Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Fraggy_Muffin
    • By Fraggy_Muffin 14th Jul 18, 7:43 PM
    • 14Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Fraggy_Muffin
    County court claim (paying customer)
    • 14th Jul 18, 7:43 PM
    County court claim (paying customer) 14th Jul 18 at 7:43 PM
    Hello,

I've read through your FAQ and it was advised to create a defence.

In mid jan I arranged to meet a uni friend. We both live far apart but decided to meet half way so agreed on a pub 18 miles from where I live. It was 6-7pm in a freezing dark winter Jan. The pub is in a complex with a costa and petrol station. However I parked on the petrol station part which is signed for 2 hour free stay (car park empty) Stayed for 3 hours or so, luckily for me when I left I went into the petrol station and bought a drink and chewing on my card.

Anyway I got a parking ticket from parking eye. I appealed online sending them a screenshot of my bank statement showing both the money paid to the pub and the petrol station. It was rejected with the reason something on the lines of "it's not enough money". I left it and got 2 more letters.

I have now received a county court letter from Northampton business park with total amount to pay 175.I have visited the petrol station today and spoke to the manager who told me she would have squashed it be once it's gone to the court can't do anything about it.

I'm in no mind to bend to this ridiculous tax! It was pitch black and the car park was empty. As I have proof of payment to the business do you think I have a good chance?

The advantages I feel I have:

2.58 to the business on my card + 6.58 to the business on the same complex.
    Time of day & the time of year. 7-10pm on a friday night in january
    Manager said verbally she would have squashed it
    The large distance of the location from my home address (unfamiliar with location)

Defence: I drove 18 miles from my address to meet a friend in the evening in the pitch black on a cold January evening. I'd never been to this location before and was unaware of any parking restrictions, especially because it was dark. I visited a neighboring pub on the same complex, left and went into the claimants shop to purchase some items. I finally left around 10pm at night and the car park was almost completely empty. How is it acceptable to charge a paying customer 100 for an overstay of 1 hour in the weekday evening when the car park was practically empty?

Any help would be greatly appreciated I have no legal experience at all.
Page 1
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 14th Jul 18, 8:25 PM
    • 9,649 Posts
    • 12,717 Thanks
    beamerguy
    • 14th Jul 18, 8:25 PM
    • 14th Jul 18, 8:25 PM
    "It was rejected with the reason something on the lines of "it's not enough money".

You need to find out what the signs say, do they say
    their must be a min spend ?

The lady you spoke to lied ...... a case can be cancelled
    right up to you waiting to go into the court.

Maybe she got that from Parking Eye as they do lie
    and not long ago they told the same lie to a hotel
    Last edited by beamerguy; 14-07-2018 at 8:34 PM.
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 14th Jul 18, 8:30 PM
    • 20,540 Posts
    • 32,449 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 14th Jul 18, 8:30 PM
    • 14th Jul 18, 8:30 PM
    You need to be reading the NEWBIES FAQ sticky, post #2 and getting your acknowledgement of service (AOS) sent off urgently - put NOTHING in the defence box.

Read the sticky, then start drafting your defence, post it here for one of the vanishingly few regulars (not me) available/prepared to work through it, review and comment.
    Please note, we are not a legal, residential or credit advice forum, rather one that helps motorists fight private parking charges, primarily at the 'front-end' of the process.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • Fraggy_Muffin
    • By Fraggy_Muffin 14th Jul 18, 9:19 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Fraggy_Muffin
    • 14th Jul 18, 9:19 PM
    • 14th Jul 18, 9:19 PM
    Thanks for the replies. I did read the FAQ and read "
    Urgently start your own thread and show us your own tailored draft defense and we'll assist on a case by case basis." I thought that was in relation to the defense section on the form.

I've now responded to the claim online and didn't enter anything in the defense section. After the reading the full section I will say I'm a little daunted. I will try in the morning when I'm a bit more fresh, but it will be nothing like some of the examples.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 14th Jul 18, 9:33 PM
    • 20,540 Posts
    • 32,449 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 14th Jul 18, 9:33 PM
    • 14th Jul 18, 9:33 PM
    Get someone to work alongside you if you're struggling, it is a bit daunting to start with, but the curtain should lift the more you become familiar with the terms and as to how others have dealt with similar situations.

I will try in the morning when I'm a bit more fresh, but it will be nothing like some of the examples.
    But those examples are for you to use. I'd wager that none of the examples you are viewing are the author's own, exclusive work. He/she will have copied and pasted form others who have gone before - you do the same. You don't have to start any of this from scratch.
    Please note, we are not a legal, residential or credit advice forum, rather one that helps motorists fight private parking charges, primarily at the 'front-end' of the process.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • Fraggy_Muffin
    • By Fraggy_Muffin 9th Aug 18, 7:51 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Fraggy_Muffin
    • 9th Aug 18, 7:51 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 7:51 PM
    I've received a directions questionnaire to refer the case to a small claims mediation service. Do you think I should fill it in?
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 9th Aug 18, 8:05 PM
    • 20,540 Posts
    • 32,449 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 9th Aug 18, 8:05 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 8:05 PM
    I've received a directions questionnaire to refer the case to a small claims mediation service. Do you think I should fill it in?
    Originally posted by Fraggy_Muffin
    The NEWBIES FAQ sticky, post #2 gives you pertinent advice on your query.

I would have thought you would have been all over that part of the sticky seeing that you have a potential court case looming.
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 9th Aug 18, 8:18 PM
    • 11,226 Posts
    • 11,793 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 9th Aug 18, 8:18 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 8:18 PM
    Thanks for the replies. I did read the FAQ and read "
    Urgently start your own thread and show us your own tailored draft defense and we'll assist on a case by case basis." I thought that was in relation to the defense section on the form.

I've now responded to the claim online and didn't enter anything in the defense section. After the reading the full section I will say I'm a little daunted. I will try in the morning when I'm a bit more fresh, but it will be nothing like some of the examples.
    I've received a directions questionnaire...
    You tell us you put nothing in the Defence box.

You also tell us you have received a Directions Questionnaire(DQ).

The County Court Business Centre(CCBC) will not send a DQ out if a Defence has not been filed.

Please can you show us the Defence that you filed with the CCBC.

Having said that, the CCBC do make mistakes from time to time.
    Last edited by KeithP; 09-08-2018 at 8:38 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,944Posts Today

7,633Users online

Martin's Twitter