Car insurance renewed without renewal invite or confirmation of renewal.

Hi all,

Just looking for a bit of advice on where i stand here.

Initial disclosure: my policy was a 10 month policy with Admiral and i should have been aware of the renewal date.

Its been a bit of a hectic year and, due to some rubbish maths on my part, i thought my renewal date was in early August and not June.
As a result i was expecting my 21 day renewal invite to be coming in around about now and sure enough i got some probing e-mails from some of the aggregate sites enquiring about my renewal.
My policy is handled 100% online, i don't have any physical docs sent out and any correspondence is sent by e-mail. so there is no chance the docs have got 'lost on transit', i even received an e-mail from them only last week, but it was more of a general marketing kind of thing rather than related to my policy.
I renewed last year and i received the renewal invite via e-mail in a timely manner and then the confirmation of renewal when it went through.

This year is a different story, no renewal invite and no confirmation of renewal, i hadn't noticed the money going out (one lump, annual sum) as its taken from a savings account.
I was hoping to take out a 12 month policy this time around so my renewal is mid year.

The renewal price that has been taken is around £900 (my postcode sucks for getting insurance) for a 10 month policy whereas i've been able to find a 12 month quote for £750, which i would much rather go with.

What are my chances of getting a pro-rata refund (i accept that i've been driving under the cover for a month now) considering the lack of notification on Admirals part.

Many thanks for your assistance.

Comments

• Zorillo
    Zorillo Posts: 774 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Ask them, complain about the renewal process if necessary. But be aware that auto renewal is a common practice and you've quite likely signed up to it in the terms and conditions so they might decide they've done nothing wrong.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,318 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    My policy is handled 100% online, i don't have any physical docs sent out and any correspondence is sent by e-mail. so there is no chance the docs have got 'lost on transit', i even received an e-mail from them only last week, but it was more of a general marketing kind of thing rather than related to my policy.

Spam filters can remove emails from your inbox. Some will place it in your spam filter. Some email providers (like apple) will remove them without putting a copy in your spam box. False positive removals then never get seen.

You wouldnt get a letter. If you used email as your original communication method, that is how the renewal goes.
    What are my chances of getting a pro-rata refund (i accept that i've been driving under the cover for a month now) considering the lack of notification on Admirals part.

Always difficult to know the actions of a large company. However, its unlikely.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    The usual get out is that you purchased insurance elsewhere, did you ? No doubt they will be able to prove they sent you notice and confirmation of renewal. Cancelling now will likely be in accordance with their usual procedures so very expensive, I would take this one as a wake up and put a big X on your calendar for next year.
  • Thank you for your responses,

I will give them a ring and see what they say, just wanted to check first
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,412 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    mcevoym wrote: »
    Its been a bit of a hectic year and, due to some rubbish maths on my part, i thought my renewal date was in early August and not June.

FWIW, assuming the renewal emails did get swallowed by your spam filters...

I guess things would have been even worse, if you hadn't got auto-renewal set up.

The renewal invitations would have been filtered out, and you would have been driving uninsured for 2 months.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure