Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Luluayye
    • By Luluayye 13th Jul 18, 10:33 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Luluayye
    I need advice
    • 13th Jul 18, 10:33 PM
    I need advice 13th Jul 18 at 10:33 PM
    I've been in and out of the UK for the past 6 years (I'm British) as my American partner works abroad. Anyway my mother had been using my bank account to deposit her savings which I didn't mind as I wasn't really using it. The issue is my partner has been made redundant and has gone to the USA leaving me with our two children in the UK. We're running out of money quite fast so I'm considering applying for some benefits but I'm assuming my mother's money in my current account will be an issue. I can just set up an account for my mother and deposit it in there, but then I'm assuming the benefits agency will find it strange to see so much money exiting my account. What do I do?
Page 1
    • bspm1
    • By bspm1 13th Jul 18, 10:56 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 167 Thanks
    bspm1
    • 13th Jul 18, 10:56 PM
    • 13th Jul 18, 10:56 PM
    I've been in and out of the UK for the past 6 years (I'm British) as my American partner works abroad. Anyway my mother had been using my bank account to deposit her savings which I didn't mind as I wasn't really using it. The issue is my partner has been made redundant and has gone to the USA leaving me with our two children in the UK. We're running out of money quite fast so I'm considering applying for some benefits but I'm assuming my mother's money in my current account will be an issue. I can just set up an account for my mother and deposit it in there, but then I'm assuming the benefits agency will find it strange to see so much money exiting my account. What do I do?
    Originally posted by Luluayye
    Why wasn't your mother depositing money in her own name?

Yes you are right regarding the Benefits Agency finding it strange to see money exiting your own bank account, not sure what you can do to be honest.
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 13th Jul 18, 11:20 PM
    • 5,185 Posts
    • 3,382 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    • 13th Jul 18, 11:20 PM
    • 13th Jul 18, 11:20 PM
    Why can't your mother set up her own account?

What benefits do you plan on claiming?

Isnit your partner or have you separated?
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 13th Jul 18, 11:21 PM
    • 2,249 Posts
    • 2,625 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    • 13th Jul 18, 11:21 PM
    • 13th Jul 18, 11:21 PM
    What a strange situation.

You may have to reconcile yourself to the fact that the DWP could view money exiting your bank account as notional capital, and it will take considerable persuasion for them to believe this wasn't your money.

If you are not in a UC area, can you apply for Child Tax Credits (it doesn't have capital / savings limits).
    Can your mother help you out?
    Can you find work?

Are you still with your partner (this will affect Tax Credits), or have you separated?

Does your mother claim benefits?
    Last edited by Alice Holt; 13-07-2018 at 11:28 PM.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
    • venison
    • By venison 13th Jul 18, 11:23 PM
    • 2,199 Posts
    • 2,378 Thanks
    venison
    • 13th Jul 18, 11:23 PM
    • 13th Jul 18, 11:23 PM
    Theres not a lot you can do, depending on how much we are talking about?
    For income based benefits savings over 6k will reduce them and over 16k will mean no payment.
    Its a bit odd that she didn't use her own account?
    Former Board Guide
    • _shel
    • By _shel 14th Jul 18, 5:33 AM
    • 1,215 Posts
    • 2,072 Thanks
    _shel
    • 14th Jul 18, 5:33 AM
    • 14th Jul 18, 5:33 AM
    Originally posted by Luluayye
    If you've been in and out of the Uk and have residence in the USA there's a chance you wouldn't meet the habitual residence test anyway.
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 14th Jul 18, 7:29 AM
    • 16,807 Posts
    • 41,497 Thanks
    FBaby
    • 14th Jul 18, 7:29 AM
    • 14th Jul 18, 7:29 AM
    It will look dodgy indeed for you but also for herself. Why would she do this unless she wanted to hide it herself?

I would stay away from benefits at this point, tell your mum to get her own account, and maybe she can lend you the money in the meantime.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

648Posts Today

7,432Users online

Martin's Twitter