Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mark88man
    • By mark88man 16th Jul 18, 9:49 PM
    • 3,221Posts
    • 6,705Thanks
    mark88man
    E.On threatening Daughter with debt collectors while ombudsman decides
    • 16th Jul 18, 9:49 PM
    E.On threatening Daughter with debt collectors while ombudsman decides 16th Jul 18 at 9:49 PM
    My DD has a case with the ombudsman for systematic failings by E.On who have called/written over 30 times in a 3 months period, bullying and harassing her

is it allowed for them to continue to pursue the bill and threaten debt collectors while the case is still with the ombudsman

my DD has been available and helpful but essentially all calls/emails have been "have you given up yet, and accepted our wisdom" without ever addressing the dispute

Absolutely dreadful - really really very poor - they would be better off nationalised
    Last edited by mark88man; 16-07-2018 at 9:57 PM. Reason: Changed DD in title to Daughter
    Things happen for a reason. Often the reason is we are stupid & make bad decisions.
    Weight - Fluctuating - less than I was more than I should be
    1/18: CC:11.5K@0% - Car Loan:17K@2.8% - Mort:145K@2.9%
    Decrease in Total Debt 2016:13.4K 2017:8.3K 2018-1H:11K
Page 1
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 16th Jul 18, 9:51 PM
    • 9,403 Posts
    • 14,492 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 16th Jul 18, 9:51 PM
    • 16th Jul 18, 9:51 PM
    Why would you be threatened over a direct debit? Then I read the post. Not the greatest of titles.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • mark88man
    • By mark88man 16th Jul 18, 9:54 PM
    • 3,221 Posts
    • 6,705 Thanks
    mark88man
    • 16th Jul 18, 9:54 PM
    • 16th Jul 18, 9:54 PM
    Why would you be threatened over a direct debit? Then I read the post. Not the greatest of titles.
    Originally posted by worried jim
    thanks Jim - fixed it - changed dd in title to Daughter
    Things happen for a reason. Often the reason is we are stupid & make bad decisions.
    • welshmoneylover
    • By welshmoneylover 17th Jul 18, 10:17 AM
    • 2,740 Posts
    • 3,632 Thanks
    welshmoneylover
    • 17th Jul 18, 10:17 AM
    • 17th Jul 18, 10:17 AM
    My DD has a case with the ombudsman for systematic failings by E.On who have called/written over 30 times in a 3 months period, bullying and harassing her

is it allowed for them to continue to pursue the bill and threaten debt collectors while the case is still with the ombudsman

my DD has been available and helpful but essentially all calls/emails have been "have you given up yet, and accepted our wisdom" without ever addressing the dispute

Absolutely dreadful - really really very poor - they would be better off nationalised
    Originally posted by mark88man
    Is she making payments ?
    Be happy, it's the greatest wealth
    • dogshome
    • By dogshome 17th Jul 18, 10:59 AM
    • 3,055 Posts
    • 1,558 Thanks
    dogshome
    • 17th Jul 18, 10:59 AM
    • 17th Jul 18, 10:59 AM
    Should E.on be chasing for payment when the amount is in dispute and the Ombudsman is considering the case ?
    The answer is NO
  • E.ON Company Representative: Helena
    • 17th Jul 18, 12:16 PM
    • 17th Jul 18, 12:16 PM
    Morning mark88man,

When a complaint is raised on an account, the debt collection letters and follow up do continue.

However, as soon as the Ombudsman contacts us, debt follow up will be suspended until they complete their investigation.

To add to this though, if the account has been passed to a third party, we would need to request a manual hold on follow up until the Ombudsman have resolved the complaint.

We do have an Ombudsman liaison team here and it might be worth asking if we have received the casefile.

Thank you

Helena
    Last edited by E.ON Company Representative: Helena; 17-07-2018 at 12:21 PM.
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • mark88man
    • By mark88man 12th Aug 18, 9:11 PM
    • 3,221 Posts
    • 6,705 Thanks
    mark88man
    • 12th Aug 18, 9:11 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 9:11 PM
    3 weeks on and the threatening letters continue.

you should be ashamed of yourselves

how long does it take you recognise that a case is with the ombudsman
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 13th Aug 18, 7:33 AM
    • 27,423 Posts
    • 13,434 Thanks
    Cardew
    • 13th Aug 18, 7:33 AM
    • 13th Aug 18, 7:33 AM
    Have you had confirmation that the ombudsman has contacted Eon?
  • E.ON Company Representative: Helena
    • 13th Aug 18, 11:27 AM
    • 13th Aug 18, 11:27 AM
    Thanks Cardew,

Hi mark88man, as I say above, please do speak to the Ombudsman team, as we need to manually stop the follow up with these sorts of accounts.

Thanks.

