 15th Sep 18, 10:32 AM
    • 1,243 Posts
    • 279 Thanks
    slinga
    As you are flying BC with Star Alliance airlines yes you can.

https://www.aircanada.com/uk/en/aco/home/fly/premium-services/maple-leaf-lounges.html
    Originally posted by Keep pedalling
    Thanks for that.

So what's the 'best' lounge at Heathrow Terminal 2 that we might use??
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 15th Sep 18, 12:18 PM
    • 991 Posts
    • 891 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    Some are very nice. Just a pleasant place to relax and we probably get the money back after a couple of beers/wine each. I suppose its real benefits are if you get delayed.
    • DUKE
    • By DUKE 15th Sep 18, 3:05 PM
    • 7,147 Posts
    • 320,701 Thanks
    DUKE
    I've only ever been to the airport lounge in Cuba, & that was because it was really cheap.

Although ebookers informed me yesterday that seeing as I am now a platinum member I get 2 free lounge passes to be used at any airport. I think I'm expected to book with them again to get these though.
    Thanks everyone!
    • londoninvestor
    • By londoninvestor 15th Sep 18, 6:18 PM
    • 419 Posts
    • 342 Thanks
    londoninvestor
    I found the United one quite nice, and better than Lufthansa. Not that Lufthansa was bad - it certainly beats sitting in the general departure lounge area.

Haven't used Air Canada. I found it a bit confusing understanding which lounges you are allowed to use based on which SA airline you are using. Nothing to lose from turning up and seeing if they let you in.

If you're flying Lufthansa from LHR, you can at the very least use their lounge!
    • stevenhp1987
    • By stevenhp1987 15th Sep 18, 7:05 PM
    • 719 Posts
    • 555 Thanks
    stevenhp1987
    Thanks for that.

I've only been to the United lounge in terminal 2... it's good. Large bar with cocktails, buffet food and is quiet!
    • novelty-socks
    • By novelty-socks 15th Sep 18, 10:51 PM
    • 199 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    novelty-socks
    Thanks for that.

I've not used all the lounges in T2, but I have used a few. This is how I'd rank the ones I've used - I used to fly with United a lot, so have bene to those a lot more than the others:

1. United First Class lounge: proper sit-down dining, table service.
    2. United Business lounge ('United Club'): good bar, lots of space, decent buffet
    3. Singapore lounge: only tried in the evening, food was ok, busy but had decent bar staff and a small kids' area that my son appreciated.
    4. Air Canada: only tried mid-morning - pretty average but the cooked-to-order pancakes were excellent!

If showers are important, the United business lounge doesn't have them. Not sure about the others.

Going way off the subject, I'm using the Virgin Clubhouse in T3 for the first time next week. Anyone know how it compares to these?
    Last edited by novelty-socks; 15-09-2018 at 10:55 PM.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 16th Sep 18, 7:38 AM
    • 12,816 Posts
    • 8,667 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    Going way off the subject, I'm using the Virgin Clubhouse in T3 for the first time next week. Anyone know how it compares to these?
    Originally posted by novelty-socks
    It is much much busier than it used to be since it opened it's doors to Delta.

That aside, it is still one of the best lounges in the world, albeit you can get amazing service or wear the cloak of invisibility.

My tip would be to head straight to the spa and book your treatment https://www.virginatlantic.com/content/dam/vaa/documents/virginexperience/clubhouses/lhr-spa-menu.pdf then depending on timings head to the restaurant and order breakfast (the eggs Benedict is delicious) https://www.virginatlantic.com/content/dam/vaa/documents/virginexperience/clubhouses/6015%20LHR_Clubhouse_A5_menu_2017_Q2.pdf then find a comfy seat - the terrace upstairs is usually quietist. A few Redheads and then a clubhouse burger will set you up for the flight.

If you want to find out more about VS and the clubhouse you should read some of the posts (or join) VFlyer. http://v-flyer.com/index.php

Don't forget if your timings are good you can use Revivals on the return (if in UC) and outward has the fun of the DTCI (drive through check in).

If you don't read Headforpoints you perhaps should at least read Anika's review from the other day and in there are links to Rob's review of it. Rob's review is better as he wasn't short of time.

https://www.headforpoints.com/2018/09/04/review-virgin-atlantic-clubhouse-lounge-heathrow/
    Last edited by theonlywayisup; 16-09-2018 at 7:44 AM.
    • novelty-socks
    • By novelty-socks 16th Sep 18, 11:25 AM
    • 199 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    novelty-socks
    It is much much busier than it used to be since it opened it's doors to Delta.

That aside, it is still one of the best lounges in the world, albeit you can get amazing service or wear the cloak of invisibility.
    Thanks, that's all helpful. I had a break from long-haul travel while my son was very small, so I'm looking forward to my first trip in a while. Good opportunity to try a new airline too - I was loath to give up my United status, but that's all gone and I'm starting from scratch again now!

My fare seems to include some sort of car transfer, so presumably that'll get me to the drive-in check-in. Didn't realize there was an arrivals lounge either - interesting to know!

Will totally check out the breakfast, as my flight leaves around lunchtime. Thanks again - looking forward to it!
    • slinga
    • By slinga 16th Sep 18, 1:13 PM
    • 1,243 Posts
    • 279 Thanks
    slinga
    So in T 2 LHR can I go into the Lufthansa BC lounge and then try the United BC lounge.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

113Posts Today

2,041Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • "Sabrina, you're young. I'm not sure you've the experience I'm looking for in a business partner." Eh? Isn't the pr? https://t.co/IeTxBQq2OU

• I am predicting the word myself will be misused 6 times in today;s boardroom. What do yourself think? #TheApprentice

• Not sure how I ever succeeded running a successful entreprise? After all my gardening and garden design skills are? https://t.co/FFnvkjsGDU

• Follow Martin