Helena
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • Skools_Out
    • By Skools_Out 13th Aug 18, 11:39 AM
    • 134 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    Skools_Out

Threats, bullying or harassment via telephone, email, etc sounds like a breach of the Malicious Communications Act 1988.

I suggest you try to obtain a recording of such as evidence, and then report the matter to the police.

Note that where a threat is made on reasonable grounds to reinforce a demand and that use of the threat was a proper means of reinforcing that demand, that itself would not constitute an offence, however dreadful you may think it is.
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 13th Aug 18, 1:04 PM
    • 5,287 Posts
    • 31,521 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    I suppose that OP Daughter, or OP on her behalf has yet to contact the supplier over this? Or possibly the ombudsman.
    I am Blackbeard of Porthperan!
    The views expressed here are subjective!
    • mark88man
    • By mark88man 13th Aug 18, 10:03 PM
    • 3,221 Posts
    • 6,705 Thanks
    mark88man
    Thanks Cardew,

Hi mark88man, as I say above, please do speak to the Ombudsman team, as we need to manually stop the follow up with these sorts of accounts.

Thanks.

Helena
    Originally posted by E.ON Company Representative: Helena
    I'm sorry - but you know the case is with the ombudsman, as you wrote making a final offer pre ombiudsman - although that was a complete waste of time that took you a month. So how is it now our responsibility to do your admin for you?

Thanks everyone for you help, I will sure that my daughter does follow up as suggested - but I still think its a complete joke. If this is smooth and effective operation of a national asset by a business then give me renationalisation - I'd rather pay more tax than see excess profits go to such a bunch of chancers
    • Skools_Out
    • By Skools_Out 14th Aug 18, 9:10 AM
    • 134 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    Skools_Out
    I'm sorry - but you know the case is with the ombudsman, as you wrote making a final offer pre ombiudsman - although that was a complete waste of time that took you a month. So how is it now our responsibility to do your admin for you?

Not sure how that is any evidence that the supplier has been alerted by the ombudsman that you have filed the complaint with the ombudsman and the ombudsman are now investigationg, and theat the supplier has been informed.

You asked for advice. You were given advice.
    It is, of course, entirely up to you if you elect to follow the helpful advice given to you.
    Or prefer to waste your time ranting on here instead.
    • mark88man
    • By mark88man 14th Aug 18, 8:09 PM
    • 3,221 Posts
    • 6,705 Thanks
    mark88man
    To be fair I both ranted and said I was following advice. I do really appreciate the advice. But
    * Eon made a final offer - she rejected and said she was going to ombudsman
    * Eon said they would raise it with their "special" team and a month later cam back with the same offer
    * Daughter rejected this and said she was taking the case to the ombudsman
    * Daughter then takes case to the ombudsman 2 months ago
    * Ombudsman writes and acknoelwedges receipt

In what universe is it wrong to assume that the penny might have dropped, and that the case was with the ombidsman, and the hounds could be recalled

Just saying - if I operated like that in my business I wouldn't have any business. But I always forget how special utilities are and how they don't care about customers
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 15th Aug 18, 7:29 AM
    • 27,423 Posts
    • 13,434 Thanks
    Cardew
    You still don't know if the ombudsman has contacted Eon. IF you think utility companies are bad, wait till you have more dealings with the ombudsman.

WHy not ask the ombudsman if and when they contacted Eon.
    • mark88man
    • By mark88man 15th Aug 18, 6:30 PM
    • 3,221 Posts
    • 6,705 Thanks
    mark88man
    Fair point Cardew and thanks - I guess I just expected the whole thing to be more joined up.

How do I complain about the ombudsman ;-)
    • welshmoneylover
    • By welshmoneylover 15th Aug 18, 10:05 PM
    • 2,740 Posts
    • 3,632 Thanks
    welshmoneylover
    To be fair I both ranted and said I was following advice. I do really appreciate the advice. But
    * Eon made a final offer - she rejected and said she was going to ombudsman
    * Eon said they would raise it with their "special" team and a month later cam back with the same offer
    * Daughter rejected this and said she was taking the case to the ombudsman
    * Daughter then takes case to the ombudsman 2 months ago
    * Ombudsman writes and acknoelwedges receipt

In what universe is it wrong to assume that the penny might have dropped, and that the case was with the ombidsman, and the hounds could be recalled

Just saying - if I operated like that in my business I wouldn't have any business. But I always forget how special utilities are and how they don't care about customers

Perhaps your daughter is in the wrong?
    Just because a case is taken to the ombudsman doesnt necessarily mean they will side with the customer.
    Perhaps you can give us some details of the complaint and we can offer some advice.
    • Beartricks
    • By Beartricks 16th Aug 18, 12:04 AM
    • 128 Posts
    • 155 Thanks
    Beartricks
    I've been through the Ombudsman with EOn too. I should have just trusted the hundreds of negative reviews for the Ombudsman online and not bothered.

My complaint was over the fact that EOn caused undue stress for myself and my family through both incompetence and not doing what they said they'd do. I'd have loved to have left EOn months ago, but they would not let me. Firstly, EOn refused to put the bill in my name even though everyone involved insisted I had taken over paying it then by the time they'd sorted it out the bill was high enough that they were then blocking me switching to another company.

I asked for the bill to be reduced to what it was at when I thought EOn had finally fixed the issue, as that is when I was planning on leaving. They hadn't sorted it out however and it carried on for a few more months. I feel like the Ombudsman ignored the fact that I was complaining about not being able to leave, and the stress that it had caused within my family; At one point EOn inexplicably billed a family member who I don't speak to instead of me, as if that would force me to pay or them to pay on my behalf. Instead the ombudsman focused on the money and just treated me like someone who was trying to dodge paying his bill. I can more than afford what EOn have said I owe, but all I was after was some kind of acknowledgement and accountability.

This works out well for EOn as their entire MO seems to be to drag things out as long as possible in order to rack up bills and fees. They've chanced it multiple times by trying to whack an extra fee on top of what I owe, then removed the fee as soon as I've challenged it. Multiple times they've asked me to give them a bit of time to look in to something then when I've got in touch nothing has changed or they just reiterate the information they gave me last time I spoke to them.

I've just offered to pay them now, and they've got back to me to say that I should wait for a phonecall from them following contact from the Ombudsman. I know full well that the Ombudsman has been in touch with them. I have emails to say so. I was on the phone, speaking to someone, bank card in hand wanting to give them money and they said I need to wait even longer before I can do that.

It's not even that I've found the Ombudsman incompetent - more spineless than anything. I guess what I'm trying to say is it really wasn't worth it for me, especially as the bills started racking up because by the time you get to the point where you're contacting the Ombudsman anything they award wont make a dent in what you owe.

All of this is my personal experience and the impression I've been given of EOn as a company of course.
    • welshmoneylover
    • By welshmoneylover 16th Aug 18, 5:25 PM
    • 2,740 Posts
    • 3,632 Thanks
    welshmoneylover
    I've been through the Ombudsman with EOn too. I should have just trusted the hundreds of negative reviews for the Ombudsman online and not bothered.

My complaint was over the fact that EOn caused undue stress for myself and my family through both incompetence and not doing what they said they'd do. I'd have loved to have left EOn months ago, but they would not let me. Firstly, EOn refused to put the bill in my name even though everyone involved insisted I had taken over paying it then by the time they'd sorted it out the bill was high enough that they were then blocking me switching to another company.

I asked for the bill to be reduced to what it was at when I thought EOn had finally fixed the issue, as that is when I was planning on leaving. They hadn't sorted it out however and it carried on for a few more months. I feel like the Ombudsman ignored the fact that I was complaining about not being able to leave, and the stress that it had caused within my family; At one point EOn inexplicably billed a family member who I don't speak to instead of me, as if that would force me to pay or them to pay on my behalf. Instead the ombudsman focused on the money and just treated me like someone who was trying to dodge paying his bill. I can more than afford what EOn have said I owe, but all I was after was some kind of acknowledgement and accountability.

This works out well for EOn as their entire MO seems to be to drag things out as long as possible in order to rack up bills and fees. They've chanced it multiple times by trying to whack an extra fee on top of what I owe, then removed the fee as soon as I've challenged it. Multiple times they've asked me to give them a bit of time to look in to something then when I've got in touch nothing has changed or they just reiterate the information they gave me last time I spoke to them.

I've just offered to pay them now, and they've got back to me to say that I should wait for a phonecall from them following contact from the Ombudsman. I know full well that the Ombudsman has been in touch with them. I have emails to say so. I was on the phone, speaking to someone, bank card in hand wanting to give them money and they said I need to wait even longer before I can do that.

It's not even that I've found the Ombudsman incompetent - more spineless than anything. I guess what I'm trying to say is it really wasn't worth it for me, especially as the bills started racking up because by the time you get to the point where you're contacting the Ombudsman anything they award wont make a dent in what you owe.

All of this is my personal experience and the impression I've been given of EOn as a company of course.
    Originally posted by Beartricks

This makes no sense at all.
    How did Eon cause you undue stress?
    • Beartricks
    • By Beartricks 16th Aug 18, 8:59 PM
    • 128 Posts
    • 155 Thanks
    Beartricks
    This makes no sense at all.
    How did Eon cause you undue stress?
    Originally posted by welshmoneylover
    Because that's a vague account of what happened edited down for an internet forum.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,504Posts Today

7,075Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin